Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: WOW!!! WOW!!! Must try line: Imaginary Authors from Portland, Oregon

Got my samples today which is insanely fast. This guy has one heck of a talent. I sampled Bulls Blood, Memoirs of a Trespasser, The Cobra and the canary, and he sent me Voilet Disguise free. This guy let me tell ya he is first class all the way including what looks like thin book marks that are all done up with the story plot of the fragrance and even a spot to spray the fragrance to test on. I love Memoirs of a Trespasser and The Cobra and the Canary. Everyone should check this guy out.

Default Re: WOW!!! WOW!!! Must try line: Imaginary Authors from Portland, Oregon

Josh is having a sale on bottles of Memoirs of a Trespasser, $68 for one week only (regularly $85).

I too tried this line. Caricatures of fragrance. And that is all I'm saying.

Figures, there goes more of my money, haha. I'm surprised though that they are having a sale right now, would have been better served to have done it during the Thanksgiving hysteria shopping in the states. The more I wear Memoirs, the more it is becoming my favorite in the line. I do love C&C, but it gets rather linear and there's not much discovery going on.

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    Josh is having a sale on bottles of Memoirs of a Trespasser, $68 for one week only (regularly $85).
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Dependent

Josh sent me a lovely package with a variation of Bull's Blood today. I am comparing it with the commercial release side-by-side and while the beginning is warmer and more animalic (civet), the drydown is more woody and less buttery -- less castoreum to my nose. Interesting! I'll have to do a full wearing.

Really? Do I need to be less grouchy about this line? I haven't eaten since breakfast, so that could be a problem.

Just a quick follow-up. I purchased Memoirs and Bull's Blood back when Memoirs was on sale, and I'm really happy with my purchases. Bull's Blood is something I haven't worn frequently so far, as it makes quite a strong statement. I'm glad I bought it, though, and have enjoyed it when I have worn it. It's a bit like Givenchy Gentleman on steroids. Memoirs I'm finding extremely wearable and pleasant. It's not a challenging scent - just a very, very well done woodsy vanilla. I'm not usually one for vanilla, or gourmands in general, but this one is really nice! Josh also sent me another sample of Canary and the Cobra. I still think it smells like the interior of an expensive car, but it's starting to grow on me. I like it better now that the cold weather is here.... and Brian, yes, I think you do need to eat breakfast and give these another try. :-)

Nice to see another fan of the line and its understandable if not everyone cares for Imaginary Authors, the scents are pretty linear and that's not for everyone. I do enjoy that there are a variety of fragrances for everyone from those that lean feminine, florals, green, aquatic, and also some interesting compositions that can be challenging, primarily Bull's Blood.

Also Josh let me know he is working on some scents for the coming year, I know I'm looking forward to more of his designs.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Quote Originally Posted by RunSun View Post
    Nice to see another fan of the line and its understandable if not everyone cares for Imaginary Authors, the scents are pretty linear and that's not for everyone. I do enjoy that there are a variety of fragrances for everyone from those that lean feminine, florals, green, aquatic, and also some interesting compositions that can be challenging, primarily Bull's Blood.

Also Josh let me know he is working on some scents for the coming year, I know I'm looking forward to more of his designs.
    Yes, he told me that, too. He mentioned one that is a "dirty lime" fragrance. I'm looking forward to trying the new ones next year as well.

Blog Entries

l have just added all of these to the directory. They may take time to appear, but keep your eyes peeled...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks for adding them and another note, Josh tends to put a fragrance on sale every few months or so. So, it helps to join his newsletter if you are interested in the lineup.

Right now he has L'Orchidee Terrible on sale for $68, normally $85, I'm guessing primarily for Valentine's Day sales.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for adding them and another note, Josh tends to put a fragrance on sale every few months or so. So, it helps to join his newsletter if you are interested in the lineup.

Right now he has L'Orchidee Terrible on sale for $68, normally $85, I'm guessing primarily for Valentine's Day sales.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Yea! I'll keep my eyes peeled for their appearance in the directory. I'm really enjoying my bottles of Bull's Blood and Memoirs of a Trespasser.

About these new lines that emerge from the creative Oregon or some other place... who wouldn't enjoy some creativity in fragrances (with creativity I mainly refer to the idea behind the fragrance), but in the end creating fragrances is not so much about creativity. It's more about expertise, experience and patience. For me, it's about the small details and intricate balance, not about throwing together stuff that isn't usually used together and thus wowing the perfume lovers for a while. Many new niche houses are certainly more about intriguing concepts than meticulous blending. Concept fragrances with slack blending keep me interested exactly one time.

I just listed my top 25 or so fragrances in my mind and realized, that every one of them is made by an experienced perfumer, most of them have had a formal education. No amount of talent can replace this. It would be great if these creative minds would take their time to really master the techniques - and also take their time to finish their creations. Most new niche houses make atleast three times more fragrances than they should.

Lorenzo Villoresi once said that he is not an artist, but an artisan. This is very healthy and fruitful approach for a perfumer.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    About these new lines that emerge from the creative Oregon or some other place... who wouldn't enjoy some creativity in fragrances (with creativity I mainly refer to the idea behind the fragrance), but in the end creating fragrances is not so much about creativity. It's more about expertise, experience and patience. For me, it's about the small details and intricate balance, not about throwing together stuff that isn't usually used together and thus wowing the perfume lovers for a while. Many new niche houses are certainly more about intriguing concepts than meticulous blending. Concept fragrances with slack blending keep me interested exactly one time.

I just listed my top 25 or so fragrances in my mind and realized, that every one of them is made by an experienced perfumer, most of them have had a formal education. No amount of talent can replace this. It would be great if these creative minds would take their time to really master the techniques - and also take their time to finish their creations. Most new niche houses make atleast three times more fragrances than they should.

Lorenzo Villoresi once said that he is not an artist, but an artisan. This is very healthy and fruitful approach for a perfumer.
    Have you tried this house's offerings or is this just random soapbox pontification? Ironically, I believe Villoresi got some of the same criticism you are offering when he first started. There also seems to be some geographical snobbery afoot in the phrase "the creative Oregon or some other place." I'm guessing the "some other place" doesn't include Paris.

I tried them all and whilst I salute this concept and the whole idea behind it, I can not see myself wearing any of them anytime soon. If my memory is good, the only two that I liked were Memoirs of a Trespasser and Violet Disguise. These two were the most wearable of the seven, but even so I can hardly imagine someone who does not have some experience with this side of the niche to actually appreciate them. The other five were too Pentachords-like.

Just a random soapbox po...pointi... thing. I'm talking about a trend. This is wrong thread for this, because by placing it here I'm implicitely directing my post to this house, which I didn't mean to do. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post

Random soapboxing or not, in my opinion, much of what is wrong with this line is described here. There is a general trend for people to simply call themselves something and think that they are. This is not just true of perfumers--it's in every profession. But to my nose, these scents are derivative. Within minutes, they completely fall apart into very unpleasant chemical miasmas The craft is absent. Historical concept is absent. They are actually offensive to me.

I didn't want to go into this detail because I hope he keeps working at it and gets to the point where the craft is there. But he has a very long ways to go.

- - - Updated - - -

It is probably worth noting that many of the early Slumberhouse creations were similarly trainwrecky. In fact, I don't think Slumberhouse was really making good fragrances until last year. We'll see if this guy has what it takes to pull himself out of this. I'm always happy to be proven wrong.

When I received these, I had very low expectations because I just received a bunch of Slumberhouse samples. Did I hate them? No, but I certainly wasn't buying into all of the hype they were receiving. I found them, for the most part, challenging but not something I would really wear in public. Even Norne leaves me feeling like my under arms are emitting tree sap and that a squirrel is about to run up my pant leg at any moment. The samples have, for the most part, remained in their pouch with the occasional whiff to see if I have obtained any enlightenment or not. That being said, it didn't surprise me to read that Josh was working on more "wearable" creations as the Slumberhouse offerings, for me to date, are the epitome of "niche".

So my expectations were fairly low when these samples arrived and I found them to be quite a contrast. Contrary to Brian's opinion, I didn't find them derivative. Derivative comes in a bottle with "CK" on it - and these are not that. They certainly do have a more mainstream feel than Slumberhouse, but honestly, there's no reason to compare the two lines as there's nothing else in common other than two guys named Josh living in Oregon.

Do I still feel as excited about the line? I do still think strongly of both Trespasser and Cobra the fact they seemed to come out of left field with little to no hype perhaps left the most impression - one that has me looking forward to seeing what else he can tap with his potential.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    They certainly do have a more mainstream feel than Slumberhouse, but honestly, there's no reason to compare the two lines as there's nothing else in common other than two guys named Josh living in Oregon.
    I drew the parallel because they are both self-taught.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    But to my nose, these scents are derivative.
    Please tell me what you've encountered that is anything like Bull's Blood! Would love to explore that type of aromatic sandalwood musk thing more.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Please tell me what you've encountered that is anything like Bull's Blood! Would love to explore that type of aromatic sandalwood musk thing more.
    It's been awhile since I tried that one on, but I don't really get sandalwood from it. Maybe Ebanol and some shrill woody dry thing like Norlimbanol. The musk had an herbal quality that I think was maybe the more promising part of the concept, but the rest of it was so piercing and unbalanced that it was hard not to scrub it off. If I wanted something like this but actually well composed I would probably start with Musk Tonkin and Leather Oud.

"Derivative" was probably not the best choice of words because I'm not sure they were made with an awareness of what came before. "Unoriginal" may have been a better choice. The others in the line mostly involve saccharine vanillic bases with an uninventive combination of notes on top. I know the scent maker here is fond of saying that his concept of telling stories is a new one, but I'm sorry, hasn't Shalimar told this story before? I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he works in a vacuum and doesn't know/care. This goes back to the culture of deciding that you are going to be something, whether it be a perfumer or anything else, without training, without doing the work, without context. The results are generally not good.

I think there is a good idea in Bull's Blood. I just wish he'd waited until he could have made it better and maybe released just one good scent instead of a half dozen crappy ones.

Dependent

It's been awhile since I tried that one on, but I don't really get sandalwood from it.
    Well I doubt it's Mysore, but when I sampled it, the first thing I said was "lots of sandalwood." Josh was surprised and said that I'm right, but no one else had ever noticed it before.

Musc Tonkin does have a slight similarity, but it's kind of aquatic and seems to skip over the woods, which is what I find interesting about BB.

Do you really think this line is good, MB? Sincerely? E.g. you would recommend that people buy bottles of it?

Re: sandalwood, to me it smells like a bad sandalwood reconstruction. Real sandalwood tends to come out in the far end of the drydown, and I'll be honest, I was not that patient with it.

Dependent

Do you really think this line is good, MB? Sincerely? E.g. you would recommend that people buy bottles of it?
    I must say the other releases besides Bull's Blood are not to my taste.

I tend not to make recommendations in general, since as I know from experience, perfume tastes are extremely subjective.

I think you are also a unique customer in that many of the alternatives to Bulls Blood probably contain your Kryptonite. I can see why it would hold some appeal.

- - - Updated - - -

There is yet another self-taught perfume line from the NW called Phoenicia. Has anyone tried these? The story is rather intriguing.

Thanks for the rundown on the different scents! Just placed an order for two samples.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Thanks for the rundown on the different scents! Just placed an order for two samples.
    If you want to smell the whole line and you're in the general vicinity of Manhattan, let me know. I have the whole pack.

If you want to smell the whole line and you're in the general vicinity of Manhattan, let me know. I have the whole pack.
    Much appreciate the generous offer! If I'm blown away by the samples I get I just might take you up on your offer.

Dependent

There is yet another self-taught perfume line from the NW called Phoenicia. Has anyone tried these? The story is rather intriguing.
    Looks like it's a real hotbed all of a sudden. Got a link?