Code of Conduct

Default So...I bought Nasomatto Black Afgano

When I visited San Francisco in September I stopped by Barneys and sampled many fragrances and I bought several. One that I loved but did not buy was Nasomatto Black Afgano. I wanted a sample but their bottle only had a couple of sprays is left. I was taken back by how unique it was and love the smell on paper but never got a chance to spray it on for a full wearing. last week I got a call from the sales associate letting me know that it was back in stock again. After about 30 seconds of thinking I decided to go ahead and order it. Now that the package has arrived I'm not sure when I should wear this after reading all the reviews about its nuclear silage. I have to admit that I am excited to wear this fragrance but perhaps a little bit intimidated. I would welcome any thoughts on when you wear this if you have it and how people react to it. 24 hours? Really?
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Default Re: So...I bought Nasomatto Black Afgano

I honestly don't get massive projection out of it. And certainly nowhere near 24 hours longevity. But I appear to be in the minority. Nowhere near something like say Le Male on my skin for longevity and projection.

I recently received a decant of this. I don't feel that it nearly as controversial as it's made out to be. Sure it's strong, but no more strong than a Montale Aoud. As for the scent itself, to me it's an oudy Vetiver smell. I don't get any hashish or marijuana at all.

I would think 1-2 sprays would be suitable for all kinds of occasions, even the office.

I think Black Afgano bears a strong resemblance to Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage/French Lover.

My boyfriend has a dabber sample of Black Afgano and with 2 dabs, it wears pretty closely to the skin. Spraying probably increases the sillage, but I agree with JiveHippo -- it didn't strike me as any more nuclear than the Malle or any of the Montales my BF wears (e.g., Patchouli Leaves, Oud Cuir d'Arabie, Blue Amber). He wears all of them to the office, whenever he feels like it.

It's pretty similar to Cuirs but has more depth to it. I get a lot of hazelnut an oud out of it.

You have to be in a good mood to wear it and 1 spray is enough.

The reactions are quite positive even tough I didn't expect that.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    I think Black Afgano bears a strong resemblance to Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage/French Lover.
    And not nearly as good as the Malle IMO.

Dependent

I wore my biker jacket when I tried my sample and it rubbed off on the inside of the sleeves. Two months later, it's still noticeable and rubs off on my arms when I wear it. That is more longevity than I've ever gotten from a frag.

I own both the standard 30 ml perfume bottle and the 4ml oil based bottle .

The fragrance smell is one of my all time favorites.

I use it similarly to Montale oud fragrances : 1 or 2 sprays max.
    It projects for 4 hours and last on my skin about 12 hours.

Many compliments @ office for the amazing smell.

So tell me about the oil. A lot stonger and/or longer lasting?

And thanks to all for your thoughts and opinions!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I had a bottle of it last year. Quite honestly, I never received a compliment while wearing BA. I receive many compliments on other, much cheaper, designer fragrances. B.A., as expensive as it is for 30ml, I expected above average projection and longevity. The scent remained very close to my skin from the beginning. I guess it didn't tango with my skin chemistry very well.

Does this actually smell like hashish?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Does this actually smell like hashish?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    No.
    Yes, the same smell from the Hash before you light it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    So tell me about the oil. A lot stonger and/or longer lasting?

And thanks to all for your thoughts and opinions!
    More natural smell (no sharp notes) , refined , rounded vibes compared to the spray version.
    Oil lasts on skin a little longer , and project little less.
    Much more easy to apply and to control the amount of application.

All in all - I really like the oil version - and since it is so small you can carry it easily in your pocket for re-application 12 hours later
    Last edited by ace11; 28th November 2012 at 06:15 AM.

I wanted a sample but their bottle only had a couple of sprays is left.
    Don't you fellow BN'ers just hate it when that happens???

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to try the range, including this and Absinthe as well. Looks like I'll have to get to Liberty in central London... again!

it's not stinky at least to me, works fine for office work. Has a nice sillage that's interesting not annoying.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    And not nearly as good as the Malle IMO.
    Totally agree with that.

Great fragrance. Like it for the Fall and Winter months. 2 sprays and you're good!

Not a fan of this fragrance.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Musty, thick, (deliberately) unperfectly balanced but hypnotic. The sophistication is at distance ( i mean temporal and logistics). It manages to be at once gothic and hyper modern with a subtle spicy/floral chic spark in the shocking gassy/rubbery (vaguely a la Bulgari Black) atmosphere around. Black Afgano is a naughty fragrance, dense and pungent, who wears it must know is not going to enjoy Knize Ten or Equipage (i mean a masterpiece of balancements) and also in the intentions of the performer Gualtieri the goal was different. This fragrance undergoes the same misunderstandings plaguing A*Men, Joop and many other controverted fragrances which were not performed to pair Patou Pour Homme or Chanel Pour Monsieur. Still one of my most complimented fragrances although not the better appointed. The people is each time more that thrilled and biwildered. My friends and my sister talk about "The fragrance of the bats of the obscure night" and this is the sphere where this concoction must be placed, i mean a controverted and deeply dark fence for modern vampires and new solitary dukes of the metropolitain night. Put apart the hypes and the marketing campaign, that's another debatable concern. The vetiver plays a central role in my opinion, a musky vetiver surrounded by smoke, coffee, hashish, incense and many other elements. Really important to not overapply. Defective for a dinner at Royal Palace this is a nice choice for clubbing and monstrous underground battles.

treeman5823

I can't stand Black Afgano. Entirely unpalatable and incompatible with life itself.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Musty, thick, (deliberately) unperfectly balanced but hypnotic. The sophistication is at distance ( i mean temporal and logistics). It manages to be at once gothic and hyper modern with a subtle spicy/floral chic spark in the shocking gassy/rubbery (vaguely a la Bulgari Black) atmosphere around. Black Afgano is a naughty fragrance, dense and pungent, who wears it must know is not going to enjoy Knize Ten or Equipage (i mean a masterpiece of balancements) and also in the intentions of the performer Gualtieri the goal was different. This fragrance undergoes the same misunderstandings plaguing A*Men, Joop and many other controverted fragrances which were not performed to pair Patou Pour Homme or Chanel Pour Monsieur. Still one of my most complimented fragrances although not the better appointed. The people is each time more that thrilled and bewildered. My friends and my sister talk about "The fragrance of the bats of the obscure night" and this is the sphere where this concoction must be placed, i mean a controverted and deeply dark fence for modern vampires and new solitary dukes of the metropolitain night. Put apart the hypes and the marketing campaign, that's another debatable concern. The vetiver plays a central role in my opinion, a musky vetiver surrounded by smoke, coffee, hashish, incense and many other elements. Really important to not overapply. Defective for a dinner at Royal Palace this is a nice choice for clubbing and monstrous underground battles.
    Superbly described.

I heartily agree, like many controversial fragrances Black Afgano has its time and its place. Just not on my skin nor in my wardrobe.

I think it's a really great fragrance. Imaginative and powerful, it flies in the face of these wimpy crowdpleasers one finds on a mall crawl. But it will take chutzpah I suppose to wear it with confidence... and pull it off.

Many times men say whatever fragrance smells great on me, but they don't have the confidence to wear it themselves.
    To me, this weakness comes from within themselves.

Be Strong!
    Be Brave!
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Basenotes Plus

I think Black Afgano is pretty good. I think it's interesting. It's something I never think of actually wearing out.
    And as I've said in the past it always reminds me of something you'd use to dress a salad.

It doesn't last on me any longer than most EDTs do. I love the smell, but the $185 USD per 30ml is totally out of the question even though it is supposed to be a parfum extrait. I just can't justify a frag at that price that I only get about 3-4 hours of longevity out of.

I'm wearing this now as my scent of the day. A dark smoky dirty incense with a slight cannabis note which I can pick along with that hash resin aroma. The Oud in this seems to give the fragrance a slight freshness within the dirty green smoky scent. It's a very interesting fragrance to be sure.

I don't know about 24 hours longevity. Maybe on clothing, but that would sort of be missing the point. I get a little bit over 12 hours before you really have to dig your nose into your skin.

Its not really any more expensive than most other frags honestly. You get less, but you use less.

I'm thinking Chergui type projection. Its a very thick scent.

I have it. It's a weird but pleasant scent with WMD projection and longevity.

Its on my wish list..never got a chance to test it but I'd definitely buy it sometime!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

I sell decants on Ebay but I'd be happy to do a split or a swap for something interesting - UK or rest of Europe only, please.

At last I got my nerve and wore one spray yesterday. Dry smelling after a while and strong like Black Aoud with one spray. Challenging to wear for sure. But...when I got in the elevator to go get coffee the woman in there said, "you smell really good!" When I got to the coffee shop the woman behind the counter said the same thing before she asked what I wanted. The third peson I met that day also complemented me. This one stands out and will get you noticed! I told the girl at the coffee shop that I had used just one spray and that I was a little worried that I might be projecting too much. Her reply was not to worry and that the smell was incredible. So far this is the most complements I have ever received in the first hour of wearing a fragrance. On me this lasted over 12 hours but was gone for the most part when I went to bed. Will have to review this one someday. Love it!!!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

The oil based Black Afgano fragrance is more controllable. You can apply less and the vibe is less dry and more refined.

I am going to have to consider the oil. Not sure I need both though. Sort of surprised at all the complements on this one...
    Quote Originally Posted by ace11 View Post
    The oil based Black Afgano fragrance is more controllable. You can apply less and the vibe is less dry and more refined.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Most of my fragrance compliments are out of Nasomatto Black Afgano
    (I have and use more that 40 different fragrances)

Got a sample of this last week Thanks to Surrendertochance.com This frag is one of a kind.

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you get the oil based from?

Interesting. I understand why some people don't like to wear this one. It is certainly not your everyday scent and challenges the wearer, but it sure seems like a crowd pleaser given all the complements I got yesterday from it. Modern and gothic at the same time. Not your typical department store frag! And that is good. :-)
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Interesting. I understand why some people don't like to wear this one. It is certainly not your everyday scent and challenges the wearer, but it sure seems like a crowd pleaser given all the complements I got yesterday from it.
    Most of my fragrance compliments are out of Nasomatto Black Afgano
    (I have and use more that 40 different fragrances)
    The same question for both of you: Are the compliments primarily from men, women, both? Ages? I'd love any thoughts you have to share on how Black Afgano appeals to others. I'm quite curious! Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

Will have to review this one someday. Love it!!!
    Yes! Please do.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I have just worn this once and that was yesterday. The lady in the elevator was in her 60s. The coffee shop girl was mid 20s. The third was a receptionist in her mid 40s. All I can think is that this is not your typical cologne. Not many people wear fragrances around here and those that do wear what I would consider safe designer department store scents. They sort of just smell nice to most people. Black Afgano is certainly not typical. I need to wear it more to be honest to figure this one out. Frags do turn sweet on me I am told so I search for scents with a bit of a dirty edge.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Only from women ... all various ages.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Like it for the Fall and Winter months. 2 sprays and you're good!
    Now that's what I call longevity !

Bad times guys...

This was my SOTD today, and i couldnt wait to get home and take a shower. I've worn this a few other times, and it didn't have this effect on me. I pretty much knew i made a mistake as soon as i left the house.

I did 1 tiny half spray on each arm. Thats IT! I've been smelling it for like 14 hours non stop. I actually thought i was going to vomit at one point. Its got this cloying sweet incense smell that was really driving me nuts.

I can still smell it after my shower...I just tried to rub it off with lemon, and its even more obnoxious now lol. bad idea.

The worst part is that i don't know if i'll be able to ever wear it again. I know i'm going to remember that vomit feeling if i even THINK of spraying it again. Same thing happened to me with encre noire.

Anyone else get nausea from this?

When I visited San Francisco in September I stopped by Barneys and sampled many fragrances and I bought several. One that I loved but did not buy was Nasomatto Black Afgano. I wanted a sample but their bottle only had a couple of sprays is left. I was taken back by how unique it was and love the smell on paper but never got a chance to spray it on for a full wearing. last week I got a call from the sales associate letting me know that it was back in stock again. After about 30 seconds of thinking I decided to go ahead and order it. Now that the package has arrived I'm not sure when I should wear this after reading all the reviews about its nuclear silage. I have to admit that I am excited to wear this fragrance but perhaps a little bit intimidated. I would welcome any thoughts on when you wear this if you have it and how people react to it. 24 hours? Really?
    If you wear Dior Leather Oud as I see in your list of fragrance, you should not be intimidated by Black Afghano at all. I find Dior's Leather Oud less wearable than BA.

I tried last week at Barney's . I definitely smell raw hashish . I sprayed on my wrist. It lasted 12 hours. The spray on the paper lasted 48 hours. It is on my list for next purchase, especially that you got a lot of compliments

Bought a decant from palmbeach split. Can't wait to get in mail.

- - - Updated - - -

Bought decant from split. Can't wait to get it

- - - Updated - - -

Bought decant from split. Can't wait to get it.