Code of Conduct

Angry Yet another rant on bad/cheap drydowns!

There's a ton of bad drydowns out there, and I was wearing a sample of AdG Essenza, and sure enough aat the 3 hour mark it turns into a non-descript white musk, which I could just as well pick up at any drug store.

The worst culprits are the aquatics most of which have what I “lovingly” refer to as the “rotting fish accord.” Nautica Voyage, Aqua di Gio, PE 360 Red, Issey Miyake all suffer from this.

Best drydowns? Easy, stuff like A*Men, Spicebomb and Joop! Homme, i.e. The gourmands. Occasionally you get a decent woody aromatic or a fougere that does the job on the drydown too (Curve, Cool Water, Mugler Cologne). Still, I don't get it, why cheap out on the part of the fragrance you'll spend the most time smelling GAH!!!

So what are your bests and worsts for drydown? Also, I think a boycott of fragrances with rubbish drydowns is in order!

Default Re: Yet another rant on bad/cheap drydowns!

I find Spiritueuse Double Vanille to have a great boozy opening and midnotes but when that goes the vanilla seems to thin out and become feminine and non descript. If only that glorious boozy opening could just linger throughout the composition or be paired with something interesting in the basenotes because it is a real winning accord.

Boi Du Portugal on the other hand has a overwhelming bracing opening thats hard to tolerate but the woody drydown is really good.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Totally agree with JH o Bois du Portugal. The opening is a bit hard, especially for the uninitiated, however the drydown is so wonderfully woodsy. It is a sexy, woodsy drydown. Have always loved this juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I find Spiritueuse Double Vanille to have a great boozy opening and midnotes but when that goes the vanilla seems to thin out and become feminine and non descript. If only that glorious boozy opening could just linger throughout the composition or be paired with something interesting in the basenotes because it is a real winning accord.
    I feel similar about Pure Malt. Maybe it's my nose but it just peters out.

I happen to love the drydown of AdG Essenza (in fact I overwhelmingly prefer this to regular ADG) but there are quite a few that i can't tolertate - Nautica Voyage being the absolute worst!

- - - Updated - - -

I happen to love the drydown of AdG Essenza (in fact I overwhelmingly prefer this to regular ADG) but there are quite a few that i can't tolertate - Nautica Voyage being the absolute worst!
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Serge Lutens Cuir mauresque
    Carbone de Balmain
    L'Essence de Cerruti
    Zino Davidoff
    Essenza de Zegna
    Mugler Cologne
    Kouros Tattoo
    Insense' Givenchy
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Eau Extreme

I agree on the Nautica Voyage scentiments. The opening smells great but the drydown is just plain weird. It burns my nose.

Don't understand the BdP comments. I think it smells great top to bottom. Kinda reminds me of when I used to rock the Pierre Cardin splash bottles in the old days.

I've only tested Essenza once and the drydown did get weird on my skin. I'm gonna withhold judgement until I can get a sample and try again.

Worst drydowns so far experienced: most Boss scents (though Bottled, No. 1, Elements etc. are exceptions), most CK scents (again, apart from the exceptions, Eternity, Obsessions Night, Shock being by far good drydowns), ADG of course, even Royal Water by Creed.

Best drydowns so far, including, yet never limited to: Armani Eau pour Homme, Chanel PM (including Concentree), Ungaro III, Creed BDP-again, for me too, Guerlain Habit Rouge and Mouchoir de Monsieur, Aramis pour Homme and Tuscany, Hermes Rocabar, any variation of voyage d'Hermes, Chanel No. 19- any concentration, Dior Escale a Portofino, also from Dior: Eau Sauvage, Fahrenheit Absolue, DHI, Eau Sauvage Parfum, Esencia Loewe, La Martina Hombre, Halston Z14, Knize Ten, Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet, Endymion and Opus 1870, Givenchy Gentleman, Versace l'Homme, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, Caron pour un homme, ADP Colonia.

Dior Homme/Intense. Ugly glue factory opening and a cheap talcum powder drydown. Hyped up on the internet but in reality it's a bloody awfull stink which no man should ever embarrass himself wearing.

Paco One Million. Another foul creation, heavily marketed but only bought by those who don't know any better.

Pure Malt. This has a fantastic opening and smells great for 3/4 hours, after that all i get is plastic.

I have no complaints or special praises for the drydowns of any scents that I wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
    Paco One Million. Another foul creation, heavily marketed but only bought by those who don't know any better.
    Way to slander a *whole lot* of guys around the world... as well as the many women who love this frag.
    Maybe in time we will all develop your highly evolved sense of what is and isn't an acceptable fragrance. Then the world will be a better place

Bigsteve: I'm afraid Tropics is spot on on for this rubbish, it's not particularly offensive but 1 million starts to smell very cheap on its drydown. It's sad because I'm a gourmand fan, but not bubblegum sugar gourmand like 1 million.

Ken_Russell: Amen, i tried XY and Soul and thought I was going to puke, Hugo Boss has truly made some wretch-fests

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    Bigsteve: I'm afraid Tropics is spot on on for this rubbish, it's not particularly offensive but 1 million starts to smell very cheap on its drydown. It's sad because I'm a gourmand fan, but not bubblegum sugar gourmand like 1 million.
    Well, Tropics is *totally* within his rights to bash the fragrance, and liking or disliking frags is totally individual and subjective. No problem. But he also felt the need to bash those who *do* like and buy 1 Million. That was not cool, so I called him on it. Peace.

Voyage gives me a headache on the drydown, but I still like it.
    Red does become sharp, but settles down quickly. Same goes for AdG