Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Lily: Un Lys vs Lys Méditerranée

I am looking for a lily fragrance that can be worn by males, especially in a hot/humid climate. It seems Serge Lutens and Frederic Malle have come up with two gorgeous scents. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to sample them yet as they are not available where I live.

Any advice - which one is 'better'?

Or if you have any other suggestions for lily fragrances, thank you so much
    * Most drawn to complex florals, chypres and orientals. Collect the best, forget the rest *

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lily: Un Lys vs Lys Méditerranée

These are both beautiful lily scents; hard to say which is "better", as they are quite different interpretations. Un Lys is sweeter, creamier & headier, whereas Lys Med is cooler, saltier & slightly greener. Of the two, l would say Lys Med is probably more wearable for a man.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I haven't smell Lys Méditerranée so I cannot give option on that. I do wear Un Lys for a couple of times from a sample though. To me it is not very remarkable, open with a realistic floral note (do not smell much like lily to my nose) then quickly dry down to a boring vanilla/clean musk. It does tip toward the feminine side though.

Blog Entries

Can you get Hermès Hermessence Vanille Galante​ where you live? It's basically ylang-ylang and lily.

BTW, if you can find a Penhaligon's boutique from where you live, give Lily & Spice a try. It smells just like lily (the pink one, not the white) and vanilla. I think it is more male friendly than Un Lys

I never pass up a chance to get an up close sniff of stargazers.
    lilies stargazers.jpg

I immediately associated Musc Ravageur with this smell. It was an obvious one and I made quick arrangements to buy a big bottle.

Oddly enough perhaps, only 1 reviewer in 151 made this same association (although I've no idea what type of lily that reviewer was thinking of). Here's the relevant part of Mr. tuffpup29's MR review:
    Received a sample of this in the post but think it must have bee wrongly labeled - I got the most gorgeous smell of one of my favorite flowers, Lilies. So think the must have actually sent me Lys Mediterranee. If not then I must have the weirdest nose...

If you have not already sampled MR in this regard, I believe you should.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 25th November 2012 at 06:49 PM.
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP 25%: Al Oudh, Azzaro pH, Basala, Bel Ami, Black Afgano, Blackbird, Blend 30, Bull's Blood, Chaps Original, Cuba, DK Men - Fuel, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Elsha 1776, Equipage, Eau d' Hermes, Egoiste Cologne Concentree, Fetish pH, Fougere Royal reissue, Genghis Khan, Green Water, Havana, Jules, Kiehl's Musk, Knize Ten, Kouros, L'Homme Sage, Leather Oud, Loewe pH, Monogram, Montecristo, Musc Ravageur, Olibanum, Perry Ellis for Men Original, Piper Nigrum, Polo, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Santalum, Sandalo (Villoresi), Tea for Two, Tribute Attar, Ungaro II, Versace l'homme, Yatagan, YSL pH
    Currently wearing: Cuba by Czech & Speake

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Club Aficionado by Jeanne Arthes

As others have said, Lys Mediterranee is definitely the freshest and more masculine of the two. It is a beautiful, realistic lily over a slightly salty, marine background. It does indeed have a mediterranean vibe. While it is not itself a marine, it does have some marine notes in the background, so you must be comfortable with them. But if you are, there's no better lily.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Thank you, all. Great suggestions! I will try to hunt down samples since it seems to be necessary to smell the fragrances.
    * Most drawn to complex florals, chypres and orientals. Collect the best, forget the rest *

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As others have said, Lys Mediterranee is definitely the freshest and more masculine of the two. It is a beautiful, realistic lily over a slightly salty, marine background. It does indeed have a mediterranean vibe. While it is not itself a marine, it does have some marine notes in the background, so you must be comfortable with them. But if you are, there's no better lily.

cacio
    I agree 100%.
    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson