Code of Conduct

Default Signature everyday? (Pondering GIT)

I'm relatively new to the fragrance world, and I had to join this site from some feedback in a cologne thread somewhere else. Anyway, I've been looking for a signature scent. In other words, something that is versatile enough to wear on a day to day basis. I'm not a complicated man, I currently have 3 colognes. Lacoste Essential which was good in hot weather. D&G The One, which is great but the longevity is sketchy. And YSL La Nuit, which was a recommended scent by some cologne enthusiast in the aforementioned forum; saying it is loved by the ladies, I like it but it's definitely an occasional scent for events.

I'm looking for a clean, fresh scent with exceptional longevity, which may garner some compliments, which also isn't effected too much by changing seasons (I live in New England).
    This search has been ongoing for a little while and I was recommended Green Irish Tweed. Like most people, I have never spent $130 on a bottle of cologne, pretty much everything has been $40-$80 but the reviews on it and the correlation with what I'm looking for seems so similar.
    I tried it at a designer perfume store today vs Cool Water, and like most people have said, they smell stunningly similar, while the latter is more synthetic. I love the smell, and it gave me some nostalgia of when I was a dumb kid in high school and cool water was my first cologne ever haha.

-That being said, would you guys recommend GIT as an everyday scent?
    -If not, which cologne would you recommend that fits this purpose?

Default Re: Signature everyday? (Pondering GIT)

GIT could definitely be used as an everyday scent IMO.

Many Creeds work well for daily wear: GIT, Silver Mountain Water, Original Vetiver, Himilaya. Most smell good to others & can definitely get there share of compliments. Longevity on most of these seems to be average to slightly above average, but I wouldn't say any are "exceptional".

If you want to check out some other "clean" & classy daily wears, check out Prada Amber pour homme & Infusion d'homme, Mugler Cologne, Gendarme & Gendarme 20. Also, I'd check out YSL's Rive Gauche, as it lasts all day on me & has a wonderful "barber-shop-esque" style, creamy-soapy dry down.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Agree with fit&frag'd, check out Mugler Cologne, Prada Amber Pour Homme, Green Irish Tweed, Dior Homme Sport, etc. But remember, sample before buying. Same money and a lot of disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Agree with fit&frag'd, check out Mugler Cologne, Prada Amber Pour Homme, Green Irish Tweed, Dior Homme Sport, etc. But remember, sample before buying. Same money and a lot of disappointment.
    Yep I had to pretty much go to every store that sold cologne before I find Creed, but I have a good idea of what GIT smells like now.

I probably should still order samples of some scents online but it's a hassle.

GIT is a safe scent to be a signature everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

GIT is a safe scent to be a signature everyday.

GIT is definitely versatile, wonderful, and good for a signature scent, but...
    I haven't seen a full bottle as cheap as $130, and the longevity isn't that great. Believe me, I wish it lasted longer. I have been trying to find a longer-lasting alternative myself, and I don't like the synthetic soap on Cool Water.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    GIT could definitely be used as an everyday scent IMO.
    +1 Though it is worth checking out Aventus in the Creed range as well.

Sound Scents

Certainly GIT would make a good choice for a signature scent... Then again, so would vintage Cool Water too for a lot less money if you are trying to keep costs down. I also can give a +1 to the Mugler Cologne recommendation... It is quite clean and fresh while staying very versatile.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    GIT is definitely versatile, wonderful, and good for a signature scent, but...
    I haven't seen a full bottle as cheap as $130, and the longevity isn't that great. Believe me, I wish it lasted longer. I have been trying to find a longer-lasting alternative myself, and I don't like the synthetic soap on Cool Water.
    I can get 4oz of GIT for $128 at fragrancenet. I could gotten it even cheaper at Walgreens, had I known about this months earlier.

and I will also check out Mugler cologne and Prada amber pour homme since it does look like it fits the clean fresh description. I've never heard of Mugler cologne though.

[QUOTE=EJBlue;2767956]I can get 4oz of GIT for $128 at fragrancenet. I could gotten it even cheaper at Walgreens, had I known about this months earlier.

Does Walgreens sell CREED???

[QUOTE=TR10;2768254]
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBlue View Post
    I can get 4oz of GIT for $128 at fragrancenet. I could gotten it even cheaper at Walgreens, had I known about this months earlier.

Does Walgreens sell CREED???
    Yes, on there website. Even Aventus.

I heard that people were buying GIT for <$125 with special deals. It's out of stock and a little too late lol.

That's both exciting and disappointing.

GIT is $119 on amazon right now, fulfilled by fragrancenet. I'm thinking I won't see a deal better than this.

GIT can work every day, but I have found that I'm less impressed with its performance in cooler weather. In warmer weather, it's fantastic.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

GIT would be a fine everyday fragrance, as it is a scent that is generally loved by all (i.e., if they are human, they will like it). That's what you want for a "signature scent".

Others that I think of in this (clean/fresh/everyday/) category include Creed Original Vetiver (or the cheaper Mugler cologne for nearly the same scent), Gucci Pour Homme II, Cereus #7, Creed Millesime Imperial, Creed Himalaya, Rive Gauche, Creed Pure White Cologne, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Cereus #4, Gendarme by Gendarme, and Ralph Lauren Purple Label.

The colognes above come in a variety of price ranges, but before buying any of them, get a sample and make sure you like it before investing in a large bottle.

I ended up buying the GIT for $119 from fragrancenet. I can't wait to get it. Thanks for all the help!