Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Help me decide please: I really want to blind buy my first ROSE fragrance.

I have to play devil's advocate here and vote against Rose 31. There's something about Le Labo that just doesn't work for me, of the three I've tried (also including Patchouli 24 and Santal 33). Still a newbie here, don't know what the common note is that's such a turn-off. (Any thoughts on that folks?)

Anyway, why blind buy?
    Last edited by Picassoutine; 22nd November 2012 at 02:03 AM.

Default Re: Help me decide please: I really want to blind buy my first ROSE fragrance.

I agree in general that blind buying is bad, especially with the availability of cheap decants and samples. However, I would nominate Noir de Noir as an amazing rose scent that is just slightly feminine. I love it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    What about Creed Windsor? Definitely not for blind buy though as it is very expensive.

-- Update --

My bad. I think this is no longer available?
    No, it was a somewhat reformulated second limited edition only for the US Creed website, but The Perfumed Court still has got it. On a different note, and more linear, Jo Malone Red Roses, although probably not as a blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Picassoutine View Post

Anyway, why blind buy?
    I'm not really familiar with ordering samples. I figured I'd take the chance on a blind buy based on experienced feedback from you guys and gals.

I'm glad I found and ordered the samples now. As far as blind buying the Rose 31 split, it's a good deal and I'm not out much for something that so many people seem to like. I'm confident I will like it.
    Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

based on what you like - Rose 31.

Atelier Cologne Rose Anonyme is good too.
    SUMMER COLOGNES: Gabriella Chieffo Aquasala • Dior Homme Cologne • Boudicea the Victorious Oxford • Penhaligons Lothair • Molecule 01 • Azemour les Orangers • AdP Essenza • Byredo Sunday Cologne • Ginepro di Sardegna • Maestrale • Iris Nazarena • Versace Pour Homme •

I strongly suggest you not blind buy anything, much less a rose fragrance. All you have to do is get some samples of the things you are interested in and then purchase the one you know you like. There's nothing worse than paying a lot of money for something and then not liking it. I guarantee you we all have different preferences. We simply don't all like the same things. And sometimes it's not even close. I have purchased colognes based on reports here and not only did I not like them, some of them I thought were horrible. Only YOU can decide whether you like a fragrance. Use reports on fragrances from others as a general guideline, but never fail to sample.

I also encourage you to get a sample of Aventus and to buy it if you like it. If you don't like it, all you have to do is send it back and get a refund. Just say it doesn't smell right and you think it's defective. There's nothing they can do, no more than if you had an allergic reaction to it.

Don't believe everything you read regarding batch variations. Besides, I haven't heard of a problem regarding batches of Aventus for quite a while now.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

For roses, I enjoy
    - Aramis 900
    - Ungaro III (Vintage)
    - Noir de Noir
    - Egoiste.
    - Montale Attar (Rose, Sandalwood and Oud)
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage: Tribute Attar, Jubilation XXV, GoldMan
    ------ Serge Lutens: Chêne, Tubéreuse Criminell, Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore, Coromandel
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir, Tobacco Vanille
    ------- Hermès: Terre D'Hermès Parfum, Ambre Narguilé
    ------ EDP Frederic Malle: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Parfum MDCI: Invasion Barbare
    Currently wearing: Philosykos by Diptyque

Amouage Lyric Man
    -

Out of all the Rose fragrances you've mentioned, I only consider Rose 31 to be a rose centered fragrance since that's the only one I can really smell the rose. In the others, the rose is so "well-hidden" that I do not considered them rose centered fragrances

Regarding Noir de Noir, I do refer Westside by Bond No9 over it since they smell basically the same to my noise but the rose/Peony combo in Westside is much more pronounced

With that being said I think it is very tricky and dangerous for men to buy blind a Rose centered fragrance since the tolerant level of rose might be different greatly based on personal taste. One fragrance my be considered too rosy (a.k.a too feminine) for one and not rosy enough for other

Below are some short opinions on mine about the Rose fragrances I've smelled

Rose 31 by Le Labo - Rose on top of spices. Dry & powdery. Think Burberry Brit without the sweetness and a medium-size rose on top.

Lyric Man by Amouage
    - Very rosy. The rose note in this one reminds me of the similar rose note in Rose 4 Reines of L'occitane. The dry down has a slight shampoo-y note that feel a bit cheap. Overall, one of the most well-done rose but I'm not willing to pay $200ish for a bottle

Ta'if Rose by Montale - Red, lush rose wrapped around by wood and dust. Very dramatic and very hard to wear

Deep Rose by Montale
    - Rose and peony. Slightly boozy with a woody undertone

Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge Lutens
    - Animalic rose, open with lush, sweet red rose then quickly become annoyingly animalic on my skin, fabric and paper

Elisabethan Rose by Penhaligon's - Old fashion tea rose

Tea Rose by The Perfumer's Workshop - Elisabethan Rose but more synthetic smelling

Diabolo Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine - Tea rose with refreshing mint added. Interesting

Westside by Bond No 9
    - Again Rose and Peony. Very boozy and festive feeling (smell nothing like Deep Rose although my description makes them sound similar )

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford
    - Westside by Bond No 9, the very slight differences being NdN feels a little darker and not as festive a.k.a without the wow factor that makes Westside so special

No 88 by Czech & Speake - No rose! Smells old and dated

Acteur by Azzaro - Similar to No 88 in style but with more rosy sweetness

Lumiere Noire PH by MFK - No rose. Animalic and dirty

Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection by Etat Libre d`Orange - More well-done and less sweet CK Euphoria for Women

Rose Poivree by The Different Company - More patchouli than rose or pepper. I do not feel any animalicity in this one

Rose Ikebana by Hermes - Rosy and a bit fruity. Smells like millions of fruity-rosy women fragrances out there, maybe with a tiny bit more depth. Nothing special and do not worth the price tag.

Voleur de Rose by L'artisan - Like the name stated, the rose is stolen and no where to be found. Very nice and well-done but putting rose in the name is quite misleading since this one is more about patchouli

Elixir by Penhaligon's - I smell rose at the beginning of this fragrance but it quickly dies down. Do not consider this a rose fragrance

Aoud Flowers by Montale - They say it has rose but I can only smell aoud
    Last edited by jasonx; 22nd November 2012 at 07:04 AM.

I don't think anything here is a safe blind buy. I blind bought Rose 31 based on all the positive comments about it. I didn't like it at all and ended up swapping it. I just don't like the cumin note - it definitely brings to mind BO if you don't know the scent of cumin well. I can see past that, but I just don't like it. I also blind bought Ungaro III and got a recent formulation that is pretty generically bad. I never wear this one.

Lyric Man is a big rose, but I wouldn't wear it. I wear a lot of feminines, but this one is too feminine for me. The Montales are nice, but I think they are cheap and synthetic smelling, they are extremely potent, and last for ages.

The one I would suggest you seriously check out is Egoiste. It's fantastic.

But sample anything you are considering before committing to a purchase. Nothing is a safe blind buy unless the person making the recommendation knows your taste very well - even then, you never know what's going to rub you the wrong way in a fragrance that on paper sounds like you'd love it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Another vote for Egoiste. One of the best roses and one of the best fragrances, period. I think Lumiere Noire and Rose 31 could work too but feel these are somewhat riskier (both on price and scent).
    Currently wearing: Albi by Laura Tonatto

Hey if you're going sample stuff, then definitely Noir de Noir, and I'd also add Amoauge Tribute Attar - smoky rich masculine rose - just fantastic!

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

How do you wear your rose fragrance? Lush & dewy? Dry and dusty? Spicy and peppery? Sweetened or tart and jammy? There are just so many interpretations of the rose that an extensive sampling will only make the actual job of picking one harder, not easier. Get one of BN favorites. If you end up not liking it as much at least you have the option of reselling it at the BN marketplace.

BN favorite 'masculine/unisex' roses imo (irrespective if there's any actual rose in them): $-$$$

Frederic Malle Portrait of A Lady $$$
    Tom Ford Noir de Noir $$$
    Le Labo Rose 31 $$
    Amouage Lyric Man $$$
    MFK's Lumiere Noire Pour Homme $$
    L'Artisan's Voleur de Rose $
    Montale Black Oud $
    By Kilian Rose Oud $$
    Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau $
    Chanel Egoiste $
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

I like rose 31 but if it doesn't work for you...from one ole codger to another you might want to try:
    -aramis 900, as mentioned (1973)
    -zino davidoff, as mentioned (1986)
    -iquitos (1987)
    -eau d'italie - paestum rose (2006)
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

VC&A PH if you want to go cheap
    Lyric man by Amouage to splurge!
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

In this phase of my olfactory crossing i'm crazy for Iquitos and Lyric Man. I furthermore love many others as the great JHL, Portrait of a lady, Zino, Habit Rouge (rosewood more properly but i detect the rosey accents in the modern version and in the last EDP-not the one wrapped with the red leather but the following new release more close to the original formula) and some dark roses as Noir de Noir, Black Aoud, Lumiere Noir, Ungaro III, N.88 (more geranium than rose), V&A Pour Homme etc etc
    Currently wearing: Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob

I'm looking forward to trying a lot of these suggestions. I really had no idea when I started searching for a rose fragrance that there is this many.

The only one I was aware of was Anais Anais, (I think it was Anais Anais), which I bought for my mom back in the 80s.

Thanks everyone for all of these suggestions. I feel like a kid in a candy store right now. Awesome stuff!

I've also been on a quest for the rose frag that's just right for me, after realizing how much I enjoy rose as a note. I agree with others who point out that Le Labo Rose 31 isn't that much of a rose scent. It's not bad, but mostly smells like expensive soap when I wear it. I enjoy the first half of Amouage Lyric Man, but later it gets a bit powdery and soapy as well. Montale Black Aoud is a lot of fun, but the truth about this one is it's actually quite tame after the opening blast. I almost want a bit more opulence from it after the first hour.

I have a sample of Killian's Rose Oud (almost forgot about it!) that I need to try.

Meantime, though, the one I've liked the most is Eau d'Italie's Paestum Rose. Duchaufour's transparent, radiant style is very appealing to me (I've fallen hard for Timbuktu). Paestum for me is shimmering, with the rose a bit on the sweet, candy-like side, with the spices and woods quietly in the background providing lift. I'm surprised more folks haven't already mentioned it on this thread. Worth a try.

I didn't have a chance to wear it, but on the smelling strip Histoires de Parfums Rosam was really nice.
    Last edited by onethinline; 23rd November 2012 at 07:34 AM.

Don't blind buy.

As far as rose my favorites are..

Portrait of a Lady
    Rose 31
    Noir De Noir
    Egoiste
    Rose Anonyme

My favorite rose fragrance, regardless of whether it is masculine- or feminine-leaning, believe it or not, is Paul Smith ROSE.

Nobody has mentioned Bond's New York Oud. More about rose than oud for me with a nice plum note if I remember correctly. Strong and long lasting. A favorite. Black Aoud too for a nuclear fragrance. Rose 31 just does nothing for me. I only like one Le Labo fragrance and since it is not rose based I will not mention it.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Plus

Personally, I think rose is not only the most beautiful floral, but perhaps the most beautiful note ever in fragrances.
    A rose scent that is well done.

I will sample more of the fragrances mentioned here in this thread.

I can also add Guerlain's Les Déserts d'Orient - Rose Nacrée du Desert. Expensive, but worth it.
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I strongly suggest you not blind buy anything, much less a rose fragrance.

I also encourage you to get a sample of Aventus and to buy it if you like it. If you don't like it, all you have to do is send it back and get a refund. Just say it doesn't smell right and you think it's defective. There's nothing they can do, no more than if you had an allergic reaction to it.

Don't believe everything you read regarding batch variations. Besides, I haven't heard of a problem regarding batches of Aventus for quite a while now.
    Aventus... rose??? Well, I looked up the note pyramid and sure enough it listed rose. There is no rose that I can smell there...and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for someone looking for a scent that smells like rose...you are stretching the point a bit It is all pineapple and smoke NOT rose.

Basenotes Plus

L'Eau de Rose by Ramon Monegal is all Rose. It is a bit feminine, but it is truly one of the best pure Rose scents I have smelled. Not overpowering, but very much like walking into a flower shop around Valentines Day, and smelling all the roses in full bloom.

I have a variety of Rose fragrances, but my all time favorie from a masculine point of view is Portrait of a Lady, by miles.
    Last edited by PalmBeach; 23rd November 2012 at 02:45 PM.

I just put my name in on a split of Aventus with forum member heperd.

I never read Aventus being a rose type fragrance and I didn't order it because of that. For the price that it's being offered I figure what the heck and give this seemingly very popular fragrance a try. I'm certain I'll like it because I'm not too picky, or better yet, I'm not yet smart enough about fragrances to be picky.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noteworthy View Post

I never read Aventus being a rose type fragrance and I didn't order it because of that. For the price that it's being offered I figure what the heck and give this seemingly very popular fragrance a try. I'm certain I'll like it because I'm not too picky, or better yet, I'm not yet smart enough about fragrances to be picky.
    We all were new to fragrances at one time...Just beware of following the sheep...There are a lot of folks who praise their favorite fragrance/house at every opportunity. Some are quite expensive to try blind, and others have much cheaper equivalents. Don't get sucked into something just b/c it is talked about a lot. I would recommend theperfumedcourt-dot-com or another sample company. You can get a small vial of a fragrance for a few bucks, and know if you really want to spend $160 on a whole bottle or split before you do. Have fun testing many different fragrances, there are sooo many out there.

- - - Updated - - -

We all were new to fragrances at one time...Just beware of following the sheep...There are a lot of folks who praise their favorite fragrance/house at every opportunity. Some are quite expensive to try blind, and others have much cheaper equivalents. Don't get sucked into something just b/c it is talked about a lot. I would recommend theperfumedcourt-dot-com or another sample company. You can get a small vial of a fragrance for a few bucks, and know if you really want to spend $160 on a whole bottle or split before you do. Have fun testing many different fragrances, there are sooo many out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Thanks for the great advice, Possum-Pie. I'll be out $68 on the 50ml Aventus split....not too bad I guess.

I'll force myself to like it whether I like it or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    L'Eau de Rose by Ramon Monegal is all Rose. It is a bit feminine, but it is truly one of the best pure Rose scents I have smelled. Not overpowering, but very much like walking into a flower shop around Valentines Day, and smelling all the roses in full bloom.

I have a variety of Rose fragrances, but my all time favorie from a masculine point of view is Portrait of a Lady, by miles.
    I'd really like to try a sample of Portrait of a Lady. I'm not sure where I'd be able to do that.

Sound Scents

I'd really like to try a sample of Portrait of a Lady. I'm not sure where I'd be able to do that.
    If you have a Barney's near you they carry the EdP Frederic Malle line (and consequently PoaL). If not, then there are always samples sold on eBay...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    If you have a Barney's near you they carry the EdP Frederic Malle line (and consequently PoaL). If not, then there are always samples sold on eBay...

also samples at Surrender to Chance, Perfumed Court, Lucky Scent, etc.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Picassoutine View Post
    also samples at Surrender to Chance, Perfumed Court, Lucky Scent, etc.
    Actually, LuckyScent does not carry EdP Frédéric Malle, unfortunately...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie