Code of Conduct

Thread: Tauer

Default Tauer

So, I've tried LDDM like basically everyone and I really enjoy it. However, it seems Lonestar Memories and Orange Star are the only ones I hear mentioned. What others are worth looking into?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Tauer

Incense Rose and Une Rose Chypree are two that I like. I have heard positive comments on Zeta and also from the Tableau de Parfums line, Miriam.

They are all pretty good. My only gripe is that they don't come in larger sizes.

Incense Rose is pretty good IMO.

I really didnt care for Incense Extreme (ashtray scent to me), or Vetiver Dance.

The only other one I know is Vetiver Dance which smells like grass and roots mashed up in a bucket with some washing powder; ie green root slush. ' orrible.

LDDM is the only one I've smelled and liked.

Orange Star smells like something you mop with floor with.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I really didnt care for...Vetiver Dance.
    Same here - apart from the three the OP mentioned, I've only tried Vetiver Dance and Pentachord Auburn (I bought a sample set from Tauer). Vetiver Dance and Lonestar were my two least favourite, although I'd wager my hopes for a great niche vetiver played a part in my dislike of Dance.

While they're all certainly interesting, only Orange Star and LDDM could I possibly see wearing even sporadically.
    Tauer's frags all have this strange overriding plastic/chemical accord that turns me off, and I don't consider any of them especially wearable.

As I've said before, I feel this is more an artistic project for Andy Tauer than an attempt to create fragrances that could be worn on a regular basis; sort of an avant-garde response to the perceived generic world of mainstream fragrances.
    Interesting, yes, but not especially pleasant.

There's plenty of talk about most of them. The two incenses are very likable, especially the Incense Rose, very fizzy, clean. Lonestar memories is concentrated smoke. Many of the others have a sort of Tauerade, which is probably what turns tim off: it's the mineral, flinty, dusty base note which is present also in LADDM, under the ambers. If you are fine with that, you should be ok with most. Orange star and Rose Chypree have plenty; at times, I feel too much, but other times, they smell fine to me, go figure. There is some, in part, also in the two newer florals, which I like a lot, Miriam and Loretta (this second one a tuberose). Some of the newer ones are more hit and miss for me. Carrillon pour un ange is a strange attempt at lily of the valley, some love it, I don't. Zeta is a perfect linden, which is the problem, because linden smells like a household cleaner.

cacio

Last edited by cacio; 8th March 2013 at 02:17 AM.

Tauer is a funny house to me. His fragrance making abilities, to me, are top notch. He really knows how to combine notes with direction that ultimately leads to a solid opening with a dramatic, amazing dry down. That being said, I really don't like many of his fragrances. I think it's mostly because his house base formula is an incensy, earthy vibe that I just don't enjoy all that much (as cacio notes above). I owned LDDM and even so I wasn't ever thrilled by it (although it dries down to my favorite vanilla ever). Incense rose is meh- I love rose but hate incense, and I guess that's why. Lonestar Memories is meh as well. I remember liking Une Rose Chypree quite a bit, but I'll have to test it again to see.

- - - Updated - - -

Tauer is a funny house to me. His fragrance making abilities, to me, are top notch. He really knows how to combine notes with direction that ultimately leads to a solid opening with a dramatic, amazing dry down. That being said, I really don't like many of his fragrances. I think it's mostly because his house base formula is an incensy, earthy vibe that I just don't enjoy all that much (as cacio notes above). I owned LDDM and even so I wasn't ever thrilled by it (although it dries down to my favorite vanilla ever). Incense rose is meh- I love rose but hate incense, and I guess that's why. Lonestar Memories is meh as well. I remember liking Une Rose Chypree quite a bit, but I'll have to test it again to see.

Andy Tauer's humble nature and approachability alone make me want to explore the house more. Just like John "Kerosene", he comes across like your normal every day down to earth bloke. There's a lot to be said for that.

My favorites are, in no particular order:

L`Air du Desert Marocain
    Incense Rose
    Carrillon pour un ange

Most are nice.

The incense ones are very good too.

for swap/sale:

only one for me
    L`Air du Desert Marocain

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Une Rose Chypree are two that I like.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Incense Rose

+ 1 on the above and I'll add Carillon Pour Un Ange (a muguet with bizarre clear-dark juxtapositions) and Incense Extreme as one of the cleanest incenses around.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Andy Tauer's humble nature and approachability alone make me want to explore the house more. Just like John "Kerosene", he comes across like your normal every day down to earth bloke. There's a lot to be said for that.
    YES!

That's a quality I really admire. I agree completely that they both seem to have it, and it makes me want to sample even more of their work. I think I'm going to buy the Tauer Discovery set soon. I already own LDDM and I adore it. I've smelled Lonestar Memories, but that's a scent I'd have to wear to wrap my head around. It could be something I'd love - or hate - but I can't imagine being indifferent to it! Such bold stuff.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    YES!

That's a quality I really admire. I agree completely that they both seem to have it, and it makes me want to sample even more of their work. I think I'm going to buy the Tauer Discovery set soon. I already own LDDM and I adore it. I've smelled Lonestar Memories, but that's a scent I'd have to wear to wrap my head around. It could be something I'd love - or hate - but I can't imagine being indifferent to it! Such bold stuff.
    I was talking to him a few days ago on Facebook (illustrating my point!) and he said I should try Zeta for spring. So that will probably be where I go to next for this house.

Tested each frag 2-3 times of their entire line over the period from Sep-Nov 2012, bought FB in Dec for Incense Rose & Carillon Pour Unge (I already owned FB's of Lonestar / LDDM / Incense Extreme).

All others were good as well, but not FB worthy IMO...

- - - Updated - - -

Tested each frag 2-3 times of their entire line over the period from Sep-Nov 2012, bought FB in Dec for Incense Rose & Carillon Pour Unge (I already owned FB's of Lonestar / LDDM / Incense Extreme).

All others were good as well, but not FB worthy IMO...

I love LDDM, and Loretta and Miriam from the Tableau series.

Think I'm going to test Incense Rose again today.