Code of Conduct

Default similar to yatagan?

An odd question...I know, since yatagan is basically a beautiful trainwreck.

I'm not advanced enough to figure out exactly what i like about yatagan, but I love it. I like how dry it is and I also enjoy the leafy/green aspect...then it settles with that on top of musk/leather, adding another dimension. So...I suppose I like the green, woody, dry, bitter, and leather?

I have somewhat odd taste if that background helps. I really prefer smells that are dry (is that even the right descriptive here?) rather than sweet and cloying. I also am not a fan of marine scents at all. Don't really like citrus, either.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: similar to yatagan?

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange is very similar to Yatagan. Also if you like "dry" try some of the frags from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, such as Santal Nobile, Route du Vetiver, and Parfum d'Habit; All excellent!

Nothing really compares to YATAGAN, I was fortunate to obtain a Vintage splash bottle from ebay. Not to go on a tangent here but I converted this splash bottle into a spray by replacing the cap with the sprayer of Marc Jacobs Fig (Big Bottle) that sucker screwed right on, and it fit and sprayed per f e ct ly!
    Last edited by EarNoseThroat; 23rd June 2012 at 04:03 AM.

Yatagan is one of a kind but, as long as you don't expect something EXACTLY similar, you might want to give a chance to Eloge Du Traitre. Other fragrances worth checking out are Jules by Dior which shares with Yatagan the same lived-in / green vibe and Esencia which is more like Yatagan after an hair-cut.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I have a feeling you might really like Homme de Gres.

Devin.

Agree with others that Yatagan is pretty unique.

There's nothing quite like it, but given what you've said about your taste, I agree with FullCollapse's recommendation that you look into the MPG line. I would also suggest Lorenzo Villoresi as a line you might want to explore. In direct answer to your question, though, I'd say Mazzolari Mazzolari is Yataganesque.

It's somewhat different, but for dry + green you can also check Bandit by Piguet. It is a bitter green leather. The leather aspect is however much stronger in Bandit, since the very beginning. For a dry leather, without green, but with plenty of animalics, there's Etat Libre d'Orange Rien.

cacio

Yatagan is dry and bitter green forest notes with castoreum and woods in the base for that very dry finish. Nothing is exactly like it, but there are many that have the same kind of themes going on. Cuir by Mona di Orio is the same kind of profile only with dry leather in the opening and castoreum also in the base. They have the same feel but Cuir is more leathery and little wilder - but I like it for the same reasons I like Yatagan.

If what you like about Yatagan is the dry bitter green notes then I would recommend Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles (for the pine incense), Eau de Italie Bois de Ombrie (boozy forest), Or Black by Pascal Morabito (mossy green dark leather), Pohadka by Ys Yuzac (plum dark tobacco) and last but not least Artisan Black by John Varvatos (had to drop 1 designer name). Edit: added these as an afterthought - Norne by Slumberhouse is surprisingly close to Yatagan, but is more palatable. A fresher take on the same green notes is Dirty for Men by Lush Body Spray.

Summary of recommendations for smells "similar to yatagan":

Pohadka, Ys Yuzac
    Artisan Black, Varvatos
    Bois de Ombrie, Eau de Italie
    Cuir, Les Nombres del Or, Mona di Orio
    Or Black, Pascal Morabito
    Slumberhouse Norne
    Dirty for Men body spray
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 21st June 2012 at 03:51 PM.

Guys, thanks so much for all the help! As y'all have stated, Yatagan is inimitable, so I'm not looking for a copycat, but something that is somewhat similar in notes. Now that it's not 3 AM, perhaps I can clarify a little more. I like how "green" and "earthy" Yatagan it, but it's also dry in the sense of being opposite to sweet. It also has some woody elements that are dry in the sense of not being wet, but I don't mind wet greeny scents...just not sweet. Bitter is good in my book, I suppose. Lastly, I also love how complex it is...hence what I meant by a beautiful trainwreck.

I actually love leather scents. Not similar to Yatagan at all, but my favorite leathers are probably SMN Peau d'espagne (so it seems like I do like that astringent medicinal note...as Yatagan has a bit of that, too) and Knize Ten. I'm not a huge floral guy, but I like the way florals work with a leather basenote (K10). I have tried others such as SL Cuir Mauresque, Cuir Ottoman, and Montale Aoud Cuir d'arabie and found them to be too sweet. The latter was the best of the three by far and I quite enjoyed it actually...but not enough to buy a bottle. The spiciness is intriguing but not what I want from a frag I'd drop $150+ for. Not like Yatagan again, but I've been told by others to try Dark Aoud and Black Musk..

I found Polo to be pleasant, but the patchouli scent was a little overbearing. So I guess too spicy/refreshing in that sense?

Haven't tried most of the other recommendations so I'm going to take a look and see if I can order some samples from TPC later. Thanks again!

Eloge Du Traître by Etat Libre d'Orange is very similar to Yatagan. Both Grains de Plaisir by MPG and Philéas by Nina Ricci remind of Yatagan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    It's somewhat different, but for dry + green you can also check Bandit by Piguet. It is a bitter green leather. The leather aspect is however much stronger in Bandit, since the very beginning. For a dry leather, without green, but with plenty of animalics, there's Etat Libre d'Orange Rien.

cacio
    Actually have tried that. Am I braindead or is there more than one Bandit? I came out of it smelling a sweet creamy scent with a heavy leathery base..not bitter at all?! I remember how surprised I was in comparison to descriptives I'd read previously...it was way too feminine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Yatagan is dry and bitter green forest notes with castoreum and woods in the base for that very dry finish. Nothing is exactly like it, but there are many that have the same kind of themes going on. Cuir by Mona di Orio is the same kind of profile only with dry leather in the opening and castoreum also in the base. They have the same feel but Cuir is more leathery and little wilder - but I like it for the same reasons I like Yatagan.

If what you like about Yatagan is the dry bitter green notes then I would recommend Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles (for the pine incense), Eau de Italie Bois de Ombrie (boozy forest), Or Black by Pascal Morabito (mossy green dark leather), Pohadka by Ys Yuzac (plum dark tobacco) and last but not least Artisan Black by John Varvatos (had to drop 1 designer name).

Summary of recommendations for smells "similar to yatagan":

Pohadka, Ys Yuzac
    Artisan Black, Varvatos
    Bois de Ombrie, Eau de Italie
    Cuir, Les Nombres del Or, Mona di Orio
    Or Black, Pascal Morabito
    Wow Or Black sounds right up my alley...and I've always drifted towards darker, more mysterious fragrances...so that's something I definitely have to try out!

Cuir by Mona di Ori sounds incredible, as well. I think I'll have another winner from all of y'alls recs.

I actually have a bottle of JV regular I got as a gift that I use from time to time. It opens great but then the vanilla and creaminess annoys me after a while. I think it's a solid unoffensive frag...1st date material. Not what Yatagan is lol.

Andy:

interesting that you find Bandit sweet. It has been reformulated in recent years, I haven't smelled the older version, but my understanding is that it was sharper. As usual, some of us are more sensitive to certain notes. After all, you find Aoud cuir d'arabie sweet too - and that's usually considered pretty dark (still in Montale, there's Leather aoud as well, which is just pure leather, but I find it less rich and satisfying than cuir d'Arabie). If any, I find more sweetness in Knize Ten - not that I would call it sweet by any means, but there are ambers there to soften the gasoline leather.

An extremely bitter scent is the candle/parfum d'ambiance Vetiver de Java by Parfums de Nicolai. Regrettably, there's no corresponding perfume, it's only for the room (and yes, I tried spraying the parfum d'ambiance on me, but it doesn't work, too rough).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Andy:

interesting that you find Bandit sweet. It has been reformulated in recent years, I haven't smelled the older version, but my understanding is that it was sharper. As usual, some of us are more sensitive to certain notes. After all, you find Aoud cuir d'arabie sweet too - and that's usually considered pretty dark (still in Montale, there's Leather aoud as well, which is just pure leather, but I find it less rich and satisfying than cuir d'Arabie). If any, I find more sweetness in Knize Ten - not that I would call it sweet by any means, but there are ambers there to soften the gasoline leather.

An extremely bitter scent is the candle/parfum d'ambiance Vetiver de Java by Parfums de Nicolai. Regrettably, there's no corresponding perfume, it's only for the room (and yes, I tried spraying the parfum d'ambiance on me, but it doesn't work, too rough).

cacio
    Thanks for the reply, bro. I can't say my nose is very refined and that is part of why Yatagan is so interesting to me. Yes, it isn't the NICEST smelling thing out there, but it's so complex that you get a little whiff here or there of something new that comes out every now and then. It's unique.

I got a sample of Bandit from the perfumed court a year or two ago. I still have a little left, I believe...I'll give it another whirl in the next couple of days. My nose has developed some, so maybe it'll smell different. I do remember remarking that I'd be seductively attracted to a girl wearing Bandit lol..

I actually agree that K10 is sweeter than Cuir d'Arabie...I think there is some sentimental explanation to my affinity for K10. One of my dad's close family friends when I was growing up always wore it...I asked him what it was years later and it brings me back to my childhood (I'm in my 20s so it's actually interesting that this gentleman wore K10, as it wasn't exactly reflective of the generation). I do have a liking for the floral leathers (and looking at some of these frags today, it seems like castoreum is a common strong note amongst what I like) for some reason. This doesn't fit my age group at all but I also find Van Cleef & Arpels to be incredible..I love it. I can't wear it every day given my age, though, it seems.

Another for Devin...rough leathery green.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I just recently got a bottle of Yatagan, still haven't made peace with it, I don't get much outside of the celery seed vibe, it's very vegetal for me, pretty much a kitchen smell, fascinating, still not sure I want to smell like it regularly though. I did notice there is some similarity to Ferre for Man, which is a little vegetal, but not quite as dry, it's a slightly more floral version of Yatagan, worth checking out.

I just recently got a bottle of Yatagan, still haven't made peace with it, I don't get much outside of the celery seed vibe, it's very vegetal for me, pretty much a kitchen smell, fascinating, still not sure I want to smell like it regularly though. I did notice there is some similarity to Ferre for Man, which is a little vegetal, but not quite as dry, it's a slightly more floral version of Yatagan, worth checking out.

Not exactly similar but also falls in the category of manly mid 80's frags: MCM Success

Thanks for all the suggestions, again, guys! Just placed a large order of samples from the court...

Montales (unrelated to this thread but I haven't gotten a chance to smell these yet): Black Aoud, Dark Aoud, Black Musk

Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or Cuir
    Etat Libre d'Orange Eloge du Traitre
    Dior Jules
    MPG: Racine, Route de Vetiver, Santal Noble, Parfum Habit

Ugh, I forgot a couple of y'alls recommendations that I really wanted to try, like Or Black. Another time, though. Way too scatter-brained sometimes haha...I'll definitely make another thread with my thoughts when these come in. I'm also going to blind buy Devin I'm pretty sure...read thru some reviews just now and it sounds like just what I want...

Dependent

The OP was a bit vague whether he wanted something that "smells like" the Yat, or "resembles the descriptors" of Yat, which are two very different things. The latter is very wide, the former quite narrow, so I'll just mention here the fragrance which smells the closest to Yatagan of any I have tried:

CSP Barbier des Iles

It's hard to come by but if you ever get the chance to try Romeo Gigli's discontinued Sud Est I think you'd find it quite to your liking. If I'm not mistaken it may have been reintroduced but I've not tried the newer version so look for the vintage stuff.

One Man Show, if nobody has mentioned it yet.

Banned

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange.

Muscs Koublai Khan - different genre, yet I feel it might appeal.
    Hascish Homme - actually quite simillar to Yatagan

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    It's hard to come by but if you ever get the chance to try Romeo Gigli's discontinued Sud Est I think you'd find it quite to your liking. If I'm not mistaken it may have been reintroduced but I've not tried the newer version so look for the vintage stuff.
    wore this the other day and also got a bit of resemblance, especially in the opening. the drydown is much more musky. and the longevity?

30 HOURS ON SKIN

I dont think any fragrance would match even a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by surileo View Post
    I dont think any fragrance would match even a bit.
    Sorry, but I would have to disagree here. There are two that I find very similar to Yatagan.
    The first is Lancetti Uomo. It's discontinued, but still easy, (and not expensive) to find on the net. The one I mean is in a an grey/green box. The top part of the box is darker grey and there is a design of gold lines between the light grey and dark grey.
    The other similar fragrance to my nose is the first Copains (mens) in a very dark blue coloured box. Both of these are every bit as forbidding as Yakatan. I find all three very interesting fragrances, but for me ultimately unwearable because of their strength. I would say that Lancetti Uomo is the closer of the two.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Phileas reminds me strongly of Yatagan.

Les Copains Homme is a dead ringer.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Phileas reminds me strongly of Yatagan.

Les Copains Homme is a dead ringer.
    Phileas only shares the celery imo, not much else.

Les Copains otoh is nearly identical -- just slightly rounder/milder/less resinous. I might not be able to tell which was which unless side by side.