Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: cologne at a job interview

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely! My employer will love my 4 sprays of Kouros.

2 1.87%
  • Recommended. It should be fine if it's not too strong.

18 16.82%
  • It's not a sin, but be VERY VERY careful with what you spray.

59 55.14%
  • Never wear cologne at a job interview, EVER.

28 26.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: cologne at a job interview

Wear fragrance for yourself, not for others. Just wear what you like....j/k

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Here in the UK loads of people wear fragrances and the chances are the interviewers will be as well especially if they are women. If you choose a subtle/light non offensive frag then I see no problem. Wearing Kouros to a interview though is not cool.lol
    I agree. We have to acknowledge cultural differences. To me, it says the candidate has made an effort to present themselves well. Choking amounts of A*Men etc would not be wise, however.
    Currently wearing: The Dreamer by Versace

don't do it...just don't.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Basenotes Member

You can try platinum egoiste, it's pretty safe

VERY VERY few sprays of non-offensive and safe scents would be fine I think, like:
    Versace PH
    Creed MI
    Cool Water
    LIDGPH
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

^haha LIDG...probably only in Iran.

Nevertheless I also think its ok as long you're not overpowering and being discreet.

Basenotes Plus

I probably wouldn't use a scent for an interview but.....if I really wanted to it would be a single spray to the side of the neck of YSL Rive Gauche an hour before. I cannot conceive of anyone being offended by that one, it is simply fresh and clean.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Here in the UK loads of people wear fragrances and the chances are the interviewers will be as well especially if they are women. If you choose a subtle/light non offensive frag then I see no problem. Wearing Kouros to a interview though is not cool.lol
    Same in Denmark, as far as I have heard and experienced.

If you have the credentials and present yourself properly during the interview I can not see where a job would not hire you.

I say that to say I would wear a fragrance such as

Mugler Cologne or Prada Amber Pour Homme to a interview. These two scents are very inoffensive and will come off pleasant to anyone in my mind.

I wore Azzaro PH for my latest job interview and I got the job

Quote Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
    I probably wouldn't use a scent for an interview but.....if I really wanted to it would be a single spray to the side of the neck of YSL Rive Gauche an hour before. I cannot conceive of anyone being offended by that one, it is simply fresh and clean.
    +1...

I wouldn't want to be hired by someone who doesn't want to hire me just because he doesn't like my cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Norstrøm View Post
    Same in Denmark, as far as I have heard and experienced.
    Yeah, I agree - this topic is actually quite interesting. From the posts here there certainly seem to be very considerable differences between US/Australian attitudes to this question and European/Middle Eastern ones... hmm... might we speculate on possible cultural reasons?!

"If anyone has told you any of your perfumes or colognes linger in the room after you’ve left, don’t wear them during the interview. You’re supposed to get the job, not be the office air freshener."

I would wear it, 1-2 sprays of a fragrance I like but is also safe. If wearing it makes me feel good and gives me confidence...I will wear it.

I think much better is to go very clean and fresh if possible perfume can be a killer...you might think I'm wearing this because it does not smell a bit...but you don't know the interviewers nose....

Voted "Recommended. It should be fine if it's not too strong".
    But it depends of what job you're after.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Signature: Rochas Macassar (Nicolas Mamounas / Roger Pellegrino, 1980)

Current Top 7:

Chanel Antaeus (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1981)
    Terre d' Hermes EDT (2006-2009) (Jean-Claude Ellena, 2006)
    Green Irish Tweed (Probably Oliver Creed / Pierre Bourdon, 1985)
    Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (Gilles Romey, 1993)
    Bleu de Chanel EDP (Jaques Polge, 2014)
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (vtg) (Max Gavary, 1994)
    Chanel Allure Homme (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1999)

Basenotes Member

I don't see why not? You guys make me doubt why you wear fragrances at all?

The logic of not wearing a fragrance in fear of not getting hired is absurd. It's the same antiquated way of thought that you can't interview with a beard. This entire way of thought is completely backwards and really needs to be put to bed. I would never discount an applicant if they came in well-groomed and smelling pleasant. If anything, it says they care about their presentation and have good personal hygiene; as long as it's in moderation. Just as in any social setting, don't spray half the bottle on your neck and you'll be fine.

Just wear something "tasteful" in moderation, and don't let the fragrance speak for you.

I'd wait until I understood the company's policy, or the general attitude of that milieu, on fragrance in the workplace. There is no downside to wearing nothing.

If, however, wearing fragrance is more important to you than a particular job or prospect of one, go ahead - might as well get that settled from the start.

I wouldn't. There are fragrance haters and people that are sensitive to it and that would consider a fragrant applicant inconsiderate. Not to mention your "safe" scent may be the signature scent of an ex that they now hate with a passion.

Why hurt your chances? When interviewing the safest bet is to be a clean slate - no scent, conservative suit, simple tie - nothing that distracts from what you have to say.

Like it or not, interviewing is a very different situation than work. I've interviewed people before, and often you have little to go on to filter out a large group of applicants. Many times granting a second interview or an offer amounts to a choice based on gut feel. Don't you think a fragrance hater's gut feel will be affected by the scent they were annoyingly distracted by during the interview? I know I've had to choose between equally qualified applicants based on less.

Now if you're being recruited - if you are interviewing them - do whatever you want. Use your judgement, but if you really need the job and are competing for it, don't do any that may hurt your chances.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My answer would be either none or very discreet scents in very little quantities.
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

I don't understand people who feel its necessary to wear fragrance to an interview. My last position was to interview between 8-10 people a day on average and even if I liked their fragrance if they wore any, it told me they didn't understand the etiquette for an interview as it's not a date.

People shouldn't wear any fragrance. Some people have allergies and interview multiple people in a day and when multiple people wear different fragrances it can become a bit annoying when people do wear it.

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    No fragrance ever for a job interview - solely my opinion.
    Another vote for this. Leave the interviewer with a good impression of you, not an unknown impression of your fragrance.
    I don't have a signature fragrance. My signature changes a little bit every day, why shouldn't my fragrance?
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    I don't see the difference between a job interview and other say professional situations.
    The difference is that once you _have_ the job, you can find out whether fragrance is OK or not, and comply with the answer. But asking that question before the interview suggests a weirdly skewed set of priorities.

Blog Entries

Back in my interviewing days, I tended to wear the same thing I wear now when I know I will be working shoulder-to-shoulder with people - enough fragrance to guarantee no body odor, but not enough to register consciously as wearing fragrance, unless somebody is REALLY sniffing for it. A lot of times, that means one spray buried under my clothes and given lots of time to air out.

For me, no fragrance is NOT a good option. A small amount of fragrance will register as "clean", but "clean" will register as "did this guy bathe today?"

There are many great scents that say little more than "he took a shower and put on very clean clothes".

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    There are many great scents that say little more than "he took a shower and put on very clean clothes".
    What are those scents for you? My BF loves the "clean" scent but so far his idea of "clean" scent has me asking him to take a shower again because whatever he sprayed on has my throat burning. That description sounds exactly what I *think* he's looking for (and I can tolerate) so I'd love some suggestions for him.

Blog Entries

LOL! Most of them lean heavily to fresh citrus or soapy laundry musks. I used to like a few of them, but my tastes have changed.

A really great recent one is the Lacoste L1212 Blanc:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/l...3-oz?ID=601534

My wife bought me Estee Lauder Pleasures for Men precisely for this reason, years ago. Vera Wang for Men, too - nice scent.

Acqua di Gio, but everybody wears it, and everybody wears too much!

Try Yuzu Man, too - nice clean-smelling citrus.

Puro Lino is a very nice soapy scent. More niche.

The Gendarme scents, and they're in Sephora.

Several of the Etienne Aigner scents are like that, but I don't remember which one.

I personally like the fresh side of Bleu de Chanel, but that's probably a bit of a throat-burner if you go hog-wild on it (which I like, too! )

Like I said, there are lots, and they don't get too much love around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL! Most of them lean heavily to fresh citrus or soapy laundry musks. I used to like a few of them, but my tastes have changed.

A really great recent one is the Lacoste L1212 Blanc:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/l...3-oz?ID=601534

My wife bought me Estee Lauder Pleasures for Men precisely for this reason, years ago. Vera Wang for Men, too - nice scent.

Acqua di Gio, but everybody wears it, and everybody wears too much!

Try Yuzu Man, too - nice clean-smelling citrus.

Puro Lino is a very nice soapy scent. More niche.

The Gendarme scents, and they're in Sephora.

Several of the Etienne Aigner scents are like that, but I don't remember which one.

I personally like the fresh side of Bleu de Chanel, but that's probably a bit of a throat-burner if you go hog-wild on it (which I like, too! )

Like I said, there are lots, and they don't get too much love around here.
    Oh, that Lacoste sounds lovely!!!! I wonder if he'd like it? Maybe I should find a sample for him. (Or keep all this in mind for the next time we're together and I can take him shopping!)