Code of Conduct

Default Allyl Cyclohexyl Propionate - HELP!

Hey all,

I am working on a very simple accord of just three ingredients: lavender, Allyl Cyclohexyl Propionate, and Dihydromyrcenol.

When I combine the ingredients in such a way that I like the scent (3 lav, 5 allyl, 10 DHM) I have a problem: when I apply this to the skin the allyl stands out as so sweet it is painful - but without that quantity I don't get the right scent on a smelling strip or in the container.

Is this a chemical (Allyl Cyclohexyl Propionate) that will fade down to blend nicely in this proportion once it has rested for a month or two or is it a case where I am going to have to try a million more variations of quantity to see if I can rectify it before I put it down to rest?

I have checked out Allyl Cyclohexyl Propionate on Good Scents and it runs the gamut from being 1/10 the proportion of DHM to almost the same proportion so it seems it is obviously okay to use in high quantities...

Default Re: Allyl Cyclohexyl Propionate - HELP!

Depends on the type of fragrance you want, and it depends where you want to smell it. You should always evaluate a fragrance in exactly the way you want to use it. If you are unhappy with this fragrance on smelling strip, and want to use it on a smelling strip, then reduce the amount of Allyl Cyclohexyl Propionate. If you are happy with the fragrance on skin, and have made it to be worn on skin, then leave it as it is. Obvious really; and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Depends on the type of fragrance you want, and it depends where you want to smell it. You should always evaluate a fragrance in exactly the way you want to use it. If you are unhappy with this fragrance on smelling strip, and want to use it on a smelling strip, then reduce the amount of Allyl Cyclohexyl Propionate. If you are happy with the fragrance on skin, and have made it to be worn on skin, then leave it as it is. Obvious really; and simple.
    You are right - this is obvious I guess I wanted to know whether to expect a considerable change in the resting so that the fragrance on the skin would be more like the fragrance on the smelling stick.

After letting everything rest overnight I am back to the drawing board today - I am really just trying to modify the lavender and the quantities of DHM and ACP I am using are ridiculously high. Time to try again! I am keeping a chart of all the mixes and my reactions. I'll get there in the end!

I hope you always keep a record of every "mix"you make. It is vital that every formula and every trial be noted, so that you can learn from your mistakes and build upon your successes.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    I hope you always keep a record of every "mix"you make. It is vital that every formula and every trial be noted, so that you can learn from your mistakes and build upon your successes.
    I do indeed - I have a drawer full of mistakes and a single success so far (success in terms of an entire fragrance).

Actually, when I make the last and final iteration of my success (an orris base scent) I was hoping that some of you guys might be willing for me to send you a sample to comment on. I am just waiting on an order of a few robertet items I need for it so I can make a larger batch for using.

Incidentally, 4% of Allyl cyclohexyl propionate in the total lavender accord seemed to do the trick in the end. The fruitiness is there with none of the stickiness.
    Last edited by jfrater; 12th May 2015 at 07:19 PM.