Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like it

7 46.67%
  • No, I don't like it

2 13.33%
  • I am not sure

6 40.00%

Default Who likes Grossmith's Saffron Rose?

Wondering if you share your thoughts on what you think of Grossmith's new Saffron Rose?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Who likes Grossmith's Saffron Rose?

Too new of a fragrance to have in a poll like this, have not tried it yet, as well as many other people I suspect.

What do YOU think about it? Does it remind you of something else (L'Artisan, Keiko Mecheri, Rosine and Balmain La Mome come to mind, right off the bat)? Is it rich and in what way(s)? How are projection and longevity? Please tell us more, will you?

Haven't tried it yet, the line has just been introduced to the market!

Sounds amazing.

I didn't even know it was out.
    for swap/sale:

I'm looking forward to trying Saffron Rose, as well as Golden Chypre which is also intriguing, but I haven't seen them anywhere yet. I think Twolf's right in that they haven't been released long enough for many to have formed an opinion, but I'll be watching this thread with interest.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I haven't tried it either, but I am very curious about it. I adore Ormonde Jayne's rose-saffron scent, Ta'if and love the classic Grossmith scents. I hope it will live up to their classic line.

I'm in love with both Saffron Rose and Golden Chypre the best two of the pretty distinguished new Black Label line from Grossmith.

All the fragrances in the range have greater silage and longevity than some of the others from this house and to my mind have a richness and complexity that was perhaps previously missing in their new releases.

In terms of comparisons maybe Saffron Rose could be compared to Une Rose or even Carnal flower, though it is more retrained than both and has an indefatigable quality of a true or old rose to it.

Golden Chypre as the name announces is a take on a classic genre, whilst it has a certain amount of attack like all the best of this type, its a lighter less chemical approach than some may be used to and in that sense may appeal more to modern tastes. Alternatively you may find it a little to conventional and chypre-light if you're used to old timers such as Ma Griffe, vitage Miss Dior, Alliage, Knowing and so on.

Both definitely worth attention.

Wonderful fragrance, but I think it will be polarising. Very strong animalic leather, with Castoreum and Styrax in overload. The initial Saffron (little Rose) is soon overwhelmed by the Oriental Leather, and there is nothing wrong with that. BUT, it is a Grossmith fragrance and so it is not cheap. I think £250 for 50 mls. is a lot. Not sure if it it worth that much.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Wonderful fragrance, but I think it will be polarising. Very strong animalic leather, with Castoreum and Styrax in overload. The initial Saffron (little Rose) is soon overwhelmed by the Oriental Leather, and there is nothing wrong with that. BUT, it is a Grossmith fragrance and so it is not cheap. I think £250 for 50 mls. is a lot. Not sure if it it worth that much.
    I agree with the comments about this having a very animalic opening, but I found this waned on my skin and I was left with a lot of rose to match the oriental leather.

Equally I'm at one with the comments on price point. Whilst this is niche, for me it is marked too high as it lacks the complexity and, dare I say it, daring ingenuity of others at this end of the market.

Blog Entries

Have not tried this line yet.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quality ingredients but quite imperfect construction in the top notes (the rose smells strangely incomplete and empty) and never more than nice afterwards. Not worth the money IMO.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.