Code of Conduct

Default Cabochard versus Bandit

I have known and appreciated Bandit (new, EDP) for years. I have classified it as one of, if not the best of my dark fragrances. Now I have been lucky enough to additionally buy 30ml of Cabochard (EDT). In a way I have known that from the perfumes my mother used, never touched it though. Even though this is the EDT only I am surprised how wonderful it is right from the start and how it develops during the following hours.
    So far so good - what I had not realized is the vicinity between Bandit and Cabochard, the latter just being slightly more chyprish and sweeter. The similarity is stunning, particularly as I had never heard that mentioned. If anybody knows both of them well, I would be interested in your views.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Default Re: Cabochard versus Bandit

I can see the similarities because both share a prominent note--leather.

I love them both but was very disappointed in the strength of Cabochard and wish like crazy it came in an EDP.

Neither works for me. Although, there is a gap between two formulations of Bandit, the original and a later (1970s?) reconfig that is perilously tannery-like. And both this shriveled hide and the original are in the market.

There is a similarity between Bandit and the Cab, but the latter struck me as being two separate scents, each perhaps with a competitive nature. There's that wide sonic boom of florals at the top, in a very classical and urgent manner, and then the cowskin beneath, angling to become the terrain from which the bouquet has sprung. And it doesn't work for me.

Bandit's leather is far more aggressive and greener (galbanum); it strikes me as a more balanced scent overall and better integrated. Cabochard seems to be two-faced and unsure which role it wishes to play.

Can't wear either. I guess I am not a leather man. Eh.

Blog Entries

I have the opposite appreciation of the two scents.

From the start I have loved Gres Cabochard and have it in the EDT (Vintage & Modern) & the parfum (vintage). I actually prefer the modern formulation finding it a wonderfully smooth tobacco -y leather that thankfully manages not to smell extremely masculine / feminine just wonderfully elegant, smokey, and 'right'. I reach for it when I want dark chypre without overt florals or green more earth. I find it tres elegant. :-*

I finally received Molinard Bandit last week after much lemming due to the many reviews touting its tough, uncompromising, 'don't give a d*mn' green chypre nature. I had built an image in my head that it would be Cabochard amped, especially with all the talk of green, leather and tobacco. Although I do enjoy the scent I was initially very disappointed as it turned out to be a soft, powdery Chypre on me similar to the drydown of Carven Ma Griffe and quite a few high end Men's EDTs as well (Chanel Pour Monsieur, Opium pour homme, etc). I find the Bandit the sweeter of the two but this may be due to the excess powderiness I experience. Bandit is unmistakably feminine or 'woman wearing good expensive male cologne' on me whilst Cabochard is more elegant, powerful individual who happens to be also all woman. Funny but that difference is important.

I am going to try both of these layered one over the other and see how that works. Maybe they will bring out the best in each other... ;D
    Either way, you have two classic original perfumes there that I hope you get to enjoy greatlyfor a long time to come.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I`m joining to rush of getting vintage Bandit and Cabochard. Mine are new - EDT and EDP (Bandit).
    They are quite good and true masculine - on paper strips.
    Bandit leaves in bathroom the smell of real macho... bottle is leaking a bit.

As for skin testing - Bandit gives a leather-resin-incense kick from the first minutes, then it goes from leather onto powdery-flowery region of leather district. And it stays...
    Vintage Bandit gives me herbal quality - wormwood or sage... slightly reminds me some Gobin-Daude scents...

Cabochard shares a lot with Knize Ten. Flowery bitter and dark leather chypre (Knize is more sunny and fresh frag). Like it much more than modern Bandit. I believe that`s because of powdery character of last.

Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    I can see the similarities because both share a prominent note--leather.

I love them both but was very disappointed in the strength of Cabochard and wish like crazy it came in an EDP.
    I notice that www.scentdirect.co.uk offer a parfum version of Cabochard

There was a woman, Calchic, who gave us this gift oof over 270 reviews of perfumes on or around 0ctober 1, 2005. She is the only one that mentions Cabochard and Bandit in one breath, and about the latter she says

: „.... I feel as though I just smell like a big old leather saddle that's had a few ashtrays dumped on it....“ : Reviews/Cabochard/ Calchic, 10-01-05

Yes, Cabochard also comes as a perfume and that is slightly different in character, as perfumes often are: Sweeter and softer. The word ‚smokey‘ does not even come to mind. The perfume can almost be called affordable: 100 $ approx., but it’s 7.5 ml only!

Unfortunately, Moondiva does not say whether she uses Bandit EDT (as I assume) or Bandit EDP, which many describe as the smokier one. If you want to be more confused and well entertained on Bandit go here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1123866081

I am glad Moonfish mentions Knize Ten. It really belongs here! And may I say that I love all of these now. Three equal peers plus the EDT/ EDP/ P nuances. A luxury I cannot afford with many scent families.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by narcus

Unfortunately, Moondiva does not say whether she uses Bandit EDT (as *I assume) or Bandit EDP, which many describe as the smokier one. If you want to be more confused and well entertained *on Bandit go here: *
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1123866081
    I actually have the EDP as I wanted the full on 'green leather smoke' effect - but got spiced leathery musk powder instead.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I have the new Bandit edp, and vintage cabochard edt (which is quite tenacious). For me the similarity is also unmistakenly there, but the biggest difference to my nose is the green notes of bandit. Cabochard is more powdery , and much dryer. Bandit also strikes me as a bit sweeter, but that might be because of the concentration I guess.

Basenotes Member

Bandit is Business Class

Cabochard - Super-economy ( but still with enough leg room)
    Possibly tone deaf..

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Bandit is Business Class

Cabochard - Super-economy ( but still with enough leg room)
    Interesting way of putting it.