Code of Conduct

Default Do Fragrances Cause Us Harm?

I was at dinner with some friends and family last nite, my girlfriends friend mentioned how good I smelled, my girlfriend started talking about my collection of frags to the table, when a family Dr friend stated I should be carefull with them because they contain POV's..He said NOT TO APPLY RIGHT ON THE SKIN! I always spray 1 to the neck and 1 to the chest. Anyone else know or hear if frags are actually bad for us??
    Last edited by Bud_Rocks; 25th November 2012 at 12:28 AM.

Default Re: Fragrances Cause Cancer?

Would he show you the research that validates his claim so you could share it with us?

Doctors are notoriously wrong about health. They have a long track record of doing more harm than good. A quick look at the poisons they prescribe for mental illness, cancer, etc. would give me pause before following their advice.

Anything with synthics can be linked to cancer but have you check lately the world is full of them.

I can think of worse ways of securing an early grave.

Quite a provocative thread but without any evidence to support it just leaves it open to baseless speculation.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

This is something worth looking into considering that we are fragrance lovers.

I'll look into it, but can not take such a claim seriously. You're talking about something that almost everyone has/will use in their life.

I'm am just asking the question! please don't get it twisted I'm a fragrance lover like everyone else! I'm Just asking if any others have heard of this aswell?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I can think of worse ways of securing an early grave.
    Just what I was thinking. There are a LOT of things that cause cancer (not to mention a slew of other things as well). I'm not worried about a spray of perfume causing cancer.

Default Re: Do Fragrances Cause Us Harm?

There was a group boycotting certain specialty stores such as Abercrombie & Fitch because they spray the air with fragrances.

They made a few claims that caught my attention but think of all the other pollutants we're exposed to everyday that are air born.

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    There was a group boycotting certain specialty stores such as Abercrombie & Fitch because they spray the air with fragrances.

They made a few claims that caught my attention but think of all the other pollutants we're exposed to everyday that are air born.
    I boycott A&F for just that reason- but it's NOT because I am concerned about public health, it's because the place just REEKS of "masculine aquatic" and I can't tolerate the smell. I feel like I'd need a respirator to actually go in the place, not that I have any reason to anyway.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bud_Rocks View Post
    I was at dinner with some friends and family last nite, my girlfriends friend mentioned how good I smelled, my girlfriend started talking about my collection of frags to the table, when a family Dr friend stated I should be carefull with them because they contain POV's..He said NOT TO APPLY RIGHT ON THE SKIN! I always spray 1 to the neck and 1 to the chest. Anyone else know or hear if frags are actually bad for us??
    First your doctor friend should find a study to validate his claims, that is university backed, controlled, with a large enough sample size, with other equally merited studies replicating the results.

Otherwise, it's an old wives tale at best, and a conspiracy blog at worst.

Can't say I'm really all that concerned about a couple spritzes of fragrance per day. People do far worse with air fresheners (sprays & plugins), hairsprays, etc. Plus, I'd be far more concerned about the crap that's in my areas drinking water, what types of foods you're ingesting on a day-to-day basis or other more significant environmental factors. I would need to see a heck of a lot of objective, solid research (not generalized claims) that a couple sprays of cologne on the skin per day was seriously harmful to either short or long-term health before I'd even consider for a second changing it.

I have a doctor friend and she has NEVER mentioned that my fragrance issues could be bad for my health, and she can be VERY invasive with her "advice." Of course, I actually do believe that they're bad for my health regardless.

Think about it. When you wear a fragrance, even if you don't apply it on your skin, that shit is in your lungs all day long.

Can't be good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsetspawn View Post
    I have a doctor friend and she has NEVER mentioned that my fragrance issues could be bad for my health, and she can be VERY invasive with her "advice." Of course, I actually do believe that they're bad for my health regardless.

Think about it. When you wear a fragrance, even if you don't apply it on your skin, that shit is in your lungs all day long.

Can't be good for you.
    Trust me, you're exposed to pollution, second hand smoke, and other toxins, 24/7. At least if fragrances take you out...it'll be a nice ending!

Is he a veterinarian?

for swap/sale:

Well, I don't drink or smoke anymore, so if I traded those for fragrance, I am probably still ahead on that life-expectancy equation.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Is he a veterinarian?
    Too funny.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Blog Entries

What's a POV?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    What's a POV?
    point of view
    looool

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

point of view
    looool
    :Grin:
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

It's probably not exactly healthy but a lot of things aren't. I've only started using them fairly recently though, so I cannot comment on the condition long term users are in :-p

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hmmm...POV could stand for:

Patient Office Visit/Physician Office Visit/Purpose of Visit-- he gets a lot of visits from people who wear perfumes? Is he a dermatologist?

Pass Out Victim-- maybe his patients are fainting when entering Abercrombie and Fitch's overly-perfumed stores? LOL

People of Value/Person of Vision...now, I like that. Perfume lovers are persons of vision and value.

point of view
    looool
    Point of View doesn't fit with with what the OP was saying though.

"...they contain POV's."

???

My step-dad is a family physician and the head of the pharmacy committee at our local hospital and he never mentioned anything to me. He let's me buy my fragrances and has yet to say anything about cancer or anything negative to health. My mom is a nurse as well, and she has not mentioned anything either. She used to work as a chemo-nurse, and she said if she learned anything back then it was that cancer can happen to anyone at anytime, and that you can't live your life trying to avoid every little thing you hear is carcinogenic (outside of the big ones like cigarettes).

it's just because they cannot not wear perfumes while working imaging getting into surgery and you smell something weird on your doctor :O

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    What's a POV?
    When I was in the army, it meant Privately Owned Vehicle (as opposed to government, commercial, or military vehicle).

Quote Originally Posted by karlochacon View Post
    it's just because they cannot not wear perfumes while working imaging getting into surgery and you smell something weird on your doctor :O
    Imagine smelling Angel Men by Mugler after surgery on your doctor, you would think the angel of death had come calling.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Imagine smelling Angel Men by Mugler after surgery on your doctor, you would think the angel of death had come calling.lol
    lol....oh my god why everything is so sweet I'm in heaven or hell

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Trust me, you're exposed to pollution, second hand smoke, and other toxins, 24/7. At least if fragrances take you out...it'll be a nice ending!
    That's how I see it.

I definitely think that some ingredients in fragrances can be harmful. But then again ingredients in... shampoos or moisturizers, or plastic bottles that people drink water from, or laundry detergents or our food - can also be harmful. I agree with previous posters, you're never completely safe no matter what you do anyway.