Code of Conduct

Thread: Angel Men/A*Men

Default Angel Men/A*Men

Upon first sniff I f*****g hated it. I thought if was repulsive and almost made me puke to death. I made a promise to myself not to smell this ever again for my own sake. Well, I'm here right now to tell you that I was completely wrong..

As I said, I told myself never to smell this again. But I eventually ended up doing just that.
    A week ago my friends and I were at our local mall trying out different fragrances. At this point it had been almost a year when I first smelled A*Men. So, my friend sprayed a fragrance on a paper strip. He instantly gave it to me and said "dude, this is the most disgusting smell EVER" And whenever he says that I get excited, just to see how disgusting it really is. I placed the paper strip under my nose & I instantly fell in love..

Peppermint, chocolate and caramel. I thought I was in heaven. My friend looked at me and thought I was crazy. At this point I didn't knew what fragrance it was. He gave me the bottle and thought to my self "omg, A*Men"

I really didn't know what to believe at that point. I hated this fragrance more than anything else, at least that's what I thought right until this moment. I sprayed some on my wrist and you know what? It smelt even better!

I want to wear this but I don't know if I should..
    Last edited by MikeDropIt; 24th November 2012 at 10:21 PM.

Default Re: Angel Men/A*Men

People often do a 180 with this fragrance, myself included.

Blog Entries

It's a love-hate fragrance. But IMO, it is one of the best from Thierry Mugler, followed closely by Pure Havane. Glad I have both in my collection.

I did an opposite 180, I loved it at first but now it's just so so. I decided Malt was the only Mugler I wanted.

Welcome to the inner circle

Some people's tastes change - it's natural.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Some people's tastes change - it's natural.
    So true. Btw Hednic, do you know where to get a bottle of Vanille Mokha? You suggested that one in one of my other threads. :P

I think it has a lot to do with the reformulated version that is on the market now. It is no way has harsh and jarring to the senses as when it was first launched in the mid 90's.

Complete 180, even within a few weeks, sprayed it in store thought it was gross, didnt get it.
    Something made me go back to it though and want to smell that smell again, i got testers and wore it for work.
    After a few weeks without it i was on Ebay looking for a 50ml bottle lol. I was actually excited to smell it again.

Scary.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I loved this wonderfully, complex, fragrance when it first came out. Today, I have learned to love and appreciate it even more. Angel Men has stood the test of time. It is a masterpiece.

The tar killed me the first time I tried AMen. Let it sit on the shelves for a few months and tried it again... now I love it in cold crisp winter weather.

I loved this stuff to begin with..and still do.
    This is exactly what happened with Armani Code though. Months ago I sprayed it on my wrist, and thought it was the most repulsive fragrance ever; I went home and washed it off.
    Now I own a bottle..

I found this one to be vile. It's only the second scrubber for me. I wore it for four hours on my second attempt to make sure I wasn't missing something.

It is a love-hate issue for some, but I always found it to be an interesting and good gourmand scent, although Pure Havane is my favourite Mugler.

Banned
    Blog Entries

A-Men is much better on the skin than the paper.

I didn't like it at first. Now I'm 50/50 on it.

I perennially try it. I shift from hate to like. Never love though.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    I loved this stuff to begin with..and still do.
    This is exactly what happened with Armani Code though. Months ago I sprayed it on my wrist, and thought it was the most repulsive fragrance ever; I went home and washed it off.
    Now I own a bottle..
    I feel ya bro!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

So this one has been reformulation, right? How many times? And when did it get reformulated? Let me know of you've got some information!

There are just few basic rules for AMen:

1. Spray less than you are used to with other fragrances
    2. Do not judge it by smell on test strip (If you have not smelled it on skin you are not allowed to post opinion!)
    3. Reformulated version is much more wearable
    4. Do not try it during hot summer day (especially not on your neck)
    5. See rules 1, 2, 3 and 4
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    There are just few basic rules for AMen:

1. Spray less than you are used to with other fragrances
    2. Do not judge it by smell on test strip (If you have not smelled it on skin you are not allowed to post opinion!)
    3. Reformulated version is much more wearable
    4. Do not try it during hot summer day (especially not on your neck)
    5. See rules 1, 2, 3 and 4
    When was it reformulated? What's the difference between original and reformulatad?

I did the 180 with the fragrance. Hated it at first, it was putrid on a test strip. But upon applying to skin, and getting to the drydown....that drydown is something special!!!!

I even love the tar note at the beginning now.

A*Men is my favorite Mugler behind Mugler Cologne!!!!

It also took me a while to appreciate it..but it deserves it I guess!
    This is an outstanding fragrance from the house of TM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    When was it reformulated? What's the difference between original and reformulatad?
    Not sure about year but A*Men that I bought and also another A*Men that I tried in shop in 2011 is weaker than A*men that I tried in 2009.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Not sure about year but A*Men that I bought and also another A*Men that I tried in shop in 2011 is weaker than A*men that I tried in 2009.
    That's pretty hard to understand since it's the strongest fragrance that I know of as we speak. How strong was it back in the days if it's this strong atm? Damn... now I need some vintage juice!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    That's pretty hard to understand since it's the strongest fragrance that I know of as we speak. How strong was it back in the days if it's this strong atm? Damn... now I need some vintage juice!
    Well, I think that there is high probability that many bottles of A*Men that are on shelves are still "vintage" juice. I dont think that it is selling as good as 1 million, Acqua Di Gio or Gucci Guilty in Europe. My version is still stronger than average fragrances but its not as strong as Fahrenheit or Black Aoud for example.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    People often do a 180 with this fragrance, myself included.
    Yep! So funny I saw this thread a couple of days ago, because it inspired me to give A*Men another shot from a recent sample I acquired with several others, before just passing it off. I'm glad I did, as to my my great shock, I actually appreciated and enjoyed it this time, whereas the first time I smelled it, I thought it was one of the worst things ever. I think there were a few reasons for it:
    1. The 1st time I tested it, I was still very, very new in trying out fragrances. I thought all colognes were supposed to smell mainly fresh, citrusy, clean, light, etc. I had never even heard of a gourmand at that point & the heaviness & rich sweetness with tar completely threw - and turned - me off.
    2. I tested it in a Sephora, on a test strip, after smelling dozens of other citrusy-type colognes, so it didn't stand a chance.
    3. There's a good chance I also smelled the more potent pre-formulation stuff.

Whatever the reason, i very naively wrote off what I didn't understand or even test properly. Coming back to it now, however, I could easily see why it's so highly regarded by many. I can't quite say I love it yet, and I'm having a hard time trying to picture when & where I'd actually wear it, but I'd give it a 4/5. What's funny is, I smelled far less tar than I remember, but it is still there, although now I can sort of understand why it's blended in to help balance things out. I'm guessing the new formulation may have toned it down. Either way, what I smell now is something I can finally see worthy of it's acclaim, IMO.