Code of Conduct

Default New release from MDCI - Cyphre Palatin...got it today

G&G's

Just got my sample set from MDCI Paris this morning. I just commend the folks at MDCI for being so courteous and attentive to all qsts presented to them before my purchase. So, I went with my very favorite Invasion Barbare, Peche Cardinal, Ambre Topkapi, Promesse de L'aube and then a yet to be released by the name of Cyphre Palatin. This last one is quite an intriguing little number as it seems to draw you in to witness its evolution from perfect civility to feral beast all in an instant. Or more correctly, a cooly elegant urban type that just happens to have a very well mannered pet puma, who they like to take on evening walks . Honestly, that is the image that comes to mind with Cyphre Palatin. I have asked Claude at MDCI about the notes for CP and also the designer. As of now , I can say if you like Kouros or Musc KK then Cyphre Palatin may just be your alley (cat).

Default Re: New release from MDCI - Cyphre Palatin...got it today

Thanks for the info on this new one.

Edit:

It's one of the best orientals I've ever smelled. Didn't think a fragrance this good could be made today.

Last edited by pluran; 15th September 2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: blackout

Ooh sounds interesting - yet another to test

Hi there,

Just in case you're interested, I've posted a review of this on my blog today. I really like it!
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Sounds pretty interesting indeed...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

The notes look promising but I'm kinda wary of immortelle. To test list.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Ooh sounds interesting - yet another to test
    Yep!

for swap/sale:

I got this info from Claude at MDCI today :

The creator is Bertrand Duchaufour , who has already done "la Belle Hélène"
    for us, and here are the main ingredients:

Head notes: jacinth, clementine, aldehydes, ciste essence, galbanum essence
    thyme and lavander
    Heart notes, : rose, jasmin, iris concrète, prune, gardenia
    Base notes : benjamin, styrax, leather, vanilla, tolu, castoreum , costus,
    oakmoss, everlast absolute

From what I could gather in his reply, CP will also be released as a masculine in the MDCI lineup. Also, I wore this again last night and thought it to be sensually breathtaking, compelling, wonderfully surefooted and with a upfront classic manner that finds nothing to be worried about in modern times. I never would have imagined ever liking such an aggressive fragrance that the last thing on earth could be described as a comfort scent. All in all, brave new departure by MDCI into the darker realm of perfume creation.

Sounds great, I love chypres! Not at luckyscent yet though...

Has anyone else had a chance to try this one yet? I'm thinking of getting a sample set from MDCI.

Sur la Plage

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sound interesting

sounds promising

Just purchased this as a blind buy and just received it. WOW this is an absolutely beautiful Chypre. Very vintage, Very elegant and very sophisticated. I need to spend more time with it but it has beautiful balance with a nice leathery not floating to tam down the floral aspects which are there. I believe this is the best MDCI to date. I am very impressed.

This could be up your ally Beck! Its worth a try at least.

cairomerta, thanks for your input. This certainly sounds worth a try.

How do you feel about Invasion Barbare? That will help us gauge how you really feel about Chypre Palatin if it's your favorite MDCI to date.

Thanks Hobbes. I actually really like Invasion Barbare. This scent follows the same pattern of the previous scents. Really strong and quality openings leading to dry-downs that dont have enormous sillage but create a really elegant aura. What I particularly like about this scent is the vintage style throwback feel of it. Its oakmoss base is very prevalent giving it that dry almost powdery feeling. Not baby powder powdery but oakmoss/mossy powder. Really nice stuff.

I was hoping Chypre Palatin would be to masculine chypres what Invasion Barbare is to fougeres. I'm definitely going to procure a sample of this one sometime soon.

Also, thank you to stanmar, cairomerta, and persolaise for posting your thoughts on this. There is a real lack of reviews of Chypre Palatin right now. To date, besides this thread I can only find a review on Persolaise's site. There is really nothing out there on this.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Just purchased this as a blind buy and just received it. WOW this is an absolutely beautiful Chypre. Very vintage, Very elegant and very sophisticated. I need to spend more time with it but it has beautiful balance with a nice leathery not floating to tam down the floral aspects which are there. I believe this is the best MDCI to date. I am very impressed.

This could be up your ally Beck! Its worth a try at least.
    I'm thinking this might be up my ally also. Luckyscent sent two samples in the mail to me yesterday. If all goes well, I'll be giving Chypre Palatin a sampling this time tomorrow.

It´s been a long time since a pyramid get me this thrilled....besides I would love to see Master Bertrand Duchaufour´s take on a classic chypre....

Cheers

Pablo
    Last edited by Halo; 2nd June 2012 at 09:33 PM.

Banned

It does have promise.

This is a HUGE winner. The absolute best interpretation of "The Modern Man," bar none. I don't get anything remotely vintage as others have mentioned. This scent is so sophistcated, so modern and fresh in its execution - it's off the charts. Chypre Palatin can be worn any where, for any occaision. All you signature scent hunters - this is it - of course you'll need a bottle of Invasion Barbare just to make it a little more interesting. CP does everthing right, and nothing wrong.

I will be buying a bottle tomorrow.
    Last edited by thebeck; 3rd June 2012 at 11:54 AM.

Sound Scents

Just ordered a sample of this one, along with some others from LS... I hope it impresses...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    This is a HUGE winner. The absolute best interpretation of "The Modern Man," bare none. I don't get anything remotely vintage as others have mentioned. This scent is so sophistcated, so modern and fresh in its execution - it's off the charts. Chypre Palatin can be worn any where, for any occaision. All you signature scent hunters - this is it - of course you'll need a bottle of Invasion Barbare just to make it a little more interesting. CP does everthing right, and nothing wrong.

I will be buying a bottle tomorrow.
    Thebeck, sounds interesting. Can you compare it to anything m

I knew this would be right up your alley beck! I'm glad you like it as much as I do although I am one of the ones who do get a vintage vibe from it. Although I do agree on you modern assessment. Really a classy piece of work.

This just went at the top of my "must buy" list

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    I knew this would be right up your alley beck! I'm glad you like it as much as I do although I am one of the ones who do get a vintage vibe from it. Although I do agree on you modern assessment. Really a classy piece of work.
    My wife and I both sampled CP yesterday. I asked her if she thought there was anything vintage, and her answer was no. We'll probably be the only two that feel that way, since many others like yourself get that vintage thing. Maybe I'll feel different after some more wearings.

Hey Nersh - I'm not sure what to compare it to - it's unique and new to my nose.

Sound Scents

My wife and I both sampled CP yesterday. I asked her if she thought there was anything vintage, and her answer was no. We'll probably be the only two that feel that way, since many others like yourself get that vintage thing.
    Then I guess I will make a third... I am wearing it now, and I really am not getting a vintage vibe at all. Instead I too find it a quite modern take on the chypre. It is quite powdery and pleasant smelling, but I guess I just am hard to impress and pretty set in my ways taste-wise nowadays, as I like it but don't love it. I would prefer less powder and more oakmoss (the latter is probably not doable anymore, in all fairness). In short, I guess I wish it *were* more old school. All that said, it is certainly a quality scent that I understand the love others have for it. Good stuff, but just not for me.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Basenotes Institution

Getting a sample !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

I find this to be the most friendly MDCI to date. It definitely has a chypre feel and a sensuous green/woody accord I could probably live with. I'm wondering if those of you who bought it are still enjoying it.

It seems to have nice sillage and wafts beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I find this to be the most friendly MDCI to date. It definitely has a chypre feel and a sensuous green/woody accord I could probably live with. I'm wondering if those of you who bought it are still enjoying it.

It seems to have nice sillage and wafts beautifully.
    I enjoy it more with each wearing. The sillage is close to the skin, but very tenacious lasting power, as in 10 hours plus, I can still get wafts of myself. A true unisex fragrance.
    Last edited by thebeck; 13th June 2012 at 07:10 PM.

So far I'm not liking the vintage feel but need to wear it again. Seems to have a similar base as IB.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    So far I'm not liking the vintage feel but need to wear it again. Seems to have a similar base as IB.
    I've been switching regularly between IB and CP, and I don't think there's a similar base. I always thought a vintage feel was a plus, but I guess I'm from another planet.

Blog Entries

I've been switching regularly between IB and CP, and I don't think there's a similar base. I always thought a vintage feel was a plus, but I guess I'm from another planet.
    Exactly! Vintage is my cup of tea. It must depend on when you were born. I'm thinking the younger folks are more interested in the more synthetic notes.

I need to do a note comparison to IB. I'm smelling something similar. Now that I've worn it again, it is absolute vintage in character, very much so. However, it is completely not dated. It is fresh and bright. Its rather linear but here, that is a good thing. I dig the green facade but I'm not sure if it would be just to call it a true green fragrance. Another wearing will help me decide. I agree that this one is the most wearable offering from the house and is indeed a power statement. No monkeying around here. Its all balls and class. A good modern interpretation of an era in perfume artistry that has gone by.

I tried this today and wouldn't consider it to be a green oriental chypre - more an oriental chypre full-stop. It's also the first MDCI offering that enchanted me but I'm not too sure if I'll be buying a bottle. Why? As much as I love the composition itself (and its softness is part of its charm), the chypre aspect doesn't last particularly long. Towards the drydown, I get mostly a vague similarity to Profumum's Dulcis in Fundo (i.e. a sensual powdery vanilla with an underlining citrus nuance). It's only in the midst of the drydown that I detect a slight mossy/woody facet emerging, which is somewhat similar to the delicious drydown of Tauer's Une Rose Chyprée (but not as rich or pronounced).

I need to sample it a couple more times but, even if my opinion doesn't change, it still deserves a thumbs-up.

Recently received this as a sample with a purchase from Luckyscent. What an interesting scent. Very nice.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Recently received this as a sample with a purchase from Luckyscent. What an interesting scent. Very nice.
    Yes, I did too. I liked it- I get some vintage-y feel from it like Cairomerta does. Mossy ,deep and long lasting juice. Quite unisex.
    Trebor- I would also consider this a more oriental type chypre too than full on green chypre. I need to re sample to get more of a feel.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

i'm agreeing with scientologist & trebor on this one.
    scientologist's thought re: its similariy with IB was my first thought as well.
    while it's likeable & well done, it just isn't FBW simply based on how closely related it is to Invasion Barbare + its lifespan on skin as Trebor points out. i will test further but a change of mind is doubtful for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Trebor- I would also consider this a more oriental type chypre too than full on green chypre. I need to re sample to get more of a feel.
    Totally agree with you Mimi but that isn't what I was originally led to believe. But then again, when has any marketing blurb been completely honest?

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    i'm agreeing with scientologist & trebor on this one.
    scientologist's thought re: its similariy with IB was my first thought as well.
    while it's likeable & well done, it just isn't FBW simply based on how closely related it is to Invasion Barbare + its lifespan on skin as Trebor points out. i will test further but a change of mind is doubtful for now.
    It's been a few hours now and it's still there. It does come across as faint but it's still diffusing rather nicely. The main problem with it is that it's not a true chypre - more an oriental with a chypre flourish. That said, it's still a beautiful creation.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Totally agree with you Mimi but that isn't what I was originally led to believe. But then again, when has any marketing blurb been completely honest?
    Quite true !

Basenotes Institution

Can't wait to try this. Is this a real chypre? I mean does it have bergamot/labdanum/oakmoss?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

It's been a few hours now and it's still there. It does come across as faint but it's still diffusing rather nicely. The main problem with it is that it's not a true chypre - more an oriental with a chypre flourish. That said, it's still a beautiful creation.
    I'm surprised Trebor. Everyone knows of my endless complaints about low longevity scents. I get a 10 hour day with CP. Is your sample a dab on or spray?
    Last edited by thebeck; 17th June 2012 at 10:53 PM.

I've worn this a couple times and have gone back and forth on it. I am not sure if this is my style but I will give it another try. It is definitely an intriguing fragrance that possibly has too much going on. It feels classic to me. It is the chypre accord that gives this that classic mens scent feel.

The opening is strong lemon green floral (clementine, galbanum, hyacinth, lavender) that definitely has a vintage '80's feel. I'm thinking PPH Prive, Versace L' Homme, No. 19 . . . But this fades pretty fast. Then the rose + vanilla and benzoin take hold of the thing and it develops a chypre scent similar to Tiffany for Men in the middle notes. The base continues the powder aspect with a light leather and dry castoreum that keeps this just on the + side of masculine for me. Chypre Palatin is similar to Equipage at this stage but it never really loses its powdery dry strong silent type of feel. Oriental Chypre is a good descriptive because it has plenty of sweetness while keeping a dry chypre feel (leather?) in the base.

It has great longevity. My least favorite part is the opening and like it more the longer it wears down.

I can't get into this. I admire the concept but alas it's not for me. I prefer something like xerjoff Fiero for a classic gentleman's scent but feel its a bit too mature for me as I prefer a tad more freshness in the character.

I'm surprised Trebor. Everyone knows of my endless comlaints about low longevity scents. I get a 10 hour day with CP. Is your sample a dab on or spray?
    No, thebeck, longevity is definitely not an issue - it's just that it comes across as very soft. However, from my experience, this is deceptive as I find myself constantly getting whiffs of it as the hours pass.

No, thebeck, longevity is definitely not an issue - it's just that it comes across as very soft. However, from my experience, this is deceptive as I find myself constantly getting whiffs of it as the hours pass.
    Yes, you get whiffs of yourself all day with CP. I was grocery shopping the other day with my wife. I ran into a gentleman who is a CEO of a very large company. I thought he smelled so good, I was getting ready to ask him what he was wearing, then I realized it was me, that smelled so good.

This is so beautiful! I got a 12 ml sample from Parfums MDCI. Invasion Barbare is number one on my top list, but I think I will have to place CP on place number two. I don't have much experience with chypres, but this one really reminds me of Mitsouko by Guerlain (the EdT) - only about 100 times the quality, and some other notes, like mandarin instead of peaches, some oranges, a little flowers and more powdery - in a good way, and also more masculine. If I could only have five fragrances, it would be IB, CP, AdP Colonia, Creed Aventus and Creed Windsor, in that order. A true classic and a masterpiece!

He's made a lot of good ones but this is probably the best thing Duchaufour's ever made. It might be the best oriental I've ever worn and it's enough of a chypre to give it the feel of something that's seen a lot more of the world than most people who will ever wear it have.

A dream of a fragrance. Retro but completely modern.
    Last edited by pluran; 1st December 2012 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    He's made a lot of good ones but this is probably the best thing Duchaufour's ever made. It might be the best oriental I've ever worn and it's enough of a chypre to give it the feel of something that's seen a lot more of the world than most people who will ever wear it have.

Well said Pluran. +1

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

+2

I've now tried a few more 2012 releases, but I think this is my favorite fragrance released this year. Which is funny, considering I've purchased a few other 2012 releases but still haven't pulled the trigger on this one...

This is one of the few scents where I sampled it and later found myself daydreaming about it's scent imprinted on my mind. I've find myself wondering, "Oh yeah, that smell... I'd love to smell that again. What was that? Oh, right, Chypre Palatin..."

I'm wearing this today. Unlike some others, I definitely experience this as a chypre. And although I don't think I'd ever mistake it for something vintage, it does strike me as very classic.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

anyone else getting Bois du Portugal vibe from this one?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    This is one of the few scents where I sampled it and later found myself daydreaming about it's scent imprinted on my mind. I've find myself wondering, "Oh yeah, that smell... I'd love to smell that again. What was that? Oh, right, Chypre Palatin..."
    Ha this totally happens to me too. Thanks for putting it into words.

Still curious to try this one...