Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Noir = Prada Amber pour Homme Intense?

I'm trying my Prada sample for the first time. While wearing samples, I'll read over reviews on that frag to see what I agree with and what I don't. On Fragrantica, seven people claimed that it reminded them of Tom Ford Noir.

Here, it seems like BNers like Prada, but TF Noir hasn't received much love...and I've definitely not seen anyone compare the two of them. I haven't tried Noir yet. Any thoughts?
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Default Re: Tom Ford Noir = Prada Amber pour Homme Intense?

Prada Intense is an absolutely gorgeous scent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElzuZSCsRsk

Blog Entries

I love (and own) both of these scents, and I agree - I think they are very similar. Both scents seem characteristic of their respective houses - the Prada has the soapy iris thing that all the Prada "Infusion/Amber" scents share, and TF Noir has several "dark" accords ripped out of Extreme and Black Orchid. But that being said, both of them have plenty of novelties, such as the surging patchouli in the Prada, and the skanky and fruity/candy aspects of TF Noir.

A lot of people have compared TF Noir to Habit Rouge, and I can kind of see a resemblance in the powdery aspect, but in so many ways, TF Noir seems much more modern.

I *love* the way both scents border on the powerhouse masculines of yore, yet feel very current.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I love (and own) both of these scents, and I agree - I think they are very similar. Both scents seem characteristic of their respective houses - the Prada has the soapy iris thing that all the Prada "Infusion/Amber" scents share, and TF Noir has several "dark" accords ripped out of Extreme and Black Orchid. But that being said, both of them have plenty of novelties, such as the surging patchouli in the Prada, and the skanky and fruity/candy aspects of TF Noir.

A lot of people have compared TF Noir to Habit Rouge, and I can kind of see a resemblance in the powdery aspect, but in so many ways, TF Noir seems much more modern.

I *love* the way both scents border on the powerhouse masculines of yore, yet feel very current.
    I am very surprised to see TF Noir compared to Habit Rouge. I consider Habit Rouge a masterpiece and TF Noir unwearable.

I've seen TF Noir compared to a few other fragrances--Habit Rouge, Shalimar, and now Prada Amber pour Homme Intense. In every case, I'm just not seeing it. I can somewhat see the connection to the two Guerlain scents insofar as they're all powdery. But to me that seems like saying Encre Noire is just like Terre d'Hermes because they've both got prominent vetiver notes. Honestly, I don't see the comparison to the Prada scent at all. (I am sometimes baffled at the comparisons they make at fragrantica, TBH.)
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

I just recently tested Prada intense and I am liking it a lot so far.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Tom Ford Noir = Burberry Brit.

IMO, Tom Ford Noir is a little brother of Noir De Noir and Prada Amber Intense is something totally different. Strange that reviewers would think that. Everyone's sense of smell is different, so I guess that's the reason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    I am very surprised to see TF Noir compared to Habit Rouge. I consider Habit Rouge a masterpiece and TF Noir unwearable.
    I was kinda surprised, too, but I had the difference turned around!

Not completely true. I also think HR is a masterpiece, but it's just not for me. TF Noir is a crime noir-style masterpiece, and I need a few of those, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    LOL! Actually I can see the parallel aspects, and they really are there, but the rest - LOL! About the same as HR for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    IMO, Tom Ford Noir is a little brother of Noir De Noir and Prada Amber Intense is something totally different. Strange that reviewers would think that. Everyone's sense of smell is different, so I guess that's the reason.
    I agree - TF Noir really does come across like that!

I'm baffled at anyone who can't detect the huge similarities between Amber Pour Homme Intense and TF Noir. They have a LOT in common.

Guerlainista

When I tested Noir, I got the similarity to Habit Rouge only in the heart. The opening is totally different - Noir doesn't have the big sparkly citrus up front. I don't remember what it was like - just that I thought it had a clumsy, musty component that just didn't work (on me anyway - I can't believe it was meant to smell that way). The bases are very different too. It's just that period from about 15 minutes to 2 hours that there are some echoes of HR in Noir.
    I don't know the Prada. I have Brit and I don't see anything there, but I don't wear Brit much these days.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Thank you! finally someone sees what I am saying! Tom Ford Noir has some similarity to Prada Amber Intense but not much, it is however extremely similar to Burberry Brit.. It is just better quality and more refined..

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    IMO, Tom Ford Noir is a little brother of Noir De Noir..
    I remember getting bashed for daring to suggest this when TF Noir first came out
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

:
    So true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I remember getting bashed for daring to suggest this when TF Noir first came out
    Poor devil but you are right!

I totally see the connection to both Habit Rouge in terms of that warm powder side, and then the Prada Amber Intense with the dark smokey patchouli but clean side. I find Habit Rouge has much more citrus and some funk/BO undertones that Noir doesn't have and the Prada is much sharper and opens up in layers whereas the Noir is smoother. There's even a bit of Rive Gauche IMO there with the spices and creamy barbershop side. Actually, IMO I think TF Noir might really be a modern take on Rive Gauche PH...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

They are both very similar even Katy Puckrik in her review of Noir, said so. I personally find the drydown in Noir much better though, the drydown in Amber Intense is a sickly powdery drydown, The powdery drydown in Noir, is more Guerlainade.

Being the TF Noir fanboy here (signature scent + backups), if you put a gun to my head I would compare them this way...

Prada PH Intense (myrrh) = TF Noir EdP (civet,opoponax,styrax)
    Burberry Brit (ginger, various spicy notes) = TF Noir EdT (various unidentified spices)

I would also agree with those who say that this is Tom's Habit Rouge & the comparisons to Noir de Noir.

BTW I haven't mentioned it anywhere, because I'm waiting for the hudler thread on this very subject, but the Eau de Toilette was utter crap. Synthetically spicy, it had that cosmetic gloss that allowed me to scratch that of my list, to better focus my resources on the Eau de Parfum.

As I have said before, I'm afraid that the EdT will be the solution to a soon to be phased out/reformulated EdP, following the recent restrictions on opoponax & styrax of last July. I knew that an animalic designer release was too good to be true in this day and age, so I suggest those who would be interested in this fragrance in the future, to look for formulations prior to July 2013.

These would include batch codes: C * * Oct2012 / B * * / A * * April2013
    Last edited by Arij; 27th November 2013 at 09:11 PM.

TF Noir EDP is hardly an animalic release, the civet in it is hardly there.
    TF signature fragrances never get phased out, only his PB line ones do. TF Noir actually sells very well, he aimed this scent for the mature crowd and it worked.
    The note list in Noir, is so massive a reformulation would actually do it good. With the styrax restriction, Absolue pour Soir will have to be reformulated for sure.

To me Tom Ford Noir is the stripped down version of Prada Amber Intense. Which is why I like it better than Prada's offering.

It makes me think of an old school, high end, barbershop with big expensive leather couches.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    TF Noir EDP is hardly an animalic release, the civet in it is hardly there.
    That might be arguable, if we aren't to compare it to vintage formulations prior to civet restrictions (ie; Obsession), or niche offerings (ie; Leather Oud).

The point that I am trying to make though, is that sweet creamy base will disappear with the dilution of opoponax and styrax in this composition. It would become what is offered by the EdT, which as I have mentioned, would prefer to pass on.

Going from favorite/signature scent to a pass, is a big deal IMHO.

Noir is nowhere near as good as the Prada.

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post
    That might be arguable, if we aren't to compare it to vintage formulations prior to civet restrictions (ie; Obsession), or niche offerings (ie; Leather Oud).

The point that I am trying to make though, is that sweet creamy base will disappear with the dilution of opoponax and styrax in this composition. It would become what is offered by the EdT, which as I have mentioned, would prefer to pass on.

Going from favorite/signature scent to a pass, is a big deal IMHO.
    Firstly its not natural civet is not used in fragrances now (since the 90s), civetone is used in fragrances. The new IFRA regulations mostly apply to resins and absolutes. Civet was not taken out of fragrances because of IFRA, it has happened because many companies feel that it is a dated note and also most of the general populus consist mainly of Johnny Aquatics or Sweety ambery fragrances. I have several fragrances with civet. The current formulations of Leather Oud and RIEN by ELDO both have plenty of civet, I purchased both this year.

Tom Ford Noir Prada Amber pour Homme Intense

for swap/sale:

I agree with rubegon and master-classter. It is in the middle that TF Noir EDP is a dead ringer for Habit Rouge. Noir has a smell like those Parma Violet sweets to start with, very different from the Sherbet Lemons in HR (but since they are both classic sweets from childhood, this might be someone's idea of an in joke). The base has had all the challenging, funky notes of HR toned right down to mere accents. But the scent signature of HR is still there, that powdery floral accord that is, somehow, at the same time buttery, which for me is always what made HR interesting, how you could have those two accords that shouldn't work together but somehow do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    That is crazy, the first time I sprayed Noir , I immediately thought to myself that it was a clone of Brit.. It is very powdery and sweer just like Brit.. It is just way better quality but still basically the same type of smell.. I guess Prada Amber Intense might have a little similarity but not much.. PAPHI is very dark and has a completely different scent it is not powdery at all, I think PAPHI smells more like Gucci Envy than Noir.. When i hear Noir being compared to Habit Rouge I just started laughing .. Noir and Habit Rough have absolutely no similarity.. That would be like saying Light Blue is similar to M7 .. I dont get it!