Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Is Hypnotic Poison a fragrance that men can really pass off?

I have seen reviews about HP and references being made that it shoud have been the Poison Pour Homme. Is this true? What is so masculine about it? Can you describe the scent please? Comparisons? Thank you.

Default Re: Is Hypnotic Poison a fragrance that men can really pass off?

Dear senore01,

I don't know if there is anything "so" masculine about Hypnotic Poison. However, I've always thought it could be a unisex frag. There is a certain bit of dryness about the scent, plus the mossy notes and the woody notes in the base. What I love about HP is the almonds in the top and the vanilla in the base give it a gourmand edge. Although, not enough to be too candyish. Plus, the combination of jasmine, moss and woods dries down so nicely.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

It's actually Midnight Poison which is refered to as 'Poison pour Homme'.

That said; Hypnotic Poison can be worn by a man, too. Not all men, though,
    it still needs some balls to pull off. I don't see the average Joe wearing it.

---------------
    LeEgoisteNYC?!!

I've worn HP out and I'd say my balls are just standard. It's basically heliotropin you have to get over, i.e. if you can wear Heliotrope by Etra, which I think is categorised as unisex, you'll be ok. Having said that, I was choosy where I wore it to. I actually found Midnight Poison to be much more feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I've worn HP out and I'd say my balls are just standard.
    Haha!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much for the information. Very much appreciated.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hypnotic Poison smells more foody than feminine to me. Could be a Lutens creation. With feminines like HP, if you wear very little of the juice and only apply it to the chest, the perfumeyness should be played down. I find the reformulated, current HP blander than they old, which makes it more masculine maybe. But the older edt was spicier and stronger.

Midnight Poison and Tender Poison smell totally gender neutral to me while classic Poison and Pure Poison are femmey (read: floral), if one actually subscribes to scent gendering. Your attitude and personality are the real determinants!

While I cannot think about any relevant comparisons to other scents (irrespective of their gender), males may wear any fragrance they like indeed. And yes, Hypnotic Poison does have a certain unisex appeal, some notes may even come off as marginally masculine, its sweetness not being excessive, its darker, more mysterious layers of spiciness also having something credible as unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    Tender Poison smell totally gender neutral to me!
    Wow, really?! After Pure, I think Tendre is the most feminine Poison.
    They are the only two with no unisex qualities whatsoever. IMHO!

Now I need to wear some Poison! I would say Midnight Poison is masculine of course, I would choose that one if looking for a masculine. The Elixir version is more concentrated, imo and has a tiny bit of sweet cause of the caramel though not much sweet as it doesn't distract from the patchouli..or make it like Prada Candy in anyway..lol.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Wow, really?! After Pure, I think Tendre is the most feminine Poison.
    They are the only two with no unisex qualities whatsoever. IMHO!
    Well, you are a known Dior expert around here, so I--as a novice-- defer. I think the galbanum and sourishness in Tendre is what made me think neutral, but I haven't smelled it for a little while, so that presumptuous pronouncement was from memory and from a gal (not so good at saying what works on men).

I wore Hypnotic Poison today, VERY lightly, one spritz at each wrist and one between both forearms, and hubby commented that he thought I had spilled some perfume this morning...she has the monster sillage, she does.
    I am a believer in gender bending with fragrances, but I must say that my associations of Hypnotic Poison are primarily feminine. Willing to break my concepts. For instance, I love men in Shalimar.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I would class HP as an uber-feminine scent.
    Leave it for us girls!! (only joking..)
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I think it leans slightly feminine but I've never had any problem pulling this off. Though along with Midnight it would be the only Poison I would wear.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thank you all. I will be purchasing a bottle of Midnight Poison. I will let you know how it goes.

Wore it to work today. Great scent. Had no second thoughts about it. If you're ok wearing DHI, DH, and all those other "male" scents then HP is not far different IMO.

I had Hynotic poison. At first, I fell in love in HP but, when I started to use it, i find that it is too much for me. He is too strong for me, but also he is very feminine frag. I have Pure & Tendre Poison. Tendre is one of my favorit frags , but Hypnotic, he could be a great great frag, but they must do something with him. It is to rough for me.
    eden <3 <3 <3

It is a strong fragrance on me too, but I think it would smell good on a man. I have yet to smell it on one though.

Unrelated, but I smelled Angel Innocent on a guy once and I almost swooned. He smelled so clean.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a strong fragrance on me too, but I think it would smell good on a man. I have yet to smell it on one though.

Unrelated, but I smelled Angel Innocent on a guy once and I almost swooned. He smelled so clean.

I have had a bottle of Hypnotic Poison for a while, just received a bottle of Midnight Poison. Of the two Midnight is the more unisex but Hypnotic is the one I like better. Hypnotic I would wear at home when I'm alone, Midnight I would wear almost anywhere.

I have HP and think a boy could wear it. It's vanillic and almondy but not that sweet. Sometimes t smells like Play-Dough!

Depends on the man if he can "pull it off" but I'd imagine some can (and do!) and it smells quite nice on them.

I was sporting Farenheit the other day, lol. I LOVED it, but I'm not sure I want to smell like that. Still, I couldn't stop sniffing my wrist the entire time I was wearing it (until I started to get nauseous from all the perfume sniffing LOL.) I couldn't decide if I should buy a bottle for myself, or send some to my BF and try to convince him to wear it.