Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default a problem with like-nuetral-dislike

This is the rating system of Basenotes. I doubt it will be changed, and judged on this site's success, I doubt changing it would be the top priority, but I do have one problem with grading fragrances on this.

There are plenty of times when a person would write a review about them liking a scent, but it's not like it's something they would wear regularly or enthusiastically recommend.

So, let's say fragrance A is 150 positive, 25 nuetral, 25 negative
    And fragrance B is 110 positive, 40 nuetral and 30 negative.

Does this mean fragrance A is has higher approval throughout the community?

What if 30 out of the 150 for A were "very positive". And 50 out of the 110 were "very positive"?

Then the whole context would change.

Another fragrance website for example has a love-like-dislike rating to distinguish the difference between generally approving of the fragrance and being crazy about it.

Of course, even if there were a "very positive" option, everyone has their own way of grading things and someone's standards for a like may equal someone else's standards for a nuetral.

Default Re: a problem with like-nuetral-dislike

It's not perfect but it works for me as I tend to pay more attention to the reviews from respected basenoters than the tally of thumbs up/down etc.

Banned
    Blog Entries

true it's the quality rather than quantity.

i'd take one good informative review over a table of ratings.

It serves its purpose even with limitations.

It is always very difficult to find your way among all these ratings. I guess it does not have a big effect on strong minded people like me. First I read all of them and try to have a general idea about the scent. There are some Basenoters which has a lot of reviews, so that at least I know a bit what they like and what they don't like. So this helps me more: sometimes I know that I don't have to buy a certain scent maybe just give it a try. But for some other scents it is always my nose and senses that makes the decision, because I can not figure it out juts by the reviews.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

The system works fine as long as you don't obsess over fragrance rankings or scores. Anyway the only review that matters in the end is your own.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 2nd December 2012 at 03:13 PM.

Since there is no, e.g. 1-10 rating, I'd roughly estimate a scent ranked as 1-4 from a total of ten being about negative, 5-7 from a total of ten, about neutral and 8-10 from a total of ten, about positive.

Of course, there is no science and no exact mathematic principal behind this, but this is how I strictly personally approximate ratings, whenever I think they could be a bit more detailed.