Code of Conduct
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Default Re: What female scents are even deadlier on the male?

Love your Paco Rabanne story! And love ur blog site!

Another vote for Diorissimo per favore.

Basenotes Plus

Sensuous
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Oh I agree, Shalimar is 100% unisex and somewhere back in the midst of time above you'll find my thoughts on it.

Great having your input.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a LOT after midnight, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Friday 15th February, I'll keep my leathers on as I'll be wearing....

Robert Piguet Bandit

What will I wear Saturday 16th February? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Caron Parfum Sacre

Britney Spears Fantasy

Cristobal Balenciaga Balenciaga L`Essence

Carven Ma Griffe

Pierre Balmain Jolie Madame

Or the newcomer...

Donna Karan Donna Karan Gold

Remember all previous votes count towards a fragrance's running total and every participant gets a new vote every day!

You have just under 17 hours... starting now.

You can now check out my thoughts on...

Gres Cabochard

In short form below or in extended format at my blog...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/02/14/un-premier-amour-a-first-love-cabochard-by-parfums-gres/

As and additional treat, anyone interested in rose perfumes from

Coty L'Aimant to Amouage Memoir Woman

Might want to take a look at my 13 roses for anyone feeling unlucky in love article... it's quite fun, honest...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/02/15/the-perfumed-bakers-dozen-thirteen-roses-for-anyone-feeling-unlucky-in-love/

- - - Updated - - -

Hello all.

Inspired by St Valentine's Day, I decided to take matters into my own hands and nominate my own perfume (fear not normal service will be resumed).

I therefore present you with the short version of the review of

Gres Cabochard

Cabochard is not what she was. Of that there can be no denying.

Today though still beautiful she has the bleak, too bony and hollow-eyed look and feel of a fashion model on the brink of despair.

But catch examples of her in her heyday and a different woman awaits you.

The ultimate in leather clad confidence, she is the chemical queen always on the lookout for a male sidekick. But for all this flint and bone oakmoss structure, the old girl could put on the curvaceous when she needed to: summoning up concupiscent curls of rose, orris root and sage seemingly on demand.

They have largely been withered away now to today’s etiolated example that can call only on watered down jasmine and synthetic if satisfying amber for strength.

Do not dismiss the latest headstrong girl because she’s still tougher than most men in the room. It’s just unfortunate she’s not the force of nature her foremother was.

But we will always have the memories.

Just as we will always have Paris.... and Paris belongs to all of us, men and women alike.

For the extended version (with music and film!) just visit The Perfumed Dandy:

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/02/14/un-premier-amour-a-first-love-cabochard-by-parfums-gres/

I do hope you will come and pay a visit and that this isn't too much of a pain.

The reason for the change is that I've been getting quite a few comments that the reviews were getting too long and were not really what the database was for.

To be honest it's a fair cop.

Also I wanted to be sure that my cast of characters would be there for all to see in posterity.

Do pop by!
    Assiduosity is The Perfumed Dandy, get to know him better at http://theperfumeddandy.com/

Still hanging on for EL Knowing Another vote for that today.

Basenotes Plus

Sensuous

It's a quite a lot after midnight, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Saturday 16th February, taking voting from three polling stations into account, I'll be wearing....

Cristbal Balenciaga Balenciaga L`Essence

What will I wear Monday 18th February?

Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Caron Parfum Sacre

Britney Spears Fantasy

Carven Ma Griffe

Or the new entrant to the chart...

Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle

Remember all previous votes count towards a fragrance's running total and every participant gets a new vote every day!

As this is the weekend that means two votes each!!

Just to let you know that as well as voting for Monday's fragrance here, you can now vote directly at The Perfume Dandy's Hit Parade

Just click on the link below to be transported directly to 'the other side'.

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/02/...-hit-parade-1/

For a limited time only you can vote both here and there - two votes a day or four at the weekend.

So, to quote MarkT and other eminent Americans...

'Vote early.Vote often.'

Some of you who missed it the first time round might also be interested to know that my review of

Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles

Is now republished at The Perfumed Dandy in full technicolor glory...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/02/...jean-desperez/

Here's to a fine fragrant weekend.

Remember you have around 48 hours... starting now.

- - - Updated - - -

From now on on Fridays I will be posting a taster of an older review of the many that I've done to coincide with it appearing on The Perfumed Dandy

Today, we leave behind post war Paris and head beyond the walls of the City of Light, to Versailles and to a

Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles

Bal a Versailles is a dangerous, irresistibly repugnant scent for men and women prepared to dance the dance of death. For all its wondrous beauty nothing can disguise the beating of its monstrous bestial heart.

Amongst its resinous superfluities beyond the brief orange opening there may be flowers and powder a plenty but this is an unapologetically animal aroma with plenty of tooth and claw.

With silage the size of a herd of wildebeest and longevity the length of an elephant's memory this is not a commitment to be taken likely.

Accept its invitation and you are bid welcome to the party of a lifetime, but stay too long and you too may succumb to the guillotine's blade.

But hell is worth the risk!!

This is the concise version of the review - a fuller story of the ills of the palace can be found with more words and some pictures at

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/02/15/the-perfumed-dandys-classic-collection-bal-a-versailles-by-jean-desperez/

Do take a peek - and why not push the names of your favorite fragrances forward a little and further towards the top 10 while your there at

http://theperfumeddandy.com/about/suggest-a-new-scent-or-recommend-an-old-one/
    Assiduosity is The Perfumed Dandy, get to know him better at http://theperfumeddandy.com/

Blog Entries

Still waiting for Fracas & Samsara to appear...

Donna Karan Gold.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Sensuous

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Still waiting for Fracas & Samsara to appear...

Donna Karan Gold.
    I'm on the edge of my seat for Fracas!

All, I faithfully promise Samsara this week and almost certainly Fracas.

No, I will promise Fracas too.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a quite a lot after midnight, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Monday 18th February, after the most titanic battle we've ever had, the barbarians are victorious, I'll be wearing....

Britney Spears Fantasy

What will I wear Tuesday 19th February?

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Caron Parfum Sacre

Carven Ma Griffe

Estée Lauder Very Estee

Just to let you know that as well as voting for Monday's fragrance here, you can now vote directly at The Perfume Dandy's Hit Parade

Just click on the link below to be transported directly to 'the other side'.

http://theperfumeddandy.com

For a limited time only you can vote both here and there - two votes a day!

Some of you who missed it the first time round might also be interested to know that my review of

Lanvin Arpege

Arpege, even in her reigned in contemporary form is a perennially prickly perfume, quite impossible to get to know at once.

Her behaviour in the opening notes is by most measures quite unseemly and to some noses downright upsetting.

But forbearance and a little understanding see this slightly acidic aledhyde blossom first into a full-bodied floral and then a warm-hearted almost wooded amber scent that never loses her edgy integrity.

Arpege can give the best in class - including the biggest names - a run for their money.
    People speak in hushed tones of her family heritage and I would have loved to have met her mother in her vintage days.

Is now available in extended form via The Perfumed Dandy in full technicolor glory...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/02/...-guest-review/

Here's to a great smelling week.

Remember have around 24 hours... starting now.
    Last edited by Assiduosity; 17th February 2013 at 11:58 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Sensuous

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsucker View Post
    I'm on the edge of my seat for Fracas!
    Your wish is my command - see below for the temporary link!

- - - Updated - - -

It's not too long after midnight, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Tuesday 19th February, the Renaissance and civilisation is restored, I'll be wearing....

Carven Ma Griffe

What will I wear Wednesday 20th February?

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Caron Parfum Sacre

Estée Lauder Very Estee

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Just to let you know that as well as voting for Tuesday's fragrance here, you can now vote directly at The Perfume Dandy's Hit Parade

Simply click on the link below to be transported directly to 'the other side'.

My review of

Robert Piguet Fracas

Is now available via The Perfumed Dandy in full technicolor glory...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/02/...cented-letter/

Due to a technical error the concise version for basenotes will be a little delayed. Ooops. Sorry about that.

It will appear here in about 12 hours time.

Basenotes Plus

Sensuous

EL Knowing

Sorry all. Wordpress ate my Fracas review - it's there but it's goobledeegook - I will post when re-translated.

In the meantime you can find it - with pretty pictures at

Today I was more careful

L’Essence de Cristobal Balenciaga is a light airy perfume resembling the half remembered memories of an evening perilously misspent.

Opening with an unexpected and unmentioned citrus jam note, the fragrance is soon subsumed into a vast array of flowers, all violets.

One could be deceived for thinking this the scent of a simple and straightforward young woman. That would be a mistake.

An internal accord of complexity and steely determination manifests itself in a vetiver, lawn grass and cedar tree background that gives the whole package genuine staying power and silage whilst remaining defiantly unsweet and uncute.

This silk ball gown contains a young woman with a past that stretches back long before last night.

And as for men? They will come and go and some of them will smell, for a time at least, of violets too.

This is a new concise style review, to ensure that the thread doesn't become totally unmanageable, to discover more of the lady in the ball gown just click below...

- - - Updated - - -

It's too long after midnight, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Wednesday 20th February, a sleeper from the house of sleepers, I'll be wearing....

Estée Lauder Sensuous

What will I wear Thursday 21st February?

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Caron Parfum Sacre

Estée Lauder Very Estee

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Histoires de Parfums 1889 Moulin Rouge

Just to let you know that as well as voting for Wednesday's fragrance here, you can now vote directly at The Perfume Dandy's Hit Parade

My concise review of

Is now uploaded.

The fuller version is now available via The Perfumed Dandy in full technicolor glory...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/02/19/birds-flying-high-lessence-cristobal-balenciaga-by-balenciaga-the-perfumed-dandys-scented-letter/

Blog Entries

Donna Karan Gold.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thierry Mugler Angel smells better on me than on my partner
    my blog : bonnygonggrijp.blogspot.com

Lalique Pour Homme

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Diorissimo

Ma Griffe by Carven

Ma Griffe is a sorrowfully optimistic scent.

It seems to know that despite its pure white floral heart it is destined to lead a cold life.

It makes a fair fist of a bright opening all aledhyde and aromatic, then transforms effortlessly into a clean and becoming bouquet of freeze dried flowers.

Though somehow these notes of gardenia, iris, orange blossom, jasmine, muguet and rose are too brittle. One senses they would break if touched.

It is this fragility, as if the whole fragrance’s slight composition where stretched out to too tight over an oakmoss structure too big and forceful for it, that is the scent’s haunting charm.

If it were not for a slight powdery sweetness that arrives midway through, this perfume would be the very epitome of sparseness.

As it is Ma Griffe is entirely sympathetic and strangely attractive in a solitary way.

It should be noted that loneliness afflicts both men and women equally, this being the appropriate accompaniment for such an unfortunate emotion I see no reason why all should not feel free to use it.

This is the concise version of the review - for the full treatment with images etc check out The Perfumed Dandy:

Shalimar

Today, Thursday 21st February, a sacred love, I'll be wearing....

Caron Parfum Sacre

What will I wear Saturday 23rd February? Please note this date is correct and I shall be in Paris!!

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Estée Lauder Very Estee

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Stella McCartney Stella

Just to let you know that as well as voting for Wednesday's fragrance here, you can now vote directly at The Perfume Dandy's Hit Parade

My concise review of

Carven Ma Griffe

Is now uploaded.

The fuller version is now available via The Perfumed Dandy in full technicolor glory...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/02/...ented-letter//

Today you have only around 16 hours... starting now!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Today... well I'm off to Paris and you'll just have to check The Perfumed Dandy to find out what I'm wearing - staff there will let you know a little before lunch...

On Saturday 23rd February, thank you very much, I'll be wearing....

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

What will I wear Monday 25th February? Please note this date is correct and I maybe be back from Paris!!

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Estée Lauder Very Estee

Stella McCartney Stella

Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta

Now I reckon you've all got three votes here and another three at The Perfumed Dandy - so go crazy!!!

Simply click on the link below to be transported directly to 'the other side', where voting starts on Saturday - all machines working...

Best of luck...

While I'm away there will be a new review of a timeless classic at The Perfumed Dandy and on Sunday a Special Guest Review by none other than our very own Mr Lanier.

Oh, and there's riddle to keep any of you with a mind for such things occupied.

Right, I'm off.

A bientot.

I've been away from this thread for a while. Glad to see it's still going. Hope to have time this weekend to get caught up here and to check out your blog.

Tom Ford Noir de Noir is a pretty feminine scent in my opinion but I love wearing it, and it gets a lot more compliments from women than my Bois d'Orage, Pure Oud or even Aventus.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Diorissimo

I will keep my vote for EL Knowing.

I can't remember if it's been mentioned in this thread but I got a peel-n-sniff sample of Donna Karan Cashmere Mist in the newspaper ads the other day. I liked it, had kind of a "freshly laundered" vibe that I find appealing. It also struck me as quite wearable by a man. The reviews here at BN didn't quite match my impression so maybe the juice is different than the ad sample.

Dependent

Actually that's a good question. How do scent cards age? Are the top notes burnt off by the time you get it? Maybe you're only getting the base. I wouldn't be surprised if the subject is explored elsewhere on BN . . .

It's a little before midnight, London and a little after in Paris. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Tomorrow Monday 25th February, after a madness of multiple voting, I'll be wearing....

Dior Diorissimo

What will I wear Tuesday 26th February?

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Estée Lauder Very Estee

Stella McCartney Stella

Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta

Guerlain Sous le Vent

You also get an additional vote if you visit The Perfumed Dandy

If you haven't seen it yet, my review of

Chanel Chanel N°5

Is now at The Perfumed Dandy too. Just click below to find it.

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/02/...ic-collection/

I'd be very interested to hear your views about a perfume that seems to divide these days as much as it once united.

- - - Updated - - -

PS

I will post a concise version of the Chanel No. 5 review - but I'm beat right now and off to bed!!

TTFN

Oh, a new option! HdP Moulin Rouge! I love this one!

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Yay for Diorissimo. Persistence pays off. But do specify whether it's the current or the vintage you're reviewing.

My next vote goes to the newcomer: Sous le Vent