Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Niche rec needed...more details within.

I second Bois d'Orage.

A few other good options:

Kristiansand New York
    Knize Sec
    Parfum d'Empire - Eau de Gloire
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    Can someone flesh out why Aventus is getting so many recs? Is it because it fits my original description of what I'm looking for? Because a strong pineapple note doesn't sound (I havent sniffed it) like it fits that... but the comments are making me give it real thought.
    I think it addresses that whole niche/perception of exclusivity thing, has some notes that aren't that common (pineapple, ash) but in reality doesn't stand out too much and is easy to wear.

Creed GIT is pretty safe.
    Currently wearing: Exotic by Jimmy Choo

Bond Nº 9 Great Jones
    #TOP 5#: Penhaligons Racquets,Jean Pascal Homme,Romeo Gigli Uomo,ST Barth Homme,Domenico Caraceni

AVENTUS IS SO MAINSTREAM NOW! UGH! ENough with Aventus already.

CDG 2MAN is a great choice. So to is "Dover Street Market" by CDG.

BUT--------------->

If you want something you can buy at Barneys...
    ....That is truley unique....
    ...one of a kind....
    ...and FUN to reveal when people ask what you are wearing...

...pick one any of the Escentric Molecules 6 scents. (8 if you count Kinski and Beautiful Mind)
    I would steer you toward Kinski first, Molecule 03, and Molecule 01 they are 3 of my most often worn and favorite scents. And really nothing beats telling someone you are wearing "Molecule 03".

thats my 2 cents

Not niche but very safe scents and not something you can buy everywhere, might be the kind of thing you're looking for since he is young and these are both up to date:

I would not go for the Tauer frags if he is conservative. If it has to be niche then something safe:

Basenotes Member

... he is one of those people who sort of prides himself on being 'different'. Or should I say on being perceived to be different.
    Well put, heh.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are a few legit suggestions that fit what he wants:
    - Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    - something amber-y like Mona Di Orio - Ambre

There are a few scents like the Tom Ford that are niche and smell different/out there, but are REALLY good and it'd be hard to not like them. Also, Tom Ford's a name he'd recognize that revels in how exclusive it is, and that's the scent most people consider to be the best of the TF's.

My second suggestion regarding ambers is that they're not mainstream, but they're also not offensive and again he'd be hard-pressed to just downright hate it.
    Last edited by Made in California; 30th November 2012 at 11:40 AM.

+1 for Aventus
    GIT is a safe bet.

Cannot go wrong with both in my opinion.

Another for Aventus.

It's just that damn good imo!!!!

Basenotes Plus

Idole de Lubin - Eau de Parfum.

What a great bottle as well.

Have a look at Histoires de Parfum 1725 Casanova. A citrus opening, with a woody / amber / vanilla base.

Pretty conservative, but well made with it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

-1 on Aventus, or Creed for that matter. If I plan on going niche the last thing I'd do is to choose a very popular 'niche' ( an oxymoron of sorts, lol). My pick of niche for a 23 yr old guy will be along the lines of:

By Kilian Straight to Heaven
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Histoires de Parfums 1725
    L'Artisan Parfumeur's Safran Troublant
    MFK Cologne pour le Matin
    Diptyque 34 Blvd St Germaine
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere
    Etc...
    Currently wearing: Cuoio by Odori

L'Occitane - Eau des Baux (2006)

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126827.html
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Vetiver Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Can someone flesh out why Aventus is getting so many recs? Is it because it fits my original description of what I'm looking for? Because a strong pineapple note doesn't sound (I havent sniffed it) like it fits that... but the comments are making me give it real thought.

Aventus is "all the rage" and people worship it for it's trendiness. It is a safe fragrance, in that it isn't weird smelling. If you want trendy get it...just don't pay retail b/c its quality assurance is crappy and every batch is different. GIT is nice, sort of an overpriced Cool Water... If he isn't that "into" fragrances, why niche? they tend to be way expensive. How about a nice YSL L'Homme or L'Homme Libre if he likes younger smelling fragrances? each is 1/3 the cost of a Creed

If you are looking @ Creed... I agree that Virgin Island Water would be a good choice.... I am not a Aventus fan, the only other Creed fragrance I like is Bois du Portugal but that is a little more mature in my mind... In the Bond No. 9 line you might try Riverside Dr. or as previously mentioned Great Jones. In the By Kilian line A Taste Of Heaven is just that and the packaging is exquisite. Carthusia's Numero Uno is nice and 1920 Extreme by Bois 1920....both available @ Barney's....

You describe him as conservative so some tried and true scents might be more in his line. I would go for:
    Eau Sauvage by Dior
    Terre d'Hermes by Hermes
    Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Blog Entries

Seriously, to blind buy a niche which will be $150-$200 for a non-perfumer is nuts unless you truly have money to burn. In that case go for it. How about Paco Rabanne 1 Million? It has a trendy bottle, and can be gotten for under $100 It looks and smells trendy and if he hates it it won't become a $200 bathroom air freshener

Sorry but, 1 million is a scent for teenagers. And doesn't fit the description at all.

I'd second FM Bois d'Orage. Distinct 'unique' smell, he would probably like the FM concept, but the smell is still manly and conservative.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adrem View Post
    Sorry but, 1 million is a scent for teenagers. And doesn't fit the description at all.

I'd second FM Bois d'Orage. Distinct 'unique' smell, he would probably like the FM concept, but the smell is still manly and conservative.
    Hmmm...you advocate a $240 blind buy for a guy who doesn't seem to excited about fragrances? WOW. 1 Million may not appease a connoisseur of fragrances but I have tried it and enjoy it. I never understood people bashing a scent as a teenager smell, like there is some combo of notes that only under 21 can wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Hmmm...you advocate a $240 blind buy for a guy who doesn't seem to excited about fragrances? WOW. 1 Million may not appease a connoisseur of fragrances but I have tried it and enjoy it. I never understood people bashing a scent as a teenager smell, like there is some combo of notes that only under 21 can wear.
    "Niche" "Unique" "Gourmand is also out unless it's extremely well blended with other, non-gourmand notes." > 1 million simply doesn't fit. Even if you really like it you have to admit it's very sweet, loud and cloying.

She wants to buy a niche fragrance for someone who isn't into fragrance at all. She obviously doesn't care about price. And 50 ml is 'only' $165.

After having read the question again it looks likes she's searching for the most mainstream niche scent there is. Which is probably Aventus. But that one is verry strong and has allot of sillage. And Bois d'Orage is pretty herbacious.

Hmm..
    Last edited by Adrem; 30th November 2012 at 11:39 PM.

Blog Entries

How about a Bond No 9 if price is no object? If you are willing to blind buy a $200 bottle...They are trendy, and NY Amber is safe, as is Riverside Drive, or even Andy Warhol silver factory. Expensive? yes, Niche? yes, mainstream? mostly...and the projection/longevity is incredible...BTW, I didn't find 1 Million cloying at all, or even sweet. I tested it at a mall and got a compliment from a SA a half hour later in a different store...it is just "stereotyped as teen" so sophisticated BN'ers won't touch it
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 1st December 2012 at 12:16 AM.

Does it have to be Creed? I think it's kind of sad to buy a Creed only because he knows it is expensive.

If it has to be Creed - royal oud.

You might also consider

Serge Lutens - five o clock (if you can still find it - it will be available in Paris only, I call that exclusive)
    Sycomore by Chanel
    Vetiver by Dior privee (great, safe Vetiver, to be discontinued)