14 14.29%
  • bad

3 3.06%
  • very bad

1 1.02%
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Mugler Cologne (2001, for men)

I just got this one in the mail and I like it. Easily one of my favorites from Thierry Mugler, next to Pure Malt.

A soapy clean "irish-spring" opening with grassy vetiver undercurrents. This is the scent for people who like vetiver, but don't want something as potent as a Tom Ford scent.

If I had to compare it to one designer fragrance, I'd compare it to Eau Fraiche by Versace (since they both have a clean citrus top with a woody base beneath), but I'd say Mugler Cologne does it much better than Eau Fraiche. I hear this is similar to Original Vetiver by Creed. But I haven't tried OV yet.

It's not ostensibly memorable, but in subtle ways, it does what most fresh fragrances try to do, but much better. Subtlety matters, as there are a ton of fresh scents, but they just smell like alcohol and cheap floral notes.

It's well-priced at $40 for a medium-sized bottle. It is versatile (you can where it any possible place that you can think of). It's a clean scent for those times that you don't want to smell musky or like a guy whose wearing way too much cologne. This is safe, and perfect for a job interview or work (if you decide to wear cologne). I don't imagine this offending anyone, as long as you don't spray too much.

It's gotten a lot of acclaim on this forum, especially from the people who collect a lot of niche.

For those who haven't heard of this, I recommend you sample this one. This is a staple in even the most diverse collection.

What are your thoughts on it?

I rated it "very good".

---

EDIT:

Honestly, Mugler Cologne is not as safe as people say it is. There is still that shrill neroli opening and that grainy vetiver background that can be headache inducing to some people. For some, it does remind them of soap. For others, it will be way too chemical.

It's a good fragrance but don't be fooled into thinking this is a fragrance for people who don't want to smell like cologne.
    Last edited by noirdrakkar; 2nd April 2013 at 04:23 PM.

Default Re: Mugler Cologne (2001, for men)

Would also rate it very good.

I have to try this one. I have OV, would be very interested to know how similar it's on my skin, because lot of people compare them.

Very Good from me as well. Others complain about longevity, but I get at least 8 hrs. Practically identical to OV and at a drastically lower cost.

Great, and it was my SOTD yesterday.

This was the fragrance that got me hooked on fragrances. If it weren't for the fact that it's sold at Macy's for virtually the same price as other, more popular designer fragrances, people would classify it as niche. I get a full day's worth of wear out of 2-3 spritzes.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Good, esp in summer, just not terribly exciting.

Very good. I have the 300ml bottle- My gym scent.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Excelent cologne, I use at least 15 sprays to fulfill my desires of longevity and sillage with this one.
    Brilliant stuff, ultra clean, soft but with character.

Very fresh and inoffensive like you said. Very enjoyable.

- - - Updated - - -

Very fresh and inoffensive like you said. Very enjoyable.

I'd rate it "very good" as well. It's not mind-blowing, but it's something that can be worn pretty much by anyone in any situation and never offend anyone else. It's the true definition of a unisex fragrance, because of this, IMO. On my skin, I found it to develop slightly more feminine, and for some reason, just couldn't bring myself to wear it all that often, so I swapped my 100 ml. There are still times when I wouldn't mind giving it a sniff, but I don't really regret it, as I was able to swap it for some TDH parfum, which I enjoy much more.

Sound Scents

It is excellent.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Good.
    I got it some time ago but it never get's any wearing, outside of my own home.

A great cologne. Essential bottle to have in collection like a pair of khaki.

One of my absolute favorites and will always be in my collection.

Also, people often compare Original Vetiver to Mugler Cologne yet I love Mugler Cologne and I can't stand Original Vetiver
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Banned
    Blog Entries

just when i thought mugler cologne was the safest thing in creation.

i casually asked someone i knew what they thought and they said it was the 2nd worst cologne they ever smelled.

that it smelled like witch hazel and rubbing alcohol, like a wound treating fluid.

imo its a very good spring summer fragrance

Great!

Good scent.
    VERY SUMMER
    Too much colone essence for meh!

It is really a really good fragrance

Dependent

There's nothing quite like it and I think it's a desert island scent. I see the cost has drifted down. On my wish list. Been awhile since I owned a bottle. Great! Very satisfying and uplifting. Potent sillage and better than average longevity. I'm intrigued by those who say that Creed's Original Vetiver is similar to this. That's something I must try.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 30th November 2012 at 09:40 AM.

Nice, clean, mainstream and reliable.

The woman on the Mugler display at Bluewater told me it's being deleted next year - so better stock up.. if it's true.

GREAT!!!

This is my favorite Mugler fragrance and it was my most worn for Spring/Summer 2012, as well as being one of my comfort scents.

This is one that will always be a part of my fragrance collection without a doubt!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    The woman on the Mugler display at Bluewater told me it's being deleted next year - so better stock up.. if it's true.
    No way they would delete this wonderful fragrance. If they did, I would most definitely make it my first ever backup bottle because I need this stuff in my life. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    No way they would delete this wonderful fragrance. If they did, I would most definitely make it my first ever backup bottle because I need this stuff in my life. Lol
    The sales assistant was adamant it was due for discontinuation.

The sales assistant was adamant it was due for discontinuation.
    Wow! This is obsurd! I can understand that many would not be intrigued by a fresh soap scent, thus resulting in minimum sales.

I actually find it quite unpleasing and rate it "bad." It walks the line of too boring to give attention to and ever so mildly disgusting.

I get that it's easy to wear and barely there, just to me that's a negative.

I voted 'very good' I actually cannot tell the difference between this and Creed OV when wearing one on each wrist.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice to see a fellow Bluewater shopper ;-)

Great! It comes at a very good price point too.

Bought this and Gendarme in the 10oz bath sized bottles LOL. I rated it very good: its not a stunner but it is well above average.

I have to admit I'm not a big fan which kind of surprised me since I'm usually a fan of so-called barbershop scents.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

I really like Mugler Cologne, but this blog post has spoiled it a bit for me:
    http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...r-cologne.html

This is why I prefer OV over Mugler Cologne. OV is a bit darker and it smells more complex to me.

In my opinion, good to very good.

While subjectively I might lack the possibility, the comprehension, the preference, the insight etc. to see it as perfect, still a solidly trustworthy scent in terms of legit versatility, elegance, freshness, cleanliness and overall tolerability.

I voted great

It does what it's suppose to do at the highest level. It ticks all the boxes

original vetiver is worth a try
    the difference is only noticed in a side by side comparison
    with OV being the better
    smoother, less synthetic, richer
    Current Top 10
    1) Royal Oud
    2) Aventus
    3) La Nuit De L'homme EDP
    4) L'eau D'issey
    5) Terre D'hermes
    6) Burberry London
    7) MI
    8) Le Male
    9) Pure Malt
    10) GIT

To me it is just ok. I like Original Vetiver quite a bit more. OV is a lot less astringent than Mugler cologne. If you are looking for a soapy fragrance that is very inexpensive go for Mugler. If you want a soapy fragrance that has more depth and a less synthetic feel go for Original Vetiver.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

As an aside, this frag was the second fragrance in Chandler Burr's blind-smelling project.

For an extended discussion of this fragrance by folks who had no idea what it was at the time of sniffing, see this thread :

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...ntitled-S01E02

Epic fragrance that wears extraordinarily well on the skin. It's always one of my favorites and the bottle is getting low.

This is one of my staples; I wear it every summer. I live in fear of it being discontinued, since I haven't found anything else quite like it.

It's a little bit on the synthetic side for my taste. Is Infusion d'Homme smoother/better?

I got bored of Mugler Cologne and sold it. Still hanging onto Infusion d'Homme which I think is a superior scent.

My limited experience of Mugler is also an impression of its being too artificial. Infusion d'Homme is the real deal, a low-key and luxurious scent I can wear at work just for me. It functions mostly as a skin scent with a clean soapy vibe.

TF Neroli Portofino very poor cousin!

I just got a shower gel sample in the mail and its heavenly. I haven't tried the cologne spray yet, but I'm def buying.

What outside is called neroli it is just a orange flower i smell all the time here in Brazil. But only reminds it, because mugler cologne is synthetic. It´s synthetic, but good enough for a casual wear, when i don´t want to think much about what i am wearing. Not a unique one either.

Quote Originally Posted by Suux88 View Post
    original vetiver is worth a try
    the difference is only noticed in a side by side comparison
    with OV being the better
    smoother, less synthetic, richer
    I have to say that I absolutely disagree with this. I love OV and can't stand Mugler. I guarantee I would pick the difference immediately blindfolded.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci