Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Gold Man as every Day scent?

Finally pulled the trigger on AGM. This has a really soapy vibe to me like expensive shaving cream and hand milled French soap. For this reason I guess that it could actually work for daily wear if applied sparingly. Would you concur?

Dependent

Default Re: Amouage Gold Man as every Day scent?

if your comfortable and enjoy the smell and dont over spray wear it all day as long as your happy

I think this is exquisite. Daily wear if you wear a nice suit daily. I wear it with casual clothes sometimes but wouldn't do so daily.

Thanks. I was quite surprised how suitably for wearing it in public I found AGM when I was wearing it for the first time after reading all the reviews on basenotes. I mean it is strong and opulent but I would not consider it particularly offensive compared to other scents on the market.

Absolutely! Wonderful stuff.

My office manager always smiles and says 'Soap!' when I wear it. It's funny how with so much earnest discussion about this one (and it is worthy of discussion - a modern masterpiece IMO) that the actual real world reaction from someone not 'in the know' can be so simple and yet so apt.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 29th August 2012 at 05:10 PM.

I easily can see it as a every day scent. Very bold though.

Basenotes Member

My first niche fragrance around four years ago and always loved it. 1 to 2 sprays absolute maximum with this one though!

Ok now I have to try this. I have a sample here that I haven't used yet that will be applied tomorrow.

Its a great scent, the key is finding a dose which works for you. I think that some (not all) of the folks who dislike this apply too much, you only need a little with this.

Often described as powdery I rather find it like a shimmering haze of buttery rusty metallic jasmine with beautiful frankincense.
    There is nothing else like this in my collection.

Sur la Plage

Sure. Why not?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

AMG is great, so it'll be a pleasure to wear it daily. I don't get soap myself, though.
    Regarding which, I have the shower gel, and it's wonderful as well. Not as rich as the parfum, but great, and, indeed, a little soapy ...

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Thanks. I was quite surprised how suitably for wearing it in public I found AGM when I was wearing it for the first time after reading all the reviews on basenotes. I mean it is strong and opulent but I would not consider it particularly offensive compared to other scents on the market.
    Agreed. It`s no problems to use Gold as a day scent, but it smells so bold and luxurious that I personaly never use Gold without a white iron shirt and tie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    AMG is great, so it'll be a pleasure to wear it daily. I don't get soap myself, though.
    Regarding which, I have the shower gel, and it's wonderful as well. Not as rich as the parfum, but great, and, indeed, a little soapy ...

cacio
    +1. I own Gold man + Dia man shower-gel, and both are very high quality. When I use Gold man showergel it`s only necessary to use one spray of the EDP (under my shirt).

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    That's one of the reasons why I had to buy this scent. I had a sample of the shower gel and found it absolutely irresistible. The second reason is that I crave for civet and since they have removed all the civet from Kouros I had no other choice. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by calilove View Post
    if your comfortable and enjoy the smell and dont over spray wear it all day as long as your happy
    Exactly.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Definitely! I got this for my dad some time ago, as a "special occasion" kind of scent..well..ermmm...he uses it lavishly every day, even now in summer..even though I got him "Reflection" for his bday...even to go to the grocery store...
    you know, I really,truly love that he can pull it off! It smells divine on him.

Why not? Go for it, I say. I'm a fan, but don't wear it regularly (have others I prefer).

I don't get soapy vibe in the slightest though.

Good luck

While this is not for me.....if it works for You that's great!!! Go for it and enjoy!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by dnc View Post
    Why not? Go for it, I say. I'm a fan, but don't wear it regularly (have others I prefer).

I don't get soapy vibe in the slightest though.

Good luck
    It's not a soap you will find in department stores but the one you can buy in large irregularly shaped blocks in the south of France or the one you would find in a expensive Hotel in Paris in 1920.

- - - Updated - - -

After two days of full wearing I can say with absolute confidence that AGM can be worn in puplic on a daily basis without offending anyone. One spray to the chest and my wife says that it smells like a combination of fresh washed clothes, soap and body odour. Very pleasant and inoffensive. So oxymoronically this is almost an anti perfume for me because it will not make you smell perfumed but rather well groomed. It's fantastic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    Ok now I have to try this. I have a sample here that I haven't used yet that will be applied tomorrow.
    So, did you wear it and what's your verdict?
    Last edited by Ender; 31st August 2012 at 04:51 AM.

So, two weaks of wearing AGM on a daily basis and I'm still liking it very much. There have not been any negative comments so far.

I guess that it could actually work for daily wear if applied sparingly. Would you concur?
    Don't see why not.

Well, because many reviewers think that it is loud and offensive and I am a social beeing that cannot allow himself to not worry about what people around me think or feel.

Basenotes Member

I won two 2ml samples from an ebayer for a ridiculously cheap price. Gold was one of the only Amouages that I hadnt already tested at that point so I was expecting something along the lines of Jubilation or Epic. What I got was a big blast of floral old lady perfume and not a lot else. I persevered and after a week I now appreciate it a lot more, especially the biscuity undertones in the dry down. I still can't perceive any incense or resins in this one though. Just lots of flowers and an inoffensive weak civet note in the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Thematt202 View Post
    I was expecting
    And that was your first mistake

Some of the earlier Amouages like Gold & Ubar (and the recent Beloved) are quite opulent in the French style - the line is not all about incense and resins etc. Ciel Man actually leans towards aromatic fougere with an animalic twist.

I'm not a fan of this one, love others in the line. If you like it though, definitely one you can wear daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Thematt202 View Post
    I won two 2ml samples from an ebayer for a ridiculously cheap price. Gold was one of the only Amouages that I hadnt already tested at that point so I was expecting something along the lines of Jubilation or Epic. What I got was a big blast of floral old lady perfume and not a lot else. I persevered and after a week I now appreciate it a lot more, especially the biscuity undertones in the dry down. I still can't perceive any incense or resins in this one though. Just lots of flowers and an inoffensive weak civet note in the base.
    One of the majour achievements of Gold is that it's so well blended and linear that all notes all mix perfectly without anything really standing out. The frankinscense is clearly there but not in your face like in Epic or Jubilation. The civet is quite strong though. For me, Gold is one of the fragrances with the most civet in it. That's one reason I love this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Agreed. It`s no problems to use Gold as a day scent, but it smells so bold and luxurious that I personaly never use Gold without a white iron shirt and tie...
    Agree. As as analogous scent but not that formal due to its less complexity and opulence (and the price tag), I'd go with CM's Jockey Club or Royal Copenhagen - sorry if I may seem unrespectful.

I don't like this fragrance at all to put it mildly, but that aside I don't see this as an every day scent, more like a special occasion scent. But if you feel comfortable wearing it everyday by all means do so...

I envy you. I cannot see myself wearing this outside. It is the most perfumey of all the scents I have experienced so far.

So, did you wear it and what's your verdict?
    The first time I wore this my nose was shocked and appalled. A month or two later on the second try I started to appreciate it. On the third try I really started to like it. After the fourth try I'm teetering on the edge of love and splurging on a bottle of this truly great scent. It does seem the best scents are those that take time to come around on.

Slow on the trigger - and enjoy it!