Code of Conduct

Default Whats going on? Theres no discussion about 212 men? please help me decide with this!!

So im not sure if im doing the searches wrong or whats going on, but i couldnt find a single topic about the discussion of the carolina herrera 212 men. Wierd.
    But i do really need your help please, any reviews on this fragrance at all? I quite like it, but not too sure, and theres nothing to read to help me make my mind up..
    Whos got it? experiences?

Tho my biggest question is: Armani code vs Caroilna herrera 212 men vs YSL La Nuit de l`Homme
    I have read a lot about these three, but really cant make my mind up at all. longevity and projection? best compliments? Which one would you prefer of the 3 considering these?

Default Re: Whats going on? Theres no discussion about 212 men? please help me decide with this!!

YSL - La Nuit by far, superior to the other two.
    Nothing else to say

Sound Scents

Default Re: Whats going on? Theres no discussion about 212 men? please help me decide with this!!

I wish I could be more helpful, but all three of those are not good, IMO. I recommend looking at some other choices. I have owned 212 for Men of the three before giving it away and definitely regretted it (owning it, that is) with its slightly metallic undertone behind its generic fresh heart.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by orine View Post
    So im not sure if im doing the searches wrong or whats going on, but i couldnt find a single topic about the discussion of the carolina herrera 212 men. Wierd.
    But i do really need your help please, any reviews on this fragrance at all? I quite like it, but not too sure, and theres nothing to read to help me make my mind up..

Tho my biggest question is: Armani code vs Caroilna herrera 212 men vs YSL La Nuit de l`Homme
    I have read a lot about these three, but really cant make my mind up at all. longevity and projection? best compliments? Which one would you prefer of the 3 considering these?
    My 2 cents 212 is a lovely fresh but slightly woody Summer scent, lemony/cut grass blast with a kinda unique smell. Most people can tell what it is cos its not your run of the mill aquatic.

YSL is a much sweeter, slightly heavier autumn/winter scent which projects pretty good! gives off a nice cherry/woody/oriental floral fragrance, it gets good compliments and lasts ok.

Code is a good all year round fragrance, again works nice in the winter, a lot of people do wear it though. Its strong and projects very well, i dont personally wear it cos its gets up my nose but its not bad. Very powdery with tonka to sweeten it up and light wood.

For a summer scent 212 is great, for Autumm/winter (now) YSL is lovely.

Armani code and YSL La Nuit de l`Homme are much better options IMO.

Agreeing on DrSeids statement.

212 is vile IMO. But, this being said, of the three my choice would be Code.
    However I think i'd still rather go unscented.
    Smellin good

I'd take 212. I've had a couple of bottles of this now over the last 12 years. One bottle of (Black) Code that I'm still working on, and never warmed up to YSL. 212 is modern, fresh and versatile without resorting to the tonka basenotes that are becoming a bit common place now.

When 212 came out, there wasn't anything else really like it as AdG was only a few years old and other fresh scents were resorting to the same "aqua" feel. In contrast, this is a spicy/fresh green/incense scent.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I had a bottle of 212 back in college in the early 1990s. After all these years, it still makes me throw up a little in my mouth. One of the original aqua/sport/blue colognes that we have all grown to hate. Smells generic like all those inserts in Men's Health magazine.

I smelled Armani Code at the counter recently and thought it was boring. But I hear the chicks dig this one...

YSL La Nuit over the others easily.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Quote Originally Posted by SirNosebleed View Post
    I had a bottle of 212 back in college in the early 1990s.
    212 wasn't released until 1999 and it's definitely not aqua. Are you thinking of CK Escape, perhaps?
    The Bark Bites Back.

I like Armani Code the best out of those 3.

212 Men. The projection is nuclear, which is why I think the wearer can't smell it after a while. It was IMO quite unique when released. I found the other 2 quite boring...and I've got big respect for YSL.

Good frag! Almost bought it on Wednesday but as I was about to get it one of the SA's took the tester and sprayed literally 20 sprays all over himself! I ended up getting DHS. I'll probably never get 212 now

Ahh coool, thanks for the replies guys!! the 212 one i think ill pass this time. Im not brave enough to jump into it now.
    So really, im down to Code or ysl le nuit.
    The armani code i had before and loved it, every drop of the 100ml. But since i had a whiff of the le nuit, im in a really big dilemma.
    I read into the ysl le nuit a bit more and quite a few people said it stays close to the skin. Is that true or is it possible to get a scent trail from the le nuit after 5-6 hours? I mean this is really the deciding factor now, because smell wise im just unable to decide.
    So the ysl le nuit was as good as the code, projection and longevity wise, i would have my mind made up! Any comments on this?

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh coool, thanks for the replies guys!! the 212 one i think ill pass this time. Im not brave enough to jump into it now.
    So really, im down to Code or ysl le nuit.
    The armani code i had before and loved it, every drop of the 100ml. But since i had a whiff of the le nuit, im in a really big dilemma.
    I read into the ysl le nuit a bit more and quite a few people said it stays close to the skin. Is that true or is it possible to get a scent trail from the le nuit after 5-6 hours? I mean this is really the deciding factor now, because smell wise im just unable to decide.
    So the ysl le nuit was as good as the code, projection and longevity wise, i would have my mind made up! Any comments on this?

Amanic Code Ultimate > YSL La Nuit > Armani Code> 212 Men

212 is a compliment getter and lasts a long time though.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

A little off topic but with meaning...

A long time a ago back on the early days of Basenotes a young Midwesterner named Jeffery discovered 212 Men and at that point his life would never be the same again.

His love of the fragrance made it become his signature scent and obsession in life. All Jeffery wanted to talk about was 212 and Mrs Herrera his love of the two of them. It went without bounds. Jeffery found himself trying to turn each discussion here in the male fragrance forum about 212 and it being the holy grail of men and women's fragrances. Jeffery found his obsession pushing him to creating lamps out of 212 canisters trying to create a 212 website (Mrs Hererra's legal team stopped that idea).

But his love of the fragrance would not stop him. He got the chance once to interview the president of The Fragrance Foundation for a Basenotes article but during most of the interview he wanted to discuss 212 and Mrs Herrera with the president and what she thought about the fragrance and the creator.

You see after awhile the community here just didn't want to hear it anymore even Grant had to place a band on 212 discussions. So Jeffery moved on and we really don't discuss 212 here anymore.

I always found it humorous that for as much as Jeffery loved 212 Men, he abhorred 212 Sexy Men.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

It's a great summer time, warm weather fragrance. It is a big hit in Brazil where the climate can be brutally hot and muggy. Every time I visit my lady's family out there I take another bottle of 212 for the young ones. They love.

I think it's incredibly loud and obnoxious...just way way too much green for the first few hours it's on. But the drydown is very nice.
    Fall/Winter Signature: Midnight in Paris EDP by Van Cleef & Arpels
    Spring/Summer Signature: TBD
    My Swap Thread

It's pretty bad stuff. I keep it in my collection to remind myself, "Don't do that again."

Banned
    Blog Entries

212 lasts forever and ever.great compliment getter. Armani code is a bit more safe and warm. I have the ysl but haven't gotten into it yet.

Had to go looking for the lampshade post, lol. A little over 10 years ago (Nov. 22, 2002):

Hello everyone,

Back in the winter of 2000 when I was in New York City for New
    Year's, there was a snow storm there. Just down the airports and
    everything.

I was at a hotel on 7th Avenue with a perfect view of the Essex
    House sign towering into the sky from my room. That very same day, I
    went down to Sephora on Broadway, and stocked up on another bottle
    of 212.

While in there, I saw a 212 display. And my eyes quickly focused in
    on what I thought was a round (cylindar) frosted glass container
    with 212 Carolina Herrera New York etched into it!

Of course I had to go investigate.

I went over there and looked at it, and realized it was just a very
    heavy, hevy plastic and the cap even had 212 embossed at the top.

Imagine the shape 212 for men bottle but not as tall, and much
    fatter. Almost like a perfectly round bucket with a lid.

I fell in love with it, and asked the sales person if they have more
    in the back. She came back and said, "No, that's the only one."

When I was checking out my 212 bottle at the counter, I said, "Any
    chance I could buy that container from you?"

She laughed, and said, "You want to buy it?"

I said, "Yes, I want to buy it!"

She went into the back again, and came out, and this guy said, "What
    container do you want to buy?" And he had this perplexed look on his
    face.

I said, "That one!"

He went over and picked it up and said... "Here, compilments of
    Sephora."

HAHAHAHA!

Well, last night I was going through some things I had stored away
    and I came across it. I have a Japanese style lamp, which I had
    turned on, and was putting some of the stuff I was going through
    next to it on the table, and the 212 container was one of them.
    Because it has a "frosted glass" look to it, the light from the
    Japanese style lamp just "glowed" through the container and lit up
    the "212."

I thought... "WHAT A NEAT EFFECT!!!" 212 On Light!

Because of my infatuation with the fragrance, I decided to turn it
    into a decorative lamp for my desk at home in my bedroom.

Took a Dremel Motor Tool, 3/4" drill bit, and drilled a hole into
    the back of it so I could put one of those "night light" cords into
    it with the prong that holds it into place. Like those plastic
    outdoor Holiday decorations.

I brought it into work today to take a digital photo, and I've
    uploaded them to the photos section.

Truly turned out wonderful I think!!!! And it's ONE OF A KIND...
    UNIQUE!

Be a perfect "GIFT WITH PURCHASE!" 8-)

.::Jeffery
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I wish I could be more helpful, but all three of those are not good, IMO. I recommend looking at some other choices. I have owned 212 for Men of the three before giving it away and definitely regretted it (owning it, that is) with its slightly metallic undertone behind its generic fresh heart.
    I wouldn't say that all three of those aren't good. Looking at your top 10, they obviously do not fit your taste. However, a lot of people enjoy them. Sorry, I just dislike when people come in to a suggestion thread and say things are awful without much reasoning. For people seeking advice, this just makes things much harder.

My opinion

212- Initially I liked it. As stated, it is fresh, green and metallic. The first two wearings I got complements from female friends. But, it just became too strong. One spray was too much for me. Didn't help I wore it one day when I was hungover. After that, it made me slightly nauseous. I got rid of it, but from time to time I wonder if I would still enjoy it. It is a pleasant scent, not complex, and I think it can be worn in most situations if applied the right away.

La Nuit- I love this scent. It could probably be worn anytime when applied appropriately, but it is often regarded as a late night scent and is also recommended for colder weather. By far, one of my favorite scents.

Armani Code- no experience with this, but appears to be popular for younger crowds.

These are my opinions and experiences. Yours will be completely different. Try them out if you can. Samples are great.

Quote Originally Posted by orine View Post

You might wanna consider Carolina Herrera Chic for men, trust me!

Maybe, if there's do discussion, it may not be worth talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Maybe, if there's do discussion, it may not be worth talking about.
    I'm glad someone could say what we're all thinking.

212 should get more attention! excellent smell

All solid compliment getters and similar pricing.

212 for spring summer
    YSL for autumn winter