Code of Conduct

Default Tabac EDC vs Aftershave

Hi All ,

Have recently for the 1st time smelt Tabac aftershave and I love it, Floral but somehow manly as hell and while there seems to be a lot of info on the Edc vs Edt , I have seen no information comparing the EDC and the Aftershave, how do the 2 compare in terms of the scent , do they smell the same or are they very different (as the Edc and Edt are) ? , if they are very different then I will just stick with the aftershave and maybe match it with the deodorant

Also , regarding the EDC , I have heard it being compared with Jovan Musk , how similar are these 2 scents
    Last edited by shoulderpet; 26th November 2012 at 02:29 PM.

Default Re: Tabac EDC vs Aftershave

The a/s and edc (original) are both the same scent to me.

I've got the edt extreme and see that one as so much more herbal that I'd consider it a different scent from the a/s & edc.

I'm not familiar with jovan musk.

thanks for the reply, I will go with the cologne then, always good to have a bit more longevity

The EDC is lovely and well worth having. Cheap as chips too. Will have to try the EDT at some point too.

Basenotes Plus

I really adore the Eau de Cologne...it is the essence of what Tabac, in my opinion, smells like. While the After Shave may have less aromatic compounds, but with a similar scent - the EDT is a rather different scent altogether.

There is really no comparison between Tabac and Jovan Musk for Men. Entirely different notes, structure and vibe. It's like wearing a nice, classic and gentlemanly overcoat versus a tattered and worn-in leather jacket.

I have both in my collection of scents- and in my coat closet.

Cheers.

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    I really adore the Eau de Cologne...it is the essence of what Tabac, in my opinion, smells like. While the After Shave may have less aromatic compounds, but with a similar scent - the EDT is a rather different scent altogether.

There is really no comparison between Tabac and Jovan Musk for Men. Entirely different notes, structure and vibe. It's like wearing a nice, classic and gentlemanly overcoat versus a tattered and worn-in leather jacket.

I have both in my collection of scents- and in my coat closet.

Cheers.

ericrico
    Thanks, that was what i needed to hear, I have Jovan Musk and whilst it is a lovely scent I don't need a fragrance that smells just like it

Basenotes Plus

You're welcome, shoulderpet.

Please note that Tabac (in Eau de Cologne strength) has a very nice barbershop-vibe with aldehydes, lavender, crisp citrus with very nice, powdery jasmine, sharp carnation & pine (in the heart). You will then find sandalwood, moss, clean musk and the nice pinch of tobacco in the base. It warms your skin on the drydown (after a brilliant, vibrant opening and invigorating heart) with amber and tonka bean. Nutshell description. Nothing like Jovan's macho 70's vibe that is old-school Americana-badass juice. I truly enjoy both for what they offer and cannot even compare the two...

Tabac, a scent that has been around since the mid 1950's - and, in my humble opinion, will never be "dated". It is a classic, and therefore, timeless.

Enjoy.

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by shoulderpet View Post
    Thanks, that was what i needed to hear, I have Jovan Musk and whilst it is a lovely scent I don't need a fragrance that smells just like it
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Have ordered the edc , now just got to wait for delivery

Basenotes Plus

Brilliant -

Looking forward to hearing back. Another very nice drugstore scent I would like to point you to is Jovan Sex Appeal for Men. Way outside the realm of notes we have been discussing - and no similarities to Jovan Musk for Men either.

It is a rich concoction of patchouli, spices (baking spices and cloves) with amber. Read the reviews and don't just take my word on it. Yes - it is retro 70's/80's man-scent, but know that it is still a great composition that gets a lot of compliments. I think I detect a hidden note of Horny Goat Weed in there...it is an aphrodisiac! ;-)

Serious juice - jokes aside.

Cheers,

ericrico

Have ordered the edc , now just got to wait for delivery
    Last edited by ericrico; 7th December 2012 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    You're welcome, shoulderpet.

Please note that Tabac (in Eau de Cologne strength) has a very nice barbershop-vibe with aldehydes, lavender, crisp citrus with very nice, powdery jasmine, sharp carnation & pine (in the heart). You will then find sandalwood, moss, clean musk and the nice pinch of tobacco in the base. It warms your skin on the drydown (after a brilliant, vibrant opening and invigorating heart) with amber and tonka bean. Nutshell description. Nothing like Jovan's macho 70's vibe that is old-school Americana-badass juice. I truly enjoy both for what they offer and cannot even compare the two...

Tabac, a scent that has been around since the mid 1950's - and, in my humble opinion, will never be "dated". It is a classic, and therefore, timeless.

Enjoy.

Cheers.

ericrico
    Have received the edc and love it , smells awesome, and swmbo likes it too it has a nice old school vibe with florals, a subtle touch of lemon and a warm tobacco like base, i like it so much that I will probably get the deodorant as well when money permits.
    Ericrico you are right , this smells nothing like Jovan Musk , I detect a hint of lemon as with Jovan but that is it ,i could never mistake one for the other, Jovan is somewhat ruder smelling and less floral (to my nose) than Tabac, Tabac smells somewhat warmer also.

Thanks for the suggestion of Sex Appeal , I had already been considering buying that fragrance so is nice to hear that it is good stuff
    Last edited by shoulderpet; 7th December 2012 at 12:32 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Wonderful shoulderpet!

I am truly glad you found the beauty in Tabac EdC...sounds like you have made a wonderful connection with it already, which will only get better. I find myself reaching for it more often than I thought because of its charm. The brilliance comes in the harmony of this classic aromatic fougere. While there may be a splash of lemon (and even lavender as a shared note) with both, yes, the similarities stop there with Jovan Musk for Men. The aldehydes in Tabac EdC present so nicely in the top that it goes on so brilliantly - they present themselves so differently. Glad you found the tobacco "accord" in there as well. It is not smoky, nor overdone - but a nice warm tobacco leaf/pipe tobacco note that is incorporated into the very nice base. Oakmoss, amber, tonka bean, musk, and "old-school" vanilla (slightly powdery, but adds depth without being too sweet like in today's vanilla notes) compose the rest of the fougere's warm base notes and dry down. Yet, it retains a freshness and barbershop vibe that keeps it from becoming heavy at any point during the wear - so nice. It is a "darling" with so many people here on Basenotes with great taste for a reason!

You are welcome for the suggestion, as well, for Jovan Sex Appeal. I recommend buying Vintage and in splash format. It goes on very different from an atomizer. All of these classic scents, to me, have a different (and more retro/old-school) vibe when applied as a splash from your cupped hand rather than spraying it on.

Good luck and keep in touch, my friend. Enjoy.

Cheers.

ericrico

Have received the edc and love it , smells awesome, and swmbo likes it too it has a nice old school vibe with florals, a subtle touch of lemon and a warm tobacco like base, i like it so much that I will probably get the deodorant as well when money permits.
    Ericrico you are right , this smells nothing like Jovan Musk , I detect a hint of lemon as with Jovan but that is it ,i could never mistake one for the other, Jovan is somewhat ruder smelling and less floral (to my nose) than Tabac, Tabac smells somewhat warmer also.

Thanks for the suggestion of Sex Appeal , I had already been considering buying that fragrance so is nice to hear that it is good stuff

Hi, having now tried a couple of incarnations of tabac original and thought I would post my impressions on the differences. Tabac cologne vs as splash= I get essentially the same scent,the aftershave has perhaps very slightly less citrus and a little more tobacco. Tabac aftershave lotion spray= interestingly this smells quite different from the as splash or the cologne,more tobacco and more leather,almost hilariously masculine and my favourite of the three

I don't sense any similarity with Jovan Musk, however both the EDC and even the aftershave of Tabac Original have almost EDT-like projection and longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I don't sense any similarity with Jovan Musk.
    Same here.

I'm intrigued by Tabac EdC, but many reviews of it mention a pipe tobacco smell, which is one of the last things in the world I would want to smell like, because I always think pipe tobacco has a rather stuffy and unfresh character to it. (the main reason I don't care at all for Hermes Equipage)
    Does anyone think "pipe tobacco" when they smell Tabac EdC?
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Basenotes Plus

arlecchino -

I would say it is more of a dry, tobacco leaf note that I find in Tabac EdC. I adore it. It has a lot of other wonderful notes - aldehydes, nice citrus, neroli, well-blended florals (including smooth lavender & a very nice powdery jasmine with a light rose note), oakmoss, sandalwood, amber, a nice warm musk and the tobacco note. I have tried smelling an additive free pinch of rolling tobacco next to it. Close, but not exact. It is not as strong.

Personally, it is not a strong, overly-dominant note...but one I think that adds wonderful character & depth to the scent.

A classic and timeless...and of excellent quality.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    I'm intrigued by Tabac EdC, but many reviews of it mention a pipe tobacco smell, which is one of the last things in the world I would want to smell like, because I always think pipe tobacco has a rather stuffy and unfresh character to it. (the main reason I don't care at all for Hermes Equipage)

Basenotes Plus

arlecchino -

I would say it is more of a dry, tobacco leaf note that I find in Tabac EdC. I adore it. It has a lot of other wonderful notes - aldehydes, nice citrus, neroli, well-blended florals (including smooth lavender & a very nice powdery jasmine with a light rose note), oakmoss, sandalwood, amber, tonka bean (coumarin) a nice warm musk and the tobacco note. I have tried smelling an additive free pinch of rolling tobacco next to it. Close, but not exact. It is not as strong.

Personally, it is not a strong, overly-dominant note...but one I think that adds wonderful character & depth to the scent.

A classic and timeless...and of excellent quality.

Cheers,

ericrico

Thanks ericrico, I think I'll pick some up and check it out.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Have now got the aftershave balm , this has remarkable longevity for a balm, can get 6 hours longevity easily with this and is strong enough that it can be used on its own as a fragrance

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks ericrico, I think I'll pick some up and check it out.
    Please let us know what you think