Code of Conduct

Default I find Slumberhouse's Sova to be extreme cloying

I got a sample of Slumberhouse's Sova today, and oh my gosh it is really cloying to me. It really projects, and my nose just cringes. The actual scent isn't bad, it's actually quite interesting. It's just it projects so much, and there is one note that is extremely cloying and I just cannot stand it.

Does anyone else think the same way?

Default Re: I find Slumberhouse's Sova to be extreme cloying

I found all of the Slumberhouse scents to be way to strong. Half were scrubbers and the other half were below average IMO.

Sova was the scent I ordered from Slumberhouse in February when Josh was reorganizing.
    It is a very sweet scent, I love it, but I can see how it could be too much for some.
    BTW, Josh included a gratis full-size Pear + Olive because it took a bit longer for my order
    to be fulfilled. Excellent customer service!
    I smell marshmallows!

Some Slumberhouse fragrances are quite nice, but most of them are far to heavy-handed to be enjoyable to me.

The ones I've tried from this house through unsolicited samples sent with purchases have been OK but nothing I personally would consider buying.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I love this house and this scent, so much that I got a back up bottle... the key with this is one spray, preferably to the chest under a shirt, but I have also sprayed on one wrist that I then rubbed on the other wrist and dabbed here and there, that works well too.... hope you come to appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    I found all of the Slumberhouse scents to be way to strong. Half were scrubbers and the other half were below average IMO.
    I can wear any of them either.

Interesting because I don't find any of them cloying, unwearable or too strong!

Sova is a great trip every time and honestly, the whole line never disappoints me. They are all wearable and enjoyable for me.

I think that I'd give it some more time and some more sampling. Give your senses time to adjust and time to get used to fragrance materials that you are not likely used to. There are some different things used in these formulas than the standard aroma chemicals that most people are accustomed to.

I love Sova and bought a bottle when I heard it was to be discontinued. It is my favorite of Josh's creations (that I have tried) and I don't find it cloying at all. One spray to the chest and one to the forearm, both under the shirt, and I get to enjoy it all day.

Sova was my least favorite of the four I've tried so far. Cloying and strong, yes, but it also smelled too similar to curry to be wearable for me. Curry is good, but I don't want it wafting around me all day.

Of course, it's always wise to hang on to samples for a while; something you dislike today may become a favorite someday, and you'll be glad you still have the sample to smell again.

The all-spice, gingerbread spices in Sova are overpowering. I am very happy with my bottle of Jeke. I also like Ore, but it is flawed to me (cannot put it precisely - yet).

Sova's definitely the divisive one!

I love it though -- boozy hops, hay, and filthy, animalic beeswax all the way! It's not cloying at all me, but it is very strong (it's made from extremely expensive and rare absolutes, hence the power). A single spray, occasionally two is all I need.

Basenotes Member ben_from_boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
    I got a sample of Slumberhouse's Sova today, and oh my gosh it is really cloying to me. It really projects, and my nose just cringes. The actual scent isn't bad, it's actually quite interesting. It's just it projects so much, and there is one note that is extremely cloying and I just cannot stand it.

Does anyone else think the same way?
    same exact experience here.

Cloying is not a word that has ever come to my mind in respect of Sova - the range is unusual and adventurous 'though and those aspects may be part of the appeal to many.
    Sova is actually very cosy & comforting sort of scent to me - no jarringly artificial clashes leap out, which is often a problem for me these days and this indicates an expert and imaginative blender at work.
    I can understand how these would not have a universal appeal.

Ore is the one I prefer in that line.

Basenotes Institution

This is so on my radar, for a FB ((hand on the trigger))
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Sova is my favorite scent of all time. The Extrait is much better than the EDP was, and is actually the only scent I own that I have a backup bottle of.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    I'm trying Pear and Olive ​now. It is really not my cuppa tea. Plastic hand soap is all I'm getting. And I can't wash it off! Even my husband objected to it as soon as he walked into the room. Not a good sign.

Sova smells like burning plastic with some sweetness thrown in for good{?} measure!

Basenotes Institution

So I went to Los Angeles last week and it was my intention to pick up a bottle of Sova at Scent Bar while I was there, since they still had some bottles left (they had them on their website just days ago). And when I got there, they were all gone. I almost cried when the guy told me.

-- Jack Kerouac

Aw, condolences mikeperez23 - it seems to be sold out over here as well now.

Basenotes Institution

UPDATE:

A little birdie here on Basenotes gave me a tip and I was able to get a bottle of Sova. It just arrived today.

I am so excited I could spit.

!!!!!!!

-- Jack Kerouac

Congrats, Mike - they're very comfortable to wear imo

Congrats Mike, it's a very well done fragrance. Now, you need to get your hands on the new Slumberhouse Vikt before it's gone...licorice/sandalwood/oud.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    UPDATE:

A little birdie here on Basenotes gave me a tip and I was able to get a bottle of Sova. It just arrived today.

!!!!!!!

Can you still buy Vikt?
    It's no longer available over here & I think that D.I. posted something somewhere the other week.
    It's oos on the website.
    Last edited by lpp; 11th February 2014 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Can you still buy Vikt?
    It's no longer available over here & I think that D.I. posted something somewhere the other week.
    It's oos on the website.
    Vikt seems to be in stock at Parfum1.com. They have code now http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...ntil-2-14-2014 and do some shipping overseas.

Yes, sorry. To clarity, it's still on Parfum1 and Indiescents.

not cloying at all... just extremely potent.
    i am still trying to figure out the scents by this house. since i spray on hair, that stickiness and coloring made norne useless for me before even wondering if i like it. as of now i prefer ore to sova, and debate on getting jeke.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Congrats Mike, it's a very well done fragrance. Now, you need to get your hands on the new Slumberhouse Vikt before it's gone...licorice/sandalwood/oud.
    Thanks.

I have a 'new' sample of Vikt I also just got - I want to give it a couple wearings before I decide, since I am only familiar with Vikt in the EdP.

-- Jack Kerouac

UPDATE:

!!!!!!!
    Great news Mike! Sova is outstanding and like you, I am very glad I was able to get a bottle before it disappeared for good.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Can you still buy Vikt?
    It's oos on the website.
    The distributors bought up the last of the stock. So it's no longer available through SH, but you should be able to grab one of the last few bottles this way.

Ah, thanks, D.I.

I am late to the post party on this I know but, Sova is gone? Just got a sample back in December only to now realize its amazingness and that I can no longer purchase it after much searching. Please tell me it will be rereleased at some point. Cloy me with Sova, Slumberhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by sudo_ View Post
    I am late to the post party on this I know but, Sova is gone? Just got a sample back in December only to now realize its amazingness and that I can no longer purchase it after much searching. Please tell me it will be rereleased at some point. Cloy me with Sova, Slumberhouse.
    Indeed, it was discontinued not too long ago. The materials stopped being available, so Josh was pretty much forced to no longer make it. I'm glad I got myself a back up bottle though, as it's my favorite scent.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    Great news Mike! Sova is outstanding and like you, I am very glad I was able to get a bottle before it disappeared for good.
    Thanks.

It's starting to warm up in Miami, so I might only get a few more wearings out of it before I have to put it away until next Autumn. It's not the kind of scent I can wear in the heat here.

-- Jack Kerouac

Not sure this post will have much usefulness other than my sharing the joy of finding something truly great, something I had been searching for and thought was gone forever, and then miraculously, by accident...

I had a sample of Sova and I figured I would get around to ordering it soon enough but then I found out here that the fragrance I had grown to love had been discontinued. I scoured the web, even eBay but no luck.

I was chasing Sova like a ghost around the internet, it appeared I would just have to settle on some alternative. But just last week I was looking on LuckyScent just to purchase Pear + Olive and some other scents, I had given up on finding Sova, but I saw a Sova link, figuring it was a remnant of the past, sure to be sold out. I clicked on it anyway and it was listed as in stock. Holy carp, I ordered 2 immediately fully expecting it to be some mistake and be refunded for both.

A few days later I got a response back and there was one in stock... did I want it? Yes I did, in stock in April of 2014 at the last place I would expect it, in plain sight. Miracles do happen, and it can happen to you too. My favorite fragrance find in the past decade, maybe ever. If you own it, treasure this gem.

*Edited for readability
    Last edited by sudo_; 9th April 2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: added paragraphs

^ Congrats! It's one my favorites as well, and I stocked up when it was discontinued. It really is a jaw-droppingly good scent.

Basenotes Institution

I know crazy that Luckyscent has it back in stock. I was in their store, in January, and they were like 'we don't have any!' Guess somebody replenished their supply or they found some old stock.

-- Jack Kerouac

I really wanted to like SOVA, and i sort of do, but not until many, MANY hours into the drydown. The description of this frag, plus the "hops" note really piqued my interest so i ordered a sample. Unfortuntely for me, i find the opening (if you can call the first 5 HOURS and opening), is just too dry and overly MUSTY. Musty like an empty old hay storage house with a mildew problem fills with old washrags long overdue for the laundry bin. Alas, this phase lasts a good 5 hours on me until that effect subsides enough to let the wonderful sweet, spiced cake phase set in. This part of the drydown is the best part, alas, it takes WAYYY too long to get to and while i can be patient, thats longer than a "cologne's age".

Quote Originally Posted by JonF View Post
    I really wanted to like SOVA, and i sort of do, but not until many, MANY hours into the drydown. The description of this frag, plus the "hops" note really piqued my interest so i ordered a sample. Unfortuntely for me, i find the opening (if you can call the first 5 HOURS and opening), is just too dry and overly MUSTY. Musty like an empty old hay storage house with a mildew problem fills with old washrags long overdue for the laundry bin. Alas, this phase lasts a good 5 hours on me until that effect subsides enough to let the wonderful sweet, spiced cake phase set in. This part of the drydown is the best part, alas, it takes WAYYY too long to get to and while i can be patient, thats longer than a "cologne's age".
    So very strange how different our perceptions can be. My wife and I get a pretty straight forward "apple pie", "bakery", or as you mentioned..."spiced cake" vibe from this right from the start. Never any musty anything for me.

So you're saying that you detect zero, zip, zilch of the dry, dusty hay notes?

I'm speaking of Sova when it first came out in Fall of 2012. I think it was re-worked after that release to come what it is today.

From the Fall 12' version of Sova...What is got is an animalic sweet honeycomb smeared in dampened hay and laid over soot. Overall, a great scent. Probably one of the best to come so far from Slumberhouse in all honesty. Unfortunately, there was a single note that didn't sit well with me and I had to trade my bottle away after testing and being bothered by the particular note and even getting a headache. To this day I'm not really sure what the note was.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    So very strange how different our perceptions can be. My wife and I get a pretty straight forward "apple pie", "bakery", or as you mentioned..."spiced cake" vibe from this right from the start. Never any musty anything for me.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 3 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

So you're saying that you detect zero, zip, zilch of the dry, dusty hay notes?
    I can pick up the hay and the honey if I pay close attention. But the overall scent of it is what I'm speaking of. Those notes don't translate to me that way as a whole unless I'm focused in and looking for them.
    Last edited by cwill; 9th April 2014 at 07:58 PM.

Musty like an empty old hay storage house with a mildew problem fills with old washrags long overdue for the laundry bin.
    Drool.

Basenotes Institution

I love the musty facets of Sova. Still, it's too thick for me to wear in hot weather. It is strictly for Autumn/Winter weather for me.

-- Jack Kerouac

I love the musty facets of Sova. Still, it's too thick for me to wear in hot weather. It is strictly for Autumn/Winter weather for me.
    This is what is great about living in the Northeast US. We have like four months where wearing Sova or any Slumberhouse is inappropriate weather wise.