Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Thoughts on Longevity/Projection;Sillage

When I first started "collecting" fragrances, my biggest obsession was longevity. I wanted something that lasted DAYS! I fell in love with Montale House. As I have "matured" I can appreciate more fleeting fragrances, and ones that "sit politely on the skin" I still like to be able to smell them at least 6 hours later. When I spent $160 on a bottle of something, I want to smell it a while. Houses like Penhaligon's and Heeley have wonderful offerings, but I can't shell out the money for a fleeting sniff. Am I still "not getting it?"

Sound Scents

Default Re: Thoughts on Longevity/Projection;Sillage

Your expectations are hardly unreasonable on all counts, IMO, and I am sure most folks feel the same way.

In my case, projection is unimportant (assuming it is not so minimal that even I can't smell the scent) as I don't care if others can smell my daily fragrance as long as I can... Longevity is certainly important to me, as if the scent disappears, then no one is smelling it, me or otherwise... Luckily about 90% of scents that I try do not have issues in that area on my skin as it seems to soak up scents.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

The one category of perfumes where longevity should not be desirable is the traditional eau de cologne recipe, which is intended to be a fleeting moment of fun. For the others, it is very desirable. But my skin is dry and eats perfumes, so I often do not get that much. But clothes keep frags well.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    But my skin is dry and eats perfumes, so I often do not get that much. But clothes keep frags well.

cacio
    This is the same problem I suffer with, my skin eats up many of my fragrances, this is why I always spray one or two shots to my shirt.

In regards to projection, I'm with drseid, as long as I can smell the perfume throughout the day, I am perfectly fine. If projection was my main concern, I would be missing out on some great fragrances.

I agree that longevity is more important than projection.

I also have issues with my skin, as most fragrances disappear for awhile. That's why I always make sure to do a test run on perfumes whether or not it will last on my skin. Perfumes that disappear after 30mins - 2 hours are not worth adding to my collection.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Medium longevity is best.

The problem with fragrances with very high longevity is that you can still smell them the next morning, and you have to apply your next fragrance knowing that it might layer with the fragrance you applied yesterday.

Also, I tend to wear 2 different colognes a day. One for the morning and early afternoon. The other for the night.

I don't want to go out at night with the same cologne I wore in the morning, or go out wearing 2 colognes.

I don't think you're being unreasonable. During the day, I want a frag that will last for the duration of work (or close to it). At night, I don't need it to last that long. I want something to go 6-8 hours in the day, 3-5 hours at night...especially if I'm dishing out that kind of money on a scent.

Basically, I decide WHY I want it (what will be its purpose when I wear it), and if it doesn't live up to its purpose, I won't pay the money to get it.....even if I really, really like it (see: The One and Cologne Noire by Van Cleef & Arpels).
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    When I first started "collecting" fragrances, my biggest obsession was longevity. I wanted something that lasted DAYS! I fell in love with Montale House. As I have "matured" I can appreciate more fleeting fragrances, and ones that "sit politely on the skin" I still like to be able to smell them at least 6 hours later. When I spent $160 on a bottle of something, I want to smell it a while. Houses like Penhaligon's and Heeley have wonderful offerings, but I can't shell out the money for a fleeting sniff. Am I still "not getting it?"
    Although I don't feel the same, many people experience the same thing as you and would agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Medium longevity is best.

The problem with fragrances with very high longevity is that you can still smell them the next morning, and you have to apply your next fragrance knowing that it might layer with the fragrance you applied yesterday.
    Shower dude

Longevity is really the only one that I care about at all, and even there I don't care much - four hours is plenty for me, and a shorter survival time is perfectly acceptable if I love the fragrance.

Depending on the fragrance, projection and sillage can be a negative--I most often wear fragrance just for me. Once in a while, I like to wear a serious femme fatale or flower bomb fragrance and let it be smelled, but I can get that by applying another spray or two; I'm happier if the first spray doesn't project past my personal space.

Longevity is the 2nd most important criteria for me, right after the scent itself. If I can't smell a scent for at least a few hours, it's not something I want.
    Good projection is nice to a point, and I don't care about sillage whatsoever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Longevity is the 2nd most important criteria for me, right after the scent itself. If I can't smell a scent for at least a few hours, it's not something I want.
    Good projection is nice to a point, and I don't care about sillage whatsoever.
    I really don't care much about Sillage, in fact if I am "trailing" a fragrance it may mean I have it on too thick. BUT I need it to last. I found if it doesn't last all day on me, it won't last 2hrs. Not much middle road. Penhalligon's and Heeley won't last even 2hrs, so why spend the money? I don't need 24hr monster longevity for everything, but I work hard for my money and I am not going to throw it away on a bottle of water with a little hint of smell
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales