Code of Conduct
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Sample pass (USA): D&G Velvet Love, Desire, Vetiver

Yesterday while visiting Saks in Greenwich, CT, I came across a display of the 6 Dolce & Gabbana "Velvet" fragrances.

Sales Associate Vera kindly gave me the following samples for the purpose of a sample pass:

• 3 samples of Velvet Love (carnation, ylang-ylang and pepper-- strong carnation note here, creamy, very like CDG Carnation.)
    • 3 samples of Velvet Desire (gardenia, tuberose and frangipani-- not so strong nor long-lasting, not overwhelming)
    • 1 sample of Velvet Vetiver (which I decanted into smaller glass vials so that there will be 3 of these as well, one per group.) (vetiver, galbanum and black fig-- I smelled bergamot and fig; seems like it could have been an Hermessence-- transparent.)

Samples of the other 3 fragrances in the line-- Velvet Sublime, Velvet Wood and Velvet Patchouli-- were not available, unfortunately, but the Patchouli in particular is worth trying if you get the chance.)

Vera asked me if I make money doing this and I assured her that it is completely non-profit. In fact, the opposite is true-- we all spend the cost of postage and packaging to mail the samples to one another-- but the opportunity to test fragrances that Basenotes members might not otherwise have access to, and the ability of many other people to read the reviews, makes this an excellent use of samples.

The samples are large, 2 mls each in dabber vials.

I would like to form 3 groups to sample these, up to 3 people per group, depending on how much interest there is.
    The first recipient will test and post any impressions they wish to share, then mail to the next person, etc. The final recipient keeps the samples.
    First 3 members, I will need your name/mailing address if I don't already have it.
    Next people in each group, send your address to the person who will ship to you.

I will ship them as soon as we have the first 3 group members. USA only.

Please sign up by posting below.

Group 1
    : mailed
    1. southerngardens

Group 2: mailed
    1. kalli

Group 3: mailed
    1. Genie Jeannie

Edit 12/15/12:
    Sample pass is now closed due to lack of further interest.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 15th December 2012 at 12:16 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sample pass (USA): D&G Velvet Love, Desire, Vetiver

I would like to join in!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yay! You are in.

I believe our dear PerfumedLady would happily join you

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Paging PerfumedLady.....

It's a very busy season with Christmas ahead so some may already have their hands full.
    Please be assured we are NOT looking for complex reviews! A few thoughts and impressions are enough!

Thanks for thinking of me, lucasai & 30R. These do sound interesting but I just wouldn't be able to get them done in a timely manner; the monster Goutal pass just arrived and I've barely made a dent. I'm afraid I've finally met a sample pass I can't squeeze in.

Thank you for doing this yet again, 30R! That was quite a generous donation you secured for the gang! As soon as I finish the Goutals, I will be finally following your example; have a little sample pass I've been putting together!

Folks, speak up and join in! Sampling groups are one of the very best ways for perfume lovers to learn!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I totally understand, PL! Been there and done that.

I am interested in trying these out. Been wanting to try that Velvet Love specifically for that carnation. Primrose may be interested in that Velvet Wood maybe? Cause of the leather note?

Thanks 30R.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

You're in, kalli.

Unfortunately I was unable to get a sample of Velvet Wood.

For some reason, I didn't notice all the ones you had, lol. Thanks for including me though.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Bumping to say I am shipping groups 1 and 2 today (dropping off in P.O. after-hours slot.)

Anyone else?
    Daughter is using computer but I will check back later.

Edit:
    I added a few impressions to post #1.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 25th November 2012 at 11:51 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Come on Ladies AND Gents get on board this is going to be fun!

- - - Updated - - -

30R thanks for sharing your notes on the fragrances.

D&G -- currently -- do not make anything for this skin, Domenico and Stefano seem to be targeting an entirely different audience as of late.

That said, thanks 30R for yet another sample pass and for being a window into the fragrant world for many of us.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Bump!

Lots of room for more testers, ladies and gents.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Bumpity Bump Bump....what has happened to everyone? The Ladies forum used to be jumping?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

It's now the pre-Christmas season, southerngardens, and there's lots for us ladies to do.
    Hopefully you and kalli will get your sample packets tomorrow.

So, I got my packet, thank you!

Well, I went right to Love..first thought from sniff out of vial, 'higher quality than expected.' Then I applied it, this is *spicy*! Now I like spice here and there but wow, spicy! So spicy, I felt a burn on the skin, lol! The carnation note was impressive though the spice really kind of overpowers the carnation a bit. But both the spice and carnation are strong in this one, so the carnation is right there along with the spice but the spice is much stronger than the carnation. The carnation note is much, much more present than in that Sweet William. In fact, this is kind of what I hoped Sweet William would be like..though, could use just a little less spice. Yes, it's a bit like the CDG(though, much, much spicier) it has that green element of the carnation like the CDG does for a while. I don't like that aspect, it's too green of a note for me. The CDG, imo, is more green. It's like the scent towards the base of the carnation flower where it's green on the petals. I'd like a scent that doesn't have that green to it as much. The center of a carnation doesn't smell too green to me, though, it's been a while since I've sniffed a carnation, I'd really like it to be less green. I soaked some carnation petals in some pure alcohol to see what happened a while back, lol, gosh, did that smell *bad*. The green notes were just so strong and awful, lol, don't know why I did that lol, wanted to see what happened. But ya, there is that green aspect I don't like but the green doesn't last too long, I would say in the CDG it lasts longer. So, happy about that. The spice is really too much almost, though it's nicer when out in the cold, then the spice was really alright. I liked this scent more after 2-3 hours..the cinnamon came out more(I am going to guess there is cinnamon, though I don't see it listed in the notes) and the carnation was still present, glad to say, without that green aspect to it. Notes appeared to be pepper and others as listed, clove and cinnamon...I also want to say that there was a very light musk added as well, not sure but I think so. Though it wasn't enough to where it bothered me much if that was the case. There is a ginger or gingerbread aspect to it I'd say as well. Not sure why it burned on the skin, my guess is the cinnamon oil or extract if it was used. Or maybe it was an overdose of pepper, lol, or both. So, if the spices were turned down and the green note was less, I'd say, we got a winner here. The green note, like I said, doesn't last too long but the carnation is still present later which I like very much. So, when it dried down I found myself really liking it and kind of wanting a bottle! So, all is well that ends well! I'd get it for the dry down, though, I would apply to maybe more clothing and less on the skin, lol. I was impressed overall. I still haven't found *the* carnation scent but this is the first one where I wouldn't mind having a bottle. It's sort of close to what I'd want..without so much of that spice, though if it's cold..I kinda want the spice! I wanted to keep the sample, so that's good. I've tried Sweet William(no carnation), Bellodgia(way too musky, carnations should never be musky, imo, lol), CDG(too green), vintage Molinard Oeillet(super waxy with a salty, play-doh aspect, not a very strong carnation note, it's there but it's more on the soapy side, really soapy imo, not sure if it was the sample but definitely a bad 'carnation' imo). So, I was happy to find the D&G, which is really getting to be much more up my alley. Like I said, there was that green note but didn't last as long as the CDG so, was happy about that. I very much liked the dry down, though still pretty spicy, definitely one for winter.

The prices of these, wow. Well, that's a bummer! Are these limited editions by the way?
    Last edited by kalli; 29th November 2012 at 10:12 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that, kalli.

There are several other potent carnations you may wish to sample someday: Lorenzo Villoresi Garofano (Italian for carnation) and Santa Maria Novella Garofano. I find both of them more clovey than I like, though. Personally my favorite is the CDG, but even so, I find I don't want to wear it. Carnation, like gardenia, seems to be a floral note that I like to smell briefly.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thank you for sharing your impressions Kalli! I love the scent of carnation, so, I'm glad you found this one OK. Can't wait to sniff them myself!

I was looking up Cartier L'Heure Convoitee, looks like I may have to seek a sample of that from somewhere perhaps. Cristobal Paris and the one by DSH sound interesting too. Maybe Donna by LV as well..though it's more about the rose it looks like. Nothing beats the real carnation flower though huh?.

Well, I've been trying to hold back & not be such a "pass piggie", but the sound of that spicy carnation is sure tempting! Is that spot for group 3 still open, 30 Roses?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yes, I'll mail it tomorrow!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Hello Ladies! I have gotten my package today and I will give you my impressions in the next few days, if that is ok? I have already scented myself this AM for the synchronized Friday.

Best wishes

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Good! I shipped the samples to Genie Jeannie this morning.

Hopefully a few more people will sign up to try these, but if not, I will close the thread in 2 weeks and you three can keep your samples.

I was seeking out prices for decants/samples for the D&G..STC and TPC are super expensive. 60 bucks for 8 ml? TPC, 77 bucks for 8 ml? I mean, really? No way. Who is going to buy that? It would be better to just save for the 50ml retail bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Yes, I'll mail it tomorrow!
    Thank you, 30 Roses! I've been craving spicy scents lately. Can't wait to try these, especially Velvet Love!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I was seeking out prices for decants/samples for the D&G..STC and TPC are super expensive. 60 bucks for 8 ml? TPC, 77 bucks for 8 ml? I mean, really? No way. Who is going to buy that? It would be better to just save for the 50ml retail bottle.
    Have you tried the Velvet Desire yet?

Nope! LOL. I did a small sniff out of the vial, pretty much all I want to do! lol. Lol, when I first heard about these scent names, I thought of Valentine's Day..maybe a velvet box of chocolates with that Velvet Love. lol. The velvet part I find a little funny.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Good Morning! Well, I have tried all three of the Velvet's and I just wanted to start by saying they all smelled wonderful in the vials , but they all three shared the same problem with me. There longevity was poor even though they are EDP's and with short longevity comes low sillage. I have normal to dry skin skin and my skin will usually eat and EDT fragrance for lunch unless it's a powerhouse, but I usually fair better with the parfums.
    All three also seemed to open up so quickly it was hard to distinguish one note from the next. It's hard to know if it was contributable to my untrained nose, poor perfumery or my skin type?

VELVET VETIVER: is supposed to be a fragrance inspired by the Mediterranean summer. The composition is a mixture vetiver and galbanum mixed with fig. This was lovely when I first applied it for about half an hour with the vetiver and green galbanum opening the show, but I never got the scent of fig. It closed so fast that it was lost on me. However, I wanted Velvet Vetiver to go on forever! it was wonderful during it's short life on me of just about an hour and a half. I love Vetiver and mixed with the soft, not sharp, notes of the galbanum was heavenly even though someone stole my fig! LOL A definite unisex frag as well.

VELVET LOVE: Is a fragrance inspired by carnations. The composition is a mixture of carnation, ylang-ylang and pepper.
    Velvet Love opens with a blast of ylang-ylang that if had have lasted to long could become cloying, yet the carnation came in and lightened the frag somewhat, but as with the Velvet Vetiver it happenes so quickly or is so well done that it was almost hardly noticed. I know I never did get a wiff of pepper before the frag closed on me. It lasted a respectable time of 4.5 hours and sillage was good! It's not frag a male could get away with IMO.

VELVET DESIRE: Is supposed to give a sense of the Renaissance period with a compostion of Gardenia, Sweet Tuberose and Fra
    ngipani. What can I say about Velvet Desire....It's SWEET! It was hard for me to tell where the Gardenia, tuberose and frangipani left and began on me. I could distinguish the gardenia throughout the entire composition which was lovely , but it was just too cloying. Thank goodness it only lasted about 2.5 hours on me and the sillage was above average. Another that a man could absolutely not wear.

Well, went to the vetiver. This kind of reminds me of Bleu De Chanel with a light coconut note in there? It was dry, citrus at first then becomes creamy and a bit balmy. Something a bit sweet. This is masculine to me..smells like a men's scent one would smell at like Hollister or A&F. Notes, I would say lime, maybe coconut, vetiver and musk? Clean and masculine. I don't see citrus listed but this smells very lime-y, green-yellow citrus. Citrus-y, balmy, a bit musky. The 'coconut' note doesn't last too long and then the fume becomes more transparent and musk-like, while keeping the citrus, then the citrus fades a bit and the musk-like note comes out more. There is a sweetness that stays in the background for a bit, a light sweet but not overly fruity or anything. Stays balmy for a while.

Lol, I looked it up, guess there is fig, a note I have no clue about. Others said they picked up a coconut note as well. Not really my thing as I don't want to smell like a men's dept store frag. I am not too familiar with vetiver..I have smelled Sycomore and I would say this is very different from that one. Sycomore is way, way smoky and thick with a lot less citrus. D&G is more clean, lighter and smells more 'mainstream' I suppose one could say, like something from Hollister. Longevity isn't all that great on the D&G. Scent almost disappears after an hour.

The Desire, very light dab of this, lol obviously not my fave flowers goin on here, lol. Too me, it's a very strong floral with strong animalic notes, musk. It's pretty straight forward, lots of tuberose, a dose of gardenia and a bit of frangipani. I am not too familiar with frangipani but from what I've smelled of it I'd say there is enough just to break this up from being a straight tuberose/gardenia scent. Plays a decent role in this I think. A lot of tuberose in this. Smelled something sweet & fruity as well, strawberry? Fruit isn't listed but I'd say this has a fruity element in there, strawberry would be a guess, not sure. A sweeter, tuberose scent. If you like Fracas, this is for you.
    Last edited by kalli; 3rd December 2012 at 07:19 AM.

Got my package of scents & will test them out tomorrow. Thank you 30 Roses (& Vera from Saks)!! What generously sized sample bottles they give out! Can't wait to test them...

Nice reviews,southerngardens! Sounds like we needed to call you flowergardens that day. Thanks for being such a good sport.

Kalli, glad to see we actually got a tuberose/gardenia scent on you & you survived the experience. Good for you! I know what your reference to Fracas means though!!

Well, I just thought, I signed up for the pass, I guess I should test it out..even though I know I won't like it. lol. I signed up for that carnation and it actually ended up being on my want list, so thanks 30R! It really is a good winter fume.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yes, kalli, I found it the nicest of the three.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Bump! There is still room on the pass for some ladies or gents! I have a sample lot I can send to you right now.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I think it is now time to close this sample pass. The samples may be kept by the 3 members who have them.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I am so disappointed we didn't have more participate, but thank you for the samples, roses.

Thank you 30R for the pass, very nice of you!

My apologies for being so late with my reviews! Been down with the flu & scentless for a while. (Don't catch this one folks...very, very nasty! ) But it was refreshing to perk myself up with some new scents this morning, courtesy of 30 Roses!

I started out with Velvet Love, as I was looking forward to this one the most. It opens up sweet & spicy, with my beautiful ylang taking center stage. Rather than pepper, I detect a distinct note of clove. As the scent progresses the ylang gives way to the spicier carnation & the bite of pepper becomes more apparent. Wow, this one is heating up! The sweetness is no longer in evidence, as the carnation & pepper battle for dominance. It takes a while for the pepper to lose its pungency, but the drydown ends up as the spicy carnation scent I had anticipated. I think I would personally prefer a little more ylang to soften the rough edges of Velvet Love, but it certainly delivers on the scent it's intended to be.

Given my history with the notes in Velvet Desire, I was a little hesitant to dab it on my skin. I was pleasantly surprised. It opens as a very sweet, fresh floral bouquet. To my nose there is a hint of jasmine, with the tuberose & gardenia lacking the meaty aspect that I dislike. There also seems to be a hint of fruit, as Kalli detected. The progression of the scent is quite linear, with tuberose finally dominating in the drydown. While this is not to my taste, Velvet Desire is a very sweet, youthful scent that will please those with a passion for bold white florals.

Velvet Vetiver is the most difficult scent for me to review, as I'm not familiar with the notes of vetiver and galbanum. But I will say that this is my favorite scent of the trio! The opening is fresh & citrusy, and I do detect the fig note. (I think I stole your fig, Southerngardens. ) It reminds me of something familiar & comforting, but I can't place the association. While it does have more of a masculine vibe, I do find it perfectly acceptable as a unisex scent that I am happy to wear. A very soft & well-rounded scent - just beautiful!

Thank you for yet another generous pass, 30 Roses! You continue to make this a more fragrant world!!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thanks Geanie Jeanie for your wonderful reviews of the Velvet Line. I knew I was missing that fig! LOL