Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1

    Default Feeling undermined..

    Whenever I go into a fragrance store I get weird looks because I'm young, it kind of puts me off of the whole collection stuff, any advice? Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    How old are you & who is giving you weird looks, other shoppers or sales assistants?

    The people giving you strange looks must be idiots. For all they know, you could be looking for a gift for someone else. I wouldn't worry about it.

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    78,390

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Just don't pay attention to the others.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Perfect!
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Just don't pay attention to the others.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Don't pay any attention to others. Unless you mean you're really so young that people may be wondering why you're on your own and not with an adult?
    If you deal with a good sales person and come across as genuinely serious and interested, they'll be helpful and you don't need to worry about anyone else around you.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivibezz View Post
    Whenever I go into a fragrance store I get weird looks because I'm young, it kind of puts me off of the whole collection stuff, any advice? Thanks!
    Grow a beard.
    Summer 2014 favorites

    1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

    7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

  7. #7
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,393
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    I agree with everyone else. you have money to spend and as lomg as your serious about what your there for, then you should'n't have any problems. Don't let people affect how you feel!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

  8. #8
    Dependent chili_willi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    1,678

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Grow a beard.
    At least a handlebar mustache and a monacle, they'll think you're a board game magnate.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Do what I do...pull out the Burberry Wallet, and watch the SR's swarm you.

  10. #10
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,373

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Activate your local Basenotes wing. Get them to come to this particular store and give the SAs and everyone else weird looks.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Don't even think twice about it.

    for swap/sale:





  12. #12

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Are you sure it happens because your are young? There may be other reasons.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Agree with people above and I assume you know how to behave in public. If SAs or fellow shoppers have an issue with you, that's their problem. Don't make it yours.

    By the way, there are plenty of older people on perfume forums complaining that they feel uncomfortable in expensive or niche fragrance shops because they think the SAs or whoever are judging them. Don't be one of those people. Your money is as good as anyone else's, so be confident and don't make others' snobbiness your problem.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Agree with people above and I assume you know how to behave in public. If SAs or fellow shoppers have an issue with you, that's their problem. Don't make it yours.

    By the way, there are plenty of older people on perfume forums complaining that they feel uncomfortable in expensive or niche fragrance shops because they think the SAs or whoever are judging them. Don't be one of those people. Your money is as good as anyone else's, so be confident and don't make others' snobbiness your problem.
    Yes I do.

    And to the person above the person I just quoted, such as what?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Activate your local Basenotes wing. Get them to come to this particular store and give the SAs and everyone else weird looks.
    Love this! Years ago when I was in med school in Manhattan I had a Bergdorf SA following me around with an eagle eye on me, like I was about to steal something. I guess I was supposed to dress up to go there? I could have used a good frag wingman (especially one who looks Peck-ish ). I have never set foot in Bergdorf's since, even though I'm now less impecunious.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivibezz View Post
    And to the person above the person I just quoted, such as what?
    Could be many things, I don't know how you look/dress/behave. What makes you think it's because you're young?
    How sure are you that they look at you in a weird way and that it's not all in your imagination?

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivibezz View Post
    Whenever I go into a fragrance store I get weird looks because I'm young, it kind of puts me off of the whole collection stuff, any advice? Thanks!
    No-one is looking at you. Youngsters often think everyone is looking at them. I did. Years later you realise that no-one is paying attention to anyone except themselves.

  18. #18
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,845
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Sometimes young fragrance shoppers are looked at as moochers who want free samples or to use the testers as their personal wardrobe. As long as you ask intellegent questions, and show a knowlege of fragrances, they will trip over themselves to help you.

  19. #19
    Dsquared2
    Guest

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Shine like a pure white diamond and go back to that shop youngling!!!!!!

    TLS

  20. #20

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Could be many things, I don't know how you look/dress/behave. What makes you think it's because you're young?
    How sure are you that they look at you in a weird way and that it's not all in your imagination?
    It's not the others that are shopping, it's the SA's.

    And no, it's not in the mind man.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivibezz View Post
    It's not the others that are shopping, it's the SA's.

    And no, it's not in the mind man.
    Hello, Jack.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Quote Originally Posted by dwyw View Post
    Hello, Jack.
    Who are you

  23. #23

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Hmm, sounds like you're browsing around the counters at Neiman Marcus... I LOL at their "SALE" rack.

    But yea, just focus on what you're looking for. Ask them a tough question or two to let them know you're not there to swipe the tester bottles and you actually have a goal in mind of finding something special.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    Hmm, sounds like you're browsing around the counters at Neiman Marcus... I LOL at their "SALE" rack.

    But yea, just focus on what you're looking for. Ask them a tough question or two to let them know you're not there to swipe the tester bottles and you actually have a goal in mind of finding something special.
    Thanks, but I'm jsut trying to figure out who DWYW is and how he knows my name...

  25. #25

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Ivibezz, I understand what you are saying and just ignore the people who tell you it is "all in your mind"....etc. As if you would just imagine such a thing. SA's and older adults in general treat youth with disrespect and disdain alot of times. I've noticed this at fragrance counters especially and can relate. As long as you have proper etiquette, they have no right to be rude and look at you in such a manner.

    There are nice SA's as well and always make a point of conversing ( if you need to ) with them. I am not saying you should be rude back at the SA"s, but just be assertive. I've always found it best just to ignore the unpleasant SA's. If I need help, I'll ask a nicer one or if there isn't one, keep my request brief. I try not to spend too much time at the fragrance counter. I'll make a point of testing a couple of fragrances on my wrist. Perhaps testing a couple of others on a card and then that is it.

    One reason why SA's are rude and look at young people strange is because it is a department that tends to attract those people. Another is that in my experience the general population thinks of fragrances as something special and overly luxurious. Something that is worn at special times. Somethng where the brand speaks louder than the wearers enjoyment of it.

    You've got a great tool in Basenotes. Use it well and you'll generally do well in this passion.

    Quote Originally Posted by dwyw View Post
    Hello, Jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivibezz View Post
    Who are you
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivibezz View Post
    Thanks, but I'm jsut trying to figure out who DWYW is and how he knows my name...
    Wow, this is quite strange and somewhat creepy.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

    Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

    More HERE
    Please PM me !

  26. #26
    Super Member suds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Isle of Ynys Mon
    Posts
    112

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    ''Wow, this is quite strange and somewhat creepy''.[/QUOTE]

    Don't worry it's a recent joiner and clearly someone who knows you...

    ''Whenever I go into a fragrance store I get weird looks because I'm young, it kind of puts me off of the whole collection stuff, any advice? Thanks!''- Staff are there to sell, sell and keep on selling to hit their targets/commissions, they are probably wonndering whether they are missing a sale or whether you are just one of the 100s of youngsters passing the time of day- smile at the sales staff and they will either smile back and relax, or jump on your bones trying to sell you something!
    Last edited by suds; 25th November 2012 at 08:59 PM.

  27. #27
    Super Member TeenfragGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Matamoras, PA
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Hey, I'm 14 and am a fraghead. When i first started people gave me weird looks too, but just ignore them. do what you love. Everyone in the Parfum shops here know me by now. Show them who's boss and show off your knowledge of frags, they'll end up respecting you for that. Just don't show off too much. ) Good luck man.
    Hey BN'ers come check out my blog/channel for reviews/unboxings/first impressions! Feel free to subscribe and, thanks much. TheScentNose.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheScentNose?feature=mhee

  28. #28

    Default Re: Feeling undermined..

    Thanks guys. Yeah, I know where DWYW's from but not what user.. Hm. Oh well, doesn't phase me tbh.

    And yeah, I mean I'm not young young, 15, it's young, but not substantially young. Probably just me over reacting in a way.. As I'm not working I can't afford niches either haha, so I look a tiny bit stupid walking around smelling a load of fragrances..

    I don't buy online either which can make buying substantially harder, luckily there are Creed boutiques near me so if I can some day justify spending that much I most definitely will. As its a lot of money I'd probably just say its a gift as Xmas is slowly coming upon us.

    Anyway guys. Thanks a bunch, you've been helpful.
    Specific thanks to: suds, surfacing and Kagey. (also everyone else, too).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TeenfragGent View Post
    Hey, I'm 14 and am a fraghead. When i first started people gave me weird looks too, but just ignore them. do what you love. Everyone in the Parfum shops here know me by now. Show them who's boss and show off your knowledge of frags, they'll end up respecting you for that. Just don't show off too much. ) Good luck man.
    And this man.

Similar Threads

  1. Not feeling it.
    By wmim in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 13th November 2011, 12:35 AM
  2. A Feeling of Sanctuary
    By Sloan in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 16th March 2009, 11:36 AM
  3. Feeling Man--Are You Feeling It?
    By Ballardbeau in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 5th October 2005, 04:54 PM
  4. Feeling Man help
    By Octothorpe in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11th March 2005, 02:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •