Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrance: Lady Gaga Fame

From mimifroufrou.com:

Lady Gaga's perfume has been unveiled: it's called Fame, which is what celebrity fragrances are all about, so it's iconic from the get-go. Next, the bottle looks like a "little monster" of sorts - to borrow from Gaga's terminology - and seemingly inspired by the lines of Alexander Mc Queen fashion, a designer that the musician and performance artist wears often. You can especially detect the influence of the towering Armadillo shoes...

But it's also about the talons Gaga sports.

Third, the juice is black and has its own special name, "Black Fluid". It reportedly has the property of changing color once it touches the skin. They do not go as far as saying that it is going to reveal your mood like mood rings, but if they could, they probably would.

The idea of a perfume which is more like paint or an aquarelle color was done previously with Boudicca Wode and Serge Lutens Sarrasins.

The provocation is also palpable in the words of Gaga herself who manages to say that her blood is in the perfume without really being there yet it's there. It's not her semen evidently though. Whose is it? An anonymous donor? Will the perfume mix the semen of a fan with the blood of Gaga to make it feel complete? But most importantly, it's about "the feeling and sense of blood and semen from molecular structures". We hope she will be able to promote her perfume with an interpreter or a scientist adept at vulgarizationby her side to help it break it down for us. The perfumer's job was to come up with an "expensive hooker" accord.

"It was taken out of my own blood sample so it’s a sense of having me on your skin, I wanted to extract sort of the feeling and sense of blood and semen from molecular structures, so that’s where [the rumours] came from. That is in the perfume but it doesn’t smell like that, Actually the perfume smells like an expensive hooker."

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: New Fragrance: Lady Gaga Fame

Even if it's vile I'll probably end up buying this anyway

Interesting. Yes I will sample when its released.
    DONNA

I have a soft spot for Gaga--she's really very talented, with a vulnerability that makes her public persona very human. I will definitely try this when I see it--I'll try anything, no matter how cheap or how expensive.

Basenotes Institution

Thank you Joe ! This is probably the most interesting celebrity perfume ever and I will be trying it .

That is exactly how I feel about Lady Gaga. As a person, sometimes she seems like a little girl playing dress up but she is so fascinating and vulnerable that you enjoy the show. Musically, she is very talented.

Hopefully her perfume will smell nothing like blood and semen.

I will definitely give it a spritz or two when it hits the local department stores to see if I like it. I've found descriptions sometimes don't mean much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Altodiva View Post
    I have a soft spot for Gaga--she's really very talented, with a vulnerability that makes her public persona very human. I will definitely try this when I see it--I'll try anything, no matter how cheap or how expensive.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

Quote Originally Posted by Altodiva View Post
    I also have a soft spot for The Lady.....I'll take a snif at this to appease my soft spot!!!
    Gary

Just seen pics of the box on Facebook! (Sorry, can't post as I'm on my phone!)

Notes are: Tears of Belladonna, crushed heart of Tiger Orchidea with a black veil of incense, pulverised apricot, and the combinative essences of Saffron and honey drops.

I'll be giving it a spritz for sure!

ETA: The box also says it's invisible when exposed to air, so no colour changing!
    Last edited by redderz; 13th June 2012 at 09:25 PM.

I want, i want, i want - i love mother monster gaga

So not a fan. But I'll sniff anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchly View Post
    So not a fan. But I'll sniff anything.
    +1.

Thank you, JC, as always, for the news. This is interesting. Must look at this!

I think it has an ELdO-like "shock effect" ("epater la bougeoisie," or shock the middle class) with the blood from Secretions Magnifique, with their four S's: sang, sueur, sperme, salive (blood, sweat, sperm, saliva).

A upscale take on ELdO Putain des Palaces? A high-class hooker versus a hotel whore.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

queen of the universe

petruccijc, iconic—or ironic? Both, I'd say (;
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

crosspost from the thread in the Industry section:

The cap looks like a Martial arts weapon.

Tears? of belladonna..... so maybe a heady sweet Amaryllis Belladonna Lily topnote?
    Crushed orchids
    Pulverized apricot? does that mean the pits?

Sounds pretty violent LOL....
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

An expensive hooker, eh? And that is supposed to make people want to try it? Actually, judging by a lot of the responses in here, apparently so. Marketing at it's finest.

Saffron can have a bit of a medicinal or metallic twang in some compositions, and certain takes on honey can be a bit "carnal" smelling... I wonder if those notes popped up as a way to call back to her original blood and semen idea without actually smelling like either. I suspect the end result is going to be super synthetic (appropriate) and super sweet, but I'm still much more interested in trying this than the average celebrity perfume, despite the fact that Gaga kind of bores me now.

It'll probably smell like Madonna's fume.
    I am

I've had a the "Luxe" presentation of this for almost a month now, which was sent to me as a gift. The bottle itself is quite beautiful once the ugly cap in removed--the cap is very awkward and plasticky--the box and packaging are as good as any high end scent--has some interesting data on it--the juice looks frankly weird in the bottle: It's definitely black, and this blackness is rigged up so that as soon as it comes in contact with air it disappears which is fairly easy to do from a chemical standpoint, or so i've been told. As for the scent itself, it:

-Almost blew up my computer/relationship with basenotes due to the ridiculous amount of passionate opinions the mere mention of it seems to elicit.
    -At first sat in the box ignored as I am not one to wear or care about "Celebuscents" and have never smelled any other, not even Elizabeth Taylor's Diamonds/Passion, etc.
    -When I finally tried it I posted a vague comment on Frag and my PM box was full overnight with inquiries and accusations. apparently, Frag users know if you post anything vicious publicly, it gets taken down immediately.
    -To me, it harkens poisonous night shade--these enormous upside down lily-like flowers that are usually pale yellow: It's very sweet and deep at first, and lingers in an odd way: It "seems" linear, but it "behaves" seemingly of its own accord and comes and goes rather than evolving--You sniff once and it's very heady--later you sniff again and it's almost gone--later still it explodes and slaps you across the face. As the ire and craziness continued to mount on the other thread, (please: no repeat performances here. My question: WHY WHY WHY?????) I actually took to being quite fascinated by it--and began wearing it at home. I can not for one minute imagine any other "celebuscent" would be this "tricky." It's a study in contrasts--it's heady and sweet and intoxicating yet watery at the same time. I know I would never wear it out the door as it is far too feminine and floral but it's definitely interesting. As soon as you ditch the ugly cap, the bottle looks pretty sitting around the house: It's nice and heavy and now that 1/3 of the juice is gone it looks even more bizarre being mysteriously jet black, like ink. The thing that makes it truly singular is that it has marked "split personality disorder." It wants to convince you it's linear and just smells like lilies and then it starts this hide and go seek song-and-dance that is unlike any other perfume I have ever smelled. As noted above, this is not my taste--I would not wear it--but I predict that it will have an enormous success, and, historically, may break the tween market of its current obsession with strawberry cupcake scents, as it smells *distinctly* knowing and quite sophisticated--it just "acts up" in a very singular way that I would find unnerving if I were to actually wear it. The dry down is more of a roller coaster than anything else and is hard to map out. Redesign the cap and you have a physical thing of beauty. The scent? It's not at all my taste but it gets A for effort. I won't post again on this thread after the horrific experiences I had on the other one, so the above will be my final word on it. In a nut shell: *Interesting,* to say the least. I got NO blood/sperme data out of it at all: Zero. It actually *does* smell a bit like a very decorative woman--all make up and hair and clothes--that may be "high class" and could potentially be bought at a price. It's definitely a woman's scent. No ambiguity there. There are moments when comparisons might be made scent wise--Cacharel's Anais Anais comes to mind immediately, but then it's gone, and something else pops up. If you like bizarre kalaedoscopic florals you might like this. As for even saying the name Lady Gaga, I won't be doing that in the future: Too much drama. In conclusion--this *MUST* be better than "Britney Spears"--whatever-- it's not mainstream, in the way we have come to imagine mainstream. I predict serious business with this one: Now if they would just rethink the cap--
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

It sounds interesting, as you describe it, MdM. I love narcotic florals with no ambiguity. Thank you for sharing your impressions. Is this being sold now? There is a mall here with Saks, Neimans, Bloomies, Macys. I may have to brave the mall (which is a place that gives me mild panic attacks) to try it. Maybe I'll wait until I'm forced to go to the mall. Anyway, the female board is seldom a place of drama and incivility. I think you're safe. xo

tried this yesterday at the pre-order. I dont think I have words for exactly how disappointed I was. Which is awkward, because after all it IS a celebuscent. I really admire GaGa's marekting skills, the buzz around Fame is remarkable, with the talk about Sécrétions-like notes, the Illamasqua-debacle, the advert visuals, the witchcraft-listed notes of belladonna... everything. Therefore I am so terribly sorry to say this is just yet another fruity floral celbrity scent, watery and sweet, totally harmless. How sad.

Thank you for the first truly thoughtful examination of this fragrance. There is so much drama surrounding it -- and most celeb scents are mostly smoke and mirrors anyway -- so your post is a breath of fresh (floral) air.

Tried this...LOL..it's super, super fruity....even Britney Spears would say it's too fruity. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marathon Alchemist View Post
    It'll probably smell like Madonna's fume.
    Nope, it's worse believe it or not, LOL.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I finally smelled this too, to my great disappointment. Is it too much to ask for a "monster" perfume bottle to contain a perfume that is a bit of a "monster"?

It actually smells really nice. It just does not match the image being presented.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

Sounds like a wasted opportunity. Oh well, I won't be going out of my way to test this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vmarshmellow View Post
    It actually smells really nice. It just does not match the image being presented.
    Exactly. It really doesn't smell bad at all, if you're not offended by mainstream. However, I'm smelling it from a magazine strip, so anything positive that I accidentally say can safely be ignored.

Seriously, though, this is the ultimate first impression on paper, so take it with plenty of nackle. It's about all that one can get out of a magazine insert without just plain making stuff up. I was pounding sliced-up insert pieces with the back of a carabiner to extract every last bit of fragrance out of them.

• Very well-made.
    • The restraint reminds me a bit of Justin Bieber Someday, which I thought was well-done, too.
    • In that respect, it's very current, though feels (properly) more mature than Someday
    • Guy-wearable by Basenotes standards. YMMV otherwise.
    • I really think they were trying to keep it close to the gender line so all little monsters could play
    • I can vouch for the fact that it's less feminine than UltraCare™ Scent Tablets for vacuum bags (we're cleaning and whatnot today. Just sayin'.)
    • Initial burst is mainstream feminine - very light pink. I thought the evil FFF (fruityfloralfeminine) stuff was restrained, however. Particularly the candy. Low candy and moderate floral
    • Color images fade quickly to the wearer. However, continues to smell "pink" to somebody not habituated to the scent. Of course, I can't address actual fade on skin.
    • My wife stresses a very light pink
    • My wife likes it (good news for 30R - another fan of FdTRB)
    • An interesting dryness, which oddly carries a sort of misty image. I like that part. It becomes prominent as the opening fades
    • There is actually a nice lingering tonal effect like we've been talking about in S01E03. Not as strong, but I can spot it now.
    • No obvious "Beyoncé Heat / Pulse / Queen" (modern barely-assertive oriental/spicy) stuff at all.
    • However, the cool misty thing seems almost like a tone-downed version of the "cool heat" in Heat
    • The base notes tantalize, but are too faint to catch on a magazine insert.
    • Both my wife and I agree that the opening is outwardly very similar to D&G rose the one (another of her faves)
    • My wife likes Justin Bieber Girlfriend (another mag insert ) better in the opening, because it's more subtle and "natural" (to my nose, more "cheerful" and "optimistic" - the comparison is fascinating and kudos to the perfumers for getting that difference into the Gaga scent).
    • However, she thinks that Girlfriend fades too quickly (I agree), but Fame does not
    • For comparison to a more normal , new FFF, see Lancome La vie est belle, which I also compared by the morning insert. There seems to be far, far more candy in that one than in Fame
    • If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that the compromise between the marketers and the artistes was that the latter could play with Gaga imagery within the sandbox of what her true followers could actually tolerate. Thus I anticipate subtle oddities within what is otherwise Macys-space.
    • Said with more challenge to ourselves - it's not the obvious oddity of niche. It is - perhaps - the subtle oddity of a mass market scent done in a way that may be - if we focus - pleasantly Gaga. To a fangrl that may be wonderful. To a cynic, it's a Gaga bumper sticker on a Toyota Corolla. To me - a mainstream lover with a minor in celebrity scents - it's nice, and potentially interesting.
    • No matter what, I think it was an excellent marketing decision to stay in the mainstream.
    • I will try to get a sample to wear for me and my wife.
    • No children or small monsters will by harmed by this scent.

OK.

Ready.

Basenotes Plus

A very comprehensive analysis from a magazine strip Red. You & Mrs Red are to be commended for discerning & sharing such so much detail. A fun read.

I noticed last night that (sealed) bottles are already showing up on eBay.
    A Scent Rescuer

Sounds about as dull as a sandal

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    LOL Just curious- if that's a British expression?
    A Scent Rescuer

Sur la Plage

Bor-ing.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    LOL Just curious- if that's a British expression?
    Lol! No it isn't :')
    Just my analogies haha, they come and go...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    A very comprehensive analysis from a magazine strip Red. You & Mrs Red are to be commended for discerning & sharing such so much detail. A fun read.

I noticed last night that (sealed) bottles are already showing up on eBay.
    Thanks, knit! We do look for ways to make our weekend mornings on the deck more interesting. My wife has a great nose, and I borrow it all the time, but she's starting to hold her hand out palm up after she gives an opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Bor-ing.
    Yeah, I have to admit that the highlight of the morning was not the Gaga scent, but our cute, fluffy poo-mix apparently running around the yard with an ax in her mouth. Not sure if that counts as tool use, but she's pretty bright. Good thing she's not a breeder, or she's be hooking up with this guy!

Basenotes Plus

Ok- so I ran some errands and had to pass Macy's on my way hone so -what he heck- I stopped to sniff for myself. And there was the display and a 20 something SA assigned to it. She is so enthusiastic about how sweet Fame is. Yes, as I sniff the card - it is super sweet. What a disappointment after all the hype, I mention. She remains smiling. The juice sprays onto my arm and lands grey- purplish, not clear. Not as sweet as on the card (better). She's still smiling. I thank her and move on. Twenty minutes later it's a generic floral, still sweet, doesn't smell cheap but doesn't have a lot of development either. It's now almost at 2 hour mark and I can barely perceive a hint. The best I can say is that it could have been a lot worse.
    A Scent Rescuer

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Thanks, knit! We do look for ways to make our weekend mornings on the deck more interesting. My wife has a great nose, and I borrow it all the time, but she's starting to hold her hand out palm up after she gives an opinion!

Yeah, I have to admit that the highlight of the morning was not the Gaga scent, but our cute, fluffy poo-mix apparently running around the yard with an ax in her mouth. Not sure if that counts as tool use, but she's pretty bright. Good thing she's not a breeder, or she's be hooking up with this guy!

LOL, Red! Your poodle must have had a score to settle!

BTW, the Gaga scent is not all that bad considering it's a celeb scent. It's a pleasant floral oriental, IMO.

It got me a compliment!

Not as cutting edge as I had hoped, or as the hype made it out to be. A novelty scent, to be sure, but a better shot than most celeb scents out there.

Heckuva bottle.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A Gaga fan friend who otherwise doesn't care about perfume had a bottle, so I put some on last night, and it's still faintly here.

Initial blast: church social fruit punch, the air freshener used in the girl's bathroom at college ... at a 1970s college?
    One hour: some okay body shop type musk, but otherwise the scent does not change: very linear. I don't hate it!
    Onward: I never get the incense or any push-pull technology. But maybe I'm not falling prey to the heavily push-pulled for placebo effect here.
    Overall: Shuffleboard cheerleader in Boca at high noon. I love and wear nearly all of the "old lady perfumes," but Fame isn't even anachronistic, elegant, or classic: just edging on frumpy. Gaga could probably wear anything and make it kooky, but this isn't strange at all.

Yes, orientals are kind of cuddly and hold wide appeal, but it seems an oriental might have been a better choice if Gaga was going very mainstream like she did here. Crafting a good oriental might be kind of expensive though (but Old Spice does it)? Fame smells pretty cheap to my not overly experienced nose--cheaper than Britney's scents, engineered, processed in a creepy way--in that I guess the whole "black like the soul of Fame" muddledness emerges. Fans will buy this perfume no matter what, so it's too bad it wasn't decent. I assume Gaga wanted something more interesting, but budget and market constraints ironed out the frills.

On a scale of celeb perfumes, which is like Zagat guide ranking different McDonalds restaurants: Beyonce Heat is 2x (<) worse than Fame, which is 4x (<) worse than SJP Lovely. Still, Fame is a two star and not a one star scent. In the context of most celeb offerings, I'd even call it a three star scent! It's inoffensive and not sickening or anything; just dull. Really the dullness of this makes the expensive, intense ads really annoying. Should have put more money into making the scent less insulting, considering the probable 100 million it will make. Fame recalls Coty's other scents made for two women Gaga's age: the Mary-Kate and Ashley perfumes.

Blog Entries

It sounds bloody awful, the blood and semen analogy thing. But i'll see if i can wrestle a sample out of them snooty arsed lasses in Nordstrom. I doubt i would buy it though, i am picky with celebrity fragrances, and don't take them as seriously as "real perfume"

I am willing to have my attitude corrected though

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-imental View Post
    It sounds bloody awful, the blood and semen analogy thing. But i'll see if i can wrestle a sample out of them snooty arsed lasses in Nordstrom. I doubt i would buy it though, i am picky with celebrity fragrances, and don't take them as seriously as "real perfume"

I don't think the blood and semen thing has ANYTHING to do with this release - we can all forget that now.
    I think she realised it's been done before and had to quickly change her plan.
    Thanks for the inputs on Fame everyone - I'm sitting in my own happy smiling world now knowing all of this!

Blog Entries

I think she realised it's been done before and had to quickly change her plan.
    Indeed - she wouldn't have even had novelty on her side.

But the clincher would certainly be the marketing numbers for "blood and semen". She would be playing coffee shops for the remainder of her days, if her crew had to actually pick up the tab for an uber-fail mega-launch!

Most sales are certainly to people who are, at best, borderline fans, or merely acquainted with her name. You simply can't sell radical niche to such folks with any kind of respectable numbers. I think using the odd color thing was an excellent choice in making it strange but keeping it accessible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    LOL, Red! Your poodle must have had a score to settle!
    Good thing she wasn't carrying the ax today. She barked and ran around like she was rabid when the neighbors walked their dog in a way that seemed unfamiliar to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    BTW, the Gaga scent is not all that bad considering it's a celeb scent. It's a pleasant floral oriental, IMO.

It got me a compliment!

Not as cutting edge as I had hoped, or as the hype made it out to be. A novelty scent, to be sure, but a better shot than most celeb scents out there.

Heckuva bottle.
    I'm off to smell it today - wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I'm off to smell it today - wish me luck!
    Can't wait to hear your thoughts Red!

Blog Entries

Can't wait to hear your thoughts Red!
    OK! Wow - what a day of sniffing. I got to smell all my big-ticket sniffs (Fame, Coco Noir, CK Encounter, Armani Code Ultimate), and I even lucked into a real find - a new launch that hadn't been announced yet (Bond no.9 Manhattan). I'll try to stay on-topic as much as I can, with all that excitement.

First of all, I have to hand it to those damn magazine strips. I was actually surprised by how predictive they are of the real thing. It pretty much confirmed most of what I thought. Here are my revised impressions:

• Still think it's very well-made
    • Not much complexity, but no off-notes either
    • Not too loud (I never felt like "the perfume guy" wearing it)
    • Very current - reminds me of walking into Saks on a good day
    • Guy-wearable by Basenotes standards. Totally (I wore it around the mall, and nobody acted shocked)
    • Nicely unisex on my skin - which luckily tended to emphasize the guyish stuff, though I lost the freshness
    • The fragrance SA at Sephora said that the SAs all compared it on skin - and this one is more variable than most, differing in top, middle, and base on different people's skin
    • On my skin, it starts very jasmine-prominent, far less sweet than paper, and turns into slightly jasmine-touched incense fairly soon. I like it better on skin than on paper.
    • On paper, it's pretty much like the mag strips (see above), meaning more bright floral and fresh notes
    • Black stuff went completely clear on my skin instantly - it was never black at any time it was on my skin
    • But stayed black going into a sample atomizer.
    • My wife thought it smelled good on me when I got home (she didn't know what it was)
    • The misty thing I noticed on paper is buried in the incense/jasmine combination on my skin
    • Tonal effect only noticeable right after spraying
    • Did seem to have some spiciness on skin at first, but it disappeared quickly
    • Nice base for a celebrity scent - not strong, but no off-notes
    • Seemed a bit like D&G rose the one for just a while at the start, but not for too long
    • Longevity of the heart / sillage-emitting part - not so great (2-3 hours?)
    • I thought that the opening sweetness was just about perfect - a balance point
    • Sweet but not candy-like
    • A bit too dry at the end - I wish the sweetness lasted a bit longer
    • Big displays right in the entrances of Sephora and Macy's - not getting a crowd, but people were stopping to look
    • I was unable to detect anything interestingly artistic on skin.

It was featured in the opening page of the "Scentsa" fragrance-finder software. I tried to take a picture with my phone, but they said "no pictures"! But it was actually a pretty good description of the fragrance, etc.

Bottom line: people should try it on skin to find out what it does. For me, it's a sweet jasmine over woody incense. I kind of wish it was bolder, but it's OK as it is. Not amazing. Not bad.

Fun fact that I didn't know: the three-pronged top is actually a representation of Gaga's not-so-secret hand-sign to her "little monsters" - her thumb and fingers curled like claws - which she apparently uses in concert when she's recognizing her fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-imental View Post

The blood/semen idea was taken out altogether, Coty thought it wouldn't sell otherwise!

Blog Entries

Well, good. I did say i was willing to be corrected. Thank you. I am still not buying it. I like that the juice is black. It sounds nice enough from descriptions, and it's an interesting looking bottle. But still, there are so many other classic fragrances i'd rather buy. I just have something against celeb fragrances. They did not personally nip into the kitchen and whip up a batch of perfume, yet they get the credit for it, and probably know as much as i do about fragrance, which is, "ooh i like the smell of that" Alternatively, it is possible, that i am officially a grumpy old woman, and lke to find things to grumble about.

I will confess to owning one celeb fragrance, and i feel appropriately ashamed about it.

And if someone were to give me a bottle of this Lady Gaga stuff, i would give it a try.

I pretty much concur wholeheartedly with RPs assessment. Definitely a jasmine opening - pretty deep actually with a very deep grape note - note overly sweet or heady like Memoir Woman, for instance. This fade out to a thick amber that is far more full bodied and drier than is typical in mainstream feminine scents.

A quality release.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I wish it was bolder and more unusual, but it's perfectly pleasant. Not overly sweet, loud or screechingly synthetic. I rather like it.

Nice review, Red.

I enjoy it but wished it had more longevity. I still think the cop-out was the semen/blood thing. At least ELdO still has the guts to release things that are cutting edge.

And this is from the woman who wore raw meat? I was hoping for a more conceptual take like blood and semen, actually. All we got was a floral oriental. A nice one, but not the avant garde, Dada-esque thing I expected from her. Must appease the shareholders, after all.

In spite of all of the bad reviews here and elsewhere, it's not bad for a fruity thing. And I think that the whole "push-pull" technology translates to linear (and a little dull).

Fame is tame.
    Very similar to Taylor Swift's Wonderstruck. Its not bad, just not the dark and edgy fragrance its marketed as being. Disappointing in that respect.

Blog Entries

It's funny how everyone is saying it's 'not bad,' damning with faint praise a bit.

I really thought it was bad but tried to find its good points in spite of just wanting to dismiss it. Maybe the cool bottle and more-interesting than average celebrity has people being a little more generous than if the scent were in a pink Britney bottle.

Perhaps, as with most perfumes, repeat wearings bring out new conclusions. My friend whose bottle of Fame I sampled actually really likes the scent even though she admits it isn't what she expected, but it's also quite linear and only floral/musk on her (from what I smelled of her wearing it). Maybe only certain skins get the incense?! I had sprayed one spritz on the crook of each arm and one blast on a cotton skirt. The skirt held the scent powder-sweetly for 5+ hours and the skin held the scent a bit muskier for about 3 then on to a skin scent.

I'll admit it, it's bad! LOL. I actually thought of Kool-Aid..and then..well, yep..the Kool-Aid man:

K-man, so destructive, who's goin to pay for that fence? Kool-aid man? lol.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Got to sniff this in local chemist. Boring, fruity and generic. Gaga, sweet you really deserve a bitch slap for this this. You promised so much and this is what we get!!!!

Oh and as for the its black but sprays clear. I sprayed my arm asked friend who was at the main counter what do you think of this? First she asked where I got the bruise from? Yes, quite clearly a hint of black on my arm from Fame.
    DONNA

If it smells good then it smells good. I don't care if it is Lady Gaga, P Diddy, etc. Personally I don't like Lady Gaga's music or her style. Her style attracts attention which I guess is good.

Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    If it smells good then it smells good. I don't care if it is Lady Gaga, P Diddy, etc. Personally I don't like Lady Gaga's music or her style. Her style attracts attention which I guess is good.
    That's just the thing dude, it doesn't smell good.

Just smelled at macys. It smells generic fruity and sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Got to sniff this in local chemist. Boring, fruity and generic. Gaga, sweet you really deserve a bitch slap for this this. You promised so much and this is what we get!!!!
    That's just the thing dude, it doesn't smell good.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    Just smelled at macys. It smells generic fruity and sweet.
    I smelt it yesterday and felt the same about it. But then again, I wasn't in the least bit surprised and most of you (in general) shouldn't have been either. I mean, come on - this is the perfume industry!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I mean, come on - this is the perfume industry!
    I have to tell you, I laughed like hell at this!

Blog Entries

Not surprised really, but somehow disappointed anyway. Even attempting to test a celeb fragrance suggests either hyper-cynicism or suspension of cynicism to begin with ...

The whole repeating and expecting a different result as a sign of insanity momentarily aside... I re-tried Gaga at a department store today--this time only one spray on each wrist to move the phases along faster and judge longevity better. I also picked up one of those nicely designed little Gaga business cards they're passing out coated in several generous (clear once landed) sprays.

Updated impressions:

- The opening is even sweeter than I remembered. This time melted popsicle-like.
    + Medium sillage.
    +/- My mom said it "smells nice" but recanted when I told her it was Gaga. A friend commented it smelled "like crap." Woman spraying Gaga on me said "it's a beautiful fragrance. There you go honey." The Estee counter woman (she's impossibly chic) said it "smells like cheap Juicy Couture velour" (genius!) and offered Azuree as an antidote.
    -Longevity was worse on wrists: intense enough for twenty minutes as long as the super sweetness lasts, then skin scent after 1.5 hours, which was almost a shame, as + the drydown was growing on me this time, compulsively sniffable.
    + Still no real incense impresions, but I did get a musk-smokey cigarette ash smell from the card and a bit of overrheated electronics cords on skin (the latter sort of near-CDG compelling if had been amped up 4x).
    + Middle-ish notes were reminiscent of a weak Cacharel Loulou
    -Sour
    -Rich but cheap
    -Rubbery
    -A very artificial jasmine stands out similar to Alien
    -The bad opening makes the quieter smokey base not quite worth waiting for ...
    -Cheap wine and cigarettes
    - In fact Manischewitz. Yes. That above all.
    + If sold for maybe only $30 for a one ounce bottle, this would be a reasonable product for pre-to-late teens first getting into perfumes.
    -Is there any truth whatsoever to this push pull technology thing (other than the natural variation most any perfume goes through on any skin)? I see and smell no extant evidence.
    -Sticky.
    - - Also reminded me of a polite, Catholic, more tasteful and slightly more expensive version of Elizabeth Taylor's Passion (which I like better because it's at least intense).

Ok, given up then.

Smelled this today at Ulta. It was prominently displayed, and the tester was almost empty. It starts very, very sugary on me; in fact, it feels even sticky. It reminded me more of Flowerbomb because of this sugary opening than truly fruity frags. I love apricots, but here the fruit is more generic. Hours after I sprayed it, it is still on my arm, so longevity is apparently good. It is still sweet, but not in the sticky way it was in the beginning. It will be a pleasant, safe ("tame" is right as someone said above) for the cooler days especially if people like sweet perfumes.

For my dose of jammy apricots (truer to the actual fruit), though, I'll go with SL Daim Blond.

Obviously we were all lead up the path that "If her Madgesty did something different so will GaGa". Smelt it today and it smells like any other sweet tweeny scent. The black juice, the schpeel, so much window schmutter. Cheap plastic bottle too

Will the tweenkie generation of fumes ever stop? Ugh.

this is getting huge play on youtube as I see.. I'm assume this is already launched in the UK? haven't seen it around but haven't been looking either - anyone from the UK know where I can test ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    Love all these observations! I'll just single out a few...

+/- My mom said it "smells nice" but recanted when I told her it was Gaga. A friend commented it smelled "like crap." Woman spraying Gaga on me said "it's a beautiful fragrance. There you go honey." The Estee counter woman (she's impossibly chic) said it "smells like cheap Juicy Couture velour" (genius!) and offered Azuree as an antidote.
    Wonderful stuff!

Apart from the risk of getting sued off the planet by the Gaga Machine, this has all the makings of an amazing look at perfumery - something like The Fear and Loathing Version of The Perfect Scent.

+ Still no real incense impresions, but I did get a musk-smokey cigarette ash smell from the card and a bit of overrheated electronics cords on skin (the latter sort of near-CDG compelling if had been amped up 4x).
    I noticed that cigarette ash thing, too.....

-A very artificial jasmine stands out similar to Alien
    Very interesting....

-Cheap wine and cigarettes
    - In fact Manischewitz. Yes. That above all.
    I don't remember if I ever got a chance to smell Jasmin et Cigarette, but I'm wondering if this is like some kind of bad version of that well-respected ELDO frag. If I had it, I would jump at the chance to do a side-by-side comparison.

-Is there any truth whatsoever to this push pull technology thing (other than the natural variation most any perfume goes through on any skin)? I see and smell no extant evidence.
    I would say no - no more than the fact that this might just be a lifted term or a neologism for established tech used to predict or manipulate component behaviors. Here's what NST quoted from WWD:

It’s unique because it’s not pyramidal with a top, middle and bottom note. It has a trampoline structure — notes are rising at different rates that are quite random. Some accords will come out if you rub it, other accords will come out later. It has random propulsion and doesn’t have a classic linear drydown. We call it push-pull, and it will smell different on different people. There is a different volatility for different notes, and they’re of differing strengths. They work together harmoniously, but then they undergo metamorphosis on the skin, so you’re constantly surprised.
    My guess is that somebody made some request like "we want it to smell really different on different people." A techie said "No problem." The dubious Gaga person asked how. A technical discussion ensued. The words "push" and "pull" were used to describe the displacement of components in time, or things like fixatives and the effects of components on each other. Voila! New marketspeak is born.

In fact, I used push/pull technology to come up with that specific scenario!

And just in case anybody is wondering, the fake laboratory in these Haus Laboratories ads is even hokier than the one in the famous Scott Galinsky Chanel advert (below). The iron-working tech is absolutely eye-rolling. But I LOVE the artwork of it. Beautiful.

-Sticky.
    Yes! That, too!

Ok, given up then.
    I pretty much have, too, in terms of thinking this might be anything close to what I had secretly hoped. One of the things that really gets me is how it loses what little interesting stuff there is, once it goes from paper to skin. Skin just smears it out into blandsville. Shocking, almost.

Here is the Galinsky video - NSFW!