Code of Conduct

Default A guy diving into tuberose: Criminelle or Carnal?

Until recently, I thought I hated white florals. Tuberose reminded me of, well, my mom. She used to wear Poison. A lot.

Then, about a month ago, I felt a weird craving to smell the note again. Or rather, a fascination or an impulse. Wasn't sure at all that I liked it. Just that I wanted to wrap my mind around it. (This sort of fascination mixed with trepidation usually signals I'm about to fall for something.) So I went out and got one of the inexpensive travel bottles of Histoires de Parfums Tubereuse 3 Animale. Not bad.

I read a bunch about Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle. I sprayed some on at Barney's to get the experience for myself. I actually LIKE the menthol opening, and, yes indeed, its transformation into a beautiful realistic flower is remarkable. But that floral it turns into... well... on its own, is it so exciting, I wondered? It seemed a bit quiet. A bit ... untroubled. Kind of ho-hum after the opening.

Last night I spritzed (a small spritz) of Malle's Carnal Flower on my arm. Which then exploded into the rest of my evening. But I wasn't repulsed. I mean, sure, it was a big white flower, but it also felt fresh, sharp, and a little green. Not like grandma's suffocating perfume, certainly. I could almost see rocking this. The only letdown was the far dry-down (which I sniffed the next morning!), which was a wan little thing -- pale and feminine in a rather generic sense, to me.

Anyway, guys, what think you: I'm tempted to invest in the Serge based on its reputation and because I appreciate that opening, but what's your experience? Is most of the life of TC just that quieter flower, pretty and untroubled? Is the opening drama the real reason this frag gets so much attention? Seems like a neat trick once or twice, but then, I have to have the stuff on the rest of the day. (Still, if some of that menthol hung around, maybe if I sprayed under my shirt, well, that could work.)

And as far as Carnal Flower -- damn, I can't deny that stuff smelled good. Any experience on how this comes off on a guy? Sort of a crisp, fresh, elegant effect?

I sort of wish the opening of Tubereuse Criminelle led to the tuberose of Carnal Flower. But then, we can't have it all.

And wait a minute -- did I just write a whole post going on about buying a tuberose fragrance? That's ... not me at all ... or ... damn ... I don't know who I am anymore!

Default Re: A guy diving into tuberose: Criminelle or Carnal?

Have you tried Histoires de Parfums Tuberose 3 Animale - created as a masculine tuberose?

They're both superb, with the edge probably going to Carnal Flower. But no tuberose experience would be complete without at least sampling the incomparably shameless Fracas.

Sound Scents

Carnal Flower. I confess it is difficult for me to wear (as I have the same problem wearing most white florals) but make no mistake it is an exceptional composition that I do enjoy wearing from time to time.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Carnal Flower was one of my first niche experiences, and perhaps my first real fragrance love, so my vote goes for that. I find it very fresh and appropriate for a guy, and I've received some pretty strong compliments while wearing it (so I don't think it comes across as too feminine).

Also, I find it works just as well in the sunny heat as it does dressed up in the cold. While it's not too versatile because it's pretty potent and makes a statement, it's a statement you can make in many different settings.

I enjoy Tuberose Criminelle too, but to me the excitement is all over after the opening, and I need more than a good opening to love something fully.

You should also check out Fracas, as mentioned earlier, and Kilian Beyond Love, which is a cool tuberose at night compared to the sunny vibrant tuberose of Carnal Flower.

Both are very well made, and love them.

If i were you, i would have grab both.

If down to 1, then i'll choose Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle, just by a nose
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have you tried Histoires de Parfums Tuberose 3 Animale - created as a masculine tuberose?
    Yep! As noted above, I grabbed a travel bottle of this as a first tender, fearful toe into the tuberose tub. Haven't worn it for a full day yet, but test sprays on my arm have been good so far. I wish it didn't have whatever kind of white musk it uses, though. I'm super sensitive to one or two white musks -- they come across as screechy and overpowering to me. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    I enjoy Tuberose Criminelle too, but to me the excitement is all over after the opening, and I need more than a good opening to love something fully.
    This is exactly my hesitation with Tuberose Criminelle. Unless that complicating menthol lasts throughout the scent in a meaningful way (it didn't when sprayed on my arm, but maybe it would if it were under my shirt -- I notice my shirt tends to hold top notes a bit), it may not have enough depth to "go the distance" as a regular full-day wear. I'd love to hear more folks experience with it in this regard, but I really appreciate the comments so far.

Sorry, Can't choose, both.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The only experience I have with tuberose is Narcisso Rodriguez For Him Musk version. It has a prominent tuberose note which I find very pleasant.

Have you tried Creed Windsor? Even though many has said it is a rose-prominent fragrance, it comes off as a dry, woody tuberose with a camphoraceous opening that reminded me a lot of Tubereuse Criminelle.

I went through the same process not too long ago. I ended up with Carnal Flower. Love it but have to admit that I don't wear it that often.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Richard James Savile Row edt is a great masculine tuberose, but unfortunately it is very difficult to find these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Sorry, Can't choose, both.
    Yep.

for swap/sale:

save up... and get both.

I find Carnal Flower to be easier to wear than Criminelle. However, I wouldn't go as far as calling Carnal Flower a tuberose scent, it is a bunch of white flowers thrown together without any stress on any of them individually. Criminelle, on the other hand, is all about the tuberose with out any note to really interferes, very very realistic, one of the most realistic tuberose I've ever smelled. However, due to the strange opening and the realness of the tuberose smell the occasion to wear Criminelle is really limited

I'm too finding myself debating about buying them due to the price of Carnal Flower and the wearability of Criminelle

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Tubereuse Criminelle gets a little too sweet on me so it'll have to be Carnal Flower but both are difficult wears imho. I prefer HdP's Tubereuse Capriceuse' iris/tuberose textural play or By Kilian Beyond Love's fresh yet more laidback approach.

Quote Originally Posted by frug View Post
    They're both superb, with the edge probably going to Carnal Flower. But no tuberose experience would be complete without at least sampling the incomparably shameless Fracas.
    Agreed, and try Fracas (shameless it is)!
    BTW: your description is perfect; I find them lazy versus tempting.
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

I love both but, in the end, I find Tubereuse Criminelle easier to wear. Sounds impossible but it's a fact. CF can turn extremely overpowering some days...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Tubereuse Criminelle gets a little too sweet on me so it'll have to be Carnal Flower but both are difficult wears imho. I prefer HdP's Tubereuse Capriceuse' iris/tuberose textural play or By Kilian Beyond Love's fresh yet more laidback approach.
    Ah, good suggestion. I tend to like iris (thanks to my long love affair with Dior Homme), so I'll have to give HdP's Tubereuse 1 a try. I do like the idea of tuberose as one element of a more complex composition, though the sheer beauty of Carnal Flower is captivating.

I'm still surprised I'm coming around to this note. Now it seems anything is possible.

Dependent

Carnal Flower is amazing, but I do find it a bit overwhelming and not particularly masculine.

I haven't tried all of em, but my favorite masculine tuberose use is in the terrific XPEC Original. It's surrounded by green, bitter herbs and dark patchouli, aromatics and woods.

I'd love to check out XPEC Original -- sounds promising -- but it doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. MonkeyBars, where did you manage to find it?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I'd love to check out XPEC Original -- sounds promising -- but it doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. MonkeyBars, where did you manage to find it?
    Well it's on my wishlist. A kind BNer sent me a used official sample.

I see it on pampered.com and royalshave.com.

How exciting that you're getting into tuberose. Probably my favorite note in all perfume. Here's a good read: http://thecandyperfumeboy.com/the-ca...e-to/tuberose/ and plus, he's got a more recent post about Tauer's Loretta, which you should also try.

I'd also suggest Vierges et Toreros by Etat Libre d'Orange, which is a very oily, smoky leather with tuberose just under the surface. You might also like Tubereuse Couture by Parfumerie Generale.

As for TC and CF, I couldn't choose and ended up with both. But I agree that you really should love more than just the topnotes if you want to buy TC.

I agree with the many comments that Carnal Flower is not an easy wear. Certainly not something you'd wear every day, and it's not a scent I grab on a whim.

However, CF is great for special occasions, and there have been times where I couldn't imagine wearing anything but Carnal Flower. I wore it for New Year's Eve last year, and my brother and friends kept commenting how perfect it was (and they lamented their own poor fragrance choices). For a fun, special evening (or day), Carnal Flower excels.

Thanks again for all the helpful information. Given the notion that Carnal Flower isn't an easy wear, can anyone comment on the day-to-day experience of wearing Tubereuse Criminelle? What's the effect, feel, and experience, especially beyond the top notes?

Blog Entries

+1 for Tubereuse Couture; very easily wearable for a man, IMO.

l too find Tuberose Criminelle rather quiet & dull after the opening. l don't even get that much tuberose from it!

l have never smelled Carnal Flower on a man, but l think its green coolness would work beautifully. IMO there is no better interpretation of tuberose.

By all means try Fracas - she is indeed shameless! - but be warned, she is powerfully feminine. l would love to meet the guy that can pull this one off.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yes, this one works for me.