Code of Conduct

Question About aroma chemicals?

First off I'd like to say hi to everyone, I've just recently joined basenotes after lurking a while and being a member of other similar forums.

I am beginning to amass the ingredients to make my own perfume creations. Thus far I have got distilled water, glycerine, perfumer's alcohol, several essential oils, atomisers and various pieces of measuring and mixing equipment.

However, I'd like to understand more about the role of aroma chemicals in perfumes. I know that they are used both to substitute and to enhance naturally obtained scents but which chemicals are used in which circumstances?

Is it always better to use natural aromas or are synthetics sometimes better/just as good? (amber/ cedar wood vs. cedramber)?

Are certain aroma chemicals better used for enhancement of a scent rather than to stand alone as a note in themselves?

Sorry for the interrogation.

Kind regards,

Polecat!

EDIT: just wanted to say that I can't get the search function to work properly otherwise I would have been able to research!

Default Re: About aroma chemicals?

try google. enter site:basenotes.net and then your query. works pretty well.
    your questions have been answered before -and then some!- so it's definitely worth it.

Thank you gido! That worked really well! I didn't know you could do that!

Two suggestions here:

First put aside the glycerine and water - you don't need them - you may want to return to them in special circumstances later, but to begin with don't use them.

Second I've suggested some starting materials for beginners on my blog which you may find useful as a place to start. The same blog has quite a lot of other material that may be helpful under the DIY tag.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Thank you Chris! I'm glad to have reference to someone so knowledgeable! I've stumbled across your website prior to coming on to these websites. Your fragrances sound lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by polecat View Post
    Thank you Chris! I'm glad to have reference to someone so knowledgeable! I've stumbled across your website prior to coming on to these websites. Your fragrances sound lovely.
    You're welcome and thanks for the kind words.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.