Code of Conduct

Default Jacomo de Jacomo

Dear friends,

Jacomo de Jacomo used to be my signature scent in the 80ies.. Bought it again some time ago and it did not smell the same as I remembered..

I placed it on Facebook and got an answer from Jacomo that it had never been reformulated... Personally, I have difficulties to believe that..

Opinions ?

Default Re: Jacomo de Jacomo

I don't know about reformulation, but I have my bottle of Rouge, bought this yea,r and I love it (infact it's my SOTD today)

I love JdJ and have worn this scent for over 30 years. I own two vintage bottles and the current formulation.
    Jacomo has been reformulated, for sure! The recent juice is lighter, thinner, sharper... and the real "sweet-green" oakmoss base is missing.

Renzo you are right. All fragrances including the powerhouse ones from the 80s have been reformulated. Both to meet regulations and current market tastes. JdJ smells different to me too. This is a potent composition of spices that could not be done these days.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Only have the original release in my collection and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Renzo you are right. All fragrances including the powerhouse ones from the 80s have been reformulated. Both to meet regulations and current market tastes. JdJ smells different to me too. This is a potent composition of spices that could not be done these days.
    I knew it, Renaissance, but the quite strong reaction of Jacomo saying otherwise made me doubt..

I obtained a sample in 2008, and thought it had too much clove and lavender. Several months ago I obtained a bottle of the original formulation and thought it was balanced much better. I don't know what version that sample was.

Where can I get the old version? :/

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    I love JdJ and have worn this scent for over 30 years. I own two vintage bottles and the current formulation.
    Jacomo has been reformulated, for sure! The recent juice is lighter, thinner, sharper... and the real "sweet-green" oakmoss base is missing.
    Agreed! First bought JdJ in 1981 and have always loved it. I still make do with the recent version i have. Sill very nice, i find.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: cK be by Calvin Klein

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by renzo View Post
    Dear friends,

Jacomo de Jacomo used to be my signature scent in the 80ies.. Bought it again some time ago and it did not smell the same as I remembered..

I placed it on Facebook and got an answer from Jacomo that it had never been reformulated... Personally, I have difficulties to believe that..

Opinions ?

They are lying. Unless they do not comply with IFRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahaa View Post
    Where can I get the old version? :/
    Have seen it pop up every now and then on Ebay, but becoming less and less often.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Always be smelling

Here you go. Note the blue lettering is the sign of vintage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACOMO-DE-JA...8AAOSwbwlXBTbS

or better yet

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACOMO-DE-JA...oAAOxy3yNTevEr

I think this is the seller I got mine from

A shout out to Bigsly for introducing me to good vintage cheapies.
    Last edited by epapsiou; 10th June 2016 at 05:04 PM.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread ..

I used JdJ as a youngster a long time ago. I have recently tried to source it, and ended up purchasing this one on Amazon UK .. seems it was shipped from outside the UK (probably from the US) ..

The eagerly awaited frag arrived, and I was utterly shocked at what I got. This liquid doesn't even smell like a frag .. seems a mixture of some deodorant and water .. and the spray nozzle seems like a something that was fitted after the fact. Wont even spray. So, now I am chasing a refund ..

I am most keen to purchase this frag (the vintage) .. Any current links suggestions would be much appreciated .. there are so many on ebay and amazon (UK, US) but it's not clear which is original ..

epapsiou, thanks for the 2 links you suggested:
    * The second one has sold and the seller doesn't have more
    * [this first one](http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACOMO-DE-JA...oAAOxy3yNTevEr) will not ship to the UK ..

any other suggestions ? .. thanks in advance ..

Quote Originally Posted by smellor View Post

I am most keen to purchase this frag (the vintage) .. Any current links suggestions would be much appreciated .. there are so many on ebay and amazon (UK, US) but it's not clear which is original ..
    Welcome to you smellor! I think that any online discounter is only going to have the current version. Even when sometimes you see the image of the vintage version and you click on the link, it brings you to the fragrance availability and a picture of the current version. My guess is Ebay and Amazon will be your best bet unfortunately for getting the original black bottle with the blue writing. Good luck in your continuing search!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Welcome to you smellor! I think that any online discounter is only going to have the current version. Even when sometimes you see the image of the vintage version and you click on the link, it brings you to the fragrance availability and a picture of the current version. My guess is Ebay and Amazon will be your best bet unfortunately for getting the original black bottle with the blue writing. Good luck in your continuing search!
    Thanks for the welcome, hednic .. yeah, I have seen this is not going to be a wham-bam-thankyou-mam thing ..

Will keep seeking it, and trying to discover other frags that will move me as much JdJ (original) and Sergio Soldano Black (original) have done ..

Basenotes Plus

Fragrance Buy here in Canada advertises the vintage, a 50ml for $28 (which is about $1.45 in Yankee money these days ...*sigh*).

https://fragrancebuy.ca/products/jacomo-man
    Currently wearing: Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

Would personally still recommend this fragrance to this day, especially if available at a (relatively) inexpensive price - having liked its early 2000s/late 1990s (possibly even earlier) formulation quite much

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Fragrance Buy here in Canada advertises the vintage, a 50ml for $28 (which is about $1.45 in Yankee money these days ...*sigh*).

https://fragrancebuy.ca/products/jacomo-man
    Just checked, Scarce .. and they only ship to US/Canada .. Common issue for those of us in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Would personally still recommend this fragrance to this day, especially if available at a (relatively) inexpensive price - having liked its early 2000s/late 1990s (possibly even earlier) formulation quite much
    I am just starting out on this journey of seeking frags .. 2 have stuck in my mind as WoW frags since I was a teen: JdJ, Sergio Soldano in particular ..

Ken_Russell, are there any current frags that one could consider similar to these .. to at least buy samples of to test ? .. Most things at frag shops I have been to are just too metro-sexual for moi ..

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by smellor View Post
    I am just starting out on this journey of seeking frags .. 2 have stuck in my mind as WoW frags since I was a teen: JdJ, Sergio Soldano in particular ..

Ken_Russell, are there any current frags that one could consider similar to these .. to at least buy samples of to test ? .. Most things at frag shops I have been to are just too metro-sexual for moi ..
    The German ebay has some that they can ship but the prices are outrageous.
    There are a few that are similar. You should try Francesco Smalto PH, Montana Homme (red box)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Francesco-...AAAOSwjL5ZIYqP
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Montana-pa...MAAOSw1WJZIKh1
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    There are a few that are similar. You should try Francesco Smalto PH, Montana Homme (red box)

Million thanks, epapsiou .. good suggestions ..

A little research .. reveals forum posts like http://www.basenotes.net/threads/377...-Manufacturers .. i.e, seems it changed manufacturers and might have been reformulated a few times ..

so, is there any variant or year I should be looking at for Smalto Pour Homme ?

...don't do difficult: you like it or you don't for that small amount of bucks...!

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post

Epapsiou, million thanks for the suggestions .. have heard mostly good things about the Smalto Pour Homme .. Never even heard of Montana Homme

will look more at these ..

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut
    ...don't do difficult: you like it or you don't for that small amount of bucks...!
    Not sure if that was for me or not .. but don't understand what you mean .. Care to elaborate for better clarity ?

Still haven't tried this one.

Don't wanna get stuck with a bottle I don't like, even if it's cheap as hell. Not sure if I will like this one or not. Even if I do like it, I doubt I would ever use a bottle.

I wish stuff like this was available to smell at places, but it's too cheap for department stores I guess. I've never seen a Jacomo fragrance go at retail, nor have I ever seen one in a retail department store.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Le Vetiver Itasca (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Still haven't tried this one.

Don't wanna get stuck with a bottle I don't like, even if it's cheap as hell. Not sure if I will like this one or not. Even if I do like it, I doubt I would ever use a bottle.

I wish stuff like this was available to smell at places, but it's too cheap for department stores I guess. I've never seen a Jacomo fragrance go at retail, nor have I ever seen one in a retail department store.
    I'm in the same situation. I saw one online at a very low price before I saw this thread and started to think about getting one. The problem for is that I'm quite sure that this is way to old fashioned or dated for me. Could someone compare it with a certain fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by H_West View Post
    I'm in the same situation. I saw one online at a very low price before I saw this thread and started to think about getting one. The problem for is that I'm quite sure that this is way to old fashioned or dated for me. Could someone compare it with a certain fragrance?
    Agree. Yes a comparison would be great.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Le Vetiver Itasca (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

This is one of the best smoky/woody fragrances Ive used. Bought a 3.4oz bottle long time back..enjoy it!!
    ------------------------------------------------
    For what its worth!

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by staticx View Post
    This is one of the best smoky/woody fragrances Ive used. Bought a 3.4oz bottle long time back..enjoy it!!
    True.
    I find Monseiur Carven shares some aspect during drydown.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit.