Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Default Re: What female scents are even deadlier on the male?

Here's a slightly revisited version of my review of

Prada Prada (Amber)

If there is anymore eloquent an expression of the pseudo-futuristic, elegant, etiolated 'exotic' fragrances of today than Prada Amber, I have yet to come across it.

This highly engineered, over designed and too thought out exercise in perfume politics achieves exactly what it feels it must, and precisely no more.

Truly it is an unhappy utopia of a perfume.

It is a swift, clean scent-generating machine that gathers in the consumers' cash by offering up a series of populist-formulaic chords: amber and patchouli, a slight Levantine baseline: vanilla, benzoin , something unnoticeably anonymously floral.

Everything in fact that is 'bound to please the crowd'.

For all its symmetry and design-led precision it is ultimately an act of conceptual cynicism cooked up by big corporate interests.

It is the military industrial complex of decorative smells.

I prefer perfume created by artists to the essence of engineers, economists and silent egos.

Man, woman?

It wouldn’t matter if a machine wore this, it would be equally as soulless.

This is the concise version. The full length review, with rather fetching pictures is on The Perfumed Dandy...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/03/...nsored-letter/
    Assiduosity is The Perfumed Dandy, get to know him better at http://theperfumeddandy.com/

Basenotes Plus

I did read that bit of scent adventure from Purple Rose of Cairo. I too am intrigued by the lotus scent as I don't recall any fragrances bearing that note.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I did read that bit of scent adventure from Purple Rose of Cairo. I too am intrigued by the lotus scent as I don't recall any fragrances bearing that note.
    Exactly what I thought Diamondflame so I went ad checked and apparently it is present in quite a few the most famous probably being

Hermes Jardin au Nil
    and L'Eau d'Issey - original female version and numerous flankers.

Just goes to show!

Yet, I've never heard it mentioned in any fragrance reviews or commentaries ever.

- - - Updated - - -

It's Wednesday morning here in London. The lines are closed and voting is over.

Today, the 20th of March, I will be wearing...

Diptyque Do Son

What will I wear Thursday 21st March?

Choose from the following 10:

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Estée Lauder Very Estee

Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights

Amouage Interlude Woman

By Kilian Beyond Love

Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds

Juliette Has A Gun Calamity J.

Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau

Vivienne Westwood Boudoir

Or the newcomer...

Narciso Rodriguez Narciso Rodriguez For Her

Remember all previous votes count towards a fragrance's running total and every participant gets a new vote every day!
    Assiduosity is The Perfumed Dandy, get to know him better at http://theperfumeddandy.com/

Would be interesting to hear your opinion about Calamity J.

I'm also voting for Calamity J. I keep wanting to try Juliette Has A Gun just for the name, even though I suspect I wouldn't like any of them...

I love your story-reviews madly, Assiduosity. They're masterful.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    I'm also voting for Calamity J. I keep wanting to try Juliette Has A Gun just for the name, even though I suspect I wouldn't like any of them...

Do you like oud? I've tried Arabian Nights by J del Pozo and thought it was fantastic. The only reason I bring that fragrance up is because people have said that that fragrance and Midnight Oud by Juliette Has A Gun are nearly identical.

Yes, Diamondflame, Sur le Nil has a lovely, watery floral note that is the lotus. Quite nice, actually.

Changing my vote to NR for Her.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    Do you like oud? I've tried Arabian Nights by J del Pozo and thought it was fantastic. The only reason I bring that fragrance up is because people have said that that fragrance and Midnight Oud by Juliette Has A Gun are nearly identical.
    I'm not sure. I've not encountered it solitary in the wild yet. I've got Slumberhouse Vikt which people say has a strong oud note in it, but it smells mostly of balsam fir to me.

It sounds like something I would like -- but I've thought that so often about perfume things and been wrong!

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through your journey. Not sure if it has been suggested before: Donna Karan Gold. Beautiful amber and lily.

Blog Entries

Voting again for Beyond Love.

On the subject of lotus; l owned & loved a bottle of The Body Shop's Lotus Oil back in the 80s, when they used to have a "perfume bar" of single-note oils in their shops. lt was a sweet, heady, rich & warm floral that always got compliments & lasted all day. So sad that they discontinued most of these.
    l think this is different from the more aquatic waterlily-type of lotus.
    Aftelier's Secret Garden has a "blue lotus" note which may be of interest; see freddie's wonderful review of it on his Smellythoughts blog.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post

Thank you for your kind words CompassRose - I'm glad you're enjoying the reviews as there are quite a lot more on the way!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    I do like oud - and note that it is a note that is not nearly as present in female perfumery as it is male.

I'm very interested in the comparison between these two and am know more eager than ever to try out Midnight Oud - so will log that one down as another recommendation for the long list!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flamechief View Post
    I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through your journey. Not sure if it has been suggested before: Donna Karan Gold. Beautiful amber and lily.
    Donna Karan Gold has in fact won the poll and the review will be on its way soon - it's just under development at the moment, but thank you for the suggestion and do keep them coming!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I do remember those perfume bars and with great fondness.

I really feel that Body Shop were well ahead of the times (or perhaps harking back to another time) with that concept - how I wish they would bring them back, or even possibly introduce and oils mixing set, that would be enormous fun...!

- - - Updated - - -

This one was quite a wonderful experience...

Jolie Madame by Balmain

Jolie Madame, even in the latest toilette, stands as a salutary reminder of a previous kind of perfume.

It is a more careworn and perhaps caring sort of scent, one which seeks not to portray a perfected idea of the world but rather to suggest memories and make associations that are more real and realistically rough edged and imperfect.

It all starts with a phalanx of surprisingly savoury sweet violets.

The reason for this unsyrupy tone is quickly revealed as a slightly decayed structure of oakmoss, vetiver and animal smells, principally leather.

As the initially plush floral note fades, but never disappears, this leather truly comes to the fore and shows itself to be of an older, battered jacket type, aromatically weathered with coriander, petitgrain and not too much tobacco smoke.

Like an actual leather jacket, once one is accustomed to the scent it can tend to be subsumed into notions of the person who’s wearing it and when they have worn it.

In this sense Jolie Madame is a memory scent, a doorway into different pasts and places according to the whim of those who wear it and those who smell it.

Unlike so many contemporary perfumes, this sympathetically reformulated 1950s classic, does not close us in to a simple reading, but allows a little free thinking.

If only more fragrances today were as keen on freedom.

One has the sense that this could be quite as Jolie for a Monsieur as a Madame.

As always, this is the concise version of the review (or this thread would be even more enormous than it is!) the longer story reflection is over on The Perfumed Dandy, just click blow to be transported there...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/03/20/falling-in-love-again-jolie-madame-by-balmain-the-perfumed-dandys-scented-letter/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Voting again for Beyond Love.

On the subject of lotus; l owned & loved a bottle of The Body Shop's Lotus Oil back in the 80s, when they used to have a "perfume bar" of single-note oils in their shops. lt was a sweet, heady, rich & warm floral that always got compliments & lasted all day. So sad that they discontinued most of these.
    l think this is different from the more aquatic waterlily-type of lotus.
    Aftelier's Secret Garden has a "blue lotus" note which may be of interest; see freddie's wonderful review of it on his Smellythoughts blog.
    Oh I do remember those perfume bars and with great fondness.

I really feel that Body Shop were well ahead of the times (or perhaps harking back to another time) with that concept - how I wish they would bring them back, or even possibly introduce and oils mixing set, that would be enormous fun...!

- - - Updated - - -

It's Thursday morning here in London. The lines are closed and voting is over.

Today, the 21st of March, I will be wearing...

By Kilian Beyond Love

What will I wear Friday 22nd March?

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Estée Lauder Very Estee

Amouage Interlude Woman

Or the newcomer...

Lalique Perles De Lalique

Remember all previous votes count towards a fragrance's running total and every participant gets a new vote every day!

If you haven't caught it yet, there's a review of the wonderful

Pierre Balmain Jolie Madame

on the database in concise form and in full on The Perfumed Dandy, just click on the link below...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/03/20/falling-in-love-again-jolie-madame-by-balmain-the-perfumed-dandys-scented-letter/

Basenotes Plus

Clearly I need a refresher on lotus notes. But somehow I can't imagine any watery florals being sold in an Egyptian bazaar.

Thanks for the heads up teardrop. I should try Afteliers. After all I am currently reading Mandy Aftel's book.

My next vote goes to L'Ombre dans L'Eau.

Egyptian Blue Lotus is a "water lily". It is often used in alternative medicine for all sorts of ailments, which is where I became familiar with it. It is quite tied to Egyptian history also. The Lotus of India is also an aquatic plant, although the flower looks a little different. I don't know if the smell is different in the two types, but the mental image is always acquatic to me since that is the category of the plant.

Speaking of aquatic or water florals - I'll go with L'Ombre dans L'Eau Lovely tie in, I must say so myself

Thanks so much for this info Cello.

I'm quite fascinated to what this might smell like and may well need to ask Purple Rose if she can send a sample over to London.

- - - Updated - - -

A review that may surprise a few about that most divisive of fragrances

Givenchy Amarige

Amarige is an explosion in a flower shop.

It is an over the top floral cocktail in which the bartender perfumer has thrown everything in the shaker, whirled it around his head with gay abandon and has apparently no idea and less care as to what will come out later.

The result is as lethal as a Long Island Ice Tea, as silly and Sex on the Beach and as downright camp as a Pina Colada.

And yet, for all that, Amarige is an adorable floral avalanche of an aroma.

This is scent as sung by Dolly Parton “P.E.R.F.U.M.E.”.

Indeed Ms Parton is the perfect metaphor for this heaving bosom of a perfume.

Like her it is seemingly sewn together out of the off colour off cuts of a thousand other stars, but in reality it is a skilful, clever, utterly unforgettable confection that has and will stand the test of time.

And as for notes? It has more than Dolly’s 2,500 tune-strong song book.

Is there a big flower that isn’t bountifully represented here?

Yes, everyone will point to the tuberose, but on closer examination there is gardenia, mimosa, ylang ylang, orchid and rose just as a start.

Then like every cocktail there are the mixers.

Here juice is very much to the fore, with the plum of the opening pairing off with violet to produce an accord that almost reads as juniper. Peach and cassis are just behind delivering a distinct overflowing fruitiness that threatens to but cannot succeed in overthrowing the flowers from their throne.

Oh and then there is the silage, let’s just say the volume’s turned up loud on this one.

Of course, people hate Amarige, sometimes one feels one ought to hate Amarige, so intense is the loathing set aside for it.

It is the kind of scent that folks are asked not to wear at work for fear of offending colleagues.

I feel colleagues should just realise it’s all a bit of self effacing fun.

The problem I can’t help feeling, the real reason why this fragrance gets such offensively bad reviews is that it’s simply not fashionable.

Once last time I’ll let Dolly do the talking for the scent:

“I'm not trying to be fashionable. Never was

So, the big money question, can a man wear Amarige?

Probably. In the kind of bars where they played big-haired country music and knock back brightly coloured cocktails.

Believe it or not this is the concise review!!

If you are up to the full version you can find it over on The Perfumed Dandy, just click below...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/03/21/too-much-is-never-enough-amarige-by-givenchy-the-perfumed-dandys-scented-letter/

- - - Updated - - -

It's Friday lunchtime here in London. The lines are closed and voting is over.

Today, the 22nd of March, I will be wearing...

What will I wear Saturday 23rd March?

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Estée Lauder Very Estee

Amouage Interlude Woman

Or the newcomer...

Parfums de Nicolaï Maharadjah

If you haven't caught it yet, there's a review of the intriguingly over the top

Givenchy Amarige

aove in concise form and in full on The Perfumed Dandy, just click on the link below...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/03/21/too-much-is-never-enough-amarige-by-givenchy-the-perfumed-dandys-scented-letter/

Looking forward to the L'Ombre review, as is Diamondflame I bet.

I'll vote for NR for Her

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Looking forward to the L'Ombre review, as is Diamondflame I bet.

I'll vote for NR for Her
    All I'll say on l'Ombre is that with this and Do Son I find myself having a growing affection for Diptyque's perfumes...

- - - Updated - - -

Many of you will have seen this before, but for those who haven't a review of a personal and unexpected favourite...

Estée Lauder Cinnabar

Cinnabar is the common ore of mercury.

Beautiful and toxic.

Perhaps this is why at Estee Lauder counters they keep this object of a certain striking beauty hidden from sight.

For there seems no logical reason to conceal this warm, generous and welcoming pseudo-oriental scent.

Yes it is a version of China about as real as the model factories and swarms of smiling children Pat Nixon met in 1973, but this perfume knows that it is half way to being propaganda and for that reason never takes itself too seriously.

A bright and cheery, flag waving entrance of citrus leads swiftly to an “hallway of the people” with a determinedly spicy architecture. Here, structural elements of near sanitary cloves and almost strident cinnamon ensure that other softer elements do not sag.

Thus, when incense and vanilla and florals and bezoin come wafting through their route is defined and directed and a brisk and clear order to the whole assembly is maintained, as though some benign school ma'am were keeping a watchful eye over the proceedings.

Perhaps this is where it all went wrong for Cinnabar: where other perfumes of this genre let it all, and then more, far much too much more, hang out, it kept its nerve and retained its composure.

At the time that might have felt a little too tight lipped, severe even.

Looking back it seems, just like Cinnabar itself: an act of unwaivering poise and impeccable judgement.

Is this a role suitable for a man?

Things have moved on and today there are such things as diplomats’ husbands I believe...

As always this is the concise version. For the full technicolor experience, with some rather fetch shots take a peek at The Perfumed Dandy.

The link as ever below...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/03/23/the-vermilion-room-cinnabar-by-estee-lauder-the-perfumed-dandys-classic-collection/

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry all, more posting errors!

Yesterday I work Narcisco Rodriquez for her for reference...

It's Tuesday lunchtime here in London. The lines are closed and voting is over.

Today, the 26th of March, I will be wearing...

What will I wear Wednesday 27th March?

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Estée Lauder Very Estee

Amouage Interlude Woman

Jacomo Silences

Guerlain Nahema

Or another rather exciting newcomer...

Lancome Cuir de Lancome (La Collection Fragrances)

Plus you get an additional vote over at The Perfumed Dandy.

Where an old review of

Dior Midnight Poison

Has found a new lease of life....

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/03/26/the-tea-party-midnight-poison-by-dior-the-perfumed-dandys-classic-collection/

- - - Updated - - -

A review that has been in the pipeline for quite some time, but feels very appropriate suddenly...

Estée Lauder Aliage

Estee Lauder’s Aliage is a determined and admirable attempt to bottle sporting summertime and make it available all year round.

As orderly and well managed as Centre Court on finals day, this is a fragrance marshalled with ex-military precision.

The opening is a brisk moss lawn made brilliant by warm sunshine. There are hints of citrus and a slightly malted fruitiness that tries but never succeeds in deposing tart as the chief mood.

This green persists throughout the heart and is without doubt the main accord, a definite resinous pine becomes apparent and then yields somewhat to vetiver.

There is a distant spiciness and a definite element of powder, but these seem medicinal, belonging far more to the locker room than the beauty parlour.

The dry down is more a three set match than five and seems to end quite decisively in a tie break that takes one almost by surprise.

All in all Aliage is a miraculously summoned up ray of sharp sunshine available on any day.

In the midst of foul weather we should all be truly grateful that such things exist.

This is without doubt a game suitable for mixed doubles.

Notice

Aliage has recently regained its missing ‘l’ and once again become ‘Alliage’. Sadly in so doing it seems to have lost a deal of its vigour and derring-do.

Catch the old magic where and while you can.

As always this is the concise (ish) version, the full review is at the other end of the link below over at The Perfumed Dandy...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/03/27/match-point-aliage-by-estee-lauder-the-perfumed-dandys-scented-letter/

Blog Entries

Just rescuing this thread from the wilderness of the fourth page.

Keep going Assid, l'm still waiting for Samsara, Stella, DK Gold & Beyond Love!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thank you teardrop - it was drooping rather.

Have no fear though, things are going strong. From strength to strength in fact over on the blog.

Might I promise you Samsara for next week by way of thanks?

- - - Updated - - -

It's Thursday morning here in London. The lines are closed and voting is over.

Today, the 28th of March, Maundy Thursday, I will be wearing...

What will I wear Tuesday 2nd April? (see below for details)

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Estée Lauder Very Estee

Amouage Interlude Woman

Guerlain Nahema

Givenchy Ysatis

Or yet another rather exciting newcomer...

Norell Norell

As it is Easter here, I shall be taking a break from the constant testing for a few days - though some very special reviews will be appearing...

In compensation, a special Easter vote giveaway...

5 votes each to be dispensed as you wish between now and the close of polling at 0600 hours on Tuesday morning.

Lavish all five on a favourite or split them as you will... the choice is yours!

Plus you get an additional 5 votes over at The Perfumed Dandy.

I know, my generosity (and perhaps foolishness for I will have to do the maths afterwards) are unbounded.

In the meantime there is a new-seasonally inclined review of

Thierry Mugler Angel

Up and running and can be found in concise form below and in full by clicking on the link!

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/03/28/easter-eggs-anyone-angel-by-thierry-mugler-the-perfumed-dandys-scented-letter/

If you're in a part of the world where this time of year is celebrated...

Have a very Happy Holiday!

- - - Updated - - -

A pretty substantial and highly seasonal re-take on my views on...

Thierry Mugler Angel

Angel is the quintessence, the apogee, the very apotheosis of a certain kind of smell.

It is the Everest of candy store scents. The ultimate of confisserie patisserie perfumes.

That it is expert is beyond doubt, but whether it is art is moot.

Opening with an array of boiled-sweet notes: melon, coconut, mandarin, blackcurrant, red berries and a touch of Turkish-delight rose, there is a moment, a demi moment when all seems as though it could turn out fruity.

Then massive waves of vanilla, honey and mainly chocolate and caramel break, washing away most everything else in their crashing wake.

At this stage it is customary to bow down before the genius of the insertion of a brusque storm defence of patchouli and to dwell on the animalic undertow.

To my mind both are invariably over stated: false pseudo intellectual alibis for fragrance aficionados a little ashamed of their gargantuan and no doubt carried sweet tooths.

This is ultimately an unabashed sugar festival that flirts half heartedly with darkness, but is ultimately no more than dark chocolate and salted caramel.

It is commonplace to state this scent is some sort of olfactory miracle. If this is true then sadly angels are both everywhere and decidedly average these days.

Are the customers at this store exclusively female?

No not all. And nor are the patrons of Amen’s coffee store across the way just male.

As always this is the concise review, for the full works click on the link below and pay The Perfumed Dandy a visit!

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/03/28/easter-eggs-anyone-angel-by-thierry-mugler-the-perfumed-dandys-scented-letter/

Cuir de Lancome x 5

Basenotes Plus

Oh yes, Cuir de Lancome .

It's Tuesday morning here in London. The lines are closed and voting is over.

Today, the 28th of March, following a massive holiday ballot, I will be wearing...

Guerlain Nahema

What will I wear Wednesday 3rd April?

Gucci Gucci by Gucci

Estée Lauder Very Estee

Amouage Interlude Woman

Givenchy Ysatis

Norell Norell

Or the newcomer...

Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka

You also get an additional vote if you visit The Perfumed Dandy

While your there why not check out a double review of

Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel 1932

Just click on the link below to be transported...

http://theperfumeddandy.com/2013/04/...review-part-i/

Have a great smelling day!!

Basenotes Plus

Cuir de Lancome

Still going with Cuir de Lancome.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Welcome Assiduosity.

I am not one for feminine scents in general. My favs tend to be unrelentingly manly juices like Yatagan and Ungaro I. I do own a few unisex frags (Zents Ore is a more floral/natural Fahrenheit, Jicky) but zero feminines.

However, one very much female-marketed fragrance -- even more surprisingly, a recent release -- somehow got under my skin: Shalimar Initial. (I'm not fond of Shalimar's powderiness. The new flanker has vanilla going on but not as much benzoin, to my nose.) Seeing the pink juice (from Guerlain?!), I was in a "girlfriend present sampling" mode, and was very surprised at the depth and maturity, considering it's marketed as an "entry-level" young woman frag. Next, I was surprised at the dryness of the citric-herbal accord in the opening, and the dry-woody-iris accord through the rest. Next, I wanted it. I've been holding back because I want to try the metaflanker Shalimar Initial l'Eau which is not to be found stateside and ought to be (by the pyramid at least) even more aromatic and bright.

The "caramel" accord does not register as the bittersweet brown stuff to my nose at all. Instead it manifests as a clear-as-bell sour cream accord right through the middle of the construction. In fact, it feels like a big splotch of civet is responsible for this 3D gourmand fascimile. I don't normally go for food associations in my frags, but this one scratches my itch just right somehow. I'm surprised by the lack of love I see for SI on BN, and very impressed by Mssr. Wasser's stunning creation.
    Me, too. I fell in love with Shalimar parfum initial at first sniff. It was to be a present for a friend, but it was a tester and I could try it on. It's been mine ever since. Any man who likes Dior Homme and DHI would appreciate SPI as well.

This - if you can find it

Body Shop Rose Oud

Now I am not saying anything about "real Oud" - but this scent with an oud effect and rose is wonderful - and apparently marketed to women - but its one very good scent to me ... a male and I wore it to work today and enjoyed every minute

Attached Images Attached Images

Have you tried Amouage Memoir Woman? Marketed to the female gender but is a powerhouse for a man.

Stuff like Aromatics Elixir or Mitsouko (yawn ...!) by sure & nearly every older Guerlain, Champs-Elysees excluded.
    My favourites are: A drop of Kenzo Jungle L'Élephant, Bandit of course, vintage Samsara EdT (applied on the shirt, if one can WAIT ... :-) and the definitive sleepers are Slava Zaitsev`s red version of Maroussia (a Jasmine-Knize-Ten) & the trashy MCM Obelisk (kind of "aquatic" Ambre Sultan).
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

All of them.

My wife loves when I wear 31 rue cambon, 28 la pausa, bel respiro, eau de cologne. I think the trick is to underapply.. not over.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    All of them.
    This.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Jicky in the EDP.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.