Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The best thing I heard an SA say...

This thread can be a satire or serious.

It can be the greatest thing an SA will say, such as "The discount sale won't start until tomorrow, but I will give you the sale price today and throw in the gift with purchase."

The thread can also be a laugh-riot.

This is my laugh riot.

I was interested in the new launch of the new "O" orange blossom (orange and jasmine) scent by Lancome, but it was displayed with recent O d'Azur and the original O de Lancome. I asked about the scents and how they differed from the other.

Answer: (confused stare at the bottles) "Oh, they are all the same but different."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    This thread can be a satire or serious.

It can be the greatest thing an SA will say, such as "The discount sale won't start until tomorrow, but I will give you the sale price today and throw in the gift with purchase."

The thread can also be a laugh-riot.

This is my laugh riot.

I was interested in the new launch of the new "O" orange blossom (orange and jasmine) scent by Lancome, but it was displayed with recent O d'Azur and the original O de Lancome. I asked about the scents and how they differed from the other.

Answer: (confused stare at the bottles) "Oh, they are all the same but different."
    SAs are generally not the brightest or most knowledgeable creatures in my experience. The exception has been in some independent stores selling mostly niche.

Even though I'm sure they're just trying to make a sale, I really like it when a SA asks me what I already own and then compliments my collection. "Oh, I really like that one!" Something to that effect. It's the typical feel-good response to being compliemnted I suppose. Call me simple or naive, but it gives me a smile.

I always get a chuckle when the SA asks me if I've ever smelled Acqua Di Gio and hands me a sample card.

I was in a smaller branch of our local Large Department Store the other day - there are a few SAs at the downtown flagship that are pretty good, but apparently not at the branches, where the selection is pretty small as well. I was buying something and she asked me if I wanted any samples, so I figured, what the heck, I'll give Womanity a try, the bottle is cool and I enjoyed Katie Puckrick's review. She said that was a very unusual fragrance. I said, "What else do you recommend that's kind of unusual, off the beaten path," and she just stood there like a deer in the headlights for about 30 seconds before she admitted she couldn't think of anything. This probably was an accurate reflection of the small selection at the branch store, but if she wanted to make a sale she could have at least tried to make something up.

My biggest laugh to date is my asking for Prada's Infusion d'Iris.

The SA shook her head, saying they did not carry that one, but lead me over to the mint-green boxes and said, "We have Prada Milano." ROTFL!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Browsing the counter at one of the larger local department stores. There were many Chanel's but they did not appear to have any of the exclusifs. I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask anyway. SA said "may I help you?". I replied "I'm looking for Chanel Sycomore, I don't suppose you have it?" After a brief pause she said she had was not familiar with that name but "you probably mean ""Syc-amoua""!
    "There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

Basenotes Plus

The SA shook her head, saying they did not carry that one, but lead me over to the mint-green boxes and said, "We have Prada Milano." ROTFL!
    The same exact thing happened to me, at which point I offered to give the young lady a friendly lesson on how to read a perfume box.
    OK..... this part shows the Brand name...this section shows where the company is located....this is the name of the scent...this says the strength.....yada yada She actually thanked me and furthermore, asked me how to correctly produced the word Guerlain. LOL!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

European based online store SA by phone:

"Your VISA payment has been already gone through but we have just realised we do not have the 50ml of (XXX)? in stock so I hope you don't mind if we give you a 100ml bottle?"

One of the better ones

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    European based online store SA by phone:

"Your VISA payment has been already gone through but we have just realised we do not have the 50ml of (XXX)? in stock so I hope you don't mind if we give you a 100ml bottle?"

One of the better ones
    Wow! That is wonderful, reasonable. I recall years ago we were bumped from our seats on a flight. The airline then offered us two more seats--in first class!

knit, I think you did the right thing. I was already having a problem with this SA playing dumb and not wanting to make me any decants, no doubt that would mean getting a bunch of perfume on her hands. I let her wallow in her ignorance.

daccpa, I think the funniest thing I heard an SA say was "grrrr-lon" for Guerlain. Another time it was "gair-lane."

The funniest thing I heard an SA say was, at the original headquarters of Knize in Vienna, when I wanted to buy Knize Ten, the SA told me "Yes, it is a great fragrance, but I would not recommend it to you, this might be a little to mature for your age" (I was about 22-23 back then)

I've been told from an SA that MKK is a clean musc, Civet is a bird, Yatagan has no animalic notes in the pyramid then she showed me Black Aoud sprayed boatloads of it on her body (like 15 spritz OMG) and told me that she didn't get the rose note out of it.

I couldn't breathe....
    Last edited by alfarom; 25th May 2011 at 01:25 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

A Sephora SA told me that Lolita Lempika was "too young" for me. grrrrrrrrr

Or the SA who responded "Oh we don't sell THAT!" as if I were asking for poop. I asked if they sold Serge Lutens.

Stupid head.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

A SA at Bloomingdales shouted out last year during the Christmas season, "Free samples now at the men's fragrance counter. Stop by and fill up"

Hillaire

An SA at Nordstrom pompously informed me that Armani Prives were "SO AMAZING" and the "couture of perfumes". I replied, "I think a think a better analogy might be to pret a porter, since they are mass marketed and not custom made."
    She gave me the most petulant nauseated look ever! It was actually quite funny.

I find it better, usually, if I don't actually speak to anyone at perfume counters.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I've been told from an SA that MKK is a clean musc, Civet is a bird, Yatagan has no animalic notes in the pyramid then she showed me Black Aoud sprayed boatloads of it on her body (like 15 spritz OMG) and told me that she didn't get the rose note out of it.

I couldn't breathe....
    ROTFL, alfarom! I'd like to see a civet fly. Maybe it's like the bat...a flying rodent. Perhaps the English Flying Civet, indigenous to the northern climes of Yorkshire? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    The funniest thing I heard an SA say was, at the original headquarters of Knize in Vienna, when I wanted to buy Knize Ten, the SA told me "Yes, it is a great fragrance, but I would not recommend it to you, this might be a little to mature for your age" (I was about 22-23 back then)
    Ken, I dislike it when someone says I can't wear something by gender or age. It's not their business.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    A Sephora SA told me that Lolita Lempika was "too young" for me. grrrrrrrrr

Or the SA who responded "Oh we don't sell THAT!" as if I were asking for poop. I asked if they sold Serge Lutens.

Stupid head.
    RHM, what a slap in the face! How dare she?! As you might be too old to wear the scent (in her narrow opinion), she is certainly much too stupid to work in retail...

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    A SA at Bloomingdales shouted out last year during the Christmas season, "Free samples now at the men's fragrance counter. Stop by and fill up"
    LOL! Hednic, that would surely get my attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    An SA at Nordstrom pompously informed me that Armani Prives were "SO AMAZING" and the "couture of perfumes". I replied, "I think a think a better analogy might be to pret a porter, since they are mass marketed and not custom made."
    She gave me the most petulant nauseated look ever! It was actually quite funny.

I find it better, usually, if I don't actually speak to anyone at perfume counters.
    Hillaire, I don't think the average clerk knows ready-to-wear, let alone pret-a-porter...or off-the-peg. I think your attitude is a good one to adopt. The less nuisance for those of us who are informed.
    Last edited by Primrose; 25th May 2011 at 08:54 PM.

Months ago one of the biggest fragrance and cosmetics distributors in Argentina reopened a very traditional perfume store, originally owned by a family company that went bankrupt. Since it is the most important perfume store in the city, they carry the only three niche brands imported to the country, Bond, Creed and Annick Goutal.

Following a suggestion by a Base Noter friend, I went there in order to try some Goutals. When I asked about them, the SA told me they did not sell them. She was overheard by another SA, looked at her with a face and told me they carried them... to no avail, no testers were available. She offered me to try some Creeds, I asked for Millesime Imperial, and she got hold of a bottle looking like one of the female lines: I did not feel like discussing, so I let her do the usual talking. Since I found it quite feminine, I told her I was looking for an aromatic fougere or for an oriental, again, to no avail: she just played safe and offered me Bond's Great Jones, which I realized it was a GIT / Cool Water smell-alike.

The price for these kind of scents are, on average, 30 to 50 % more expensive than in the USA, add to this the fact that the local purchasing power is not that of a developed country, plus the fact that the distribution of incomes is not as bad as in the rest of Latin American countries - thus, the market for luxury goods is quite limited, contrary to what happens in countries were income distribution is unequal: now, how on earth will they possibly sell such goods if sales attendants are briefed so badly?
    Last edited by Pollux; 26th May 2011 at 12:41 AM.

As I reached for the tester of Diorissimo at Saks "That's the latest Dior".

Quote Originally Posted by HazelMae View Post
    As I reached for the tester of Diorissimo at Saks "That's the latest Dior".
    ROTL! yes, it was released yesterday! You didn't know???

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'll play it straight:

The best thing I heard an SA say is "I'll give you 30% off" for their last bottle of L'Artisan FdO. Their store had discontinued carrying the entire line and they didn't want to bother to ship it back.

DeepSilence

I wanted to buy a fragrance, and the box was not open and there was not a tester:

I : can i test it?
    He: If you buy it, i'll open it!

No kidding. really it happend for me

I asked an SA for L'Heure Bleue & she said "I've never heard of it, it's probably been discontinued" ! We then moved on to the Chanel counter & she followed. My son picked up a tester of Pour monsieur. She took it off him before he could spray it & said "that's too mature for you" & returned it to the shelf !

We were not amused :-)

at the Guerlain counter in KLCC, Malaysia

me: *pointing at Shalimar* Can I test these?
    SA: But thats for the ladies.
    me: I'm testing it for my friend
    SA: But that's a very old lady perfume. perhaps i would recommend this? *points to insolence*

LOL. I almost lost my "hi im a perfume idiot please educate me" pokerface look and almost laughed.
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

A funny SA at a famous fragrance shop line in Spain once made me a description of Terre...

A couple of days later, she described Rocabar with the same exact words.

Are rocabar and terre the same or is she going nuts?

At El Corte Inglés in Spain (one of the bigges departmen stores chain here) it's quite difficult to buy Habit Rouge.

SA: are you looking for something?
    Me: yeah, Habit Rouge by Guerlain...
    SA: emmm but there are other choices you should try
    Me: i want habit rouge...
    SA: but that's an old man fragrance and doesn't go well with you age and looks, have you tried the new Boss Orange?
    Me: O_o

In an Old Parfumerie in Seville (Reina it's called)

SA: are you looking for something?
    Me: yes, how much is Coco EDP?
    SA: ohhh great choice, it's a perfect parfum for a women
    Me: emmm yeah, i want it for me and my mum...
    SA: (strange look) ah, interesting... some parfums can be shared, it's funny...
    Me: yeah, i love nº19 too, i'm using it.
    SA: but there's not Nº19 for men...
    Me: I tell you i'm using it right now...
    SA: but there's not...
    Me: i'm using the one you have right there (pointing at a nº 19 box, which happens to not show any "for woman" or "for men" logo)

Priceless

A Guerlain SA at the biggest department store here told me that Chant D'Aromes wasn't a Guerlain "you must be wrong".

I googled for it and there it was, i doubt but it was a Guerlain. I went and told her, by that time she had already realised her mistake but told me that they didn't carry it, it was "exclusive" now .

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I was greeted very warmly one afternoon by a smiling, well-dressed & stunningly pretty young lady at my favorite fragrance store. Apart from a couple of browsers who were attended to by another SA, the store was practically deserted.

"Good afternoon, Mr (my name). It's so good to see you again." A hug and a quick air-kiss followed.

"Feel free to smell anything you like and take as long as you wish. I'll be here if you need help with anything. Anything at all." She added the last part with a mischievous twinkle in her eye.

Her voice then dropped to a conspiratorial whisper and I had to lean in closer to catch what she was trying to saying. (Oh my, she smelled so divine...).

"Do keep this between us - since you happen to be my no. 1, most favorite customer, I'll let you have the staff discount on any purchase and give you a free gift of any 15 fragrance samples of your choice. Plus, a full refund if you wish to return a purchase you didn't enjoy."

.........the %#&** alarm clock had to ring then.

What a wonderful dream, Diamondflame!

Yeah, talking to an SA is a complete and utter waste of time for anyone but the greenest neophyte or the most utterly indifferent shopper. Thank god for Sephora.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Yeah, talking to an SA is a complete and utter waste of time for anyone but the greenest neophyte or the most utterly indifferent shopper. Thank god for Sephora.
    Not so! It really depends. My last 'fume shopping in an actual shop experience was in Barneys (in Las Vegas, thank you, I'm not that fancy) and of the two clerks on duty, one was lovely, helpful, and quite well-informed - we chatted a while, she made me a sample of something absurdly expensive, and she really seemed into the sheer fun of smelling things. The other had literally no idea what a "green floral" could possibly be. When he asked my husband what he liked, and hubby responded with a well-known Tom Ford, he'd never heard of that either. But he WAS awfully nice, and he trotted off somewhere, actually LOOKED UP what that one smelled like and ran it by the other clerk to see what they had that might be similar. And actually found something.

Likewise, at a much more downmarket scent and soap and so on place, closer to home, I breezed in five minutes before closing (mall on a Sunday, I forgot it would close that early) and expected the nice girl who came up to me to politely say that they were cleaning up and maybe I could come back tomorrow. Instead she asked if I needed any help, came back even after I said no when I couldn't FIND what I wanted , dismantled an elaborate display to get what turned out to be the last bottle in the store for me, and told me that if I mentioned it to the girl on the register, I could have a free matching lotion. I ended up calling the company offices to tell them how awesome she was.

And even the cheapest possible places can have good service. The most amazing perfume clerk I've ever run into is one of a pair of, I think, brothers who run a booth at the local swap meet. I won't try to replicate his English, but the dude KNOWS. At one point I asked to sample something he had, and he looked at it, looked at me, and said no, you won't like it. I insisted, he grinned, handed it over, and guess what? I hated it. Then he pointed out a different one which looked exactly like something I would hate. Not half bad! And from listening to his conversations with other customers, he keeps good enough tabs on what the big designers are putting out that he can make recommendations to the folks who want the brand new ones and don't understand that those are not likely to be swap meet material just yet. If I ran some swanky department store I'd ditch the vague, chic young ladies we tend to have around here and hire this guy. Plastic table and all.
    Last edited by blkbrd; 1st June 2011 at 03:54 AM.

As I understand it, the SA job is not a skilled one. Meaning they hire and fire people as neccessary. And a lot of SA's find better jobs and leave or more within the department store to other sections like shoes or clothes because the commission is obviously higher there.
    So a lot of the SAs will only know whether the perfume is woody, fresh, floral or spicy. Which wood did you say? Ahhhh woody. What flowers? Mmm the usual flowers.
    Time to pull out my iphone/ipad.

Also, they only send committed SAs to training seminars and I think you need to exert way too much effort in the job to be able to qualify for the training sessions, than the salary is worth.

for swap/sale:

Cool, good to hear that someone is having good experiences with SAs. Watch out for booths at swap meets and so forth, a lot of the time they sell counterfeits.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Civet is a bird
    Gaa! It's a good thing I wasn't sipping any coffee when I read that.

I've had good and bad experiences with SAs. I think I chronicled some bad ones on older threads.

But, I do want to put in a good experience with a SA in one of the San Diego malls that I visited. I believe it was in the Nordstrom's, that's across from the Neiman Marcus. I was perusing and as I approached the counter with the register, one of the sales ladies smiled at me and asked if she could help. I told her I was browsing because I'd not seen so many scents in one place before. (I am from the boondocks, you see.)

She actually asked me a coupla notes that I like, and suggested a couple. And I tried one of them and liked it, and she said, "Give yourself some time to decide. Do you want to take a sample home?" Me? OF COURSE! Anyway, she made like 2-3 samples, one of which was the "parfum" which actually wasn't on the shelves, but she got from the back room.

I got my Le Jardin from there, by the way. Everyone I met at that place was fantabulous. Seriously. There was a helpful SA in the men's section too.
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

How cool would it be to have a real perfume nerd for an SA?

I spoke briefly with an SA at the Art with Flowers store in Tyson's Galleria in Northern Virginia. I am guessing they know a few things based on the wide selection of niche perfumes. They don't harass you in that store, just greet you once and let you sniff in peace to your heart's content. I'm not a shill, I promise! I also had a super nice SA at Sephora this weekend, who whipped me up a sample right on the spot. Such a nice experience as opposed to being hunted like an animal at the department store counter.

I've also had good experiences at Saks/Neiman's in spite of the Saks SA who thought Diorissimo came out last week, esp. the Neiman's in Bethesda.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Cool, good to hear that someone is having good experiences with SAs. Watch out for booths at swap meets and so forth, a lot of the time they sell counterfeits.
    Oh, I'm sure. Though what makes me doubt it in this case is the volume of stuff they have that I don't think anyone would BOTHER to counterfeit. Tea Rose Ambre?

Blog Entries

I was trying Flower Bomb at Dillard's. The SA said "This will give 16 hours of wear" (That's what I'm afraid of).
    And this, "There's a thousand flowers in every bottle."
    I looked it up, apparently, the '1000 flowers' bit is their advertising slogan.
    Just for the record, my experience with this frag left me (and my husband) with the overwhelming impression that we had been run over by a truck of baby power.

Haha, I was told that one too..the thousand flowers thing, I just went along with it, 'really? wow, quite the scent'. lol.

Civet, a bird? Really?
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I was in a Macy's, looking for a sample of M7 Oud Absolu, and the SA, who later identified herself as a regional YSL sales rep told me she had never heard of it, so I asked if she remembered M7 and she told me she had been a YSL rep for over 15 years and had never heard of that either and it couldn't be a YSL product!

At Estee Lauder counter, 'May I sniff Cinnabar?' 'What's that?'
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

The best thing I heard a SA say was "Here's some free samples".
    Last edited by sjg3839; 4th February 2014 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HazelMae View Post
    How cool would it be to have a real perfume nerd for an SA?
    99% of the time you'd be dealing with a customer base who doesn't care what most of your stuff smells like and just wants an alternative to Acqua Di Gio. Wow, this Green Irish Tweed is really nice, it reminds me of that Cool Water cologne!

The other 1% of the time you'd probably get challenged by passive-aggressive Basenoters who would hate your recommendations, saying your Creeds are overpriced, your Musc Koublai Khan is awful poop-smelling and outdated, the sandalwood in your recommendation of Tam Dao is shit because it's not Mysore, I don't care about the new Guerlain because I already got a sample from SurrenderToChance and it was awful and I threw it away thank-you-very-much, and your tastes are shit, because nobody is right except for them. Then you'd get to come here and read their complaints about you here.

I'm waiting for an 'out' S.A. to start a thread about customers

You smell sexy with that perfume :P

hmmm, what a great idea - the best thing I heard from a customer looking for a fragrance

"Would you like a sample?" Nordstrom. "Oh, certainly. Let me find a spray vial for you." Sephora.

I was testing Lancome Midnight Rose a few days ago, and the SA asked what I thought of it. I said that I liked the raspberry note and she laughed and said that there was no raspberry, just some kind of exotic flower that she didn't know the name of, but DEFINITELY no raspberry. I walked away from the counter....

I generally try to avoid perfume counters. If I do step in there it's a fast in and out. If the stay is longer it's because I might want a quick flirt with the woman. But I usually don't feel inspired to do that. The Perfume House is excellent and close by but I rarely go there either.

I guess the main thing an SA might have said was, "I need to go home but I need to sell something first. I'll bl_w you if you buy a bottle." But that probably isn't true.

Basenotes Plus

Floater SA/rep at Saks a year and some months ago: Have you tried the new Prada for men? *hands me a blotter*
    Me: Oh, is this Luna Rossa? I haven't yet, no.
    SA: No, it's called something like... *asks SA behind counter* what is the Prada Called?
    SA #2: Let me see... *pulls bottle out* Luna Rossa?
    SA #1: it's Luna Rossa, sir. Very nice, no?
    Me: Thanks.

I can safely say the only place I've ever been able to speak to a SA comfortably about fragrance is Les Senteurs. They have the worst web ordering service in human history, but their staff really are friendly and can help you choose a scent for hours.

I wouldn't dare talk to a SA in any other shop if my life depended on it. Some of them really have no idea about scents.

Phone call: "Hello Mr. Buzier. I'm Ms. Nice, from the Guerlain Shop you've bought from in the past. I wanted to introduce myself and was wondering if you'd had a chance to try any out from our Les Déserts d'Orient series. If not, I'd like to send you some samples. Is there anything else you'd like to try out?"

I received those three and six others a few days later after a pleasant conversation with the nice lady. When it's time to buy, they'll continue to get my Guerlain business.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Basenotes Plus

"Have you tried Boyz du Portugal". The mind boggles ....

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    "Have you tried Boyz du Portugal". The mind boggles ....
    That one defies belief, Jon.

Blog Entries

It's pretty typical. I used to live in Des Moines (shudder).

(Almost no one pronounces it correctly, sigh)
    Last edited by kumquat; 7th February 2014 at 04:19 PM.

Some of the generalisations made about sales assistants on this thread are somewhat offensive to me. I work part-time for Penhaligon's and would like to think I know a fair bit about scent even though it a relatively new interest of mine. To think that someone on here wouldn't bother asking for my advice because they would assume I am, as one person on here put it, not one 'of the brightest of knowledgeable of creatures', is a bit of a shame. The concession where I work is pretty quiet and helping another fumehead out (on the few occasions it has happened) has made my day.
    Last edited by lilacwine; 7th February 2014 at 12:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Lilacwine, good for you being knowledgable and good at your job. We need more like you! Unfortunately, there have been a few bad experiences here and there. It's never good to insult a whole group of people, though. Tarring everyone with the same brush, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Lilacwine, good for you being knowledgable and good at your job. We need more like you! Unfortunately, there have been a few bad experiences here and there. It's never good to insult a whole group of people, though. Tarring everyone with the same brush, I agree.
    Thanks kumquat. I should mention that staff training for SAs working for perfume houses can be sparse. Most of the information that gets passed down to a SA usually comes from sources which are themselves unreliable (e.g. the manager who also knows little or doesn't communicate what they get told in an accurate way). I have never been on any training for Penhaligon's and most of my knowledge of the brand and of other brands comes from doing my own research and visiting these sorts of sites.

Also, a vast majority of the SAs you find working for perfume counters in London are usually agency staff who are performers and between jobs. They are usually only working there for one or two days.The money is reasonably good and affords them the flexibility to go on auditions etc. It is the brand's way of saving money by limiting the number of staff entitled to holiday allowance and sick pay. Unfortunately, the consequence of this is that a customer will often encounter a SA who hadn't even heard the name of the brand until a couple of hours earlier.
    Last edited by lilacwine; 7th February 2014 at 04:36 PM.

Basenotes Plus

"While I wrap up these bottles for you, look around and bring us the bottles you want samples of and we'll make them for you. As many as you want."

Quote Originally Posted by lilacwine View Post
    Some of the generalisations made about sales assistants on this thread are somewhat offensive to me. I work part-time for Penhaligon's and would like to think I know a fair bit about scent even though it a relatively new interest of mine. To think that someone on here wouldn't bother asking for my advice because they would assume I am, as one person on here put it, not one 'of the brightest of knowledgeable of creatures', is a bit of a shame. The concession where I work is pretty quiet and helping another fumehead out (on the few occasions it has happened) has made my day.
    Take no offence, lilac. Some SAs have certifications in fragrance and skin care. They know about the product.

The bottom line, as in any other sales profession, is that some people care to learn about the products they sell (even clothing or food) and some don't.

Perfume lovers appreciate people like you. We love getting to work with someone like you.

As you stated, these are generalisations.

Take no offence, lilac. Some SAs have certifications in fragrance and skin care. They know about the product.

The bottom line, as in any other sales profession, is that some people care to learn about the products they sell (even clothing or food) and some don't.

Perfume lovers appreciate people like you. We love getting to work with someone like you.

As you stated, these are generalisations.
    Hi Primrose. I take no offence to the majority of comments on this thread. It's only those who make sweeping statements based on their experiences that caused me to become a little upset. You're right that not all sales assistants are too bothered about learning about their product. It would just be nice to think that if someone from this site visited my counter, they wouldn't ignore me or decline my help merely because of a false assumption they hold (i.e. that all SAs have no idea what they're talking about).

Quote Originally Posted by lilacwine View Post
    Hi Primrose. I take no offence to the majority of comments on this thread. It's only those who make sweeping statements based on their experiences that caused me to become a little upset. You're right that not all sales assistants are too bothered about learning about their product. It would just be nice to think that if someone from this site visited my counter, they wouldn't ignore me or decline my help merely because of a false assumption they hold (i.e. that all SAs have no idea what they're talking about).
    Lilac, I give all SAs the benefit of the doubt when I am new in a store. When I find one who is excellent, I treasure him like gold, and make all purchases from him thereafter! He gets the sales and I get the service.