Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any tips for me?

I have noticed that everytime after I shave I have breakouts and I don't like it.

I use gillette shaving gel from costco and gillette newest shaving razor. Can anyone give me tips as to how to not have these breakouts.

I have stopped shaving in teh opposite direction, that has helped but no so much.

Also, how can I keep my skin clear and nice, I want my pimple marks to go away and have a clear skin.

Recommend me some products?

Also, any scentless moisturizer recommendation so that I can have colognes last on me longer, right now I am using citaphel moisturizer, i like it coz its light, and would want something similar but without smell.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any tips for me?

If the problem is ingrown hair, you could try some products with glycolic or salicilic acid. I know a product by Anthony, ingrown hair or something like that, and another one by Kiehls, but I am sure there are other similar products. Here in Europe I have seen one by Avene, Dermo K, which seems to be smoother than the other two, but the brand (which is not Aveeno) is not sold in the US I believe.

For pimples and the like, an exfoliating mask (again, they contain glycolic or lactic acids) can help. I sometimes use one by Dermalogica, gentle exfoliating mask.

As for unscented body creams, I like Nivea essentially enriched. Unscented body oils can work well too (eg neutrogena, boots).

cacio

Try using a high-quality shaving cream.

For luxe, use Truefitt and Hill scented shaving creams. They come in a tube and also a tub.

For cheap and effective, the Kiss My Face shaving creams are also very effective in minimising ingrown hairs.

Follow with a quality aftershave balm, such as Truefitt and Hill.

- - - Updated - - -

For luxe, use Truefitt and Hill scented shaving creams. They come in a tube and also a tub.

For cheap and effective, the Kiss My Face shaving creams are also very effective in minimising ingrown hairs. These come in tubes and pump bottles in the US.

Follow with a quality aftershave balm, such as Truefitt and Hill.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Costco were selling Gillette Fusion ProGlide cartridge shavers last time I was in there, and I assume that's what you have.
    It's a 5 blade cartridge, and I do have one friend who just doesn't like it, and greatly prefers the three blade Mach 3 - so there's a remote possibility you are in the same boat. The instructions on the packet say to shave with the grain, and I mainly do that, and only briefly shave across the grain under the cheek bone where I never get the shave close enough. I'd never do more than that.

Firstly, after you wet your face with warm water and apply the gel, let it sit there or massage it in for nearly two minutes before shaving. That is what you are supposed to do with shave creams and shave soaps to get them to be effective. That may well work with your gel.

If that doesn't work, perhaps buy a moderate priced shave cream or shave soap and a cheap shave brush (you can get a badger brush from Ebay Hong Kong for $10), and brush the cream or soap in for 2 minutes before shaving. The most expensive creams are very slippery and I find they don't shave close enough with gooey cartridge razors like Proglide or Schick Hydro, but that's not a problem with expensive soaps.

After shaving, apply an astringent like cheap witch hazel or an alum block to seal up any microscopic nicks (if you use an alum block, you will feel tiny stings). If you have one of those natural deordorant sticks made of alum, you can use that, though they're usually made of the slightly more stinging ammonium alum rather than potassium alum.

For clear skin, all the manufacturers have various regimes to try, ranging from the simple ones from say Nivea for Men - wash with their clear gel soap every day, use their exfoliation gel two or three times a week, use their moisturiser or aftershave balm - to the more complicated and more expensive ones like the Clinique one which adds extra steps like using their toner lotion and using other stuff to wear when you got to bed.

Personally, I found the most effective results came from just using anybody's exfoliation stuff several times a week (note well, you aren't supposed to exfoliate every day) and skipping the rest of the routines.
    Regards,
    Renato

P.S. - If you are in a hurry, you can try brushless creams - you just apply them and wait two minutes (using a brush on them doesn't create much more lather). The Zirh one and Body Shop Macca Root one are pretty good, the Neutrogena one is just okay on me, but whatever you do, avoid Burts bees and Dr. Lewinn's. I found them hopeless. I also found the King Of Shaves Advanced Shave Gel and Jack Black Beard Lube to be very effective. Some people swear by the fairly expensive Clinique one, but I haven't tried it yet.

P.P.S - How could I have forgotten? It may well be worth your while applying a few drops of olive oil onto your face, before applying the shave gel. You get a less smooth shave, but added cushioning which prevents nicks and micro nicks.
    Last edited by Renato; 25th November 2012 at 06:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent information Renato, I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would begin wet shaving which includes a quality shave cream, not an aerosol can which produces goo. Get a safety razor with safety blades, a cheap shave brush and purchase proraso shave cream or similar. You will achieve very good results and begin to notice no more razor bumps, shave rash, etc. I did this years ago and works like a charm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I would begin wet shaving which includes a quality shave cream, not an aerosol can which produces goo. Get a safety razor with safety blades, a cheap shave brush and purchase proraso shave cream or similar. You will achieve very good results and begin to notice no more razor bumps, shave rash, etc. I did this years ago and works like a charm.
    Many people write exactly what you say over at Badger and Blade, so it must be true for many. For me it just wasn't so.

My experience is that it didn't matter whether I was using either Double Edge safety razors or cartridge razors with the high priced Trumpers cream, I got shave rash regardless (though somewhat less than with canned stuff, as it only took four days to recover with Trumpers, versus seven days with canned stuff). I only stopped getting shave rash when I bought Gillette Fusion (not Pro Glide) and used it with Trumpers cream. Then I weaned myself back to DE safety razors and my earlier cartridge razors.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 26th November 2012 at 02:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it may not work for all, but once I made the switch to a quality shaving soap or cream, badger hair brush, and a quality DE razor my face has been so much better for it. There is a small learning curve on how to use a DE razor properly, but once you master it your face will thank you for it.

Post Thanks / Like

For an unfragranced moisturizing lotion I would recommend Simple Skincare products. They truely are "unscented" and free of many chemical ingredients. They offer a rich replenishing moisturizer and a light hydrating moisturizer.... both excellent IMO and not terribly expensive compared to others.
    If I Could Only Have a Dozen:
    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    3. Guerlain Vetiver
    4. Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa
    5. Creed Bois Du Portugal
    6. Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    7. Creed Tabarome Millesime
    8. Guerlain Heritage
    9. Penhaligon's Sartorial
    10. Creed Royal Oud
    11. Chanel Egoiste
    12. Creed EROLFA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
    I have noticed that everytime after I shave I have breakouts and I don't like it.

I use gillette shaving gel from costco and gillette newest shaving razor. Can anyone give me tips as to how to not have these breakouts.

I have stopped shaving in teh opposite direction, that has helped but no so much.

Also, how can I keep my skin clear and nice, I want my pimple marks to go away and have a clear skin.

Also, any scentless moisturizer recommendation so that I can have colognes last on me longer, right now I am using citaphel moisturizer, i like it coz its light, and would want something similar but without smell.
    I have oily skin and have had the same problems you have.
    A couple things I did I noticed fixed these issues.
    #1: +1 on stopping the upshave. Always go with the grain.
    #2: use a sharp razor. I stopped trying to see how far razors will last. I buy cheap 3-blade razors and throw them out as soon as I notice any irritation.
    #3: wash then exfoliate. I wash my face with oil-free acne wash such as neutrogena, then exfoliate with everyman jack preshave.
    #4: let "sensitive skin" gel soak in. I use sensitive skin shave gel with aloe, but let the lather sit for a minute before I shave.
    #5: use an aftershave balm, not alcohol splash lotion.
    #6: don't shave every day. Every other day is plenty, plus day after stubble is sexy.
    This is the cheap route.

I have recently been using preshave oil, badger brush with shave cream, and aftershave balm on top of exfoliation and have had damn fine results.

Ultimately, use oil-free acne wash, shave with the grain, and use a clean razor and you should be good.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I apprecite all that you guys have recommended.

I do wet shave, I don't shave everyday and I use that gillette stuff from costo coz thats economical. I don't have the time to use a brush and do i the old fashion way.

But I can definately invest in a brushless shaving cream.
    Which should cream shoud lI try first?

Also, beucase of these razon rashes and pimples it leave marks on my face which I want to clear out. Is Dermologica a good product?

My wife is also suffering from pimple son her face and she has sentitive skin and it started after she waxed her chin and the sideburns area, she is getting depressed coz of the marks not going away. I am trying to find that will help these marks to go away and also for myself.

Any recommendations? She also bought the Philosophy Kit from Macys but is thinking of returning it, but wants something that really works.

I am leaning towards Dermologica or going to Sephora and asking them to help us find a product, but I am not sure how goo dtheir recomemdation will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    This would definitely help IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

my rec is also about your routine before and after.

make sure to wash or exfoliate your face before shaving to remove debris.
    Keep your tools clean, so spray your razor (and brush?) with rubbing alcohol to kill any bacteria

good prep also includes a hot towel or lots of splashing to soften everything up.
    try applying a preshave oil, then a decent cream.
    shave in short strokes, with the grain, wash off the razor regularly.

when done shaving, rinse thoroughly to remove any residue from the shave cream. first warm water, then cold to close the pores but only after you've wiped everything off.
    then apply witchazel
    then try some of those creams for razor burn / breakout like glycolic or salicilic acid.
    then an oil free moisturizer.

take it from there. You might even get away with the regular ol' cream and razor, just improve your pre and post routine and see if that helps.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have the same problem and frequently, I had foliculitis to go with it. I was AWFUL. I was 40 years old and having far worse breakouts than I did as a teen. I had to find a solution.

I don't using shaving gel anymore. I use a product called "Bump Stopper" It's a creme that comes in a little black and white plastic can. It's much better. (I get it at Walgreens or online). I use a Gillette Fusion razor and, as expensive as it is, I change blades every time I shave. If your face itches after you shave, rub on some cortizone cream. You can get that at any pharmacy.

If you want a good mosturizer, use Loreal vita-lift. I've found this to be every bit as good - if not better - than any of the higher priced products.

Quote Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

Post Thanks / Like

You need to apply a shaving oil before you put on shaving cream. It creates a barrier between the blade and skin and still allows for a close shave. I didn't discover till i started to outgrow my acne years that the best cure was sweating in a sauna, drinking way more water, and getting more sunshine "not too much". Taking a dip in a swimming pool out in the sun did wonders for me.

I have better luck with this when I use a preshave oil. I actually just started a post about homemade preshave oil. You can buy stuff like The Art of Shaving's oil, but it is a little pricey and all it is is olive oil, castor oil, and a little essential oil for smell. I usually just mix 1/3 olive oil (do not use the robust flavor stuff because it has a much stronger smell) and 2/3 castor oil and there you have it. Get your beard wet, work in the oil, put your shaving cream on and have at it.