Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What do you think of Coty Cosmetics Inc's Empire?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

3 60.00%
  • Nay

2 40.00%

Unhappy Coty Cosmetics Inc owns so many brands and fragrances...it feels so wrong

Here is a link to all the brands & fragrances that Coty Cosmetics owns (Cool Water, Calvin Klein, Joop, Adidas, Katty Perry) . What they do is buy other brands and rely on their superior marketing abilities, or launch celebrity perfume lines. It really bothers me. They don't care about fragrance. They just care about making money.

http://www.basenotes.net/company/102055
    Favorite notes at this point: Sandal wood, Oud, Frankincense, Rose

Default Re: Coty Cosmetics Inc owns so many brands and fragrances...it feels so wrong

You think LVHM or Proctor and Gamble care? Its called business, houses want to sell to bigger corps they are not forced to do it.

Bottega Veneta from Coty WAS THE NEW RELEASES OF 2011!
    DONNA

Default Re: Coty Cosmetics Inc owns so many brands and fragrances...it feels so wrong

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    You think LVHM or Proctor and Gamble care? Its called business, houses want to sell to bigger corps they are not forced to do it.
    But the bigger corps superior marketing abilities and such really ruins the industry and pushes people to have bad taste in perfume. People think everything should smell like Cool Water and Aqua di Gio.

But that is people's tastes, you cannot force anyone to buy something they do not like.

If people's taste is different from yours it does not make it bad taste.

If something does not sell then it is discontinued, simple.
    DONNA

But people really never get to discover notes of Oud, Rose, Jasmine, Sandal Wood, Amber, Cedar, Incense or so many other notes that are really beautiful. Most perfumes are just some ozonic chemical concoction. Maybe thats why fragrance/cologne gets such a bad rep from so many people.

The industry is not often based on long term wearability...it more based off of marketing and a 10 second first impression.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by hlatif33 View Post
    But people really never get to discover notes of Oud, Rose, Jasmine, Sandal Wood, Amber, Cedar, Incense or so many other notes that are really beautiful. Most perfumes are just some ozonic chemical concoction. Maybe thats why fragrance/cologne gets such a bad rep from so many people.

The industry is not often based on long term wearability...it more based off of marketing and a 10 second first impression.
    I think that different people are curious about different things. Probably the idea of seeking out single notes, or specific information about a perfume simply doesn't occur to most people. Really, we perfume enthusiasts are an esoteric bunch. It's hard to figure what motivates a person to look deeper into a certain facet of fashion or hygiene. Many people are perfectly happy with whatever is offered at the local department store or Walmart or the yearly bottle of perfume at Christmas or on a birthday. When I think about Coty, I like to think about the man who created the category of chypre in the world of fragrance. But, Coty is now a giant corporation and does what it needs to do to stay in business.

Coty have made some of the greatest fragrances in history.....

They must have the ability and the cash to do it again. I expect if Coty is too big now, there would be the usual mass excecutive, multi layered decision making processes that water down any good ideas into mulch. There must still be someone enlightened within there. Fight your way through... we are waiting for you...

I think it's pretty much that way with everything these days.

There are outfits with enough concentrated financial resources to buy up any thing, or any place, or any concept that might be even slightly cool. Or slightly necessary. Some of them may be wise enough to know that they shouldn't kill the goose that laid the golden egg, and will allow the creatives to continue forward with their vision, but I'm probably with most everyone else when it comes to seeing these sorts of mega-ownership ventures as a threat to all things good or interesting.

I know this is an extreme comment, but I somehow feel that the lack of taste and interest in the general public in fragrance is a manifestation of our shallowness as a culture.

Take Frankincense for instance, in the ancient world it was highly prized. Oman's economy (I believe) was heavily sustained by the amazing substance, but normal people in this day and age probably think it smells kind of bad.

Quote Originally Posted by hlatif33 View Post
    I know this is an extreme comment, but I somehow feel that the lack of taste and interest in the general public in fragrance is a manifestation of our shallowness as a culture.

Take Frankincense for instance, in the ancient world it was highly prized. Oman's economy (I believe) was heavily sustained by the amazing substance, but normal people in this day and age probably think it smells kind of bad.
    I don't disagree about our culture being shallow. What can you do? Fortunately, this website, and others like it, exist in order to further our education, in part. As I wrote previously, most people are simply curious about other things. Occasionally we have serendipitous moments and find something new and wonderful like perfumery. Have you checked out the thread about single notes? In it you will find robust commentary on all kinds of aroma chemicals. Look at Fragrantica, too. It contains lots of information about different fragrances and perfume components.

It is that area that gives birth to great things because of the general frustration of red tape all around. Humans were born to be freer than they generally are. There are many great things happening in amongst mediocrity. You just need to look harder.

Because they CAN! Let'em.

Well, this is why so many great niche and indie perfume brands exist, and are flourishing. So fortunately, there are a mind-boggling number of them to patronize, representing every style and budget, so you can completely avoid all things Coty if you choose to and still smell wonderful.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Well, this is why so many great niche and indie perfume brands exist, and are flourishing. So fortunately, there are a mind-boggling number of them to patronize, representing every style and budget, so you can completely avoid all things Coty if you choose to and still smell wonderful.
    Touché