Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What female scents are even deadlier on the male?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Regarding Jicky, I recommend the vintage PdT, but failing that, the modern EdP. Regardless, please mention the concentration you're sampling.
    I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

I vote for Givenchy III.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Maybe it's the risque quality of some of the recent discussions, or maybe there really is something in the (pink) water...

Thierry Mugler Womanity

She may be all woman. But hell, this sure ain't no lady.

If you smell this firecracker fig fragrance beware any wannabe big boys because this femme fatale is out to chop your balls off.

This room's just not big enough for both your sets of giant sized genitalia.

A waft of what this gal would like you to believe is an hors d'oeuvres of caviar comes to smack you round the chops.

But if that's caviar then you're the Pope and God knows it's a long, long time since you went to mass.

Rather than holy water this is eau de stagnant salty sea side rock pool, left to simmer in day-long summer sunshine: sea urchins, sea horses, stray sea fish and all.

Your starter's a tepid platter of on the turn fruits de mer.

Going Dutch you and your date skip main course and head straight for pudding: artificial fig.

An endless sugar coated, cotton candy version, so hideously sweet that it makes orange blossom seem like oakmoss, glace cherries galbanum.

For once the fruit, tree and specifically the fig leaf haven't come to cover up the male member...

But try as she might there's no disguising that your hostess has a fully furnished past.

Bold, brash, bawdy, busty and lusty - she's a shrill scream in the right kind of bad company.

Just don't ever, ever think of taking her home to meet mother.

No fruit symbolises female fecundity more forcefully than the fig. Whilst the leaf of that same tree is the very image of the visual emasculation of the male.

How appropriate then that Thierry Mugler's latest solitary punchline scent should bear the name 'Womanity'.

To describe this as a straightforward smell would be to over complicate things. It is bell peelingly high-pitched and pathetically honeyed fig on top of euphemistic 'caviar'.

It is the perfume of a perversely imagined pun on the pudenda.

What could have been truly controversial and confrontational in more courageous hands is turned into to saccharine vaudeville gag, a semi-skimmed single entendre that just isn't funny, no matter how many times it's told.

On a man? Absurd.

But, actually, that might be preferable to the effect on the female of the species.

- - - Updated - - -

It's just after 10pm, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Tomorrow, Wednesday 23rd January, a runaway winner, I'll be wearing....

Dior Diorella

What will I wear next on Thursday 24th January? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Aliage

Elizabeth Arden Green Tea

Bvlgari Eau Parfumee au The Rouge

Givenchy Givenchy III

Kenzo Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant

Robert Piguet Fracas

Guerlain Samsara

Dior Miss Dior

Clinique Aromatics Elixir

Or the newcomer...

Dolce&Gabbana D&G Anthology La Roue de La Fortune 10

Remember all previous votes count towards a fragrance's running total and every participant gets a new vote every day!

You have just under 24 hours... starting now.

The next review will be along shortly.

I vote for Bvlgari Eau Parfumee au The Rouge

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Another vote for Jungle L'Elephant.

It's just after 11pm, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Tomorrow, Thursday 24th January I'll be wearing....

What will I wear next on Friday 25th January? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Aliage

Givenchy Givenchy III

Robert Piguet Fracas

Guerlain Samsara

Dior Miss Dior

Or the newcomer...

Amouage Jubilation for Women

Remember all previous votes count towards a fragrance's running total and every participant gets a new vote every day!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Hooray for Jungle L'Elephant!

For the 25th, I vote Samsara.

Sorry for the late arrivals of these it looks like there have been a few technical issues....

From the insanity of the all too human Womanity to something a great deal more mechanically restrained, and none the better for it...

Prada Prada (Amber)

'In the future all fragrance will have this feel'

So says the executive of engineering in her meagre machine-like monotone.

She is a silhouette, back lit by the glare of a presentation on product development on the white wall behind her.

She wears a sharp-as-a-pin stripe suit, cut high at the waist and to a flare in the leg.

She seeks to disguise her skeletal frame.

'And everything, everything will be powered by electric.'

'Everything will be clean and silent and efficient'.

A shudder like a wave shores across the room and finally breaks on you: a sample has been released into the air.

Surf of arid amber with plasticine patchouli and filleted, boneless benzoin tosses and splutters at your senses.

'Everything will save energy'

The single note as insistent as her intonation.

You drift away. To a past where everything is not so fresh, and scrubbed and anti-septicated. Your nostalgia forgets for a moment that the soot from sentimental chimney stacks settled on lungs and stung the eyes of children.

'Everything will be environmentally sustainable'

The scent turns seamless vanilla as all dirt and rough edges perform a vanishing act worthy of a Grand Vizier's court conjuror.

'Everything with be ecologically sound'

And you long for steam trains and Ottoman toilets, oakmoss and stale flowers.

If there is anymore eloquent an expression of the elegant, etiolated 'exotic' fragrances of today than Prada Amber, I have yet to find it.

This highly engineered, well thought out exercise in perfume politics achieves exactly what it aims to, and precisely no more.

It is a swift, clean scent generating machine that gathers in the consumers' cash by offering up a series of pop-formulaic chords - amber and patchouli - with a slight Levantine baseline - vanilla, benzoin - that is 'bound to please the crowd'.

For all its symmetry and design-led precision it is ultimately an act of conceptual cynicism cooked up by big corporate interests.

I prefer perfume created by artists to the essence of economists.

- - - Updated - - -

Following the division caused by my previous views on a synthetic pseudo-oriental, I'd like to bring some true love into the equation with the real deal, the delightfully improper:

Yves Saint Laurent Nu

Is this the New Religion?

If so I'm on the very cusp of being converted.

A work of worship, it starts in an ante chamber with an Eastern rite of purification: an almost overwhelming and unexpected crescendo of cardamon.

In ecstasy the assembled are encouraged to give up residual resentments, forgo bitterness with a sweetness bought by bergamot rubbed briefly across your brow by way of blessing.

Progressing to the main hall of the temple you find the central act of adoration perpetually in motion.

True incense, that is frankincense, oil of olibanum, is caressed across the nape of your neck by a true believer.

Others of his brethren throw precious petals persistently into the air. Arms like widmills in snow storms of the imagination, they create constant flurries out of jasmine and orchid clouds.

So commences the final act of consummation.

Recalling Roman ritual, that spice they valued most and which the contemporary world has made mere condiment, is wholly and wholeheartedly invoked.

Rich imperial pepper.

Of strange quality and quantities un-experienced for centuries it stimulates and eroticises the whole holy throng.

It's intoxication invigorates incandescent adherents onwards to the climax of their idolatry.

Collective carnal embrace.

In the room beyond, you attempt to gather in your dignity and thoughts; foraging through feelings and folds of skin for meaning.

Your body is smoothed by suplicants with sandalwood oil whilst they replace your robes.

Only one question remains:

Are you fallen or have you joined the faithful?

A truly sacred and profane perfume Nu is probably best summed up by the phrase 'orgy in the temple'.

With a deft hand it mixes conventions of Eastern and Western worship - opening with olibanum, cardamon and bergamot giving way to oriental florals.

It then proceeds to an highly sexualised heart; all pagan pepper and more frankincense this time with animalic musk.

This fragrant frenzy persists for proper period, though it is more tantric in the preferable Eau de Parfum than its bang for you buck less spiritual cousin.

In both the drydown is sandalwood soft and gently reflective, possibly tinged with a subtle regret or is it a passion hangover?

Who cares? Ultimately, strip away away the symbolism and everyone's in it for the ride!

Unisex?

Bi-sexual more like.

I don't think this one's too fussy about all those fuzzy male female distinctions...

- - - Updated - - -

It's (was then) just after midnight, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Friday 25th January, as things tighten up dramatically at the top, I'll be wearing....

Guerlain Samsara

What will I wear next on Saturday 26th January? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Aliage

Givenchy Givenchy III

Robert Piguet Fracas

Dior Miss Dior

Or the newcomer...

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Blog Entries

Assid, Nu sounds like one l need to try!

Voting again for Fracas.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Thank you for your impressions, Assiduosity. I really enjoy reading them & look forward to your take on Jungle l'Elephant and Samsara.

I'm voting for Amouage Jubilation next.

Basenotes Plus

My mom wears Sensuous by Estee Lauder so that gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Thank you for your impressions, Assiduosity. I really enjoy reading them & look forward to your take on Jungle l'Elephant and Samsara.

I'm voting for Amouage Jubilation next.
    Thanks teardrop and diamondflame for your comments - please bear with me if sometimes the outcome of voting seems a little off beam - that's because there are a number of different sources for votes and historic votes count etc etc .

Needless to say that it's all above board and every vote really does count so thank you and everyone for sticking with it.

Fear not Samsara and Jungle l'Elephant will make their way through!

That seems as good a reason as any to me!

- - - Updated - - -

Due to on-going technical difficulties (is anyone else having problems posting at the moment) This is delayed from last night...

It's just after 2200hrs, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Tomorrow, Saturday 26th January, after the closest vote in a long time, I'll be wearing....

Givenchy Givenchy III

What will I wear next on Monday 28th January? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Aliage

Robert Piguet Fracas

Dior Miss Dior

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Or the, totally coincidental, newcomer...

Prada Infusion d'Iris

This being the weekend everyone gets two votes!!

You have just under 48hours... starting now.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello All

It's that weekend thing again.

When I started this thread last November I really had no idea of the response it would elicit.

To date I've had just short of 500 suggestions.

That means a little over 5% of all the fragrances in the basenotes database are, in your collective view, marketed at women, but just as good for men to wear.

In a spirit of sharing the joy, and in response to a clutch of requests by personal message, at weekends I'm running through 20 of the recommendations in the order you suggested them.

These don't include any that have already made the top 10, or won the poll - you can find them in the thread above.

I hope the roll call will inspire you to try some of your fellow basenoters' favourites, bring forward fresh suggestions for new must try fragrances and encourage you to support scents that have been put forward but haven't quite made it onto the top 10 list yet.

Remember the more recommendations a scent gets the more likely it is to make the top 10.

Two fragrances that featured last weekend are now top ten hits.

So here goes.

In order of appearance (part 3):

Bath and Body Works Sensual Amber

Versace Crystal Noir

The Body Shop Midnight Bakula

Aquolina Gold Sugar

Antonio Banderas Her Secret

Azzaro Azzura

Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds

Britney Spears Believe

Clean Clean Shower Fresh

Cristobal Balenciaga Balenciaga L`Essence

Davidoff Cool Water

Pierre Balmain Jolie Madame

Lanvin Oxygene

Pierre Cardin Choc de Cardin

Crabtree & Evelyn Iris

Tauer Perfumes 06 Incense Rose

Etat Libre d`Orange Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection

Halle Berry Closer

Dior J`adore

Comme des Garcons Comme des Garcons White

Here's to a great smelling week.

- - - Updated - - -

It's well after midnight, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today Monday 29th January, after a weekend that has shaken everything up, I'll be wearing....

What will I wear tomorrow Tuesday 29th January? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Aliage

Robert Piguet Fracas

Dior Miss Dior

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Prada Infusion d'Iris

Or the, totally coincidental, newcomer...

Paco Rabanne La Nuit

The next review will be with you Monday morning to help you start your week fragrantly.
    Last edited by Assiduosity; 28th January 2013 at 12:05 AM.

Not sure if it counts as wholly feminine, but I would happily wear SL's Fleurs d'Oranger anywhere you'd let me. It's very very floral - orange flower, jasmine, tuberose but with a dirty base. In spite of the base, I'd still class it as happy juice, but with a bit of a knowing wink. I think this is what makes it work for men, though it may raise the odd eyebrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    I generally ignore marketing as to "feminine" vs "masculine" vs "unisex" scents. I like what I like, and what I like, I wear, regardless of how it's marketed. As one of the guys who regularly posts on the women's SotD thread says, fragrances don't have genitalia.

That said, someone's personal *preference* may lean towards more historically (or stereotypically) "masculine" or "feminine" scent associations. So for me, it ends up not being about bucking marketing or the associations of others but bucking my own preferences and predilictions and stepping out of my comfort zone to challenge myself with new things. I'll try anything once, including, btw, M7 and Kouros. I don't care for M7 because I'm not an oud fan, not because it's masculine. I actually really enjoy Kouros even though it's not part of my typical fragrance profile.

I own and wear lots of "masculine"-leaning fragrances (e.g., Halston Z-14, Lutens Gris Clair, Lutens Ambre Sultan, TF Amber Absolute, Mazzolari Patchouly, Arquiste Aleksandr, Lutens Fumerie Turque, Kerosene Copper Skies, L'Artisan L'Eau du Navigateur, Malle Musc Ravageur, CdG Avignon and Kyoto, and TF Tobacco Vanille).

Personally, I think the Lutens catalog is mostly unisex, and I believe I've read that Lutens himself considers his entire line to be unisex.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think what you're doing is great, and I like encouraging everyone to break out of the boxes that marketers like to put us in and just try as many different fragrances as you can. And if you like something, wear it, regardless of what others might think.

My boyfriend wears a wide range fragrances, including many "masculine" Montales (e.g., Patchouli Leaves, Oud Cuir d'Arabie, Blue Amber) and Sonoma Scent Studio offerings (e.g., Fireside Intense, Incense Pure, and Tabac Aurea) because he loves patchouli, ouds, ambers, and smoky fragrances. But he also loves Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur and the original Perry Ellis (not the new "Original" Perry Ellis), and he doesn't shy away from florals. And when he wears the florals, oh my goodness, my knees go weak. His go-to florals are Montale Black Aoud (roses + oud), Malle Portrait of a Lady (rose + patchouli), and by far the absolute most sexy thing on him is Malle Iris Poudre. Utterly incredible. SSS Voile de Violette is also amazing on him.

And there are lots of guys who post on the women's side who routinely wear Chanel No. 5. I'm not an aldehydes fan, so it does nothing for me. And a few also wear Carnal Flower, which I think would be incredible on the man who likes it and chooses to carry it off as his own.

There's something very, very sexy about iconclasts, and busting through people's expectations. So don't let others' expectations narrow your experimentation. If you're going to do this, do it all the way.

My recommendations:
    Malle Carnal Flower
    Malle Iris Poudre
    Malle Portrait of a Lady
    Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle (LOVE the menthol opening)
    Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger
    Lutens Sarrasins
    Lutens Une Bois Vanille
    Lutens Feminite du Bois or Bois de Violette
    Lutens Daim Blond
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue
    Guerlain Samsara
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Histoire de Parfums Tubereuse 1 - Capricieuse
    Histoire de Parfums 1969
    Histoire de Parfums 1889 Moulin Rouge
    Parfumerie Generale Felanilla
    Sonoma Scent Studio Winter Woods
    Sonoma Scent Studio Voile de Violette
    Sonoma Scent Studio Vintage Rose
    Etat Libre d'Orange Jasmin et Cigarette
    The Different Company Jasmin de Nuit
    Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Tonka
    Chanel No. 5
    Chanel No. 19
    Chanel Bois des Illes
    This a thousand-fold.

BUT, at the same time

We are where we are and our culture has assigned gender labels to a lot of things in ways that may seem arbitrary. This means that, as well as "liking what we like", we also have the opportunity to play with the existing preconceptions, to get a kick out of the transgression. It's hard to say precisely why people enjoy crossing the gender lines - what proportion there is in the mix of genuine innocence and unprejudiced personal preference as opposed to perversity (I don't mean this in a judgemental way, but in the sense of taking a perverse pleasure in crossing the lines).

I think, while Serge Lutens (as in my recommendation above), and other perfumers, professes unisex, they're actually often deliberately playing with categories in a knowing, and deliberately sexy, way.

Blog Entries

Fracas please!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

For LP Hartley...

Dior Dune

Teenagers are creatures from another country.

They wander around trying everything new though little impresses them at all.

Children in grown up garb they find pleasure where they will, not where they are commanded to. They are lanky two year olds on Christmas morning preferring wrapping paper and cardboard boxes to the hard-sought treats they contain.

And this one? She has made me a teenager again. Transported me to an Atlantic coast of France at some indeterminate point in my youth.

We will travel today to the greatest sand banks in Europe. At Arcachon I will be impressed by sun silvered expanses of silicone, three kilometres long, half kilometre deep, one hundred metres high that consume the coastline at five metres a year.

I will be impressed.

En route to the shore that played host to Dumas and so seduced Sartre that he glimpsed existential expanses there, we stop to refill our Renault.

I pay for the fuel and with strange change in Francs procure five small glass bottles of fizzy orange. As they are handed over I look quizzically at the cashier - insouciant in bikini, open boys' shirt and espadrilles - she is a year or two older than me but decades more mature. I am to embarrassed to ask why the liquid is golden and not the pithy technicolor fruit skin shade I am used to.

In the over-heated voiture, against parental advice, I open my bottle of this curious beverage. It fizzes but does not overflow as though it would be unrefined to do so, I taste it and it tastes sharp and truly of orange and has pieces of actual fruit floating in it.

To my teenage taste buds it is the very taste of sophistication.

I quaff another draft and the aldheydic carbonated fruit is every bit as fine and adult. I am drinking in the nectar of grown ups. One slug more and it is gone, out of reach once again.

The Pilat, as it is called, is an incredible structure, engineered by nature. It cannot fail to impress.

Yet this is precisely what it does, it fails to impress anything of its salty amber air, anything of the soft wood forest: dark and mossy along it's inland shore, anything of the sweet occasional flowers that brave the brisk winds onto my memory.

Even the occasional tourists wandering past with alpine peaks of soft vanilla ice cream surmounted with resinous toffee and caramel sauces are absent from my recollection.

My teenage mind, as selective with it's remembrances as its enthusiasms has room only for real orange soda.

Dune is a perfume undone rather than raised high by an immense opening.

Its incomparably effervescent commencement of bergamot and mandarin shot through with sparkling aldehydes casts a long shadow over the remainder of the proceedings.

The fragrance that lurks in the darkness is a respectable, well made (though perhaps not as fully rounded as it once was) and conventionally sophisticated scent composed chiefly of amber and wood sweetened by benzoin and some subtle florals for interest.

This would make a great steady date if it hadn't promised to be a beauty queen in the personals.

Can a man wear it? Oh yes.

Would I wear it? Oh no.

Not because it isn't good: it is. But because I wouldn't want to carry around the inevitable disappointment after the wonderful bitter orange soda pop ran dry so quickly every time.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a little before 2300 hours, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Tomorrow, Tuesday 30th January, a new look classic in the most faithful version money can currently buy, I'll be wearing....

Dior Miss Dior

What will I wear Wednesday 31st January? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Aliage

Robert Piguet Fracas

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Prada Infusion d'Iris

Paco Rabanne La Nuit

Or the newcomer...

Dior Dior Addict

The next review will be with you shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a little before 2300 hours, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.
    Last edited by Assiduosity; 28th January 2013 at 11:44 PM.

Amouage Jubilation woman please! It's on my potential buy list, and I would love to read your thoughts.

Basenotes Plus

My vote goes to Sensuous.

voting for Jubilation for women

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Adding my vote for Jubilation for Women.

The first part of a fantastic Dior triple bill...

Dior Diorella

Every artist has a sliver of ice lodged in their heart.

Every part of her is artist.

But she does not work with brushes or staves, instead with blades.

Knives as flawless and flexible as her cold soul cut infallibly through each pitch perfect ingredient preparing the meticulous meals she insists on serving outdoors in Summer..

Sushis and ceviches so fresh they deceive as clean flesh and not fish are served with herbaceous lemon dressings on long oblong chilled green glass platters.

Her kitchen, open to the elements and curious eyes alike, is at the centre of the green moss lawn.

She, in impeccable whites, is at the centre of the kitchen, commanding minions to: tweak starched table clothes, excite palettes with unexpected basil, rearrange tabletop arrangements of jasmine and geranium, circulate cleansing melons entr'acte.

If there is any fracture in her composure it is merely momentary illusion, she huffs to herbaceous borders simply to hasten patchouli plants into perfume and achieve perfection for a paying clientele.

The meal ends with a peach desert as peerless as the the operatic dame soprano herself.

Our lady of the knives acknowledges her audience: on her kitchen stage she curtsies clutching her bouquet of glistening sharp edges.

Diorella is no chef d'oeuvre to be be trifled with.

An exacting, precise, cerebral perfume it is not a work but an embodiment of art.

It takes the basic chypre recipe and deploying Occam's razor removes any fat, skims off excess and leaves only clean muscle and salient seasoning.

A list of ingredients reads as unremarkable: lemon, oakmoss, basil, bergamot, a melodius melon, some greens and sprig or two of patchouli.

Each is of the highest quality, but it is the genius of their deployment and not the hauter of their demeanor that gives the dish as served its unrivaled effect.

There is no man or woman in a kitchen, merely the one in charge in whites.

Diorella is Chef.

Note

This review is of the last Diorella not to be branded within 'Les creations de Monsieur Dior'.

The modern re-imagining is much better than many concealed reformulations. However, it cannot be denied that a sunshine Sicilian lemon casts too much light on the proceedings, subtracting rather than adding to the whole with its out-of-step cheeriness.

Likewise a little more looseness in the hand dispensing the oakmoss analogue might have delivered a more robust affair.

That said, it still remains, even under a deed-pole name, a masterly chypre, without many peers who can match it.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a little before 0130 hours, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Wednesday 30th January, a complete change of direction, I'll be wearing....

Robert Piguet Fracas

What will I wear Thursday 31st January? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Aliage

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Prada Infusion d'Iris

Paco Rabanne La Nuit

Dior Dior Addict

Or the newcomer...

Estée Lauder Knowing

Jubilation for women

I vote Jubilation again!

Fracas is one of my favourites, anxious to read your review.

It's a little before 0130 hours, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Thursday 31st January, a fairly speedy winner, I'll be wearing....

What will I wear Friday 1st February? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Aliage

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Prada Infusion d'Iris

Paco Rabanne La Nuit

Dior Dior Addict

Estée Lauder Knowing

Or the newcomer...

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

I'm afraid

Dior Miss Dior

is running a little late... that's the problem with celebrities, you see.

Basenotes Plus

Sensuous

Can't wait to hear the Jubilation thoughts.
    I'm going to change pace and give your poor nose a rest. I vote for the easy and light Bvlgari the Rouge

You know, managing the talent is the toughest thing in this business.

After a difficult day of cajoling our star has arrived... but where's the leading man? Who will play opposite...

Dior Miss Dior

She arrived in Hollywood already with an acid tongue and a smile like sucking lemons.

She didn't suffer fools gladly or otherwise.

For she knew she had it in her to make herself a star.

They said she came straight off the boat with a belly full of mossy bitterness.

Who wouldn't? She'd done the casting couch in Europe and had at first to look on, green as envious galbanum, while other girls got the better parts over her.

Her: who had played Christian martyrs and vestal virgins in some of the biggest movies that had ever been.

Her: who's steely glamour and sexuality on ice had rocked a continent.

So she had a past! What of it? She'd washed that chemically clean in aldehydic soap in London: lost her Mademoiselle along, conveniently enough, with her memories of Parisian perversity and her Berlin bob cut not blonde hair.

That's all history now: gone up in hydrogen peroxide now.

And she's ready now, for the first screen test close up of a thousand big screen close ups of a career she knows will last for years, for decades even.

They may have her flowery while on sound stage, a Continental bouquet of iris, rose, jasmine and carnation: all swoons and ballgowns.

But its the narcissi that sing most from her heart.

Its the leather gloves she pulls on like a women who can drive fast and throw punches hard that gives a clue to her mind.

The gritty patchouli oil she stabs at her neck that speaks from her damaged soul.

She's a beauty, but she ain't pretty.

She's a star and she's a bitch and she knows it.

Miss Dior is anything but polite.

In her best formulations she is an as sharp as a card shark turned killer perfume, throwing punches like an against the wall gangster in a Golden Age Gown by Head photographed by Horst.

She is the collision of glamour and catastrophe.

A few smacks across the face by a green oakmoss hand in an aldehyde dry-cleaned leather glove goes by way of introduction.

If she then feigns to mellow into iris and rose and hints at sandalwood softness in her heart, beware.

Beware, for this is another of her Oscar-wining transformations, soon enough dirty patchouli, salty amber and wild grass will be back to give you a friction burn of a dry, dry down.

Despite her femme nomenclature. This early doors Bonnie Parker is butch enough to be sure.

A woman should wear it if only she's as happy wearing a holster. And a guy, well he just as to be good with it.

Hell, if anyone calls him, she's been in enough western's: Miss Dior will be by his side for the shoot out.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a little after midnight, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Friday 1st February, a long term stalwart of the top 10, I'll be wearing....

Estée Lauder Aliage

What will I wear Saturday 2nd February? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Prada Infusion d'Iris

Paco Rabanne La Nuit

Dior Dior Addict

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Or the newcomer... as if by chance...

Dior Dioressence

- - - Updated - - -

If like me you've not been able to access Basenotes much over the last day or so, you won't have had a chance to cast your ballot; however, folks elsewhere have been busy...

It's a little after one in the morning, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Saturday 2nd February, after a day of sharp practice and sorry pleas at the polls, I'll be wearing....

Prada Infusion d'Iris

What will I wear Monday 4th February? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Paco Rabanne La Nuit

Dior Dior Addict

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Dioressence

Or the newcomer... as if by chance... again...

Dior Diorissimo

So that means two votes each as it's the weekend!!

You have just under 48 hours... starting now.

Due to the ructions caused by our star struck star lovers, the next review is a little way off.

In the meantime you can still catch our leading lady

Dior Miss Dior

and her co-star...

Dior La Collection Couturier Parfumeur Mitzah

in their big screen embrace.

I wear Black Orchid and Mitsouko. I understand that Chanel #19 is also great on men.

Basenotes Plus

Sensuous

Thanks JB

I agree 100% on Chanel 19 - my thoughts on it are back somewhere on the thread - a beautiful green fragrance way preferable to many of the citrus and aquatics of the 1990s and noughties.

Other recommendations are noted.

Thanks for the contribution.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a little while before midnight, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Tomorrow, Monday 4th February, due to the determination of one Australian in another place, I'll be wearing....

What will I wear Tuesday 5th February? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Paco Rabanne La Nuit

Dior Dior Addict

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Dioressence

Dior Diorissimo

Or the newcomer... as if by chance... again...

Caron En Avion

The next review is on it's way and will be with you all to start the working week in exotic style...
    Last edited by Assiduosity; 3rd February 2013 at 10:38 PM.

I've tried only these female fragrances and they worked out great

- Davidoff Cool Water
    - Chanel Chance
    - D&G light blue

The women recognize the smell, but deny to believe it's one of those fragrances

Of course, I now humbly eat my some of my harsh words above on sweet scents, with a review that surprised me as it may do some of you. The unexpected allure of India:

This isn't the elephant in the room, nor is this the giant mammal in the jungle.

This beast commands the street, has its own palace and parades in splendour around the temple at the time of the festival.

This is the ceremonial Indian elephant. The Kerala pachyderm. Dressed up with somewhere to go.

From the very start of the proceedings the impression is overwhelming and impossible to ignore.

As if her enormous vanillic mass: metres high, tall and wide, were not enough there are her spiced up personal effects. The ornaments and adornments of our lady of Guruvayur.

Golden head shields - nettipattam - glistening with clove oil. Bells and necklaces studded with mandarins and nectarines rendered in amber.

Atop her convex back the mahouts, her faithful attendants perch precariously holding silk parasols aloft - muttukuda - embroidered with the perfume of ylang ylang, gardenia and heliotrope.

Swaying white tufts - vencamaram - and peacock feather fans - alavattam - slice the air with scents of cardamon, caraway and cumin all to the rhythm of an ambulant orchestra.

This is chaos transubstantiated into communal devotion. Personified in the glimmering deities some sons and daughters of the sahya carry on their circumnavigations.

This is spectacle beyond considerations of taste and and the partialities of prickly western palettes.

This is, like the sub-continent itself, a vast sensuous vista of the sacredness and vulgarity of existence laid out like a feast.

This is a moment to put aside discernment and discretion.

This is a time only for surrender.

A great fashion editor once remarked that 'pink is the navy blue of India'. So Kenzo's Jungle L'Elephant, for all I know, may be the eau de cologne of the sub-continent.

What to our noses is a great, brash, bold statement of sweet and spicy intent, may well seem as commonplace as cirise in a country where cardamon and cumin are mere condiments.

This is not a fragrance for the feint hearted, no caution has been exercised in the deployment of great discordant symphonies of notes from mandarin, clove and caraway atop the stave through a middle section of exotic flowers to dirty sweet vanilla made darker with patchouli and saltier by amber in the base.

It would be easy to dismiss this scent as mad self indulgence put together with a poverty of ideas.

How wrong. This incredibly amiable animal works to its own higher intelligence and a logic that is not circumscribed by notions of 'neatness' and 'politesse'.

Catch it while you can for it may soon be sadly extinct.

And on the question of gender?

I believe many of the pantheon of Hindu gods have neither sex, or both.

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies all.

I seem to be experiencing on going problems posting to the forum at the moment - I'm not sure if this is just reflective of wider issues .

Following yesterday's vote I've been wearing Paco Rabanne La Nuit today and will report back in shortly.

Coming up now today's review and poll...

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it's a game of contrasts here, at the opposite end of the scale from yesterday's sweet-natured animal, it's now time to meet a real beast:

No one was actually sure if she was actually British at all.

It might just have been that she was bossy, boozy, a bit of an intellectual bully and bloody bizarre.

What everyone knew was that the tweed wearing battleaxe had definitely worked across the pond as a biochemist or arboriculturist, well something botanical, anyhow.

And if you dared ask her about that smell that stood five feet before her it was so bold, she'd reply 'Brewers' Yeast: for the vitamin B. Keeps everything ticking along under the bonnet'. Which apparently was British: meaning the engine under the hood was running okay.

But you know, all the same, the accent wasn't right: more Bryn Mawr than Blighty if you ask me.

There was definitely still a little of that lab about her though, some people said she experimented to this day in an outbuilding round the back, away from prying eyes.

Yep, it definitely wasn't just the sour fragrance of fermentation, there was a sort of organo-chemical kick that she carried along with her too. I don't know, maybe asparagus maybe the smell of passing water after eating asparagus. Either way it was an unwieldy sort of a waft.

She'd bought the farmstead up near the woods, a damp spot nobody else much took a liking too, because it reminded her of that unspecified 'home' of hers.

She lived self-sufficiently after a fashion, collecting wood for the fire, scrapping off the bitter moss and leaving the fuel to dry in an old barn. Sometimes as winter approached and it got too wet up there for safe storage, she made her own charcoal to see herself through the cold months.

She never asked a soul for help.She relied on no one except herself.

Her garden was immaculate, her pride and joy, but she kept nothing she couldn't eat, or so she joked.

All the same a woman who took eggs and the like up from the village, her only concession to community, and was the nearest thing to a friend she had said there were often cut flowers - carnations or geraniums mostly, always red (like the out of joint lipstick she wore, sometimes mainly on her teeth) - in a plain vase on the bare table in the cold kitchen, where hearth and stove were rarely lit.

Over chamomile or sage tea she gave nothing much away to her confidant, apart from that infamous aroma (deepened inside by the patchouli oil she burnt. Only that when she went off in that station wagon of hers it was to teach science at some delinquent school across in the next county.

They only called her in when things were really bad.

'Never blame the children' she said 'it's always the parents, that's why they are, we all are, as we are'.

'They get me when the adults need the fright of God put in them more than the kids do'.

She smiled knowingly and sighed.

'The good Lord knows the smell of me would scare most people in this state from fifty feet out'.

Aromatics Elixir is one of the most disgustingly delectable fragrances ever committed to scent.

Everything is absolutely wrong with it.

It is too sharp, too bitter, too sage, too hard.

It has too much oakmoss, too much darkness in the patchouli, a too chemical edge to the aldehydes and too much dirty wood smoke.

Too much everything and then some.

It really is the tough spinster with a terrible past who lives on the hill.

But it is unspeakably wonderful at exactly the same time.

It works precisely because it shouldn't.

Just as according to the rules of physics the bumble bee shouldn't fly so according to the teachings perfumery this fragrance should never take flight, and yet the scent soars.

Rules 0. The Clinique All Star Bumble Bees 2.

Oh and as for the regulations concerning men's and women's perfume? Late goal. Anyone with a personality as big as this bold old gal has earned the right to fill a room with it.

I make that a three nil win for Bees and Elixirs.

- - - Updated - - -

It's just before midnight, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Tomorrow, Wednesday 6th February, she storms out in front, I'll be wearing....

Dior Dioressence

What will I wear Thursday 7th February? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Dior Dior Addict

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Caron En Avion

Caron Parfum Sacre

Or the newcomer... completing a trilogy...

Caron Narcisse Noir

The next review is on it's way shortly.

In the meantime you can still catch my thoughts on...

- - - Updated - - -

Well, perhaps it's a reaction to the brutal bitterness of yesterday's review perfume or maybe I'm just developing a sweet tooth, anyhow after a long delay I'm pleased to say 'Enter The Dragon'...

Cartier Le Baiser Du Dragon

She needed to forget Paris.

To put the diamond business behind her, pack her bags and pack away all thoughts of hard rocks, hard cash and most of all hard business men with their hard, hard hearts.

What better place could there be for a doomed lover than Verona? At least she wasn't dead she thought, that was something she had on that pair.

Yes, it was a trade fair, but as her boss had said - this was Italy, it was bound to be more fair than trade.

Then the dates came through. Who holds a jewellery fair in Verona on St Valentine's weekend?

The Italians apparently.

She wanted to cancel, but the tickets were bought and she didn't want another ticking off from on high. Her star was low and falling at work, she wasn't on her game they said, since, you know, since the split.

She arrived at Venice airport in a failing mood and the coldest winter the Veneto had known in a generation.

Her rooms were pretty but chilly and summer-ready sparse. Outside the air was so cold that her breath froze in it and the wind so sharp that it cut through her cashmere layers of comfort.

All she did was shuttle to and from the exhibition halls and her hotel, eating on the hoof or at home, drinking too much red wine too late at night. At the show, she could muster no sparkle to match the precious stones, no gleam to glisten and gloss deals as she would have done before.

Except, at one stand, where something of her lustre returned. A local craftsman presided, only here by means of patronage to promote the city's produce.

Here was an artisan, tanned even in the off season, with thick hands and thicker hair, shining even where it greyed at the temples. He spoke softly and tried to sell her nothing. And yet he had the only thing she wished to buy: a small golden broach in the shape of a dragon's head, encrusted with rubies and diamonds that gave its skin an immaculate sheen.

She must have returned to the see the dragon a dozen times, not asking once how much it cost, it was sure to be too much to treat herself.

At the end of Saturday's session she went back for a final fleeting farewell. The stand was packed away, the dragon and its master had disappeared.

Inside she felt as though she should weep, but didn't know why.

Resolving to walk back, whatever the weather would throw at her, she passed by the Old Castle high up on the hill and in its lea next to the river a ristorante, warm lights lit within.

Without thinking she went in. After the heat it was the scent that struck her first and then the thought that she hadn't worn perfume the whole trip, she never forgot fragrance.

Here was a warm cloud of gourmand steam. Of honey glazed meats roasting, and behind the soft yielding flesh a haze of the pastry chef's creation: gently bubbling caramels, melting dark chocolate preparing to fall onto choux buns, almond tartlets just crisping in the wood oven.

Lunch had finished, but she was welcome to take a seat and wait for the dinner service. She looked around her at thick silk wall hangings, crystal chandeliers and aged dark wood paneling and was about to decline her place amongst such luxuries.

She opened her mouth to speak and a voice, not hers, emerged up from behind a smoked glass partition, a head followed: it was the jewellery maker.

'But you must stay, dinner's not far away and the wine is good'.

He persuaded her into a seat, saying good bye at the same time to his colleagues from the business council.

She needed something to stave off hunger. He ordered biscotti di Prato and vin santo, apologising that she should be starting her meal at the end.

In his company she unfurled, she opened up to the warmth of his conversation. He ordered Amaretto with more playful apologies and cantuccini biscuits for the both of them.

The afternoon became a honeyed, slightly intoxicated evening.

She felt safe enough at last to ask.

'What happened to the broach? The dragon's...'

The jewel appeared.

'The Dragon's Kiss? It's here. I kept it for you'.

A wonderfully romantic fragrance with the savour and scent of Northern Italy, Baiser Du Dragon, is, like the best love affairs sensuous and consoling in equal measure.

The opening thrill, a mix of boozy Amaretto and sweet flaked almonds stays in place for the whole relationship.

As time passes and the affair solidifies into something more concrete the composition gains a rich wooden form with some patchouli that softer notes of caramel, dark chocolate and sweet amber can be draped on.

Though gourmand, the whole effect is sweet but not syrupy, comforting rather than cloying.

This is a nurturing, nourishing passion that smoulders with a soft intensity for a long while.

The eternal question? Man or woman?

Surely in matters of the heart we are all lovers.

- - - Updated - - -

It's just after midnight, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Thursday 7th February, after a day of much conversation and controversy a winner with no votes, I'll be wearing....

Dior Dior Addict

What will I wear Thursday 7th February? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Caron En Avion

Caron Parfum Sacre

Caron Narcisse Noir

Or the newcomer...

Serge Lutens Feminite du Bois

Blog Entries

Still eagerly awaiting your thoughts on Fracas & Samsara, Assid.

l vote for Narcisse Noir next, & do let us know which vintage & concentration you have tried.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Thanks for painting such a vivid imagery in the Jungle l'Elephant impression. It is quite the elemental oriental.

While waiting on Samsara, my next vote goes to Diorissimo. But that little story on Le Baiser du Dragon? Wow. I could picture it as a video ad copy.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 8th February 2013 at 08:07 AM.

As a dedicated jewellery lover (way before I developed any interest in fragrance) I cant tell you how much I enjoyed the story about Le Baiser du Dragon. I feel like going out and buying a bottle immediately.

Hello All

Glad to have some people back on board.

We've had a cast of actors lately, but this is the last one for a while and she's definitely cut from a different cloth...

Givenchy Givenchy III

She could have been a studio starlet, but never a star.

She knew she wasn't hard enough for that and that her heart wasn't even really in it anyway.

So she packed up her suitcases and set off home for a life on the stage and not the screen after all.

In New York and then the Golden State in the years before the talkies, she could just about handle the harsh lights the heavy make up, the chemical stench of celluloid from the vast labs next on the next lot.

But when the big money came with the big men and their heavy grasping hands, she just wanted to hide.

She started to long for thick bitter London fogs, and near at hand damp forests with the wild hyancinths the British call bluebells. She wanted to see small grassy meadows again.

She wanted to walk off the sound stage once and for all and into an auditorium with an audience of other things but cameras.

So she got on the steam ship and headed back for a life of cramped soft-wood panelled dressing rooms, of repertory theatres and occasional small parts in funny films shot in studios above camera shops.

She swapped Max Factor for greasepaint smelling of roses and factory carnations. Picture shows for three shows a day on rickety boards with fall down sets smelling feintly of stagehands cigarettes.

And she couldn't have been happier with her small part in the world.

The delicate and wonderful Givenchy III is a perfume that knows its place in the grand scheme of things and is perfectly content.

She is a spry and green take on the sharp floral chypre, with plenty of wit and hard-earned sophistication to soften what can be to some noses a slightly bitter opening manner.

She undoubtedly has a notable past and belongs to a stable of Europeans that have made their way in the wider world.

But shrewdly she decided to return to the stage before she was worn out, and has been re-invigorated by new applause. Her later career is marked by altogether richer, more floral, better crafted performances that deservedly won great reviews.

She may not be a scene steeler, but she is enjoying a longer and more varied career than some of those who shot to super stardom early on.

And as for the question of cross casting.

Can a woman play Hamlet? Because, she's all for the taking the Prince herself.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a little before midnight, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Tomorrow, Friday 8th February, after a day when the voted was divided one flew into the lead, I'll be wearing....

Caron En Avion

What will I wear Saturday 9th February? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Caron Parfum Sacre

Caron Narcisse Noir

Or a classic newcomer...

Robert Piguet Bandit

In the meantime you can still catch my thoughts on...

Givenchy Givenchy III
    Last edited by Assiduosity; 8th February 2013 at 10:38 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Assiduosity View Post
    In New York and then the Sunshine State in the years before the talkies,
    Nice review. I assume you mean the Golden State though . . . not a whole lot of film production in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Nice review. I assume you mean the Golden State though . . . not a whole lot of film production in Florida.
    I do. Excuse the Brit!

Mistake will be corrected.
    Assiduosity is The Perfumed Dandy, get to know him better at http://theperfumeddandy.com/

Lovely reviews again! I vote for EL Knowing if I am not too late.

I vote feminite du bois. Still eagerly waiting the fracas review here!

It's a little before 0100 hours, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Saturday 9th February, after a day when the vote was divided, one just edged into the lead, I'll be wearing....

What will I wear Monday 11th February? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Caron Parfum Sacre

Caron Narcisse Noir

Robert Piguet Bandit

Or, the moment I feared has arrived, the barbarian is at the gate and her name is...

Britney Spears Fantasy

As this is the weekend poll that means two votes for everyone!!

You have just under 48 hours... starting now.

Due to some work we have going on behind the scenes here at Assiduosity Manor, the next review is a little delayed - but I do promise a packed week to come.

I hope you'll all be patient with me.
    Assiduosity is The Perfumed Dandy, get to know him better at http://theperfumeddandy.com/

I am a terrible human being. I vote for the Britney Spears.

Basenotes Plus

Sensuous

Feminite du Bois, one of my favorite fragrances.

Hello All

It's that weekend thing again.

When I started this thread last November I really had no idea of the response it would elicit.

To date I've had just short of 500 suggestions.

That means a little over 5% of all the fragrances on the basenotes database are, in your collective view, marketed at women, but just as good for men to wear.

In a spirit of sharing the joy, and in response to a clutch of requests by personal messages, on Saturdays I'm running through 20 of the recommendations in the order you suggested them.

These don't include any that have already made the top 10, or won the poll and which I've worn and commented on.

You can check these out above.

I hope the roll call will inspire you to try some of your fellow basenoters' favourites, bring forward fresh suggestions for new must try fragrances and encourage you to support scents that have been put forward but haven't quite made it onto the top 10 list yet.

Remember the more recommendations a scent gets the more likely it is to make the top 10 - so please do take the time to speak up for your favourites!!

Four featured fragrances from last week have made it to the top ten, one onto the skin and a few others are on the cusp of stardom.

Your words do make a difference...

So here goes.

In order of appearance (part 5):

Chanel Chance Eau Fraiche

Mariah Carey Luscious Pink So starts the cult of celebrity.

Hilary Duff With Love This is invisible in the UK - pleasant flacon.

Katy Perry Purr Not sure I have the brassieres for this.

Gucci Gucci by Gucci Silly name, nice perfume?

Halle Berry Halle One of the most popular of all celebuscents with you all.

Donna Karan DKNY Be Delicious Once ubiquitous now disappearing.

Sonia Rykiel Sonia Rykiel I loved this woman's knitwear once.

Benetton Colors de Benetton I have none of their knitwear.

Avon mark Earth

Acqua di Parma Acqua Nobile Iris

Acqua di Parma Acqua Nobile Magnolia

Acqua di Parma Acqua Nobile Magnolia

Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau First entry for the 60s friends.

Oriflame Elvie Here come the Swedes.

Hermes 24 Faubourg

L Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons

Serge Lutens Nuit de Cellophane Plastic is fantastic.

Frederic Malle Iris Poudre Not been to Malle's emporium for a good while.

Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle More tuberose... big stylee.

Here's to a great smelling weekend.

Keep your thoughts old and new coming in...

Remember this is just a way of helping me formulate the top ten and doesn't affect the SOTD vote.

- - - Updated - - -

Oooh. Sorry to see none of the above tickled your fancies!!

Let's hope we can do better with the next real vote...

It's a little after 0100 hours, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Monday 11th February, after a nail-biting weekend with a lot of split votes, only just, I'll be wearing....

What will I wear Tuesday 12th February? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Caron Parfum Sacre

Caron Narcisse Noir

Robert Piguet Bandit

Britney Spears Fantasy

Or the newcomer...

You have just under 21 hours... starting now.

Due to some work we have going on behind the scenes here at Assiduosity Manor, the next review is still a little delayed - but I do promise a packed week to come.

I hope you'll all be patient with me.

EL Knowing again as my vote Enjoy the manor work!

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    EL Knowing again as my vote Enjoy the manor work!
    Thank you Cello.

If you'd like to see the results of the construction efforts why not take a peek at

http://theperfumeddandy.com/

It's nearly finished and will be open to the public on Thursday!!

- - - Updated - - -

It's a little before 0300 hours in a very weary London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Tuesday 12th February, after the most evenly spread day of voting ever, only just, I'll be wearing.... at last...

What will I wear Wednesday 13th February? Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Caron Parfum Sacre

Caron Narcisse Noir

Robert Piguet Bandit

Britney Spears Fantasy

Or the newcomer... what took her so long...

Carven Ma Griffe

You have just under 20 hours... starting now.

In the meantime as soon as some IT issues are worked out you can catch my review of...

Prada Infusion d'Iris

And if you're wondering why the computer and I are feeling a little tired, why not have a look at

http://theperfumeddandy.com/

There'll be plenty more on that when I explain a change to voting from Thursday.

But don't worry the game will go on!!

Basenotes Plus

Sensuous

- - - Updated - - -

Sensuous

Blog Entries

Narcisse Noir, please!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Thank you for your invitation to the 'construction site'. I believe congratulations are in order for it is shaping up to be a prime piece of real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Thank you for your invitation to the 'construction site'. I believe congratulations are in order for it is shaping up to be a prime piece of real estate.
    Thank you very much Diamond Flame - the official opening to the public will be this Thursday around noon GMT!!

Let's hope the workmen are out by then...

- - - Updated - - -

It's a little after midnight, London. The lines are closed. Voting is over.

Today, Wednesday 13th February, the nuns have it, I'll be wearing....

Caron Narcisse Noir

What will I wear Friday 15th February? (That's not a mistake)

Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Caron Parfum Sacre

Robert Piguet Bandit

Britney Spears Fantasy

Carven Ma Griffe

Or the newcomer...

You have just under 20 hours... starting now.

Coming up in the next 24 hours, a mighty big bash indeed...

Paco Rabanne La Nuit

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Another vote for Diorissimo.

Basenotes Plus

Sensuous

Would like to see Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau move into the top ten for a chance to be voted for.

I wear this one myself as green femme marketed scents can often tempt me (next on my list is No. 19).

A little earlier in the day today.

It maybe the time of year, but I appear to have come over all romantic.

Mediaeval Romance that it:

Paco Rabanne La Nuit

New Year's Eve.

Darkness.

Four hundred feet tall the hall and twice as long again.

A human being hoard gathers beneath hammer beam ceiling to celebrate the old day's death and the coming of the dawn bringing with it spring.

At the upper table sit the twelve sit on their dais.

Joined only by England's fairest rose. A rose queen fit for Camelot's King.

Their leather layered armour lined with fur is laid aside for revelry and love's sake. No swords raised so recently in religious anger to shed infidel blood will be unsheathed tonight.

Beyond their bethroned and handsome huddle the ugly crowd, craws and cranes to catch sight of the delights and delicacies their semi-deities dine on.

Here tankards of mead, that is honey wine, wash down plates of oriental sweetmeats: preserved peaches, clove pickled oranges and lemons from the heal of Italy.

The throng contemplates such meal time majesty as among them their beasts mingle with their own offspring. The cattle, the oxen, the sheep even. Their fur, their fleas, their faeces.

The whole hall is unwashed in animal grandeur.

Yet she, Guinevere, England's flower shines out as if from on higher still.

Her peerless note of manicured and manured rose cutting through the woodmoke, the wooden beams, the mosses of the woods just waiting to burn.

Then the gigantic unbidden figure appears.

Unarmoured in his enormity. Unarmed save for a extraordinary axe and an holy bow in other hand.

He booms: 'Who will accept my challenge?'

Rats flee, sheep scatter, men cower and children scream.

The Queen alone remains resolute.

One man steps forward. 'I will'.

So the journey begins.

Paco Rabanne's La Nuit is a perfume of the night, almost sacrilegious in its animalistic sexual intensity.

It is a fragrance both feral and fecal, given mediaeval epic length and grandeur by a structure of heavy moss-frosted wooden lintels.

And yet, at it's heart there is a powerful rose. Which, at first appearing innocent, is too revealed to be both knowing and corruptible.

This is a scent of labour and war like aggression taken from the brink of actual violence by the be-stilling force of a floral feminine aspect.

Sadly lost to us for now, out of print and unregarded. As long as original manuscripts exist its mythic status can only grow.

So that tiresome modern question? Male or female?

I suggest you go read your sagas for the Witch and the Knight play equal parts in this story and should in this scent too.

My vote goes to Robert Piguet Bandit. A favourite of mine but according to the girlfriend it's too feminine for me to wear. I'm somewhat reluctant to let her smell some other women's scents I own and wear lol.

Chanel Bois des Iles / Sycomore, Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, Robert Piguet Bandit, Frederic Malle Portrait of a Lady, quite a few Serge Lutens, few from Parfumerie Generale - all marketed as feminine, but IMHO & my girl's opinion are masculine / unisex. I am surprised not to see too many references of Guerlain's Jicky / Sous Le Vent / Djedi / Vol de Nuit etc - all these are perfectly masculine as well. Many women actually don't prefer these to be considered feminine (not the ones on BN, who can appreciate a good parfum). Same with many a Montale...Marketing of perfumes is done unfortunately around 65-70% or so on feminine side, so we poor men end up testing one after another of the so called ladies perfumes before making a pick...

Voting for EL Knowing again.

Basenotes Member

This is great! I'm glad that you have been doing this. I am a female and I am in no way swayed by fragrances that are considered "masculine." In fact, oftentimes those are the ones I gravitate toward. I am definitely attracted to florals and classics such as No. 5 and Arpege, but I also love deep, woody, and spicy fragrances that are usually marketing to men. I think that gender boundaries should be crossed when it comes to wearing fragrance. Wear what you love and what makes you feel good/sexy/playful/calm/whatever you want to feel.

Friends, Romans, basenoters

Happy St Valentine's Day, or all love and happiness, depending where you are.

Today I am spending my fete d'amour with the lady who taught me to love feminine fragrance.

Gres Cabochard

She won't mind me telling you that though she's a vintage sort of a lady she's still much more beautiful than many of the pretty young things running around these days.

You'll be able to catch my fully fledged thoughts on my 'Un Premier Amour' in just a few hours time (the brief lines I've already written on her were frankly a juvenile insult).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk-ZiIwamHY

In the meantime the ballot goes on... One more vote for all...

What will I wear Friday 15th February?

Choose from the following 10:

Estée Lauder Sensuous

Estée Lauder Knowing

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Dior Diorissimo

Caron Parfum Sacre

Robert Piguet Bandit

Britney Spears Fantasy

Carven Ma Griffe

Or the newcomer...

Remember all previous votes count towards a fragrance's running total and you have two votes if you didn't use one yesterday.

You have just under 20 hours until The Perfumed Dandy's Hit Parade

http://theperfumeddandy.com/about/th...ys-hit-parade/

Is sprung on the world.

I'll still be posting the voting on here for the time being, but this and the future of reviews are under review so to speak (monster threads and reflections are taking up to much space for some people who are taking up too much of my time). Anyway more of that anon.

You can now check out my thoughts on...

Paco Rabanne La Nuit

And from tomorrow on this grande dame too...

Gres Cabochard

Thanks for giving me a fair hearing!

Have to say Shalimar.