Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default What female scents are even deadlier on the male?

In life, and another place, I've been having a debate on which made-for-the-ladies fragrances can work with success and smiles all round on the right gentleman.

So far I've received over 100 suggestions ranging from sublime - Shalimar - to the, if not ridiculous then slightly more unusual - Britney Spears Fantasy.

I've volunteered to try out the top picks - no sabotage please, I don't need to smell like the fool I truly am - and keep the world updated on my progress through reviews and regular posts.

If there's a hidden secret joy that you'd like to share with me - and fellow Basenoters - or a feminine frag you've always thought would go well on a man, now's your chance to have them tested out.

Basically I'm your human perfume guinea pig - treat me kindly, please.

To set the ball rolling I'm working my way through the top 20 tips I've had in so far - Shalimar and Tabu being the first two, but am always open to more pointers... so get pointing!!

- - - Updated - - -

In starting with Shalimar I feel I can't be accused of lacking either courage or ambition.

Everything about this from the Ottoman / Csarina / chandelier bottle - to the genesis of the name and the perfume's inspiration in the past to its own history and reputation (yes the saleswoman actually asked me if I was looking for something for my grandmother) atest to towering femininity.

Everything speaks of confidence, of sophistication of intrigue and intense emotion.

Everything about Shalimar is woman, and a certain proud, self-aware but never self-conscious, glamorously self-posesed woman with that.

So with brass in pocket and a deep breath I take the plunge (once said shop assistant was persuaded to spray on my pulse points and not my dear deceased grandmother's)... and I find I myself diving into a pool of pure warmth and velveteen comfort, only a sensuous wave or two to knock me off balance and a rip tide to tear me under must I navigate.

Frankly, this had me from hello, the minute the tips of my fingers entered Shalimar's waters I was a gonna. The amazing richness of the bergamot and orange opening seduced me immediately: it's a sort of citrus creme, a Cointreau creme brulee.

Yes that's it, a Cointreau creme brulee, for after the orange: vanilla. Beautiful vanilla but with oodles of cream and something in the background a hint of brandy or rum - perhaps just wooden barrels in the middle notes.

For a moment I thought that the whole delicious dessert was about to turn powder cake on me, but it was a confection, a mere passing illusion and I was able to tread water in my vanilla pod pond for several hours - the only change being a few fires or were they incense cones being lit poolside and someone cutting back a flower border further afield. But that point I was too lost in my reverie to properly distinguish the notes.

Shalimar was created within a decade of the death of Mata Hari and as Josephine Baker was scaling to the heights of her fame in the decadent Paris of the 1920s. The new Art Deco style was supplanting the rotten flower of art nouveau, Jazz music replacing opera comique and the modern world was just beginning.

It's not going to far to say that I feel a new perfume age is beginning for me today...

Immense. Exquisite. And, I have a presentiment, indispensable.

Next I tried Tabu by Dana....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Assiduosity View Post
    In life, and another place, I've been having a debate on which made-for-the-ladies fragrances can work with success and smiles all round on the right gentleman.

So far I've received over 100 suggestions ranging from sublime - Shalimar - to the, if not ridiculous then slightly more unusual - Britney Spears Fantasy.

I've volunteered to try out the top picks - no sabotage please, I don't need to smell like the fool I truly am - and keep the world updated on my progress through reviews and regular posts.

If there's a hidden secret joy that you'd like to share with me - and fellow Basenoters - or a feminine frag you've always thought would go well on a man, now's your chance to have them tested out.

Basically I'm your human perfume guinea pig - treat me kindly, please.

To set the ball rolling I'm working my way through the top 20 tips I've had in so far - Shalimar and Tabu being the first two, but am always open to more pointers... so get pointing!!

- - - Updated - - -

In starting with Shalimar I feel I can't be accused of lacking either courage or ambition.

Everything about this from the Ottoman / Csarina / chandelier bottle - to the genesis of the name and the perfume's inspiration in the past to its own history and reputation (yes the saleswoman actually asked me if I was looking for something for my grandmother) atest to towering femininity.

Everything speaks of confidence, of sophistication of intrigue and intense emotion.

Everything about Shalimar is woman, and a certain proud, self-aware but never self-conscious, glamorously self-posesed woman with that.

So with brass in pocket and a deep breath I take the plunge (once said shop assistant was persuaded to spray on my pulse points and not my dear deceased grandmother's)... and I find I myself diving into a pool of pure warmth and velveteen comfort, only a sensuous wave or two to knock me off balance and a rip tide to tear me under must I navigate.

Frankly, this had me from hello, the minute the tips of my fingers entered Shalimar's waters I was a gonna. The amazing richness of the bergamot and orange opening seduced me immediately: it's a sort of citrus creme, a Cointreau creme brulee.

Yes that's it, a Cointreau creme brulee, for after the orange: vanilla. Beautiful vanilla but with oodles of cream and something in the background a hint of brandy or rum - perhaps just wooden barrels in the middle notes.

For a moment I thought that the whole delicious dessert was about to turn powder cake on me, but it was a confection, a mere passing illusion and I was able to tread water in my vanilla pod pond for several hours - the only change being a few fires or were they incense cones being lit poolside and someone cutting back a flower border further afield. But that point I was too lost in my reverie to properly distinguish the notes.

Shalimar was created within a decade of the death of Mata Hari and as Josephine Baker was scaling to the heights of her fame in the decadent Paris of the 1920s. The new Art Deco style was supplanting the rotten flower of art nouveau, Jazz music replacing opera comique and the modern world was just beginning.

It's not going to far to say that I feel a new perfume age is beginning for me today...

Immense. Exquisite. And, I have a presentiment, indispensable.

Next I tried Tabu by Dana....
    A tale from my second day of wondering from the world of men into the unexplored country that is the land of female fragrances.

Having been welcomed gently into this realm by Shalimar, urged by many fine Fragranticans I broke, or rather broke into the Tabu.

The bottle is cheap, the packaging is crummy (though encouragingly lacking in ingredients), the liquid is the colour neon amber would be if such a thing were possible and the strength is Eau de Cologne.

The first shock: the power and quantity of spray. Then: the juice keeps its colour, that electric topaz, on my skin: a treacle splash dripping down from my wrists.

A brief scream of orange and then... an olafactory transportation. It is twenty years ago and I am in Camden Market in London. Not then entirely consumed by the soul eating juvenile tourists of the World, but still a place with genuine edge: where drugs can be scored, propositions made and accepted, vintage clothes tried on and vintage hippies regarded close up. Perhaps the Haight-Ashbury or the seedier parts of the Left Bank near Rue Mouffetard carry similar remembrances?

This smell is benzoin, not days or weeks but years of incense sticks and cones and resins of all kinds burnt day and night. The odour has invaded clothes, hair, furniture and is the smell not of a place or person but a way of life.

A way of life worn out by too much free love and cheap intoxicants, too many written off mornings and hazy afternoons, a clutch of failed marriages and innumerable hopeless way out business ideas.

If this was created as the perfume of a whore it is now the scent of a sixties slut now in her sixties - dangerous, dirty and morally broken.

But ah, there's more, the caravan carries spices too a little coriander, definite patchouli and maybe clove.

The effect is heavy, soporific and very unclean - I run my fingers over where the scent was sprayed and expect stickiness, a layer or film of filth - but no, there's nothing there. Perhaps the corruption is inside.

Remarkably, the dry down and later stages serve to increase the silage or at least the persistence of Tabu is impossible to ignore for me as much as anyone who comes my way.

This is a poem for fellow travellers, for people likely to be convicted of un-American activities for those on the wrong side of the law even if they were born on the right side of the tracks.

As to whether this lady goes for women or men - that's as irrelevant a question as it would have been in a commune in Big Sur in '69. Besides she's a whore - you pays your money and she's yours.

I won't be asking Tabu around regularly, she'd scare away too many friends and the family would disown me. But even in what must be her latter years, and I suspect a former shadow of herself, on an afternoon where I have nothing to do but read Gurdjieff and The Joy of Sex and contemplate my own navel she'll make great company, and god what stories.

Beside once you've broken a Tabu... there's no going back.
    Last edited by Assiduosity; 9th December 2012 at 09:43 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What female scents are even deadlier on the male?

A Basenotes favorite would be Sycomore by Chanel. It is strictly a feminine scent on this website but gets a lot of wears from the veteran members.

I've only tried two feminine scents but they are technically unisex on this website. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 and Cefiro by Floris

They are both heavily marketed towards women but work very well on a man. I know I don't have a lot of scents but strangely enough, these are my two top compliment getters. Cefiro being the top one, I don't agree with the Basenotes reviews on it.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

YSL Opium, especially vintage EdP -- easily my favorite female-marketed fragrance. I've stolen it from my wife for years.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Have you ever compared it to the Opium Pour Homme, edp?

Yes, I own Opium pour Homme EdP and EdT. I've purchased Opium EdT and EdP several times for my wife. I like them all, but the men's versions are quite different from the female. In common: dense, almost druggy oriental feel. The women's version is far heavier on warm, spicy notes, and that's what's really deadly. Highly recommended to all open-minded male BNers.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    A Basenotes favorite would be Sycomore by Chanel. It is strictly a feminine scent on this website but gets a lot of wears from the veteran members.

I've only tried two feminine scents but they are technically unisex on this website. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 and Cefiro by Floris

They are both heavily marketed towards women but work very well on a man. I know I don't have a lot of scents but strangely enough, these are my two top compliment getters. Cefiro being the top one, I don't agree with the Basenotes reviews on it.
    I have a feeling about Floris, Creed and Grossmith that these 'Old English' houses are very blurred when it comes to the gender of their scents - Cefiro is not one I'm familiar with so will be happy to give it a test drive.

Bond is a house that has only recently appeared on my radar, being woefully behind the curve New Haarleem may be a way to bring myself up to speed.

Sycomore has been mentioned by others and is currently on my programme for a walk in the park sometime between now and the holiday season.

Thanks so much for getting the ball rolling...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Yes, I own Opium pour Homme EdP and EdT. I've purchased Opium EdT and EdP several times for my wife. I like them all, but the men's versions are quite different from the female. In common: dense, almost druggy oriental feel. The women's version is far heavier on warm, spicy notes, and that's what's really deadly. Highly recommended to all open-minded male BNers.
    Aaah. Opium. This is one I've thought about repeatedly mysefl, but never dared to try. I've been surprised that you're the first to through its hat into the ring, but I'm more than happy to consider it...

Black Orchid by Tom Ford - a very rich, complex and dark potion of chocolate and patchouli and blackcurrant. Technically for the ladies but I just adore this on my skin.

Blog Entries

I have a little partial decant of J'Adore parfum that I sneak out every once in a while. I find it beautiful but very feminine; I really can't think of a situation where I'd be comfortable wearing it in public. : )

Edit: After re-reading the opening post, my suggestions are Comme des Garcons White and Feminite du Bois by Serge Lutens. These are two that I find somewhat feminine but do actually wear in public. : )
    Currently wearing: Cardinal by Heeley

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have been repeatedly told by several persons on BN, YT, etc. that Midnight Poison is a feminine parfum, that should actually have been launched as the first, male poison by the Dior House. I have never been into women's fragrances, the closest I have been is Dior Homme and Dior Homme intense, and perhaps Midnight in Paris, edp. But, I am very tempted to try Midnight Poison especially since Brian, aka Le Gran Duc, recommends it so highly. Are their any male, BN members who have tried Midnight Poison who can provide me with further details? Thank you.

Fully agree that Shalimar and Tabu are wonderfully masculine too. Vintage Tabu is much better than the modern one. Since you appear to favor the classics, Arpege is woody and will work just as well; and My Sin is as dirty on men as it is on women.

More food for thought: Aromatics Elixir (femme) versus Aramis 900 (macho). Any difference? Estee Lauder is known for using pretty much the same scent on women and men - just under a different name. Another example: Azuree (femme) and Aramis (macho).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Are their any male, BN members who have tried Midnight Poison who can provide me with further details? Thank you.
    Yep. It works, very nice stuff. Le Grand Duc also recommends Hypnotic Poison, and it works well, too. You can easily cadge a spray of either at many mainstream department stores. Give them try, let us know what you think.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thank you. I will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Black Orchid by Tom Ford - a very rich, complex and dark potion of chocolate and patchouli and blackcurrant. Technically for the ladies but I just adore this on my skin.
    I agree, Black Orchid is complex and also somewhat "dirty", heavy and intense, so it fits perfectly a man. If you like it, you may also like Black Orchid Voile de Fleur, which is lighter and more ladylike, but also can be worn by a man.
    Another that I like a lot is the original (1860) Zinnia by Floris. I haven't tried the reformulated version (1990), but I doubt they could duplicate the original.

I would add Arpege, Norell and (shame on me) Secret of Venus.
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 30th November 2012 at 02:05 AM.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Of course Black Orchid! And the Poisons mentioned too. I will add Addict. Strangely Womanity can be good too. I also like Alien. There are many that I have enjoyed from time to time.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Boths poisons are a must try, they are not precisely femenine, specially midnight, it's perfect for patchouli lovers.
    We want a niche forum.

This is a little random, but ever since I first sniffed it I've wanted to smell MDCI Peche Cardinal on a man. Especially an unreconstructed one.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Now, Black Orchid, I have this. I was given it as a gift and only subsequently did I discover that it's apparently one for the ladies.

I've fallen in love with its bitter chocolate, patchouli and dark fruit - I get damson - and it's become a dear friend, someone that can be relied upon to escort me to a special occasion or to keep company with me other nearest and dearest when stylishly entertaining at home.

This perfume inspires in me the desire to dress up - I don't mean Superman costume - a tuxedo jacket perhaps, in velvet, claret-coloured velvet with broad satin trim.

I feel this one demands a full review.

As to it's inclination I was recently in Istanbul and found it being sampled liberally and enthusiastically targeted at young men by a hoard of sales assistants. Apparently this marketing is not uncommon in the Middle East.

To wit, so far as I'm concerned this little Ottoman wonder is definitely as much for the boys as for the girls.

- - - Updated - - -

J'adore j'adore on my female chums. But yes, I can see why it might a secret passion.

I wonder if any others have experience of this in public?

Uniquely, and I feel quite surprisingly, you are the first person to suggest anything from either Comme des Garcons or Serge Lutens, yet I have often felt that there was a little ambiguity in the offerings of both these houses.

How did others react, partocularly to the du Bois?

Blog Entries

How about Ça Sent Beau by Kenzo? Luca Turin gave it a 5-star review. I have a mini bottle and I've sampled it a few times, but not really given it a full wear. I think it's meant as a feminine fragrance but I think a man could wear it. It's an odd fragrance, I like it but it's a little challenging.
    Currently wearing: Cardinal by Heeley

Shalimar is simply wonderous - it's very late Autumn here in London and the weather has turned crisp and cold - Shalimar seems to beckon like a a warm vanilla blanket by a gentle fire. It's on my Christmas list and I can only hope that dear Pere Noel is kind. I would love attempt vintage Tabu, what I have is splendidly uncouth but gone in an instant.

Arpege is the signature fragrance of a very dear femme friend who has it in vintage - I have heard that it's been subjected to something of a Spanish inquisition of a reformulation this has somewhat dissuaded me from committing. Everything about My Sin from name to packaging to reputation attracts, but might it just be too much?

On the American front, Aromatics Elixir is on the programme and despite it being of mentioned as packing the machismo you're the first person to actually recommend Azuree.

Food for thought and the nose indeed.

On Estee Lauder, I've been told that this house is more resistant to reformulation than others - is this the general experience out there?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I have been repeatedly told by several persons on BN, YT, etc. that Midnight Poison is a feminine parfum, that should actually have been launched as the first, male poison by the Dior House. I have never been into women's fragrances, the closest I have been is Dior Homme and Dior Homme intense, and perhaps Midnight in Paris, edp. But, I am very tempted to try Midnight Poison especially since Brian, aka Le Gran Duc, recommends it so highly. Are their any male, BN members who have tried Midnight Poison who can provide me with further details? Thank you.
    I have been partaking of Poison - both at Midnight and during hypnosis over the last day or so - I'm still mulling my, generally positive, opinions and will share in more detail soon.

There are definite common interests with Dior Homme and Homme Intense so I feel that you should feel at home...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Yep. It works, very nice stuff. Le Grand Duc also recommends Hypnotic Poison, and it works well, too. You can easily cadge a spray of either at many mainstream department stores. Give them try, let us know what you think.
    I think on balance Hypnotic is my favourite of the two, but it has an unexpected resonance that might mean I wouldn't wear it as often as otherwise.

Vintage Tabu lasts forever, especially in the parfum concentration. Yes, Arpege has been reformulated quite a bit over time. It is now less floral, a touch sweeter, and probably more intense than in the past; but it is still very good, though not true to its beginnings. My Sin has unfortunately been discontinued altogether, civet is quite out of fashion these days; whether you like it or not depends on whether you are friendly with the furry animals (how's your reaction to Jicky or Mouchoir de Monsieur? or even the drydown of vintage Joy?)

I agree too that Estee Lauder has preserved her formulas more faithfully than most other brands. Perhaps because they didn't use many of the restricted ingredients, or perhaps just because they didn't try to modernize them (they rather use flankers for the purpose).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    I agree, Black Orchid is complex and also somewhat "dirty", heavy and intense, so it fits perfectly a man. If you like it, you may also like Black Orchid Voile de Fleur, which is lighter and more ladylike, but also can be worn by a man.
    Another that I like a lot is the original (1860) Zinnia by Floris. I haven't tried the reformulated version (1990), but I doubt they could duplicate the original.

I would add Arpege, Norell and (shame on me) Secret of Venus.
    Yes, Black Orchid does have that essential component of dirt or grit that sets a truly great scent apart.

So much of Floris seems interchangeable - many of their manly offerings are snapped up the more powerful of my female friends.

Arpege - as before, has it been reformulated out of existence?

Norell, I'm fascinated, I've never heard of or seen this and the house doesn't ring a bell - excuse my ignorance but is this only available in the US? It seems very keenly priced.

Secret of Venus? Again I'm intrigued. I don't think I've seen this even in my reliable local drugstore -normally a dusty Aladdin's cave of long-forgotten fragrance. The notes sound wonderful, is it very, very sweet. Do tell more...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Of course Black Orchid! And the Poisons mentioned too. I will add Addict. Strangely Womanity can be good too. I also like Alien. There are many that I have enjoyed from time to time.
    Dior Addict? Interesting. I'm just forming my thoughts on that house's other poisons at the moment - perhaps given my propensity for the original Miss Dior I could indeed get hooked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    This is a little random, but ever since I first sniffed it I've wanted to smell MDCI Peche Cardinal on a man. Especially an unreconstructed one.
    My goodness that is random... I've always thought myself the new man so possibly I'm not old fashioned enough for coconut, fruit and white florals. It would take a brave man indeed...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by My_pep_pep View Post
    How about Ça Sent Beau by Kenzo? Luca Turin gave it a 5-star review. I have a mini bottle and I've sampled it a few times, but not really given it a full wear. I think it's meant as a feminine fragrance but I think a man could wear it. It's an odd fragrance, I like it but it's a little challenging.
    Odd is good - might try a blotter. I generally find white florals err... challenging. Having said that I'm not averse to Ma Griffe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Vintage Tabu lasts forever, especially in the parfum concentration. Yes, Arpege has been reformulated quite a bit over time. It is now less floral, a touch sweeter, and probably more intense than in the past; but it is still very good, though not true to its beginnings. My Sin has unfortunately been discontinued altogether, civet is quite out of fashion these days; whether you like it or not depends on whether you are friendly with the furry animals (how's your reaction to Jicky or Mouchoir de Monsieur? or even the drydown of vintage Joy?)

I agree too that Estee Lauder has preserved her formulas more faithfully than most other brands. Perhaps because they didn't use many of the restricted ingredients, or perhaps just because they didn't try to modernize them (they rather use flankers for the purpose).

cacio
    Interesting what you say about vintage Tabu - so its the longevity that's very different. After the initial burst I find that it dries down and remains persistent (I won't say linear as I like the accord / dischord) but that it goes within a couple of hours. I presumed that maybe vintage changed more.

I'm persuaded to try Arpege as I have been hearing about and smelling its virtues for such a long time.

I'm not averse to furry animals and their many uses, I did grow up in a house where a rabbit's place was in the pot!

Jicky I love and regard as being beyond genders - Mouchoir de Monsieur I need to try again.

Oh if everyone were to use flankers rather than reformulations - so much more honest. And if an ingredient is no longer available why not simply date the reformulation Arpege 1997 - rather like a vintage wine...

I generally ignore marketing as to "feminine" vs "masculine" vs "unisex" scents. I like what I like, and what I like, I wear, regardless of how it's marketed. As one of the guys who regularly posts on the women's SotD thread says, fragrances don't have genitalia.

That said, someone's personal *preference* may lean towards more historically (or stereotypically) "masculine" or "feminine" scent associations. So for me, it ends up not being about bucking marketing or the associations of others but bucking my own preferences and predilictions and stepping out of my comfort zone to challenge myself with new things. I'll try anything once, including, btw, M7 and Kouros. I don't care for M7 because I'm not an oud fan, not because it's masculine. I actually really enjoy Kouros even though it's not part of my typical fragrance profile.

I own and wear lots of "masculine"-leaning fragrances (e.g., Halston Z-14, Lutens Gris Clair, Lutens Ambre Sultan, TF Amber Absolute, Mazzolari Patchouly, Arquiste Aleksandr, Lutens Fumerie Turque, Kerosene Copper Skies, L'Artisan L'Eau du Navigateur, Malle Musc Ravageur, CdG Avignon and Kyoto, and TF Tobacco Vanille).

Personally, I think the Lutens catalog is mostly unisex, and I believe I've read that Lutens himself considers his entire line to be unisex.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think what you're doing is great, and I like encouraging everyone to break out of the boxes that marketers like to put us in and just try as many different fragrances as you can. And if you like something, wear it, regardless of what others might think.

My boyfriend wears a wide range fragrances, including many "masculine" Montales (e.g., Patchouli Leaves, Oud Cuir d'Arabie, Blue Amber) and Sonoma Scent Studio offerings (e.g., Fireside Intense, Incense Pure, and Tabac Aurea) because he loves patchouli, ouds, ambers, and smoky fragrances. But he also loves Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur and the original Perry Ellis (not the new "Original" Perry Ellis), and he doesn't shy away from florals. And when he wears the florals, oh my goodness, my knees go weak. His go-to florals are Montale Black Aoud (roses + oud), Malle Portrait of a Lady (rose + patchouli), and by far the absolute most sexy thing on him is Malle Iris Poudre. Utterly incredible. SSS Voile de Violette is also amazing on him.

And there are lots of guys who post on the women's side who routinely wear Chanel No. 5. I'm not an aldehydes fan, so it does nothing for me. And a few also wear Carnal Flower, which I think would be incredible on the man who likes it and chooses to carry it off as his own.

There's something very, very sexy about iconclasts, and busting through people's expectations. So don't let others' expectations narrow your experimentation. If you're going to do this, do it all the way.

My recommendations:
    Malle Carnal Flower
    Malle Iris Poudre
    Malle Portrait of a Lady
    Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle (LOVE the menthol opening)
    Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger
    Lutens Sarrasins
    Lutens Une Bois Vanille
    Lutens Feminite du Bois or Bois de Violette
    Lutens Daim Blond
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue
    Guerlain Samsara
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Histoire de Parfums Tubereuse 1 - Capricieuse
    Histoire de Parfums 1969
    Histoire de Parfums 1889 Moulin Rouge
    Parfumerie Generale Felanilla
    Sonoma Scent Studio Winter Woods
    Sonoma Scent Studio Voile de Violette
    Sonoma Scent Studio Vintage Rose
    Etat Libre d'Orange Jasmin et Cigarette
    The Different Company Jasmin de Nuit
    Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Tonka
    Chanel No. 5
    Chanel No. 19
    Chanel Bois des Illes
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 30th November 2012 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    I generally ignore marketing as to "feminine" vs "masculine" vs "unisex" scents. I like what I like, and what I like, I wear, regardless of how it's marketed. As one of the guys who regularly posts on the women's SotD thread says, fragrances don't have genitalia.

That said, someone's personal *preference* may lean towards more historically (or stereotypically) "masculine" or "feminine" scent associations. So for me, it ends up not being about bucking marketing or the associations of others but bucking my own preferences and predilictions and stepping out of my comfort zone to challenge myself with new things. I'll try anything once, including, btw, M7 and Kouros. I don't care for M7 because I'm not an oud fan, not because it's masculine. I actually really enjoy Kouros even though it's not part of my typical fragrance profile.

I own and wear lots of "masculine"-leaning fragrances (e.g., Halston Z-14, Lutens Gris Clair, Lutens Ambre Sultan, TF Amber Absolute, Mazzolari Patchouly, Arquiste Aleksandr, Lutens Fumerie Turque, Kerosene Copper Skies, L'Artisan L'Eau du Navigateur, Malle Musc Ravageur, CdG Avignon and Kyoto, and TF Tobacco Vanille).

Personally, I think the Lutens catalog is mostly unisex, and I believe I've read that Lutens himself considers his entire line to be unisex.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think what you're doing is great, and I like encouraging everyone to break out of the boxes that marketers like to put us in and just try as many different fragrances as you can. And if you like something, wear it, regardless of what others might think.

My boyfriend wears a wide range fragrances, including many "masculine" Montales (e.g., Patchouli Leaves, Oud Cuir d'Arabie, Blue Amber) and Sonoma Scent Studio offerings (e.g., Fireside Intense, Incense Pure, and Tabac Aurea) because he loves patchouli, ouds, ambers, and smoky fragrances. But he also loves Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur and the original Perry Ellis (not the new "Original" Perry Ellis), and he doesn't shy away from florals. And when he wears the florals, oh my goodness, my knees go weak. His go-to florals are Montale Black Aoud (roses + oud), Malle Portrait of a Lady (rose + patchouli), and by far the absolute most sexy thing on him is Malle Iris Poudre. Utterly incredible. SSS Voile de Violette is also amazing on him.

And there are lots of guys who post on the women's side who routinely wear Chanel No. 5. I'm not an aldehydes fan, so it does nothing for me. And a few also wear Carnal Flower, which I think would be incredible on the man who likes it and chooses to carry it off as his own.

There's something very, very sexy about iconclasts, and busting through people's expectations. So don't let others' expectations narrow your experimentation. If you're going to do this, do it all the way.

My recommendations:
    Malle Carnal Flower
    Malle Iris Poudre
    Malle Portrait of a Lady
    Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger
    Lutens Sarrasins
    Lutens Une Bois Vanille
    Lutens Daim Blond
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue
    Guerlain Samsara
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Histoire de Parfums 1969
    Chanel No. 5
    Chanel No. 19
    Chanel Bois des Illes
    ... and Dioressence extract (vintage)

Dependent

Welcome Assiduosity.

I am not one for feminine scents in general. My favs tend to be unrelentingly manly juices like Yatagan and Ungaro I. I do own a few unisex frags (Zents Ore is a more floral/natural Fahrenheit, Jicky) but zero feminines.

However, one very much female-marketed fragrance -- even more surprisingly, a recent release -- somehow got under my skin: Shalimar Initial. (I'm not fond of Shalimar's powderiness. The new flanker has vanilla going on but not as much benzoin, to my nose.) Seeing the pink juice (from Guerlain?!), I was in a "girlfriend present sampling" mode, and was very surprised at the depth and maturity, considering it's marketed as an "entry-level" young woman frag. Next, I was surprised at the dryness of the citric-herbal accord in the opening, and the dry-woody-iris accord through the rest. Next, I wanted it. I've been holding back because I want to try the metaflanker Shalimar Initial l'Eau which is not to be found stateside and ought to be (by the pyramid at least) even more aromatic and bright.

The "caramel" accord does not register as the bittersweet brown stuff to my nose at all. Instead it manifests as a clear-as-bell sour cream accord right through the middle of the construction. In fact, it feels like a big splotch of civet is responsible for this 3D gourmand fascimile. I don't normally go for food associations in my frags, but this one scratches my itch just right somehow. I'm surprised by the lack of love I see for SI on BN, and very impressed by Mssr. Wasser's stunning creation.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post

My recommendations:
    Malle Carnal Flower
    Malle Iris Poudre
    Malle Portrait of a Lady
    Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger
    Lutens Sarrasins
    Lutens Une Bois Vanille
    Lutens Daim Blond
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue
    Guerlain Samsara
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Histoire de Parfums 1969
    Chanel No. 5
    Chanel No. 19
    Chanel Bois des Illes
    I am eternally in your debt for this enlightened and invigorating response.

Your points about our not only being bombarded with - largely irrelevant - gender specific advertising and being conditioned into regarding certain fragrances (like colours I guess) as being more suitable for our own sex are well made and I agree whole-heartedly.

Thank you also for your support for the project - my idea really is just to think outside the conventions and to get some genuine recommendations that will challenge my preconceptions and, hopefully, lead to some wonderful scent experiences.

The biggest thanks though for such an impressive list - so much fragrance for thought. A mildly interesting reflection - I had always perceived Lutens to be an ungendered brand until I was chastised by a sales assistant for looking at items she clearly regarded as being 'for madame'.

Oh, another thing, I'm a big fan, like some of the guys over of on the female pages of aldehydes and chypres, perhaps these types are gradually are gaining a male fan base just as they seem to be losing ground amongst women, if so, I wonder why.

The final wonderful bonus for me is that, apart from the Chanel and Guerlain suggestions, this is all new ground - a different continent to explore.

I will be sure to send back dispatched of my adventures.

Thank you once again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Welcome Assiduosity.

I am not one for feminine scents in general. My favs tend to be unrelentingly manly juices like Yatagan and Ungaro I. I do own a few unisex frags (Zents Ore is a more floral/natural Fahrenheit, Jicky) but zero feminines.

However, one very much female-marketed fragrance -- even more surprisingly, a recent release -- somehow got under my skin: Shalimar Initial. (I'm not fond of Shalimar's powderiness. The new flanker has vanilla going on but not as much benzoin, to my nose.) Seeing the pink juice (from Guerlain?!), I was in a "girlfriend present sampling" mode, and was very surprised at the depth and maturity, considering it's marketed as an "entry-level" young woman frag. Next, I was surprised at the dryness of the citric-herbal accord in the opening, and the dry-woody-iris accord through the rest. Next, I wanted it. I've been holding back because I want to try the metaflanker Shalimar Initial l'Eau which is not to be found stateside and ought to be (by the pyramid at least) even more aromatic and bright.

The "caramel" accord does not register as the bittersweet brown stuff to my nose at all. Instead it manifests as a clear-as-bell sour cream accord right through the middle of the construction. In fact, it feels like a big splotch of civet is responsible for this 3D gourmand fascimile. I don't normally go for food associations in my frags, but this one scratches my itch just right somehow. I'm surprised by the lack of love I see for SI on BN, and very impressed by Mssr. Wasser's stunning creation.
    Yatagan is a great one for me - though so strongly reminiscent of my grandfather, an inveterate pipe-smoker, that I sometimes find it a little alarming to wear.

Whilst I understand your reservations around Shalimar's powder, I can only say that it never comes to the fore on my skin the way it does on the blotter. However I am intrigued by Shalimar Initial as it's the way that vanilla is handled in the parent that really gets me and if as you say this is even stronger on the new scent so much the better.

I'm pretty sure that I have seen the Initial L'eau in a couple of places over here , so will give it a test run and let you know my thoughts.

Unfortunately, I feel that many of M. Wasser's efforts go rather unappreciated, though still finding his feet I feel he brings vigour and a commitment to the excitement of dry down to the great Guerlain.

- - - Updated - - -

As promised, I continue to be your loyal servant, posting my guinea pigging...

Day three of my walk on the wild side and into the shady alleys of femme fragrance. Having been placed under the spell of Shalimar and being broken by Tabu, was I man enough to take my Dior Poison?

The English expression goes 'What's your Poison?' meaning what will you take to drink, or these days what will you take to get you high?

Perhaps it's this sentiment of imminent undoing that Dior had in mind when naming this 80s fragrance held by many as a manly masterpiece and much-emulated not least by the house itself with flankers including Dior Hypnotic Poison with which I am primarily concerned.

Whilst the name vein of 'My Sin', 'Vol de Nuit' and of course, 'Opium' with their suggestions of the improper, the dissolute, the dangerous or despicable may be what is being mined here the scent itself is a much more restrained and altogether polite and well mannered creature.

It is always alarming when a fragrance carries a direct connection to a memory - mother in childhood, school bully, first kiss, first boss, first wife... But when the memory is more recent and more focused then the sensation I can assure is all the more unsettling for its precision and being freshly cut.

For that is the sensation that swept me up on encountering Poison Hypnotic.

It smells of an actual luxury hotel in a busy port on the Aegean: a Levantine city known throughout the world for the production of figs. Not vaguely, not reminiscently or nostalgically. Precisely.

This is the odour of the bed linens, the almonds in the lounge, the beautifully planted and kept gardens, the towels by the pool. This is the perfume of a vacation I took just weeks ago.

So what you say? Well, here's the rub: the hotel is the perfect reflection of all this scent is and is not. The hotel was no old world glamourous grande dame, no Ritz, Place Vendome, no Savoy.

No more was it an overgrown Alice in Wonderland design boutique behemoth. No see through second Empire chairs no fascinating and impractical bathrooms.

No, the hotel was brilliantly designed in the understated manner of the Swiss owners. A Barcelona chair here, walls covered with sleek panels of walnut and beaten brown leather, five light settings for the room at the touch of a button. Wonderfully conceived and very, perhaps all too considered.

And so it is with Poison Hypnotic: the notes are in their places parts learnt, well directed and thoroughly rehearsed. But vanilla, nut, wood, damson, jasmine all come together in a way that could, should be sensuous and dark but end up being, dependable.

This liquor is an exercise in beautifully crafted and sophisticated dependability.

Perfect in a hotel, less than perfect in a perfume.

But though perfection is not achieved - can it be without surprise, excitement, the touch of an artist rather than a craftsman? That is not to say that this isn't a solid piece of work for the scent exudes safety rather than just being safe - a sense of comfort in a world of turmoil, a fine hotel in an unknown city, unseen cashmere socks on a first date.

This safety even extends to a slight antiseptic quality - noticed instantly by a friend - the caraway perhaps? This dentist's mouthwash note is the only welcome sign that this well oiled machine wasn't created by an expert committee after months of deliberation.

Would I wear it? Certainly. Both this and Dior Midnight Poison read as male crossovers. For a business meeting or away in an unfamiliar place, for a walk across town on a busy day when I want to be contained in my own little aura of inaccessibility or at home in those cashmere socks with a difficult book.

I don't mean to sound mean, and I understand one can't have grand opera every day.

Sophisticated, beautifully put together and dependable - ultimately that adds up to admirable, but impossible to get truly excited about.

What's my Poison? Well in this case certainly no dirty martini, not even a Manhattan and champagne would just be too flash. Let's settle on an excellent buttery white Burgundy.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Assiduosity View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I have seen the Initial L'eau in a couple of places over here , so will give it a test run and let you know my thoughts.
    Thanks!

I love Amouage Dia woman on my SO... Very sexy floral that is perfect on a man or a woman.

POAL
    Carnal Flower
    Black Orchid
    Santal Blush
    Hypnotic Poison
    Sycomore
    Coromandel
    Jardin d'Amalfi
    Currently wearing: Tam Dao by Diptyque

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    POAL
    Carnal Flower
    Black Orchid
    Santal Blush
    Hypnotic Poison
    Sycomore
    Coromandel
    Jardin d'Amalfi
    More support for Sycomore and Coromandel - these are moving up the popularity lists.

Hypnotic Poison I've tried, liked (with reservations) and posted on above. Black Orchid I have and will post on soon.

Out of midfield comes Carnal Flower - you and a couple of others have suggested this, I love the name am but unacquainted with the odour - something about this one is drawing me in though.

Jardin d'amalfi - the pyramid reads as too citrus - but then fellow Fragranticans bring the rose right to the front. I adore rose - my very favourite shampoo reeks of roses and I've been looking for a floral the Engllish flower to the fore that a man could wear with comfort.

Thank you so much for your recommendations.

Dependent

Hi Assiduosity!

I think what you're doing is awesome haha. Do try Carnal Flower and probably Lipstick Rose as well? Might as well throw in Une Rose
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille