Code of Conduct

Default SotD Fri 23rd Nov 2012

thank you all for you kind words and wishes.
    sotd - mark birley charles street (aka tuscan leather's more refined, civilized and british cousin, or some might say subdued). hope everyone's had an amazing thanksgiving across the pond and lots of drinking and eating was involved. happy friday to all.

Default Re: SotD Fri 23rd Nov 2012

My combination of the day is Jicky Extrait and my new cashmere pullover.
    A bottle of red tonight (*waving at Jon and G.!!!*) possibly accompanied by Tabac Blond. danny's pic reminds me of a craving coming on... both a good smoke and the smell of TB
    Best to all

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Hope your evening went well G. You may recall (after hearing about 1000 times ) that iris is probably my favourite accord.

Heading out later for a little sniffing and general over-indulging. SotD will be MFK Cologne pour le Soir.

Back well in time for the obligatory evening tipple later (Guten Morgen, L)
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 23rd November 2012 at 08:36 AM.

Good morning! I come and go here, and hope everybody's happy and well :-)
    I'm wearing ELDO Tilda Swinton Like this today.
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

Good morning fragrant gentlemen and lady!
    Not scented yet, but planning to go further in my leather trip with not so leathery but oh yes so delicious Traversée du Bosphore.
    Have a nice Friday all of you.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Bonjour Mesdames!
    ..vintage

I did two dreadful thanksgiving shifts at work yesterday in Lady Vengeance 11am-5pm then 9pm-3am, and please I beg of you don't shop today. Today I'm working 8am-4pm in BaV
    "I guess it's like most dreams, people work hard for them, they take time, When you arrive you aren't sure if it's what you expected. Hopefully it's better, but I guess that is why people dream and choose to chase them" ~anonymous.

"You’re buying stars to shut out the light. We come alone and alone we die And no matter how hard you try I’ll always belong in the sky" ~ Marina and The Diamonds

Good morning, dear family. See that our US friends are in a bird-induced slumber, still.

Why don't I wear it more often has been the question popping up in my mind about twice a month. One of them rare beauties I am in the mood for today is Charles Jourdan L'Insolent. I am also in the mood of stopping by the library and ordering a few books through ILL: has been a while, since September.

Basenotes Plus

Hello, everyone. I hope everyone celebrating had a lovely Thanksgiving. Everything went well chez moi (and everything WENT! Hardly any leftovers.)

As usual, I am boycotting the Black Friday madness. SOTD is Eau de Shalimar.

Happy Friday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Afternoon Everyone,

Jon - you would have been in heaven last night, I'm sure. More iris perfumes than you could poke a testing-strip at ! Good company to boot

Will certainly be joining the luxuriously jumpered Larimar et al in a glass of red tonight. Feeling celebratory as I've just returned from the dentist with a clean bill of oral health.

Testing MFK's Amyris (the femme version, I believe) from a sample I grabbed yesterday.

Have a lovely Friday, all.

Hello from Checkpoint Charlie. SOTD is Bvlgari Black.

Have a lovely weekend!

tumblr_m65mebkfrh1r01d4bo1_500.jpg
    Do happy

Thumbs up Re: SotD Fri 23rd Nov 2012

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

This week was crazy! SotD is Parfumerie Generale Ilang Ivohibe

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Givenchy Pi

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

​Tom Ford Black Orchid
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    ... More iris perfumes than you could poke a testing-strip at!

Sampling Eaux de Cologne Fleur by Detaille, a buttoned-up business suit lemon eau, the epitome of confidence in a modern boardroom on a summer day. Thanks for another pleasant new experience, CN.

The temps have dropped 30° since yesters, a couple snowflakes blow about, flocks of sandhill cranes buck the wind in a gray sky, tomatoes ripen only on the windowsill, winter appears moored at our doorstep.

In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Greyland by Montale

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    Good morning fragrant gentlemen and lady!
    Not scented yet, but planning to go further in my leather trip with not so leathery but oh yes so delicious Traversée du Bosphore.
    Have a nice Friday all of you.

Good girl! Delicious indeed, Iris/Leather/TurkiSh Delight. Yum!

Quarry, the Cranes in flight photograph is wonderful, thanks.

Well, I hope that all of our American friends who celebrate Thanksgiving had a very nice time.

Esvedra today, for the synch.

Have a lovely weekend all.
    Last edited by Foustie; 23rd November 2012 at 05:10 PM.

Hello everyone!

I'm in White Aoud this morning. Y'all have a wonderful day!

Just read the happy news, danny - congratulations!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Mrs. Q, thanks for the sandhill crane pics! Here in New Mexico, just south of Albuquerque is a Bosque of wooded, watery land that is an annual stopping and resting point for the cranes. And yes, this is the time of the year. It is an amazing sight to see literally hundreds of the birds swoop down and then take flight. I need to get down there, as I have not gone shooting (camera of course) in a long time.

SotD will be Eau de Lalique for tennis, then possibly some sampling for the afternoon and evening. A certain special person has delivered a wonderful selection for me to play with

Basenotes Plus

Mrs Q, thanks for the crane pics - wonderful !.
    Today's foray has resulted in one burning question. How long will it be before I cave in and drop some cash on a full bottle of Grossmiths new and hugely impressive Golden Chypre ?. BIG WOW !.
    Also rather humbled and delighted to be referred to by the SA in Fortnums as "one of our real connoisseurs". Fame at last .

This evening's indulgence will be a Pinot Noir from South Otago NZ, accompanied by anchovy stuffed olives

SotE - Creed Baie de Genievre.

Basenotes Plus

Quarry, loved your picture of the sandhill cranes. They are fascinating to watch, we have a couple in our yard every summer. I hope they have all flown south by now because it's gotten really cold here, 16F for a high today. Yesterday it rained and then started snowing, looks like winter is here to stay this time.

SotA is Carolina Herrera 212 Sexy, with notes of mandarin, tangerine, bergamot, spicy pink peppercorn, geranium, gardenia, floral petals, cotton candy, vanilla, sandalwood and white musk.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

SOTE
    Caldey Island Lavender

Good Evening,

I too loved the Crane piccies, Q. Many thanks.
    Jon - I sniffed the new Grossmith perfumes last weekend and Golden Chypre was also my pick of the bunch. Very bright and citrusy.
    Jicky extrait tonight. So comforting.

Best to all.

SotD is a Boucheron flanker (there are so many of them!) - The "Secrets de Joaillier 2008 Eau Legere limited edition". Pale gold jus in a clear bottle with delicate engravings on front center and back. It's classified as an Oriental with notes of: bergamot and mandarin, broom and narcissus, musk and vanilla. This a perfect fragrance for today, as I perform my annual, day after Thanksgiving ritual: Making of the Christmas Season Pomanders. I'm gathering up oranges and sprinkling the cloves into a bowl. Ahh, the fragrance that awaits!
    Last edited by pomander; 23rd November 2012 at 06:26 PM.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Blog Entries

C&E Evelyn today, and off for a bit of gallivanting!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Jon - I sniffed the new Grossmith perfumes last weekend and Golden Chypre was also my pick of the bunch. Very bright and citrusy.
    I agree - an absolute delight, and I can't help thinking that the bottle would look rather elegant somewhere in our home . Photographs really don't convey how tactile and beautiful it actually is. I think it will be a case of "when" rather than "if".

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    I agree - an absolute delight, and I can't help thinking that the bottle would look rather elegant somewhere in our home . Photographs really don't convey how tactile and beautiful it actually is. I think it will be a case of "when" rather than "if".

Jon, you make it sound lovely. And the entire line just appeared in my Quality Missala boutique! Got to visit them or order samples online.

Banned

goood evening peeps

oh i discovered my love for iris this late summer!! few months ago i thought its plain vanilla, nothing exciting ,then out of the blue i just realized it is so so sooooooooo elegant note!! and luxury !! i love 28 La Pausa, hope i will own it once, and i like also how its done in Chanel no 18, looking forward to testing impossible iris ) and like Iris silver mist so so much, and Iris nobile not bad at all!!

my picture of the day and scent of the day arrived yesterday

i put it on my shirt, we have casual fridays and it was there all day long!! and reminded me a lot of Coromandel!!! i was getting a lot of patchouli! where i was not able to get any of it in any other Shalimar!! so this was such a nice surprise for me...

another big surprise was when i recieved it and...the box was smelling and its emanating the smell from the sealed bottle! the room took over the scent! amazing
    now i understand this vintage fascination much better!!

btw this cologne has very simmilar effect in the opening as modern Shalimar EDP, thats that emotion, while EDT is much warmer!!...so i do understand now why men like that Cologne so much! and i like it as well hehe

John i wear that Cologne too ,with Amouage Gold ,makes such a lovely combination hehehe....

i will be doing lots of sniffing thanks to lovely basenoters

Belated congratulations to Danny and his family!

LadyM, another wonderful photo!

I hope everyone had a good day yesterday. I just managed to avoid eating myself into a coma and really enjoyed spending the day with family. SotD yesterday was warm, nutty PG Aomassai.

I'm with tdem in boycotting shopping today, opting instead to spend time with my mom and brother.

Today is the first really cold day we've had in a while -- below freezing and 30mph winds although the sun is out and the skies are cloudless. BRRRRR! This calls for an AMBER!

And so it goes: Kerosene Copper Skies.

L'Ame Soeur
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Gris Clair...
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Hey y'all -

I'm in Lumière Noire pour Femme this afternoon.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I'm in synch and wearing Black Cashmere today. I find myself thinking "I should wear this more often" quite a bit ... it is one of the hazards of having a fairly large collection, I guess. I didn't even get the Black Friday connection either, until just now. Sometimes my sense of humor is like that, but I can't take credit for it today ...

I'm having a surprise day off today, since we were really slow at work. Nice to rest up and be lazy after yesterday's holiday. And no shopping for me today either! There isn't a bargain good enough for me to brave the craziness out there!

Have a good day everyone!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Continuing with amber this evening in HdP Ambre 114.

I'm having some girlfriends over for dinner, and wearing poison (a new mini, a pal's castoff). I think both me and dinner smell incredibly yummy.

E.Coudray Fetiche for the evening.

Since we live between ExtemeK and Kiliwia, our weather is somewhat in-between: a few snowflakes, in the lower 20s, the winds have subsided some, expecting the first big snow on Monday.

Blog Entries

We visited Greenwich for a couple of hours this afternoon.

At Saks Dolce & Gabbana counter, sales associate Vera kindly gave me some official samples to use for sampling groups. The vials look like they hold 2 mls, and are dabber type.

I have 3 of Velvet Love, 3 of Velvet Desire, and 1 of Velvet Vetiver. (There weren't any samples of the three other fragrances in the Velvet line.)

Tomorrow I will set up 3 sampling groups for these fragrances.

I had Aventus during the day. For my SOTE I'm going to be paying homage to Miss. Monroe and wear a few drops to bed ;-)

Basenotes Institution

This morning it was:

Jicky (extrait) by Guerlain

This afternoon, it was:

Chergui by Serge Lutens

Tonight it will be:

Oud Luban (solid) by Aftelier Perfumes

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Memoir woman for me tonight