Code of Conduct

Default Cartier Declaration D'un Soir NST review...

Default Re: Cartier Declaration D'un Soir NST review...

The orginal Declaration is very high on my list. I will be trying this soon. I expect to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    The original Declaration is very high on my list.
    This is my preferred.

It seems that the notes I dislike most on Declaration are towned down. Must try to me.

And here is another review, by regular BN contributor Persolaise:

http://persolaise.blogspot.co.uk/201...-dun-soir.html

I got to try it in Harrods yesterday, and I got just 2 components come through, each one touched on by each review:

The "floral heart removed" rose
    The Cashmeran ("blonde woods") dominant basenotes

Yesterday, all I could think of was that the basenotes were very similar to something else I have smelt and couldn't place, a slightly sweet and very smooth abstract wood. Having read Persolaise' review this morning, this does now make sense - Cashmeran is used all over the place, so I'm bound to have smelt it before. I now think that the other fragrance drydown I was reminded of is Juniper Sling.

I don't currently agree with "excellent strength and sillage", it was a skin scent on me, very little projection. but it was still clearly there (when you ask your significant other to lean in and test) 7 hours later. Maybe this is the idea - your date "of one night" (are we talking a one night stand here?) has to get up close and personal, and it should still be going when they invite you in for coffee...

I did not get how this is connected to the other Declaration fragrances. Clearly I need to give it a second sniff, but first impressions are not, erm, impressive. Its completely inoffensive and 'nice', but when that's all you can say about something that is not a good sign.
    Last edited by andym72; 8th September 2012 at 07:20 AM.

I didn't read the reviews. I tried this at Bloomingdales last week. REALLY disappointed. Most of the notes that I love about Declaration (and the other flankers) are not as noticeable plus there are a few added notes that I don't like. I knew right away that it was imo the worst flanker of declaration to date. Even the SA said she likes the others better (not that this means much).
    So bottom line is if you like Declaration, don't blind buy this and smell it first before you buy.

Would the Cashmeran be what read to my nose as Calone in the dry down? I was really surprised to run into this distinctly aquatic/ozonic note in the base, which seemed out of place amidst the spices, rose, and vetiver.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I tried Declaration D'un Soir. It's okay, but I liked the original Declaration better.

Had only a quick sniff in a shop. Nice but wasn't exactly blown away. Quite sweet and didn't smell much like Declaration.
    Girlfriend didn't seem to like it either and said it's sweeter than the Bois d'Armenie she was wearing.

Someone else tried this fragrance yet? I`m curious to hear more about it! I`m still waiting for my (blind buy) bottle.

I have a sample of this and while I think Declaration is one of the nastiest B.O. scents out there, I like this one. Not sure if enough to buy however.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

It is all subjective...I liked the scent but not enough to buy it. It smells very nice but it left me wanting something a bit more interesting. If the rose had been allowed to bloom and develop, that would have pushed it over the top. It lasted quite long on me. I hope you like it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

I tried this in store twice this week and am in the disappointed camp. But then I'm a fan of the original; this bears little relation to it. The Declaration trademark spices you find in the original and the other flankers to varying degrees have all but disappeared. Overall it is very subdued. If the cumin of the original has you running for the hills, this may be worth a try.

Smells between ROADSTER and TERRE D´HERMES

Why So Serious?

Biggest disappointment of the year for me. I'm a huge fan of the original Declaration, but they made this very generic and fresh, no where near as ballsy as the original. A definite pass for me.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I found it a bit generic. I am willing to bet you won't like it Oslo-Fjord. The cologne on the other hand has some possibilities. Oh, and I should say, I don't know the original.

Quote Originally Posted by uruk-hai View Post
    Smells between ROADSTER and TERRE D´HERMES
    In a sort of way you`r right. I can detect some Roadster in there.. I liked it when i tested it some weeks ago. No I don`t care for it anymore. Ì have find out that I`m not a fan of Mathilde Laurent`s creations.

I tired this at Macy's and felt it was a castrated Declaration. I do agree with those that feel it is a skin scent with very little sillage if any. On my skin the scent stayed like a a scented soap after a shower very light and very faint.

No worth the price for me.

Basenotes Institution

I liked it when I smelled it at Neiman Marcus (in Tampa this weekend). I agree that the rose and basenotes sort of push this far away from the original Declaration (which I admire, but do not own...I only own the old flanker Declaration Eau de Genereuse). Nonetheless, I think it's lovely. There is a Shower Gel for sale also - which sounds fantastic.

I think the perfumer at Cartier (Laurent) is doing good things...I really admire her work.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac