Code of Conduct

Default cdg Laurel review

yet another sample from luckyscent. tried it last night before bed...it basicly smells like a peppery herb...not peppery in the sense of black or pink pepper but peppery in the sense of mature arugula....this scent kind of remings me of a herb i would put on a pork roast......basicly it smells like LAUREL.....
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Default Re: cdg Laurel review

Quote Originally Posted by lanky View Post
    this scent kind of reminds me of a herb I would put on a pork roast
    Too funny!

Good point, peppery like argula. I also get a ground-pepper note, and definitely a very strong laurel/bay leaf note. I normally like dry herbal scents, but this one is too heavy and dense for me, it doesn't wear well and gets tiresome rather quickly on me.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

When I like Laurel, I really like Laurel; when I don't, I really don't. (Helpful, right? )
    Someone on here said it works exceptionally well in very hot weather. That seemed counter-intuitive, since it can feel so heavy; but I tried it last summer on a very hot day, and it's true! Maybe because they're creating something like you'd find in a very hot climate (Lebanon/Middle East). That "hot chiles work well in foods from hot climates" kind of thing. In any event, I found I liked it quite a lot the hotter it was outside.

Basenotes Institution

I loved it when I first smelled it - pepper is one of my favorite fragrance notes. However, I soon zeroed in on the Iso-e-Super that it contains (in large amounts) as soon as I apply it, and now I don't enjoy it with as much excitement. Some days, I want that vibe, but then again I own Bang by Marc Jacobs and basically that does the job nicely. For a more complex pepper I've been more drawn to Poivre 23 by Le Labo and my Very Favorite Pepper (that I don't have in my wardrobe anymore) Hermessence Poivre Samarcande by Hermes.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

I love the opening of this one, but not enough for the buy. Do have to say that I love Bang and Poivre Samarcande, and own those.

i tried this scent again today and it has been 5 hours since application. I must say i am enjoying this fragrance now and i can see how it might be a better scent in warmer weather.
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

I've heard several folks point out that Bois d'Orage (French Lover) is the better, and original, version of this fragrance. Not a fan of Bois d'Orage, though -- gets too stale-cigarette on me sadly. I haven't been excited by Laurel when I've sniffed it either.