Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any Green Water Fans?

I wore Green Water today for my SOTD. I am very intrigued by this interesting, yet so simplistic scent. I think it's the best mint based fragrance around, and very affordable too.

However, I don't think I have ever seen this fragrance spoken of, or even reviewed on Youtube.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Default Re: Any Green Water Fans?

Bought this almost 20 years ago. Still love it to this day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I think it's the best mint based fragrance around...
    Me too! Spearmint gum. I enjoy this one mostly in Spring, early Summer, and prefer the splash to the newer spray. But they are both good enough for my mony.

I don't do U-tube, but there've been discussions here w/i the last year or so.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

First time I wore it regularly the jasmine really stood out but the next time I got better balance, and really enjoyed it.

Count me as a loyal fan.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. A fantastic classic. Very alive, unlike a lot of todays monochrome outputs.
    I am sure there is tonnes of verviene/ verbena in this, but the basenotes pyramid doesn't list it.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Your post inspired me to get a hold of a sample of the vintage juice (I have never tried the current stuff). In a word, "amazing". I love the spearmint open with its nice grassy lemon underpinning it. Very natural, and quite light and fresh. If the fragrance shows it has any longevity then it is a definite buy for me. I still prefer Menthe Fraiche by just a hair over vintage Green Water, but this is a lot less expensive and almost as good, in vintage form. The current formula is really dirt cheap, but has anyone compared it to the vintage and found it equal to the task in scent and longevity?
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

Big, big fan. I have a bottle of mid-range vintage and one of modern. I haven't done a detailed comparison, but my scent memory is that they are similar. Excellent scent, citrus-herbal-mint. Very refreshing and pleasing.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Big, big fan. I have a bottle of mid-range vintage and one of modern. I haven't done a detailed comparison, but my scent memory is that they are similar. Excellent scent, citrus-herbal-mint. Very refreshing and pleasing.
    Excellent news. Thanks for the info, Ody! Since the new stuff is selling for only about $25 for a 100ml bottle, I may just go ahead and blind buy it. What a great find this one is... Finally an affordable herbal-mint scent that is quite natural smelling.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

Green Water was my first fragrance at the begining of the 70's.....At that time, Green Water was much stronger than current version (created in 1947, it has been reissued in 1993) which has average longevity but the notes were basically the same. Wearing Green Water always makes me feel good !

Post Thanks / Like

great great summer fragance.
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, my 100ml bottle of new/current formula juice arrived yesterday and I wore it on one arm and used my sample of the original formula on the other. The top notes both smell extremely similar and on passing glance are identical. When scrutinized much more than most folks would, the old formula has just a hair more depth in the spearmint and herbal lemon. Again, nothing to be concerned with... So far, so good. Unfortunately the heart is where the two scents diverge... The old formula stays relatively linear with that great herbal green mint and lemon verbena tandem remaining into the heart... but the current version turned very musty with an almost mold-like accord that dominated the heart with a faint hint of the lemon verbena in the background. The dry-down is where again the two formulas converged and the current formula became pleasant smelling again... Longevity-wise, the old formula is superior as well by about 20%.

All in all the current formula is a very good scent in its own right, and at $25.50 a bottle it is sure hard to gripe about it, but after smelling the old formula, there just is no going back for me... I think I need to bite the bullet and pay the bucks for the older stuff.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by Avecesar View Post
    Green Water was my first fragrance at the begining of the 70's.....At that time, Green Water was much stronger than current version (created in 1947, it has been reissued in 1993) which has average longevity but the notes were basically the same. Wearing Green Water always makes me feel good !
    Agree with this opinion very much.

I was a huge, huge fan of Green Water until the most recent round of reformulation(s). The newest version has a little too generic tinge that ruins it for me.

I used bottle after bottle of Green Water in the big, heavy dark green splash bottles. I also adored the shower gel - the steam from your bathroom could scent the whole house!

Green Water was the scent that I always carried a decant of on my travels. It was versatile and appropriate in all climates and social situations and, as Avecesar points out, it had the benefit of conferring the sense of well-being whenever it was applied. So handy when you're tired and unfresh after a long flight or wait for transport.