Code of Conduct

Exclamation The WORLD'S SEXIEST FRAGRANCE

This is the official thread.
    And at the risk of losing face I am going to start by saying this.
    I have been collecting perfumes for approximately 30 years, including designer, (to a lesser degree niche) and to a much greater degree discontinued classics.
    Now I have been thrown. Totally.
    I have a list of sexy's that include the "It's a little bit dirty" Scherrer, (womens). Galion Vetyver, Metal (womens ~ Paco Rabanne), Eau Noire, (Dior), Dior Homme Intense........and the list goes on......
    ........but now I have found something that beats the lot hands down, the new Axe Musk. I really apologise to basenotes members for over plugging this simple drugstore scent, but I am so blown over by this one.
    This is sex in a bottle, (or in this case in a can).
    I just ask you one thing. Please just try it once. It's only available in shops in France, Germany and Brasil ~ but is easily, (and very cheaply !) available online.....amazon, ebay etc.
    Please take the risk and buy this blind......and report back.

ps. this fragrance has absolutely nothing to do with any of the other Axe range. This is absolutely on another planet and of another quality.
    Last edited by david; 22nd November 2012 at 01:59 AM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: The WORLD'S SEXIEST FRAGRANCE

Interesting...

Is it a clean musk? I can't imagine a body/deodorant spray aimed at the masses to be that dirty.

(I'm hoping it's a clean musk cuz that's what I like)

Sound Scents

I'll bite. Ordered... Will report back when it arrives and I can give it a go.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I find that interesting as well! It would have to go head to head with a lot of contenders!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Will not make the purchase but will be interested to see others' reactions to having tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Interesting...

Is it a clean musk? I can't imagine a body/deodorant spray aimed at the masses to be that dirty.

(I'm hoping it's a clean musk cuz that's what I like)
    It's a clean, plasticy, (almost play dough like) a very abstract musk. In fact I would not associate this smell with any conventionel conceptions of musk at all. It is totally compelling, adictive and hypnotic. It is totally out of concept with any of the other Axe range. It must be tried to be believed. You will not be disappointed. It has a, (very positive) barber shop quality. Sweet, clean, VERY SEXY. I really hope you and other basenotes members will trust me on this and try it. It is not expensive and worth buying blind. You will love it.

Kouros
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Thanks for trusting me !
    I am really pleased and look forward to hearing your views. I have used a single spray 2 hours ago and I'm still on an absolute high from this stuff. Silliage and longevity are fantastic !

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Kouros
    Well actually this somehow reminds me of Kouros. It has that same kind of very sexily done barber shop quality.

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I'm still on an absolute high from this stuff.
    You're doing it wrong I hope you've been applying it to your body rather than spraying into a plastic bag and inhaling...

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    You're doing it wrong I hope you've been applying it to your body rather than spraying into a plastic bag and inhaling...
    Hahaha love it.

I've heard that Lynx Africa is the version of Axe Musk we get here in Oz. Any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Hahaha love it.

I've heard that Lynx Africa is the version of Axe Musk we get here in Oz. Any truth to that?
    AXE/Lynx Africa has been out for a long long time (1995 according to the BN directory), so I'm not sure thats right.
    Last edited by 1280adam; 22nd November 2012 at 03:16 AM.

If you like it then thats all that matters.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    AXE/Lynx Africa has been out for a long long time (1995 according to the BN directory), so I'm not sure thats right.
    Yeah but the original Axe Musk was out quite some time ago, wasn't it?

But if there's already an Axe Africa then I'd wager you're right in saying that Africa is different.

Perry Ellis M reminds me of Axe Body Spray (not a bad thing).

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    All jokes aside, hedonist is right.

Dependent

I love threads like this.

I don't enjoy play-doh frags, so it's probably not up my alley. But david, you ought to buy a case! (not joking.)

Sceptical (I had to spray Lynx/Axe on other people in the past...basically what kept me away from perfume) but if I ever come across it I shall douse myself with it and see what happens.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 22nd November 2012 at 12:07 PM.

Hahaha love it.

No. Africa, or Kilo as it is known in the US is a totally different fragrance. You will find many sellers online selling the Musk. Make sure it's the twist down cap, (which is the new version of Axe Musk) ~ the older version was nowhere near as good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Thanks, I would love more basenoters to get to know this. It's probably been dismissed by many members simply because it's under the Axe banner. To make things worse it's only available over the counter in France, Germany and Brazil ~ so many have not even had the chance to try it out. It can be bought very easily and cheaply on the net.
    I am also urging members to test the brand new Axe Proximity series which includes Amber, Vetyver and Bergamot.
    I have not tried these yet, so I cannot comment on them, but definitely make the Musk your priority.
    It is incredibly gorgeous !!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I love threads like this.

I don't enjoy play-doh frags, so it's probably not up my alley. But david, you ought to buy a case! (not joking.)
    Please try this, even though you do not like play dough vibes. I know you will love this one......it's very Californian. It will rock you. Trust me.
    .......and yes, I am gradually stocking up on this one, buying a can every time I do my shopping. I am really in fear that it maybe discontinued because it's only sold in 3 countries. They have just brought out a new range, so I fear that the Musk might be, excuse the pun, "axed".

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah but the original Axe Musk was out quite some time ago, wasn't it?

But if there's already an Axe Africa then I'd wager you're right in saying that Africa is different.
    I know I am 100% accurate on this. Africa/Kilo have nothing to do with the Musk ~ completely different fragrance.
    There was an Axe Musk way back in the 80's in the UK.......but it smelled totally different to the new twist cap version.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Sceptical (I had to spray Lynx/Axe on other people in the past...basically what kept me away from perfume) but if I ever come across it I shall douse myself with it and see what happens.
    Please do not douse !!!!!!!!! This is incredibly potent.......one tiny spray will keep you, (and everyone else) going for at least 3 hours.
    Last edited by david; 27th November 2012 at 06:22 PM.

Sound Scents

Well, the bottle arrived yesterday at work. I confess I have only sprayed this on paper once yesterday at work and now this morning as I write this and not tried on skin yet, so my impression may change... That said, I am afraid on first glance this one is not my kind of scent. I get a lot of powder and a very synthetic musk and a touch of anise and rose. It is kind of barbershop fresh, reminding me very much of the Clubman talcum powder my barber uses when I get a haircut (almost an exact clone on paper, at least). Nothing wrong with that, per se, but not something I find appealing either and not my personal taste at all (as I can't stand powdery scents in general). Again, maybe on skin it reacts differently, but on paper I would say it is worth about or less than what I paid for the 150ml spray at $6.50 delivered. I think I will stick to Les Nombres d'Or Musc by Mona di Orio when I am looking for a musk type of scent for now but the hunt as always continues... I will try it on skin this weekend and see if my initial opinion still holds. In any case either way, I'm happy you have found *your* holy grail for this category of scent.
    Last edited by drseid; 27th November 2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Hard to get hold of.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Kouros
    & again KOUROS

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Basenotes Plus

Interesting thread, David. I will try to find it at the drugstore, first.

I went online and came across, when looking for Axe Musk - the line from Axe called "Proximity". This is new to me, anyway. Vetyver, Bergamot, and Amber seem to be three out there. A higher-end line from Axe, perhaps...I will look into it.

http://www.amazon.com/axe-proximity-...ef=pd_sim_bt_6

Any way, I have tried several Axe body sprays and find some to be decent. Typically, I just wear them around the house, when I work out and also apply some lightly as 'base layer' with either an Axe or designer underarm deodorant. The ones I keep finding coming back to are Instinct (nice with leather scents), Kilo, Excite, Anarchy and Recovery (nice and fresh).

I will try Musk and see how it is on my skin.

I have found better quality body sprays from Bath & Body Works and especially from C.O. Bigelow - while still at a decent price range. All-in-all, I only put on a body spray once I have chosen a scent. There has to be synergy and I never use too much body spray.

Thank you, David. I will report back, my friend.

Cheers.

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Dependent

I get a lot of powder and a very synthetic musk and a touch of anise and rose. It is kind of barbershop fresh, reminding me very much of the Clubman talcum powder my barber uses when I get a haircut (almost an exact clone on paper, at least). Nothing wrong with that, per se, but not something I find appealing either and not my personal taste at all (as I can't stand powde
    Can't stand that sweet powdery stuff.

Lynx is for 15 year olds. No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Lynx is for 15 year olds. No thank you.
    This is a typical statement of a 15 year old.

- - - Updated - - -

Basenotes Plus

Yes -

I seemed to have missed the boat on this (which is strange as I have worn Axe body sprays for years) - Proximity made news here on Basenotes when it was released in 2008, but it has since been discontinued. I guess the stores I shop didn't get the line for some reason? I would've definitely seen them! Curious to try the Amber...after reading more.

I will look for Axe Musk but may also spring for the Axe Proximity Amber if I find it at a good price.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Interesting thread, David. I will try to find it at the drugstore, first.

I went online and came across, when looking for Axe Musk - the line from Axe called "Proximity". This is new to me, anyway. Vetyver, Bergamot, and Amber seem to be three out there. A higher-end line from Axe, perhaps...I will look into it.

http://www.amazon.com/axe-proximity-...ef=pd_sim_bt_6

Any way, I have tried several Axe body sprays and find some to be decent. Typically, I just wear them around the house, when I work out and also apply some lightly as 'base layer' with either an Axe or designer underarm deodorant. The ones I keep finding coming back to are Instinct (nice with leather scents), Kilo, Excite, Anarchy and Recovery (nice and fresh).

I will try Musk and see how it is on my skin.

I have found better quality body sprays from Bath & Body Works and especially from C.O. Bigelow - while still at a decent price range. All-in-all, I only put on a body spray once I have chosen a scent. There has to be synergy and I never use too much body spray.

Thank you, David. I will report back, my friend.

Cheers.

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

This is a typical statement of a 15 year old.

- - - Updated - - -
    No, a typical statement of a 15 year old would be "Lynx?! Yeah, that's amazing! I wear half a can every day!".

Well, the bottle arrived yesterday at work. I confess I have only sprayed this on paper once yesterday at work and now this morning as I write this and not tried on skin yet, so my impression may change... That said, I am afraid on first glance this one is not my kind of scent. I get a lot of powder and a very synthetic musk and a touch of anise and rose. It is kind of barbershop fresh, reminding me very much of the Clubman talcum powder my barber uses when I get a haircut (almost an exact clone on paper, at least). Nothing wrong with that, per se, but not something I find appealing either and not my personal taste at all (as I can't stand powdery scents in general). Again, maybe on skin it reacts differently, but on paper I would say it is worth about or less than what I paid for the 150ml spray at $6.50 delivered. I think I will stick to Les Nombres d'Or Musc by Mona di Orio when I am looking for a musk type of scent for now but the hunt as always continues... I will try it on skin this weekend and see if my initial opinion still holds. In any case either way, I'm happy you have found *your* holy grail for this category of scent.
    Thanks so much for doing this and sharing your views drseid. I would urge you to give it a few more tries, definitely on the skin.
    If you are then still not happy with it I will gladly do a swap with you. You can pm me, I have many interesting discontinued fragrances you can choose from.
    Back to the Musk. I get very much a retro ~ barbershop connection with this, but not so much a powder connection. Not in the sense of powder as in Dior Homme, Apres L' Ondee, or Teint de Neige, etc.
    I have been trying to analyze why I am so fascinated by this fragrance and have reached a few conclusions........
    I think the reason I set this fragrance so far apart from all the others in the Axe range is mainly because I think it is is based around natural ingredients unlike all the others which are very synthetic. It took a long while for the "penny to drop", but now my nose detects a domination of lemongrass/citronella. Of course this is an old trick in the industry ~ lemongrass is one of the cheapest essential oils and being so strong, a little goes a long way. For many years, for this reason, lemongrass has been used to perfume the famous marsielles soap which was used to handwash clothes and laundry. My nose definitely makes this marsielles soap / lemongrass connection and the fact that lemongrass is so "alive" and stimulating is part of the reason I am so attracted to this stuff. As simple and linear as this fragrance is, it is very much alive and dancing. You keep noticing it's there and, (at least my nose) does not tire of it. I have always admired lemongrass for this quality. I also detect a slight peppery note which appears later on.
    Another connection my nose made was to the Fabergé fragrance called Macho, which I dearly love. However, Macho contains a sort of "dry cleaning" note which I find at times overbearing. So I find the Axe Musk to be an uprgraded Macho. Both fragrances also share a faint sweet almond note, which complements and accentuates the lemongrass.

At the end of the day, I don't rate the other Axe range of fragrances because they are really synthetic and "basic".
    But Axe Musk is very different and worth exploring !

- - - Updated - - -

Yes -

I seemed to have missed the boat on this (which is strange as I have worn Axe body sprays for years) - Proximity made news here on Basenotes when it was released in 2008, but it has since been discontinued. I guess the stores I shop didn't get the line for some reason? I would've definitely seen them! Curious to try the Amber...after reading more.

I will look for Axe Musk but may also spring for the Axe Proximity Amber if I find it at a good price.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Thanks ericrico. Your views and posts are always very welcome, though at the end of the day you may disagree with me on this one. It's not so strange that you did not come across the Musk before, because it was never released in the US.
    I am really hooked on this one. I even wake up in the middle of the night to have a quick spray, (this has never happened before) !!!

I had no trouble picking a can up from the scented monkey for a little over 6$... and I see 6 packs available on amazon for approx 23$. You certain it wasn't released in the states? No matter.

In any event, it's my sotd. Nice, clean and spicy. Much like I imagine Old Spice would smell if maybe 10ml of it were gas'd up and pressurized into an aerosol. Yeah, a dry and slightly powdery Old Spice. I like Old Spice and this one is just fine. I don't think it lasts more than a couple hours, but I'm not sure because I was sampling other scents throughout the day. I do, however, wonder about the 150ml size and how much spray is warranted or, in other words, how many seconds of spray equate to an application of liquid, let's say, Old Spice a/s? Does a good shake and 5 seconds of axe spray = a 1ml puddle of something like OS? And, how long does a 150ml can last?

Youre talking about this one:

??

It was ULTRA famous here at Brazil at the 90s (the most famous Axe here at that time, with MARINE) but I think that now it dont sell that much anymore, but still easy to find.
    It was not an Aerosol but a plastic spray, but I cant find a picture of the old bottle and box.
    I have to say that I may have used one or two at my youth. If I remember well it was very sweet and powdery, similar to Brut but much more sweet and less fresh.
    It was interesting for some time, i have to say.

Thanks for trying and giving your opinion DuNezDeBuzier.
    I didn't make an Old Spice connection, but I will bear that in mind on my next spray. I agree that the "concert" part of the fragrance lasts around 2 hours, but I notice that my T shirt really smells strongly of it the next morning, (based on 2 very quick sprays). I don't know why I am so addicted to this stuff, but I am.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Nothing to apologize about my friend. How a fragrance appeals to you is very subjective. I'm sure that the Axe Musk suits your skin type extremely well and is a scent you like. So much the better. Think about it, it's cheap, it smells great to you, and you can pick it up just about anywhere. You have discovered gold. Now you have gone and made me curious. I'll have to pick one up tomorrow and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Youre talking about this one:

??

It was ULTRA famous here at Brazil at the 90s (the most famous Axe here at that time, with MARINE) but I think that now it dont sell that much anymore, but still easy to find.
    It was not an Aerosol but a plastic spray, but I cant find a picture of the old bottle and box.
    I have to say that I may have used one or two at my youth. If I remember well it was very sweet and powdery, similar to Brut but much more sweet and less fresh.
    It was interesting for some time, i have to say.
    Yes, but the newer version has a twist down top. This top looks different.
    I think the original Axe Musk from the eighties was a completely different fragrance to the twist down cap Axe Musk. I am sure it has been reformulated and, (for a refreshing change) I much prefer the new version.
    Thanks for sharing the image and your thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Nothing to apologize about my friend. How a fragrance appeals to you is very subjective. I'm sure that the Axe Musk suits your skin type extremely well and is a scent you like. So much the better. Think about it, it's cheap, it smells great to you, and you can pick it up just about anywhere. You have discovered gold. Now you have gone and made me curious. I'll have to pick one up tomorrow and get back to you.
    Thanks for your comments senore01. I am not sure that you will be able to buy it over the counter in the States ? I think you will have to order it online, but that shouldn't be a problem. Would love to know your thoughts on it......(you will probably hate it and kill me for having talked you into it !).
    My addiction to it is a mixture of it's retro vibrant 70's feel, simple barbershop, "slightly" Kouros direction and the fact that it has such excellent silliage and gives you a whole concert for just a couple of quick sprays !
    At the end of the day I know it is not in the same league as many designer classics, but it's fun to wear and is very sexy.
    "Working Class Sexy"
    Last edited by david; 27th November 2012 at 11:13 PM.

axe musk more.jpg

Looks exactly like the one I'm using, with the nifty twist down cap/spray inhibitor.

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    axe musk more.jpg

Looks exactly like the one I'm using, with the nifty twist down cap/spray inhibitor.
    Yes, .......... is this available in shops in the US ? I was informed it was only re~released in 4 countries.... France ,Germany, Brazil and Argentina.
    By the way, there is an excellent indepth history of the Axe brand and all their various releases worldwide over the years on wikipedia. Really shows how complex global marketing of a simple product is ~ many fragrances have different names in the various countries they are sold in.

Kouros, Angel or Aventus

Basenotes Plus

Good to know, DuNez!

Also, David is correct - I came across that Wikipedia page a while back and was very impressed with the amount of information that is there as well as just how big this brand has become on a global scale!

Remarkable, really.

Cheers,

ericrico

Yes, .......... is this available in shops in the US ? I was informed it was only re~released in 4 countries.... France ,Germany, Brazil and Argentina.
    By the way, there is an excellent indepth history of the Axe brand and all their various releases worldwide over the years on wikipedia. Really shows how complex global marketing of a simple product is ~ many fragrances have different names in the various countries they are sold in.

I don't know - it sounds like this Axe should only be dispensed under the guidance of a prescribing doctor.

Sound Scents

Unfortunately now having tried the scent (this one is the most recent version of the bottle) on skin a couple times I can confirm most of my initial impressions. The key differences were on skin I get none of the rose (a note I love when done well) that I initially smelled and *much* more of the talc-like powder and synthetic musk that I disliked on paper. Definitely this one is not a good fit with my tastes, but it is always fun trying new things out with the hope something will unexpectedly be that "hidden gem". Projection is about average and longevity is poor (which is to be expected from a body spray).
    Last edited by drseid; 3rd December 2012 at 09:54 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

More sexy than Dior Homme Intense?

Thanks for the hint, have to first find Axe Musk in stores, then start testing it.

I would like to try this. Does anyone have the precise link to ordering online? (I don't want to accidentally get the wrong one.)

Thanks,
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by PikakiLei View Post
    I would like to try this. Does anyone have the precise link to ordering online? (I don't want to accidentally get the wrong one.)

Thanks,
    Glenn
    Hi Glenn, Just google Axe Musk body spray and you will find all the sellers on amazon, ebay etc., etc. Can't go wrong. Please report back after you have tried it. I am still addicted to it, and now I really agree with basenoter who describes this as "rose and powder/barber shop".
    .........really hoping more people will try this and report back. So far only two have done so.
    It's not at all expensive and worth trying !

Also, David is correct - I came across that Wikipedia page a while back and was very impressed with the amount of information that is there as well as just how big this brand has become on a global scale!

Remarkable, really.
    What Axe does really REALLY well is demographics. In that regard, they are brilliant. Axe is going after a very specific age group and they make an effort NOT to grow the brand into other ages. Instead, they grow by dominating a slim age group. That may sound counterproductive, but it works. By staying true to the tastes of teens and early 20s, Axe goes through a lot more customer turnover than most designers ever will. Axe is constantly working to get new customers on the young end to replace those who outgrow the brand.

That's why it's perfectly reasonable for Axe to have products that smell great even though most of us here have never tried them. I've never tried anything by Axe. I don't doubt that some of their stuff smells good though.

It is true that Axe is "for" 15 year olds (15 to 25, if you want to get all demographic about it). 15 year olds also like pizza, but that doesn't mean pizza tastes bad to someone older. Come to think of it, I could really go for a slice of pizza right about now!

If this stuff came in an EdT instead of a body spray, I'd be tempted to try it. Why not?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Received my bottle from Ebay today and gave it a wearing. Not bad at all for an Axe product. Still smells like it came out a can or some type of spray device, but it's not as bad as some of the other Axe products that omit the strong powder note. If they make a shower gel I'll be all over it. Well worth the asking price.