Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default what makes you try new scents?

when you try new scents do you do it for adding new one to your collection, becasue you dont have enough?, finding just one more great scent?
    or becasue you are very curious to know how something smells everyone is talking about?

what drives you the most?

if you were given an option A. to own 10 more beautiful scents or B. to test 100 more at your wish , what would you choose?

i would go for B, and this opens another big basket of new wishes just out of pure curiosity!

Default Re: what makes you try new scents?

I hear or read about something that sounds interesting, or sounds like something I'd like, and so I try it. If I like it enough, I might buy it.

Not sure which option to pick, though, because out of the 100 perfumes I might test, I might decide to own 10 of them!

Really, it's equally both A and B, for me.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

What makes me buy new scent..... lol.... anything and everything..... but actually I tend to buy old and have been on the trail for a long time. I keep my beadies open for them and snap them if they appear. I waited 30 years for my full set of Houbs.

I find I have a run of a note fetish... then another.... there is no cure.... I am a happy addict.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I do a lot of sampling and that helps me choose and I always have to have the classics, especially if it's a vintage. I think if I had to choose an option above it would be to test 100 because I love discovering new scents. Like Mumsy, I'm a happy addict!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    when you try new scents do you do it for adding new one to your collection, becasue you dont have enough?, finding just one more great scent?
    or becasue you are very curious to know how something smells everyone is talking about?

what drives you the most?
    To see if I like it to buy it. To be able to contribute to perfume discussions regarding the perfumer, brand or perfume notes.

if you were given an option A. to own 10 more beautiful scents or B. to test 100 more at your wish , what would you choose?

i would go for B, and this opens another big basket of new wishes just out of pure curiosity!
    Own 10.
    Whats the point of testing 100 or a million if I cannot wear them at my disposal?

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I hear or read about something that sounds interesting, or sounds like something I'd like, and so I try it. If I like it enough, I might buy it.

Not sure which option to pick, though, because out of the 100 perfumes I might test, I might decide to own 10 of them!
    This. And, like hedonist, it's nice to be able to contribute to discussions, as well as making recommendations based on my testing. Plus, l agree with the "note fetish" answer; l have runs of these, too.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Because I'm a helpless addict??

Like looking 4 that perfect (golf) shot off the tee, few things r more pleasurable in life u wish u could repeat in the Open by urself..
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

¿Si o No?

B, although I should have been satisfied by A

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Whats the point of testing 100 or a million if I cannot wear them at my disposal?
    Why try different foods when baked beans on toast are so nutritious?

To know what they smell like.... I only 'own' the ones I want to wear regularly when I go out. I have found only a few by testing this way funnily enough. Those 'owns' live on my dressing table. All the others are in a dark perfume cupboard and are hobby items for testing, note discussion, play, comparison and swaps. I have a clear distinction between the two. I suppose that may seem odd to others....

In my case B, the diversifications is much too appealing and tempting to me, while I could eventually "settle down" for/with A.

Because they're there.

I'm not sure how I'd choose between A and B. If I could only try the B scents once, and they were gone forever, I'd go with A, because there's too much chance of heartbreak. If a game show offered me, say, ten full bottles versus one hundred 2ml samples, and I could go out and buy the sampled scents with my own money if I loved them, I'd go with the samples. (For example, I'd take the Malle coffret instead of twice its value in full Malle bottles.)

I try new scents the way I try new clothing. Something to add to the wardrobe that I don't have.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

A -- I want to find scents I will love and which will make me happy over and over. Sampling generally proves disappointing, although enlightening, and makes me appreciate my wardrobe even more.

The thing that keeps me sampling is the hope that certain notes I crave will finally have been sewn together in a way closer to my fantasy and/or I hope to be surprised to like something I never would have imagined I would like.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Curiosity -- and I want to try the following

Ambre Dore - Gantier
    Aura Maris - Villoresi
    Malaise of the 1970's - Etat....
    Afternoon of a Faun - Etat....
    Dangerous Complicity -- Etat....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    The thing that keeps me sampling is the hope that certain notes I crave will finally have been sewn together in a way closer to my fantasy and/or I hope to be surprised to like something I never would have imagined I would like.

so you are looking for a holy grail maybe ?

is there a certain number of scents one has to try to stop beeng blown away every other day i am still new to this field of interest and

have bought scents which do make me happy , and have no craving to own one more special thing! but am very curious when i hear about lets say Ramon Monegal impossible iris or.....i still have not tried many of those 4/5 stars from "the book" which so far was good guide of what i could like,

......then i get in trouble becasue i dont expect unexpectable...and somehow i was blown away by several of those where i thought they cant be so nice ...

also am very curious to learn all the notes and how to connect the smell with the name....

but i dont like that feeling i need to have more, want to feel happy with what i have....and was thinking what drives me...and realized its curiosity
    Last edited by iivanita; 23rd November 2012 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Yes! There are always new permutations (as long as you are not restricted to the Macy's counter in Bangor, Maine!), and I find it fascinating. I am not in search of some grail, but I so enjoy trying new fragrances -- some have been immediate love. It's like when I was tiring of popular music and along came The White Stripes and Florence and The Machine.

I would try 100s of samples because it's fun to accidentally find new loves. Trouble is affording bigger sizes of the loves (I'm looking at YOU, Spiritueuse Double Vanille). Also, if a sample doesn't grab me, I'm going to pass it along, not keep it for reference. Same thing for books. There's only so much space at home, and my meh may be someone else's OMG.

Curiosity, love of fragrance, a bit of competitive spirit (cos my friends have something i don't have... i need to do something...!) are all the good reasons that keep me trying and trying new perfumes. It's so much fun! If i have money, i would buy what i tested and liked, if i am a bit tight, i just go to perfume shops and try things out. It's like a sport!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

so you are looking for a holy grail maybe ?

is there a certain number of scents one has to try to stop beeng blown away every other day i am still new to this field of interest and

have bought scents which do make me happy , and have no craving to own one more special thing! but am very curious when i hear about lets say Ramon Monegal impossible iris or.....i still have not tried many of those 4/5 stars from "the book" which so far was good guide of what i could like,

......then i get in trouble becasue i dont expect unexpectable...and somehow i was blown away by several of those where i thought they cant be so nice ...

also am very curious to learn all the notes and how to connect the smell with the name....

but i dont like that feeling i need to have more, want to feel happy with what i have....and was thinking what drives me...and realized its curiosity
    Iivanita, in some ways I'm the worst person to answer how many scents one has to try before one stops being blown away by the experience of sampling. I arrived very late to the pleasure of perfume (about age 50). I'm almost embarrassed to see my sampling total has reached 1,314! I mean, my gosh, how hard must I be to please?

All I can say for sure is that while I've gone through phases of interest and excitement, the learning never stops -- mostly because I don't have the natural gift for recognizing notes -- and the hunt for possibly wonderful new experiences never seems to end.

- - - Updated - - -

A late welcome hug to SaNielsen and Eva Widerson. I don't post often (aside from the SotD thread), so I fail to say "howdy" to newer BNers.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I think I seek knowledge. I want to know what makes a scent work. I want to know what others have made and why they are thought of the way they are. I need to understand.

To add to my collection.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I love to smell new fragrances just like I adore wearing new and different clothing. The fragrance is a new accessory. And accessories are one of the details which make the man. I cannot discontinue trying and purchasing new fragrances in the same way that I cannot discontinue trying and purchasing new clothing.