Code of Conduct

Default Niche rec needed...more details within.

Xmas shopping and I need a fragrance for a man. 23. Does wear fragrance but only the one bottle he gets from his mom or sister every year (and it changes year to year, he's never expressed strong feelings for any of them and they've all been mainstream/dept. store brands, not that there's anything wrong with that ). I want to get him something niche. I am half tempted to get him a Creed because it's known enough that he would recognize the brand (and appreciate it) but it would also be that little bit 'special' in his eyes.

He thinks he wants something edgy, but he doesn't. There's no way he would wear anything floral, for example. Subtle, masculine, modern, conservative. Niche houses preferred because he'll appreciate the aura of exclusivity. I'm tempted by Byredo Sunday Cologne but a)it's expensive for something he hasn't sniffed and b)Barney's is out of it and I don't know where else to get it in North America. Gourmand is also out unless it's extremely well blended with other, non-gourmand notes. Nothing too strong or too sillage-y, either. Clean and/or aquatic could be OK but nothing astringent or too herbaceous.

What do i get for the male non-perfume risk-taker who thinks he's a risk-taker, is what i'm asking. Any ideas?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Niche rec needed...more details within.

Neroli Sauvage

Aventus is the Creed that is all the rage and one I think he would appreciate at his age.

Sound Scents

Creed is always a safe choice... Something like Bois d'Orage by EdP Frederic Malle might be a more distinctive choice though. Maybe Cuoio by Odori might fit the bill as well. Both are sold at Barneys.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

A second vote for Aventus.

I'd go for CDG2 man. CDG is a niche and very avantgarde line. CDG2 man is not particularly traditional, but it is fairly conservative, lemony incense, neither sweet nor particularly heavy. If it were found in Montreal (but I don't think so), I'd also say Etat Libre d'Orange Je suis un homme, which is a traditional woody masculine with a quirky logo and packaging.

I personally don't like Creed, and it is quite expensive, but many other people do.

cacio

Thanks for recs - 2 for Aventus, I am somewhat familiar with the Creed line (not a fan, but not a non-fan either, I like the Virgin island Water) and the one that came to mind was Green Irish Tweed. Any thoughts on that vs Aventus? I havent sniffed Aventus but I think of it as 'sporty' - is it?

Also thinking Lutens L'Eau Froide, CdG Hinoki (is this VERY woody or just somewhat woody?), Henrik Vibskov Type C (this sound really promising - would love to hear from anyone who has sniffed), Maison Francis K Aqua Universalis and Parfums MDCI Invasion Barbare. Any comments welcome.

I'm going to go read some reviews of the others recs, so thanks for those. CdG would be a brand he'd appreciate, I think.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

You can't go wrong with Terre d'Hermes, may not be considered niche but it's close enough! If not then one of Tom Ford's private blends, Noir de Noir or Oud wood. If you think he can handle a floral then get him MFK Lumiere Noire pour homme.

Oh dear, just checked out the Etat line and the Tom of Finland one sounds perrrfect. Unfortunately there is no way he would be able to get past the bottle decor. I wonder if I could repackage it with some boobs on it or something? Ha ha.

Edit: Hawk, I checked out that MFK Lumiere Homme earlier, and the floral is what makes it a no-go. This is your classic 'I want to be edgy and avant garde but not REALLY' situation, ya know?

Green Irish Tweed would be my pick from Creed. I think it's a "safer" pick for a non-perfume-risk-taker than Aventus. I don't know if Tom Ford is considered niche or not, but you aren't going to find his stuff at a Macy's I'd look there as well. Tom Ford for Men or even Tom Ford for Men Extreme are a couple scents that might fit what you're looking for (I'd still say GIT is a "safer" choice than those, however).
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

by the way, Byredo is available at Holt in Toronto and Vancouver, if you're in Montreal then they'll order it for you and you pick it up at Holt Montreal.

Overcome By Fumes

It's hard for me to make recommendations based on "impressiveness" or "fashion consciousness" or "eliteness". I'd choose CdG2 Man any day over just about any Creed fragrance, actually. I hate to say it, but it almost sounds like you want to get him "niche" not because it's better, but because you perceive him to be a bit shallow and easily impressed by a flashy name and a larger pricetag. There are "non-niche" (is that a word?) fragrances that smell great, and it seems to me that I'd prefer something that smells great over a fancy but not delightful one. But I do understand the cachet of getting something that reeks of exclusivity and specialness. How about Idole de Lubin? Or L'Artisan Timbuktu? Tauer Lonestar Memories?

My vote would be for Green Irish Tweed as well, but Aventus would probably be a winner as well. IMO it's hard to go wrong with those 2 Creeds.

Aventus easy for 23. All chicks is his

Sound Scents

I'll go against the grain and give a minus 1 to the Aventus recs. I find it an OK fragrance, but nothing special, and nowhere near Green Irish Tweed from a quality perspective. It is not really a "sport" fragrance to answer your question, but instead opens with a deceptively strong synthetic pineapple that is quite pleasant smelling. Unfortunately it then morphs into a mundane faux smoky scent that projects like crazy and gets annoying real fast... At least to me, that is.

Green Irish Tweed is probably my favorite from the house of Creed (which is not one of my favorite houses in general). It is extremely versatile and always a safe choice from a scent perspective. That said, while safe from a scent perspective, the biggest risk is that folks (including the gent you are purchasing it for) will make the inevitable association with Cool Water. Many here consider the association absolute sacrilege, however I am not one... I used to wear the vintage Cool Water when it initially was released and it was exceptional. So I hardly think comparing GIT to it is so terrible, more like a compliment as far as I am concerned (even though GIT is really the original as it was released first). Most folks have never smelled "the good stuff." Fair or not, that is the real risk with going with GIT...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Another vote for Aventus

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

More of a conservative personality - G.I.T. A bit more spirited and daring - Aventus. Either way, you really cannot go wrong.

Another for Aventus or CdG 2 Man.

You are probably right in thinking he doesn't really know what edgy can mean in scent, but you can be edgy/non-conventional without necessarily leaning in the floral/fem direction.

It can be easier for guys to get into if it is edgy whilst utilizing notes that are conventionally regarded as masculine (wood, smoke, incense...).

Then again, fragrance is so personal, it is probably safest to go with accessible niche like Aventus or GIT unless you can go sampling together and get a better idea of his tastes (which he probably doesn't know yet himself).

I'm going to weigh in with another bump for Creed, but My vote goes to Silver Mountain Water or Millesime Imperial. Both excellent fresh, clean, masculine frags. GIT is great but it's been cloned by the likes of Cool Water and Coty Aspen and I'm just not that big a fan of green notes, as much as I try to be!

+1 Aventus.

Regarding your ideas in the previous post:
    Lutens L'Eau Froide is interesting, cold fresh synthetic, very unLutensian though. If you want fresh, a cheaper thing would be CDG Vettiveru.
    CdG Hinoki is very woody, but still somewhat fresh. Another great choice in CDG.
    Henrik Vibskov Type C: is that the marine in the line? I smelled all three in the store, and was unimpressed - I felt there's better stuff in the style of all three. And the marine one was really strongly so. The leathery one was somewhat interesting, but there are many leathers that are much better than that. For instance the wonderful, smooth Tom of Finland. By the way, regrettably the ELdO bottles do not carry the logo (why ELDO uses plain bottles is a mystery). But the ToF does have the macho guy on the box.
    Maison Francis K Aqua Universalis is a good, smooth white musk. But a little simple. I use the associated laundry detergent.
    Parfums MDCI Invasion Barbare: very expensive. But a very good nugere (or new fougere), classical masculine fougere like but with modern molecules.

cacio

Silver Mountain Water or Aventus
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Yet another +1 for Aventus.
    Tom of Finland would really be great too, but I understand your worry about the packaging. I think Je Suis un Homme from Etat Libre might also be worth checking out.

As regards Sunday Cologne, the longevity for that is very poor. I can imagine someone who's not really into fragrance being put off by that. (I can imagine people who are into fragrance being put off by that!)
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

2nd that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Aventus is the Creed that is all the rage and one I think he would appreciate at his age.

Can someone flesh out why Aventus is getting so many recs? Is it because it fits my original description of what I'm looking for? Because a strong pineapple note doesn't sound (I havent sniffed it) like it fits that... but the comments are making me give it real thought.

I hate to say it, but it almost sounds like you want to get him "niche" not because it's better, but because you perceive him to be a bit shallow and easily impressed by a flashy name and a larger pricetag.
    I don't think pricetag will impress him but the exclusivity of a brand name will, he is one of those people who sort of prides himself on being 'different'. Or should I say on being perceived to be different.

Right now I'm leaning towards the CdG 2, the GIT, the MDCI (thank you for your specific comments, Cacio!) and also the Aventus, despite the fact that I'm not sure why it's getting so many recs.

Aventus is both a sophisticated scent that is not sweet per se but starts of a bit fruity and turns to a slightly smoky woody scent. Definately masculine but also suitable for a man his age or any age. Classy. Women love it too.

I will offer some different suggestions. Consider Maître Parfumeur et Gantier's Santal Noble. Also if he wants to get into fragrances why just one? I might suggest Mona Di Oreo's Diacovery Box with 8 different scents. Perhaps he will find one he really loves and all of her scents are modern and either unisex or decidedly masculine. Just a thought...
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I'll chime in and give a "no" to Aventus. First of all, I think that people are strangely obsessed with the stuff...it's a little creepy how some people are so attached to it. I don't see what's so special about it...I've smelled it quite a few times and it's never done a thing for me. But, I must be missing something, and I'm ok with that. And, I don't think it really fits what you are looking for...it's just that you mentioned Creed so immediately everyone just goes to Aventus or GIT. Personally, I think GIT would fit what you are looking for more than Aventus. But, I'm not a huge fan of any of the Creeds including GIT, but it's a little safer and I think that safer would be a little better for a guy that doesn't think much about frags.

As far as CDG is concerned, I love this house. 2 Man is great, but it gets a little powdery and that might be a bit a little of a turn off to him if he's not used to that. I personally love Dover Street Market. It's not a super popular CDG, but man is it good. It's got a little incense, a little coriander and it's just a great frag. Some people don't like it a lot because they say it is too "safe" for CDG, or good for a beginner to the CDG house, but it's awesome. If you think he might like CDG because it's a little different and a little out there then that would be my suggestion. There are far more "out there" frags from the house that he could get into if he liked it's vibe. And, at $85 bucks for 100ml you can't really go wrong with it. He won't find very many others smelling like him as they would with Aventus...I almost feel like Aventus is becoming THE mainstream niche.

Original Santal. The bottle is cool looking and it's Creeds best offering for the younger gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Also if he wants to get into fragrances why just one? I might suggest Mona Di Oreo's Diacovery Box with 8 different scents. Perhaps he will find one he really loves and all of her scents are modern and either unisex or decidedly masculine. Just a thought...
    This is a great idea. Spending 100+ on one fragrance that may or may not be to his taste is a bit risky, while a discovery box provides a range of fragrances and gives him a little push into the breadth of the fragrance world. Mona di Orio's Les Nombres d'Or box ($145) is a great option, some very good fragrances in it. The Amouage mini box set would be another ideal choice ($260) as would MDCI's Discovery Set ($210) or By Kilian's ($195). All are available from Luckyscent online.

If you do want one niche bottle, I think Maison Francis Kurkdjian Amyris pour Homme is a great option as it is masculine, safe, modern, and smells great.

Aventus has quite a following but it may be risky as bottles have varying profiles- the sample I got was overpoweringly smoky. Millesime Imperial would be my top choice from Creed, but it is more of a summer scent, which is something to keep in mind as a Christmas gift.

I second Bois d'Orage.

A few other good options:

Kristiansand New York
    Knize Sec
    Parfum d'Empire - Eau de Gloire
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    Can someone flesh out why Aventus is getting so many recs? Is it because it fits my original description of what I'm looking for? Because a strong pineapple note doesn't sound (I havent sniffed it) like it fits that... but the comments are making me give it real thought.
    I think it addresses that whole niche/perception of exclusivity thing, has some notes that aren't that common (pineapple, ash) but in reality doesn't stand out too much and is easy to wear.

Creed GIT is pretty safe.

Bond Nº 9 Great Jones
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

AVENTUS IS SO MAINSTREAM NOW! UGH! ENough with Aventus already.

CDG 2MAN is a great choice. So to is "Dover Street Market" by CDG.

BUT--------------->

If you want something you can buy at Barneys...
    ....That is truley unique....
    ...one of a kind....
    ...and FUN to reveal when people ask what you are wearing...

...pick one any of the Escentric Molecules 6 scents. (8 if you count Kinski and Beautiful Mind)
    I would steer you toward Kinski first, Molecule 03, and Molecule 01 they are 3 of my most often worn and favorite scents. And really nothing beats telling someone you are wearing "Molecule 03".

thats my 2 cents

Not niche but very safe scents and not something you can buy everywhere, might be the kind of thing you're looking for since he is young and these are both up to date:

I would not go for the Tauer frags if he is conservative. If it has to be niche then something safe:

... he is one of those people who sort of prides himself on being 'different'. Or should I say on being perceived to be different.
    Well put, heh.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are a few legit suggestions that fit what he wants:
    - Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    - something amber-y like Mona Di Orio - Ambre

There are a few scents like the Tom Ford that are niche and smell different/out there, but are REALLY good and it'd be hard to not like them. Also, Tom Ford's a name he'd recognize that revels in how exclusive it is, and that's the scent most people consider to be the best of the TF's.

My second suggestion regarding ambers is that they're not mainstream, but they're also not offensive and again he'd be hard-pressed to just downright hate it.
    Last edited by Made in California; 30th November 2012 at 11:40 AM.

+1 for Aventus
    GIT is a safe bet.

Cannot go wrong with both in my opinion.

Another for Aventus.

It's just that damn good imo!!!!

Basenotes Plus

Idole de Lubin - Eau de Parfum.

What a great bottle as well.

Have a look at Histoires de Parfum 1725 Casanova. A citrus opening, with a woody / amber / vanilla base.

Pretty conservative, but well made with it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

-1 on Aventus, or Creed for that matter. If I plan on going niche the last thing I'd do is to choose a very popular 'niche' ( an oxymoron of sorts, lol). My pick of niche for a 23 yr old guy will be along the lines of:

By Kilian Straight to Heaven
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Histoires de Parfums 1725
    L'Artisan Parfumeur's Safran Troublant
    MFK Cologne pour le Matin
    Diptyque 34 Blvd St Germaine
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere
    Etc...

L'Occitane - Eau des Baux (2006)

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126827.html
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Vetiver Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Aventus is "all the rage" and people worship it for it's trendiness. It is a safe fragrance, in that it isn't weird smelling. If you want trendy get it...just don't pay retail b/c its quality assurance is crappy and every batch is different. GIT is nice, sort of an overpriced Cool Water... If he isn't that "into" fragrances, why niche? they tend to be way expensive. How about a nice YSL L'Homme or L'Homme Libre if he likes younger smelling fragrances? each is 1/3 the cost of a Creed

If you are looking @ Creed... I agree that Virgin Island Water would be a good choice.... I am not a Aventus fan, the only other Creed fragrance I like is Bois du Portugal but that is a little more mature in my mind... In the Bond No. 9 line you might try Riverside Dr. or as previously mentioned Great Jones. In the By Kilian line A Taste Of Heaven is just that and the packaging is exquisite. Carthusia's Numero Uno is nice and 1920 Extreme by Bois 1920....both available @ Barney's....

You describe him as conservative so some tried and true scents might be more in his line. I would go for:
    Eau Sauvage by Dior
    Terre d'Hermes by Hermes
    Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Blog Entries

Seriously, to blind buy a niche which will be $150-$200 for a non-perfumer is nuts unless you truly have money to burn. In that case go for it. How about Paco Rabanne 1 Million? It has a trendy bottle, and can be gotten for under $100 It looks and smells trendy and if he hates it it won't become a $200 bathroom air freshener

Sorry but, 1 million is a scent for teenagers. And doesn't fit the description at all.

I'd second FM Bois d'Orage. Distinct 'unique' smell, he would probably like the FM concept, but the smell is still manly and conservative.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adrem View Post
    Sorry but, 1 million is a scent for teenagers. And doesn't fit the description at all.

I'd second FM Bois d'Orage. Distinct 'unique' smell, he would probably like the FM concept, but the smell is still manly and conservative.
    Hmmm...you advocate a $240 blind buy for a guy who doesn't seem to excited about fragrances? WOW. 1 Million may not appease a connoisseur of fragrances but I have tried it and enjoy it. I never understood people bashing a scent as a teenager smell, like there is some combo of notes that only under 21 can wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Hmmm...you advocate a $240 blind buy for a guy who doesn't seem to excited about fragrances? WOW. 1 Million may not appease a connoisseur of fragrances but I have tried it and enjoy it. I never understood people bashing a scent as a teenager smell, like there is some combo of notes that only under 21 can wear.
    "Niche" "Unique" "Gourmand is also out unless it's extremely well blended with other, non-gourmand notes." > 1 million simply doesn't fit. Even if you really like it you have to admit it's very sweet, loud and cloying.

She wants to buy a niche fragrance for someone who isn't into fragrance at all. She obviously doesn't care about price. And 50 ml is 'only' $165.

After having read the question again it looks likes she's searching for the most mainstream niche scent there is. Which is probably Aventus. But that one is verry strong and has allot of sillage. And Bois d'Orage is pretty herbacious.

Hmm..
    Last edited by Adrem; 30th November 2012 at 11:39 PM.

Blog Entries

How about a Bond No 9 if price is no object? If you are willing to blind buy a $200 bottle...They are trendy, and NY Amber is safe, as is Riverside Drive, or even Andy Warhol silver factory. Expensive? yes, Niche? yes, mainstream? mostly...and the projection/longevity is incredible...BTW, I didn't find 1 Million cloying at all, or even sweet. I tested it at a mall and got a compliment from a SA a half hour later in a different store...it is just "stereotyped as teen" so sophisticated BN'ers won't touch it
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 1st December 2012 at 12:16 AM.

Does it have to be Creed? I think it's kind of sad to buy a Creed only because he knows it is expensive.

If it has to be Creed - royal oud.

You might also consider

Serge Lutens - five o clock (if you can still find it - it will be available in Paris only, I call that exclusive)
    Sycomore by Chanel
    Vetiver by Dior privee (great, safe Vetiver, to be discontinued)