Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon's bottles: product is great, presentation falls short

I have recently been disappointed with the poor quality of presentation in the Penhaligon's fragrance bottles.

I have 100 ml bottles of Sartorial and Hammam Bouquet and enjoy them a great deal.

I recently ordered a 50 ml bottle of Endymion and was dismayed.

The whimsical purple bow on the plastic cap (which I wish was of glass) was sloppily glued on to the neck of the cap with a huge, unsightly blob of hot glue.

The label was carelessly affixed to the bottle, as well. The adhesive label was so crooked that it was quite obvious, slanted at an angle.

I pay well for my luxe fragrances and was unhappy at this latest purchase. I love the fragrances, but the careless presentation was disappointing.

I know others have had issues with Penhaligon's fragrance bottles? With such wonderful scents, a genuine historical pedigree and their genuine Royal Warrants, one would think they would pay attention to the finer details.

With such inspirations as bespoke tailors Norton and Sons, and Turnbull and Asser, one would thing that attention--as in a fine suit--is in the details.

I have heard others have this problem, too.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Penhaligon's bottles: product is great, presentation falls short

Aw that's no good. I like to have pretty bottles to show off sometimes; when you have family or friends you are showing your collection to you certainly don't want to show them shoddy work.
    Especially since they aren't cheap!

Cost cutting doesn't end with the juice, sadly. I'll say that my Blenheim gift box with atomizer was quite nicely done but in the end we're talking mass production at luxury prices. And holding companies like the one owning Penhaligon's just seem to lack the eye for detail that marks small artisan outfits. Quality control seems to be an issue here. Does anyone know where this stuff is bottled and packed?
    sent from a mobile device - please excuse any swelling mistakes

the_good_life, thank you for the reply.

I had no issue with the presentation of the 100 ml Sartorial nor the Hammam (in fact, I enjoyed the box/carton of the Sartorial and the 19th century-style Hammam label), but this smaller 50ml Endymion was atrocious in the bow and the label.

Very sloppy work and lack of attention to detail. Not what one expects from one of Britain's premier perfumeries.

I agree with you and Nosebud about the price point.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I've had the ribbon fall off numerous bottles and the unsightly glue glob exposed,

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

The labels on my Artemisia and Endymion have started to curl around the edges. I like their fragrances but the bottle needs a makeover imo.

This is growing problem among so-called luxury fragrances.

You'd think that even if you are mostly paying for the packaging, you'd at least get the quality naturally expected. And it's not just blobs of glue and labels curling, it's also irritating things like scratches on new spray attachments, printing on bottles that start showing signs of wear after the third time being your SOTD, and labels/plaques that haven't been centred properly (I'm looking at you, Serge Lutens and By Kilian).

But my collection is nearly complete, so whatever...

Some of my 50ml bottles even have loose caps

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    This is growing problem among so-called luxury fragrances.
    Yup, have seen it with greater frequency these days.

Penhaligons have dropped in quality sharply over the last few years. The juice has been squeezed very hard too - in my opinion it is no longer worthy of their name. Very cheap ingredients now.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Penhaligons have dropped in quality sharply over the last few years. The juice has been squeezed very hard too - in my opinion it is no longer worthy of their name. Very cheap ingredients now.

Completely agree with you.
    The latest peoneve is mediocre at best.
    Squeezed is a good way of putting it. That's how their latest creations smelt. Barely worthy of the house name.

The ribbon on my bottle of Blenheim Bouquet was very badly fixed, and came away from the cap almost immediately. It has since gone AWOL. Also, the metal collar around the spray that the cap clicks onto regularly comes away with the cap. And I've just checked, and the label is indeed wonky.

Poor show.

I also have a loose cap on my 100ml Opus 1870. Wonderful scent, horrible, cheap bottle.

My sister got a bottle of "Cornubia". The cap is loose and the bow around the neck already came off after one week. The label is also peeling off slightly. Too bad!