Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What fragrance do you use the most sprays of when your applying, and how many sprays?

Out of all my fragrances, id prolly say I use the most sprays with Dolce and Gabbana The One. Its not that it has bad projection and longevity on me(surprisingly, it has great projection and longevity on me), but i find it to be my most inoffensive and wearable scent.

I go three on the kneck, two on the chest, one of each wrist

which one is it for u? and how many sprays
    Last edited by JonnyLeMale; 21st October 2010 at 08:41 AM.

Default Re: What fragrance do you use the most sprays of when your applying??

Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme. ATLEAST 10 sprays. Abysmal longevity & silage. Can't wait to finish the damn bottle.

35-40 sprays:
    Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte
    PDN Cologne Sologne

30-35 sprays:
    Penhaligon's EDC anthology
    R&G Extra Vieille
    Sisley Eau De Campagne

25-30 sprays:
    CREED Selection Verte

20-25 sprays:
    Hermes Concentre D'Orange verte
    CREED EROLFA
    CREED Millesime Imperial
    CREED Scent of Oger
    CREED Windsor

In contrast, I will not wear more than 4 sprays of these:

Tobacco Vanille
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Mugler Pure Malt

Had to include that just so people wouldn't get the wrong idea.

And perhaps I will enter a new category:

40-45 sprays
    For CREED's newest Spice and Wood

Polo Double Black. Love the scent, similar to The One, but doesn't project nor last very much.
    Summer Top 5:
    1) Creed Aventus
    2) A*Men Pure Havane
    3) Dior Homme Sport
    4) YSL L'Homme
    5) Clinique Happy for Men

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    35-40 sprays:
    PDN Cologne Sologne

30-35 sprays:
    R&G Extra Vieille
    Sisley Eau De Campagne

25-30 sprays:
    CREED Selection Verte

20-25 sprays:
    CREED EROLFA
    CREED Millesime Imperial
    CREED Scent of Oger
    CREED Windsor

Tobacco Vanille
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Mugler Pure Malt

40-45 sprays
    lol holy shit! i love to project alot to, but i cannot imagine wearing more then 10 sprays of ANY fragrance. ur bold brother lol

35-40 sprays:
    PDN Cologne Sologne

30-35 sprays:
    R&G Extra Vieille
    Sisley Eau De Campagne

25-30 sprays:
    CREED Selection Verte

20-25 sprays:
    CREED EROLFA
    CREED Millesime Imperial
    CREED Scent of Oger
    CREED Windsor

Tobacco Vanille
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Mugler Pure Malt

40-45 sprays
    25 sprays for CREED MI?!!??! wow.... i only do 4 and i'm good for like 6-8 hours on my skin

35-40 sprays:
    PDN Cologne Sologne

30-35 sprays:
    R&G Extra Vieille
    Sisley Eau De Campagne

25-30 sprays:
    CREED Selection Verte

20-25 sprays:
    CREED EROLFA
    CREED Millesime Imperial
    CREED Scent of Oger
    CREED Windsor

Tobacco Vanille
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Mugler Pure Malt

40-45 sprays
    wow...Only once or twice have I broken the 10-spray mark. I'm rarely over six...How do you do it? I'm so self-conscious about going overboard. Your post is somewhat inspiring...lol.

The most sprays I use for my current line-up is 6: Versace Dreamer and Carolina Herrera Chic. I become anosmic to both far too quickly.

John Varvatos and John Varvatos Vintage. Never bothered to count how many, I just spray until it projects a bit for me. I think it usually ends up being about 10 sprays then a few extra sprays every 3 hours or so.

Respect DULLAH!

I'm quite the opposite I guess. I usually do 2-3 sprays, one or two on neck and one on wrist or the back of my hand, depending on clothing. With Guerlain's Imperiale I go absolutely crazy. That is, about 5 sprays.

Holy moses... 25 sprays of anything would feel like I've taken a second shower or something. Wow.

My most would be John Varvatos Artisan or Armani Mania Summer at 5 sprays. My body chemistry tends to amplify most scents but these two.

Jo Malone vetyver cafe about 20 sprays or more and still don't smell a thing
    Comme des garcons odeur53 and Hinoki about 10 or 15
    The Different Company Bois d`Iris about 10

Dullah, I read somewhere else that you don't apply fragrances to your skin, but rather your clothes?

Is this correct? I suspect this would go some way to explaining the high number. Peoples astonished reactions are probably more so because they're imagining you're spraying on your skin.

Creed Silver Mountain water 10-12 sprays
    Creed Original Vetiver 10-12 sprays
    Creed GIT 7-10 sprays
    Amouage Dia. 8 sprays
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 21st October 2010 at 09:40 AM.

btw guys, make sure u guys mention how many sprays u use usually with the fragrance that u name. im just curious lol

Quote Originally Posted by timkm1 View Post
    wow...Only once or twice have I broken the 10-spray mark. I'm rarely over six...How do you do it? I'm so self-conscious about going overboard. Your post is somewhat inspiring...lol.

The most sprays I use for my current line-up is 6: Versace Dreamer
    Well for perfect instance, 40 sprays of Hermes EAU d'Orange Verte is the sillage equivalent of 6 sprays of Versace Dreamer. Dreamer is strong.

It's not that I'm some crazy sillage beast (mostly), it's just that these particular scents in my wardrobe need such heavy applications to be felt from more than 24" away.

For another example, L'Anarchiste I only use 5-6 sprays, never more, Abercrombie Fierce I use 4-5, No.88 I use 5 sprays, Green Irish Tweed generally 9 or 10...Green Valley 12-14...etc.

I just use a sliding scale that adjusts to any particular scent's strength....whatever application it takes to make every fragrance in my wardrobe have a similar level of presence.

Or even worse with splash applications...
    ...on days when I wear 4711 or Duru / PEREJA Limon Kolonyasi, I might splash on the same amount that would be equivalent to 80 sprays....because these are very fleeting scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Anť View Post
    Dullah, I read somewhere else that you don't apply fragrances to your skin, but rather your clothes?

Is this correct? I suspect this would go some way to explaining the high number. Peoples astonished reactions are probably more so because they're imagining you're spraying on your skin.
    Yes, I spray mostly on clothing. Although sometimes, if i choose a very strong scent, and I dislike the topnotes alot, but love the drydown, I will spray on the skin, so it dries down rapidly. And I always test last on skin, after all else. But i try to avoid spraying on skin as often as possible, and instead use oil based accompaniments specific to each fragrance in my wardrobe.

And No, the inverse actually. the reason I will spray on clothes is part for well-being, and mostly to extend the life of volatile topnotes. For instance, if I spray Orange Verte all on my skin, no matter how many sprays, i will have mostly moss and Patchouli in an hour, whereas on Fabric, the citrus lasts and lasts. Same with MI, on my skin, the beautiful citrus/melon vanishes quick in sub-80'F weather, leaving me only with iris and Palm sap, and a little taste of fruit. But on clothing, with 20 sprays, the topnotes are still there in good strength much later in the day.

And sometimes I'll bring along a 5ml or 10ml decant in the pocket to refresh before meeting a new girl. i still haven't yet made one of these for each of my favorites, but thanks to this thread, I am soon to do so!

10-15 or more sprays everything in my collection.
    EXCEPT Kouros, Grey Flannel, Bel Ami = only 4-6 sprays.

20+ sprays of Erolfa? Damn.. that's obscene.

I maintain that anything more than 10 sprays is definitely overkill, and only rarely would one need to go above 5. I want other people to smell my scent but I don't want to be offensive. 10+ sprays is the equivalent of those kids who have their subs blaring so loudly that their car rattles and any and every nuance of the music is lost - swallowed up in the bass abyss.

I sometimes use 4 sprays of Varvatos Artisan, Givenchy Play, Bois de Turquie, and Romance Silver, but for most scents 2 sprays, occasionally 3, suffice. I find that if I overapply a scent it becomes annoying to me, regardless of what others think.

Despite - or rather, because of - my modest application method, I can smell every single scent I own for at least 6 hours, usually 8-10 or more.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Well for perfect instance, 40 sprays of Hermes EAU d'Orange Verte is the sillage equivalent of 6 sprays of Versace Dreamer. Dreamer is strong.

It's not that I'm some crazy sillage beast (mostly), it's just that these particular scents in my wardrobe need such heavy applications to be felt from more than 24" away.

For another example, L'Anarchiste I only use 5-6 sprays, never more, Abercrombie Fierce I use 4-5, No.88 I use 5 sprays, Green Irish Tweed generally 9 or 10...Green Valley 12-14...etc.

I just use a sliding scale that adjusts to any particular scent's strength....whatever application it takes to make every fragrance in my wardrobe have a similar level of presence.

...on days when I wear 4711 or Duru / PEREJA Limon Kolonyasi, I might splash on the same amount that would be equivalent to 80 sprays....because these are very fleeting scents.

Yes, I spray mostly on clothing. Although sometimes, if i choose a very strong scent, and I dislike the topnotes alot, but love the drydown, I will spray on the skin, so it dries down rapidly. And I always test last on skin, after all else. But i try to avoid spraying on skin as often as possible, and instead use oil based accompaniments specific to each fragrance in my wardrobe.

And No, the inverse actually. the reason I will spray on clothes is part for well-being, and mostly to extend the life of volatile topnotes. For instance, if I spray Orange Verte all on my skin, no matter how many sprays, i will have mostly moss and Patchouli in an hour, whereas on Fabric, the citrus lasts and lasts. Same with MI, on my skin, the beautiful citrus/melon vanishes quick in sub-80'F weather, leaving me only with iris and Palm sap, and a little taste of fruit. But on clothing, with 20 sprays, the topnotes are still there in good strength much later in the day.

And sometimes I'll bring along a 5ml or 10ml decant in the pocket to refresh before meeting a new girl. i still haven't yet made one of these for each of my favorites, but thanks to this thread, I am soon to do so!
    80 SPRAYS?!?!? thats impossible. u must go through ur bottles very very quickyl. 80 SPRAYS?! HOLLLLLLLY shit. well i know one thing fersure. u definitely know how to get a rooms attention

Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
    Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme. ATLEAST 10 sprays. Abysmal longevity & silage. Can't wait to finish the damn bottle.
    you might wanna try Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy. Two sprays are enough and longevity and sillage are awesome. I'm not saying these fragrances are the same, but they truly share a vibe to my nose.

Default Re: What fragrance do you use the most sprays of when your applying, and how many sprays?

Usually 2 sprays: one on the neck, one on the wrist. The fragrances that needs more than 2 sprays are Bleu de Chanel (4 sprays) and Pour Monsieur (3 sprays).

Default Re: What fragrance do you use the most sprays of when your applying, and how many sprays?

I never go beyond 4 sprays regardless, most of the time 3

Doesn't matter which fragrance - 3 sprays.

I have gone as many as 20 sprays on some poor-projection, poor-longevity ones. Helps a little.

Gucci Pour Homme II. I usually spray it around 7-8 times. I also bring a decant to reapply if need be. Usually I'll spray it on clothing, very close up so that it will stay for awhile.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

The most sprays I ever apply is four. Most days I spray three times. (chest, neck, & wrist)
    My Top Fragrances:
    Hermes: Terre d"Hermes
    Dior: Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent: La Nuit de L'homme
    Burberry: London
    Gucci: Pour Homme
    Rochas: Man
    Azzaro: Pour Homme

Wanted:
    L'Artisan: Fou d'Absinthe; Cristiano Fissore: Cashmere for Men; Parfums d'Nicolai: New York; Divine: L'homme Sage; Montale: Black Aoud; Tauer: L'air du desert Marocain.

DeepSilence

Aramis Devin, Santos De Cartier : 10-12
    Acqua Di Gio, Creed SMW : about 15

Guerlain Vetiver is one that I like to just keep spraying, I usually wear like 8-10 sprays of it. Actually Etro Vetiver too...something about vetivers...
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Burberry London for Men : 10 sprays

Burberry London for Men mixed (not layered) with L'Anarchiste: 5 sprays

Do you think the amount we spray is related to how well we smell the fragrance? Perhaps there are times when we experience anosmia and spray more, despite the fact that others smell us (the fragrance) fine.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

If 1 spray is, say, 0.05 ml then 80 sprays is equivalent to 4 ml. That's alot of perfume. Holy $hit.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Yeah, I don't think I have ever broken 6 sprays of anything.

Usually 4 of Body Kouros, Rochas, JPG, Green Irish Tweed.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    Gucci Pour Homme II. I usually spray it around 7-8 times. I also bring a decant to reapply if need be. Usually I'll spray it on clothing, very close up so that it will stay for awhile.
    5 Sprays for me. One on neck, chest wrists & back of neck. I dont think this one could be over applied.
    Last edited by Riley; 25th November 2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Spell correction, changed ncek to neck ;)

I typically spray between 4-7 sprays depending on the cologne because my skin swallows up scent and I thought I use way too much.... after reading this thread I feel much better about how much I use. LOL
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

The most I ever do at one time is 5 (each wrist, base of neck, fingertips to dab back of ears and maybe 1 on my shirt for certain scents.

I've noticed with Creed MI, and more so SMW, I need this max 5 Plus a few re-application ones in a few hours.

4 and under.

I dont care who you are, above 10 sprays and you're "that" guy. lol
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

35-40 sprays:
    PDN Cologne Sologne

30-35 sprays:
    R&G Extra Vieille
    Sisley Eau De Campagne

25-30 sprays:
    CREED Selection Verte

20-25 sprays:
    CREED EROLFA
    CREED Millesime Imperial
    CREED Scent of Oger
    CREED Windsor

Tobacco Vanille
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Mugler Pure Malt

40-45 sprays

Don't take this the wrong way, but your critique about how "weak" Spice and Wood is just took a huge credibility hit!

Apparently, your nose is on the brink of failure. I have Selection Verte, and 5-10 sprays is MORE than enough from that atomizer. Your need to apply 25-30... hey, it's your world.... but clearly, your definition of weak and strong are FAR different than mine and (as it seems) everyone else on this board.

Perhaps you should recognize that and hold off on destroying a fragrance because you think it's "weak". It's like my near-deaf uncle who BLARES the television and still asks us to turn it up because he can't hear it.

It's not the TV, it's YOU! :-)
    Last edited by fugazi; 21st October 2010 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Agreed. and i never ever ever want to be "that guy".

Now, I will re-apply, and that's different. Especially with some CREEDs and their shorter longevity. For example, I only need two sprays of GIT. and after two sprays, people on other floors of the house can smell it before I even come down! However, GIT is also half gone after 2 hours, so one re-charge spray is a good idea.

but to come out of the gate with anything more than 4 sprays of GIT is just being offensive to others. You are FORCING your fragrance on other people in the same room/building, and that's when you become "that guy" and that's just plain inconsiderate.

Also, people, remember something about human biology and the nose... it ADJUSTS to a constant smell after a while, and you lose the ability to detect it. This is very common with Aventus, which DOES last 8-10 hours, but people swear it's gone after 1 hour. It's not gone, it's just that the nose attunes to this fragrance very quickly.

You know what it's like to go into someone's house where they're baking cookies? It smells SOOO good at first. 20 minutes later, take a huge breath through your nose, and you can't tell anything. Cookies are still baking, but your neuron receptors have adjusted.

Being "that guy" is offensive to others and does our whole community a disservice. It puts a stigma on cologne wearers that we all I'm sure have run into, even if we wear the appropriate amount. Kind of like the assh*le motorcyclist who speeds at 100mph weaving in and out of lanes.... gives all motorcyclists a bad rap.
    Last edited by fugazi; 21st October 2010 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    4 and under.

He he.. I like to be "that" guy, as long as the scent is classy!

I don't understamd why many here place an arbitrary limit of 10 sprays NO MATTER WHAT. For instance, 10 sprays of Eau D'Orange Verte just isn't sufficient enough to let others you meet experience how beautiful a scent it is. 10 sprays and ONLY you or your SO will smell it...no one else...shame.....as it's one of the all time grreatest fresh scents....so ingenious and ahead of it's time (1979)
    Quote Originally Posted by fugazi View Post
    Apparently, your nose is on the brink of failure. I have Selection Verte, and 5-10 sprays is MORE than enough from that atomizer.
    My nose isn't broken, on the contrary it's quite good. I'm just cursed to like very light, natural smelling citrus/green scents which lack projection and longevity with a normal application.

Please apply 25 sprays of Selection Verte and report back. It's no louder than around 7-8 sprays of GIT, or 4-5 sprays of SMW.

And also please apply 35 sprays of Eau D'Orange Verte some time, and enjoy the compliments you get from others who can actually smell Eau D'Orange Verte lightly from a meter away. My nose isn't broken, on the contrary it's quite good. I'm just cursed to like very light, natural smelling citrus/green scents which lack projection and longevity with a normal application.

Again when I wear Tobacco Vanille I never wear more than 4 sprays, when i wear Bogart Pour Homme it's generally 2-3 sprays, almost never 4....it's relative.
    Or if I was to wear Original Santal it'd be 3-4 sprays max.
    I think people are overestimating what 35-40 sprays of Eau D'Orange Verte, or what 25-30 sprays of Selection Verte feels like. If you live where you can test them for free, GO DO IT !!!!!!

It's rather liberating to/for the beauty of weak/light scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    He he.. I like to be "that" guy, as long as the scent is classy!
    That's right. That's right. We Bad. That's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Do you think the amount we spray is related to how well we smell the fragrance? Perhaps there are times when we experience anosmia and spray more, despite the fact that others smell us (the fragrance) fine.
    I imagine so. That's why I usually wait until I can't even smell it up close on the skin to reapply.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I've done up to 15 sprays before, but only with Mugler Cologne. The longevity on me is abysmal. Usually no more than 8 with Kenneth Cole Reaction. No more than 6 with anything else. I spray mostly on my torso before putting on my shirt, and only spray one on my neck once my shirt is on...sometimes two.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    no need for me with that scent. Two sprays and I get 10+ hours, it's not that weak as it seems to be

In general 10 sprays....I m curious with how many sprays basenoters with Eau Sauvage?
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I won't get the same projection, sillage and longevity out of Eau Sauvage, Guerlain's Vetiver, Orange Verte or Extra Vieille as out of Rive Gauche PH or Nicolai's Patchouli Homme and I respect that. I take it that projection, sillage and longevity of any particular scent, to a large extent, were creative choices made by the perfumer (and also intrinsic properties of the notes, i.e. citrus notes will never last as long as amber or oakmoss). I would sort of feel guilty towards the creative genius of Roudnitska if I tried to make Eau Sauvage last and project as much as Kouros by applying 15+ sprays. It's not in Eau Sauvage's DNA to last 10 hours. There is a reason why ES Extrême has never been as popular as the original ES.

Accepting that some of the scents in your wardrobe will last 4 hours when others will last 24 hours is a major step in understanding the art of fragrance, and actually it gives a lot of relief to the perception of your wardrobe.

I used 20 sprays of Kouros and my girlfriend left me, my truck broke down and my dog ran away......

/country song

around 10 with my CW summer flankers.
    Smellin good

That would probably be Eau d'Hadrien, Annick Goutal. Light Citrus Aromatic fragrance. About 8 sprays, or so.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    no need for me with that scent. Two sprays and I get 10+ hours, it's not that weak as it seems to be
    I get 10+ hours if I press my nose against my skin haha. Reading through the reviews I don't see anyone talking about that much longevity. Do note that I have oily skin, so I get better longevity than most and STILL need to spray this on fabric. To get ANY projection I really need to put at least 5-6 sprays on. I know Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme has the same issue.
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Dullah, you are one of the best blokes on here, but I really would not like to be around on one of your 30 sprays of Eau De Campagne days!

Most I spray is 8-10 of Paul Smith for Men, a good coating, because it just wont last (but I do love the way it smells)

Millesime Imperial I use 10 sprays. five on the neck are, one big spray on each arm, two on chest, one on the abdomen. There's times were I may spray my back but thats rarely.

40 sprays! in one month?

Blog Entries

John Varvatos - as much as it takes to stay on, which is minimum 5

I think people are overestimating what 35-40 sprays of Eau D'Orange Verte, or what 25-30 sprays of Selection Verte feels like. If you live where you can test them for free, GO DO IT !!!!!!

It's rather liberating to/for the beauty of weak/light scents.
    I can only speak about the scents from that list that I know, but 20-25 sprays of MI or Erolfa could surely asphyxiate most small animals within a 15 yard radius.

I shudder to think what 25 sprays of Erolfa smells like.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Dullah, you are one of the best blokes on here, but I really would not like to be around on one of your 30 sprays of Eau De Campagne days!
    I bring the entire greenhouse with me.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I shudder to think what 25 sprays of Erolfa smells like.
    LOL
    It's 25 out of the leather atomizer, which is smaller sprays.
    Out of the 4 ounce flask, I'd still do about 16-18 sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I used 20 sprays of Kouros and my girlfriend left me, my truck broke down and my dog ran away......

/country song
    you mean 20 sprays of Tim McGraw

Here's one that would likely beat out any of my 25 spray-days, in terms of sillage and presence:
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepSilence View Post
    Creed SMW : about 15

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    you mean 20 sprays of Tim McGraw
    Oh yea, LOL..... Too true!

Halston Unbound, when I owned it I would do about 8 sprays. IZOD I do a good 6-8 sprays. Diesel Green Masculine, when I owned this I would do up to 15 sprays. But, I think on top of the list is Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Barts, where I've done up to 20 sprays.