Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1

    Default Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Hey guys,

    So i've managed to stumble upon a bottle of Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this and what sort of value does it hold?

    Cheers!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    If you're talking about the one with the red cap, frosted glass bottle, and black base... it's not rare at all.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    This is the one i'm referring to.

    http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/nd.274.jpg

  4. #4
    Basenotes Member Roby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Very rare in the UK.

    I managed to get hold of a sealed 100ml bottle on e-bay for £25 about 6 months but that was the only time I've ever seen one crop up on there.

    The seller had brought it back from the US following a holiday (it still had the JC Penney sticker on the box) and never opened it.

    How much did you pay for your bottle?

  5. #5
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,362

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Every now and then I see it pop up on Ebay.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    I actually see bottles of this for sale in fragrance shops. Surprised its rare where you live ( in the UK).

    I am wondering since I like Azzaro pour Homme, Rive Gauche pour Homme and Tuscany Uomo....if this would be a good buy for me.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

    Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

    More HERE
    Please PM me !

  7. #7

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    I loved Calvin in the 80's. I purchased a new bottle about four years ago, and it is nothing like the vintage version.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDBIII View Post
    I loved Calvin in the 80's. I purchased a new bottle about four years ago, and it is nothing like the vintage version.
    Wow, that is really a shame.

    Do you feel the "new" version is decent at all ? Is it still in the vein of other aromatic fougeres ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

    Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

    More HERE
    Please PM me !

  9. #9
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    You can easily get a bottle here in the US. One of my favorite Calvin Klein scents, it and Obsession For Men are classics and were never really outdone by any other scent in the CK line, IMO.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

    You begin to awaken"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  10. #10
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Hi Surfacing -

    Don't hesitate - this is exceptional and the first male fragrance bottled by Calvin Klein in 1981, as well as the best! Only Original Obsession for Men and Eternity can hold candles to it, but this is the best composition. A Woody Floral Musk by categorization that has a Woody Chypre feel - and I am so thankful to have Original Vintage "Cologne". I wrote a review on Fragrantica, which I cut-and-pasted here:

    "I feel the sheer warmth, brilliance and genuine taste in Calvin. 1981 - over 30 years ago, before the mass-marketed stuff came. Some of those became what I "grew-up" with and this brilliant bottle was unknown to me for many years. What a beautiful revelation!!! I concur with the wonderful reviews here - ObsessionForMen, Krmarich, and avonman. I adore the composition. Although, I get a chypre vibe as well, this is a brilliant, masculine and warm Woody Floral Musk/Chypre composition that incorporates gorgeous florals (including the key note of chamomile) and herbs combined with brilliant use of green and damp patchouli and vetiver (just slightly dirty). There is no composition like it. It uses musk (mostly clean) to radiate the aroma. What is amazing is just how long (and strong) the integrated florals and herbs emanate from this scent! It has a slightly soapy vibe - not a bar of French-milled soap, but the actual lather it creates. A gorgeous, "sudsy" feel that makes one wonder just how this was done. The sandalwood is creamy giving a base with the vetiver and musk that oozes class and a very suave feeling. As comforting as it is, Calvin is also a very serious scent that could be worn by a CEO.

    I don't know where the world of fragrance would be without the house of Calvin Klein and what followed...but, I do know (after getting this 100ml Original Vintage bottle) just HOW good Calvin was in its earliest days. If you like classic chypres, fougeres and masculine florals with an aire of sophistication, you must try this magnificent juice.

    I will not give a numerical score to something of such brilliance and historical value. But, I will leave it with this - I adore it. Classic and the epitome of beauty in male fragrance. Put this on at a dinner party and have every guest try to figure out the "house" this came from...no one would ever guess Calvin Klein, unless they were lucky enough to have experienced it."

    This is a great fragrance - I sold a bottle to a fellow Basenoter here that is someone with great taste and admiration for this timeless classic. It was hard to let go.

    Cheers,

    ericrico


    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I actually see bottles of this for sale in fragrance shops. Surprised its rare where you live ( in the UK).

    I am wondering since I like Azzaro pour Homme, Rive Gauche pour Homme and Tuscany Uomo....if this would be a good buy for me.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  11. #11

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    You can easily get a bottle here in the US. One of my favorite Calvin Klein scents, it and Obsession For Men are classics and were never really outdone by any other scent in the CK line, IMO.

    It's really easy to get here? Like, where? I'd love a bottle.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Hi Surfacing -

    Don't hesitate - this is exceptional and the first male fragrance bottled by Calvin Klein in 1981, as well as the best! ...
    Ericrico,

    Thanks so much for that awesome review ! Much appreciated. I am sure the original Calvin was spectacularly well made.

    Do you feel that the re-release from the late 90s was just as well done ? I don't mind blind buys, but sometimes reformulations don't always work out.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

    Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

    More HERE
    Please PM me !

  13. #13
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    It's really easy to get here? Like, where? I'd love a bottle.
    Strifeknot is selling a mini here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/316...-new-atomizers

    Petruccicj is swapping a 100 ml bottle here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/316...-new-atomizers

    Amazon is selling some here: http://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-T.../dp/B000XE76RI

    Beauty Encounter has a mini for sale here: http://www.beautyencounter.com/buy/c...11089/235448/0

    Two are on eBay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-CALVIN-by-...-/261101361802 and here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CALVIN-By-CA...-/110794600310 and there are more on eBay I just didn't list them all.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

    You begin to awaken"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  14. #14
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Hi Surfacing -

    I hope this finds you well, my friend. Thank you for the compliment!

    The re-release, by all accounts (including JDBIII above, I believe he is referring to that) is not nearly as good. I, personally, have never tried it. ALL of my Original Calvin bottles are the Vintage "Cologne" bottlings, as shown in one of the links provided by mikeperez23 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-CALVIN-by-...361802?afsrc=1

    Notice the bottom of the box, as it is stated, "Cologne Spray". The newer packaging concerns me some - that perhaps some Ebay sellers are actually selling th 1999 re-issued juice that is supposedly inferior.

    A word to the wise - get the Original juice.

    Cheers.

    ericrico


    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Ericrico,

    Thanks so much for that awesome review ! Much appreciated. I am sure the original Calvin was spectacularly well made.

    Do you feel that the re-release from the late 90s was just as well done ? I don't mind blind buys, but sometimes reformulations don't always work out.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  15. #15

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Hi Surfacing -

    I hope this finds you well, my friend. Thank you for the compliment!

    The re-release, by all accounts (including JDBIII above, I believe he is referring to that) is not nearly as good. I, personally, have never tried it. ALL of my Original Calvin bottles are the Vintage "Cologne" bottlings, as shown in one of the links provided by mikeperez23 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-CALVIN-by-...361802?afsrc=1

    Notice the bottom of the box, as it is stated, "Cologne Spray". The newer packaging concerns me some - that perhaps some Ebay sellers are actually selling th 1999 re-issued juice that is supposedly inferior.

    A word to the wise - get the Original juice.

    Cheers.

    ericrico
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try to seek an older bottle out.

    I suppose Cologne here is just used as a slang term ? I have seen this listed as an Eau de Cologne, so I wonder if some vendors have mistaken it for that.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

    Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

    More HERE
    Please PM me !

  16. #16
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Ironically, Original Calvin Klein men's fragrances were originally bottled as "Cologne" or Cologne for Men", just like the benchmark Oriental male scent of the mid-80's, Obsession for Men. Original bottles were labeled as Cologne - here is a print ad from 1992, even. I am still trying to confirm if the earliest release of Eternity (in 1989) was labeled as "Cologne" or "Eau de Toilette". If anyone knows, please chime in...

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Calvin-...item2572ab6724

    Bottom line - there is no Eau de Cologne of Calvin by Calvin Klein. Just the Original Cologne bottling and then later, Eau de Toilette. If the Obsession print ad was in 1992, as indicated and the bottle is still showing "Cologne", not "Eau de Toilette", and Calvin was discontinued in 1990...then there is a logical and plausible argument that only the re-released bottles in 1999 say "Eau de Toilette". However, I cannot confirm this.

    I did purchase (before Fall arrived) a wonderful, nearly-full Original Vintage Splash bottle of Obsession for Men "Cologne" (4oz). It is absolutely wonderful - warm, rich, deep and very cozy. Long-lasting and one of the most classic scents for chilly Fall & Winter evenings. Sensual juice. I sprayed (from a 15ml mini, recent EdT of Obsession for Men) the current juice next to it. It is not even close in depth or richness of notes...thin and rather weak. The Vintage juice will stay on you overnight.

    My advice is to find the Original/Vintage formulations of both of these scents. Otherwise, it is a shot in the dark guess...and, the seller can still sell it as "Vintage", because it was limited re-release for a short period of time (and rather rare).

    Cheers,

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try to seek an older bottle out.

    I suppose Cologne here is just used as a slang term ? I have seen this listed as an Eau de Cologne, so I wonder if some vendors have mistaken it for that.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  17. #17

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    When I heard about all the complications of finding true vintage of this, along with what it supposedly smelled like, I didn't bother trying to figure out which bottle was which. I've got so much vintage right now I think all the bases are covered, so to speak, though I still grab one that I don't have and am interested in if the price isn't crazy.

  18. #18
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    I have smelled the 'new' Eau de Toilette and it smells GREAT! The last time I smelled the Cologne was when I wore it as a teen, back in the 80's. I have not compared them side-by-side.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

    You begin to awaken"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  19. #19

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    I own both the original cologne version and also the later EDT version of Calvin. My bottle of the EDT, while not as old as the cologne, is an older one.

    The EDT version isn't bad, but is inferior to the cologne version. The cologne is noticeably soft, smooth, floral, sweetly soapy, musky, and subtly woody where the EDT is distinctly sharper, drier, and more herbal overall. I wouldn't call the EDT harsh, but it lacks the intoxicating sensuousness of the cologne, which seems better balanced and more sophisticated.

    I strongly recommend seeking out the original cologne over the EDT.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Strifeknot is selling a mini here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/316...-new-atomizers

    Petruccicj is swapping a 100 ml bottle here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/316...-new-atomizers

    Amazon is selling some here: http://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-T.../dp/B000XE76RI

    Beauty Encounter has a mini for sale here: http://www.beautyencounter.com/buy/c...11089/235448/0

    Two are on eBay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-CALVIN-by-...-/261101361802 and here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CALVIN-By-CA...-/110794600310 and there are more on eBay I just didn't list them all.
    Thanks, Mike!

  21. #21
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Hello noggs -

    Well stated, my friend. I think you, very clearly, articulated what the key difference is. In short - that is why I sought out the Original Cologne bottlings only.

    Great contribution to this thread!

    Cheers.

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I own both the original cologne version and also the later EDT version of Calvin. My bottle of the EDT, while not as old as the cologne, is an older one.

    The EDT version isn't bad, but is inferior to the cologne version. The cologne is noticeably soft, smooth, floral, sweetly soapy, musky, and subtly woody where the EDT is distinctly sharper, drier, and more herbal overall. I wouldn't call the EDT harsh, but it lacks the intoxicating sensuousness of the cologne, which seems better balanced and more sophisticated.

    I strongly recommend seeking out the original cologne over the EDT.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  22. #22

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    .....My advice is to find the Original/Vintage formulations of both of these scents. Otherwise, it is a shot in the dark guess...and, the seller can still sell it as "Vintage", because it was limited re-release for a short period of time (and rather rare).

    Cheers,

    ericrico
    Your assistance is much appreciated. Hope I enjoy this. I may order a decant first and then go full bottle. Either way, I will soon test this one out and come back here with my impressions.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

    Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

    More HERE
    Please PM me !

  23. #23
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Surfacing -

    Always a pleasure, my friend. Looking forward to hearing back from you...

    Cheers!

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Your assistance is much appreciated. Hope I enjoy this. I may order a decant first and then go full bottle. Either way, I will soon test this one out and come back here with my impressions.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  24. #24
    Dependent heperd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    4,808

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    I bought a couple of minis from a shop that has dozens of them and found it to be very similar to Azzaro pour Homme.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    I feel like ericrico has been transported from another era into an internet forum. His politeness is unprecedented.

  26. #26
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Wow, Made in California -

    I don't know how to quite respond to such kindness, except...humbly offer my sincere gratitude. This forum is a wonderful place for us to share in olfactory art - it is subjective to us all. I feel a great connection with so many people here.

    By the way, I too, am "Made in California".

    Take care and welcome to Basenotes - looking forward to hearing from you in the future.

    Cheers.

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by Made in California View Post
    I feel like ericrico has been transported from another era into an internet forum. His politeness is unprecedented.
    - - - Updated - - -

    Hello heperd -

    Interesting association. I have tried to find a composition that I can say, honestly, is similar to Original Calvin Cologne for Men. I cannot.

    There are notes that one could pull out - but it is the sum of the parts that make this composition such a wonderful "whole". Azzaro Pour Homme's notorious anise top note and rich Aromatic Fougere base make it a radiant, "aura" scent. While Calvin wears similarly, there is no anise and the composition is definitely a Woody Floral Musk with a Chypre-feel. Again, its uniqueness is part of its allure.

    I, by the way, truly admire Vintage Azzaro Pour Homme...and respect your contributions here on Basenotes. But, honestly, I cannot associate the two fragrances with each other.

    Cheers, my friend.

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I bought a couple of minis from a shop that has dozens of them and found it to be very similar to Azzaro pour Homme.
    Last edited by ericrico; 3rd December 2012 at 05:38 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  27. #27
    Dependent heperd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    4,808

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    I wish I could find the mini that I have so I could compare again. I think it might have been the missing anise that made me describe it as sort of a "softer" version of Azzaro. Keep in mind that my comparisons are very general.

    Also, I will have to admit that I posted that mostly to see how you (Ericrico) would break down the differences in the two fragrances with such detail and eloquence. I love your contributions and your knowledge of great vintage frags.

  28. #28
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Thank you, as well, for the very kind words heperd.

    I am humbled. It is unfortunate that so little of this precious juice is in existence. Original Calvin Cologne for Men (1981) is truly special, for those who know. I wish you the best in your search.

    Cheers.

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I wish I could find the mini that I have so I could compare again. I think it might have been the missing anise that made me describe it as sort of a "softer" version of Azzaro. Keep in mind that my comparisons are very general.

    Also, I will have to admit that I posted that mostly to see how you (Ericrico) would break down the differences in the two fragrances with such detail and eloquence. I love your contributions and your knowledge of great vintage frags.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  29. #29

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    I've always been curious about this one, just not curious enough to do any extensive searches. With the information here I shouldn't have any problem tracking a bottle down should I decide to do so.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

  30. #30
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Hi Profumo Saggio -

    It does exist out there...good luck in finding an Original Vintage "Cologne" bottle, if you so decide to do so.

    By the way, I couldn't help but notice your list of "Current Favorites"...we definitely have a lot of commonality in taste and mutual admiration for the house of Caron as well as other specific bottles (Gucci Nobile, Vintage Kouros, Vintage Xeryus and even London for Men around this time of year - very nice indeed)!

    Cheers.

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by Profumo Saggio View Post
    I've always been curious about this one, just not curious enough to do any extensive searches. With the information here I shouldn't have any problem tracking a bottle down should I decide to do so.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  31. #31
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Gosh now I want a vintage bottle... LOL
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

    You begin to awaken"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  32. #32

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    I believe I had a body talc "spray" version of this as a senior in high school. At least it was a spray that was more like a powder, went on feeling cool/cold because of the can pressurization (think of those air-duster cans you use on computers). I bought a tester when it was available again about a decade ago (I believe it was manufactured in the late 90's) and, as far as I can recall, the older version was a bit brighter and airier, though it's hard to compare a body talc to edt. I do recall the talc was amazing whereas I'd rate the edt as very good - not quite the same.
    The Bark Bites Back.

  33. #33
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Calvin Klein always did those wacky body products for their masculine releases back in the day...like that Obsession for Men Hair Spray, which I used to own. That spray body talc scented with Calvin sounds fantastic.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

    You begin to awaken"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  34. #34

    Exclamation Re: Calvin by Calvin Klein...just how rare is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by mervin View Post
    hey guys,

    so i've managed to stumble upon a bottle of calvin by calvin klein...just how rare is this and what sort of value does it hold?

    Cheers!
    Go Vikings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Calvin by Calvin Klein 1981 release... what are your thoughts on it?
    By change1 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28th May 2014, 01:43 AM
  2. Impressions of Calvin by Calvin Klein
    By BradW in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14th August 2010, 04:35 PM
  3. Youtube Review Thread #35 : Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein (Oct. 2nd)
    By Robes08 in forum Member blogs and websites
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th October 2009, 07:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •