Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chanel Antaeus

Default Chanel Antaeus

Anyone else a fan of this? I don't see a lot of hype surrounding it and can't seem to find any reviews on YouTube. What do you all think of this fragrance?

Default Re: Chanel Antaeus

I love it, a genuinely beautiful powerhouse, smoky, leathery, but not in an overpowering way, very smooth and elegant though strong

I think Antaeus is really an underappreciated fragrance in the Chanel lineup. I'm definitely a fan.

I like it and bought it but it's the only fragrance that I had that I got really negative comments on when I wore it. I only use two sprays and people would ask me if I have borrowed my grandmas perfume and make fun of me. lol I also overheard people making negative remarks when I was on a train commuting to work. And someone even had the cheek to come over to the window just where I was sitting and open it while holding their nose.lol

In the end I just had enough and did not want to deal with the hassle that came with wearing it and ended up trading it. Damn shame.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 5th January 2012 at 09:25 PM.

The best Chanel other than Egoiste.

It's a wonderful scent, but also quite unlike anything that people tend to consider "nice" these days. Definitely on my to-buy list, regardless.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat Nį 2

It's a very nice scent IMO.

A top top scent, and one of Chanel's best together with pour Monsieur and the omnipotent EGOŌSTE!
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Great scent. Reminds me of bandages and hospitals.

Blog Entries

Antaeus is nice! Strong, warm, and masculine.

A masterpiece in any formulation. It's one of the things I wear most often. Beautiful and masculine. I love the beeswax note in particular.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Other than the first 15 minute opening; where I spell a note my nose despises I love it.
    The base is amazing!

Blog Entries

Classic! Expect catcalls from the peanut gallery!

I like it very much. Haven't tried it on my skin, though.
    The ladies at the local Chanel store told me it selles pretty well, so it must have its devout wearers.

smells like my granny's wardrobe. not a big fan

Kind of outdated... A Tom Selleck fragrance...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    And someone even had the cheek to come over to the window just where I was sitting and open it while holding their nose.lol
    Lol

I do not like this whatsoever. It smells like "old man" to me.

I wear it, but it is not "in style" so I understand the occasional negative comments. Doesn't dissuade me from wearing it. A classic.

I had a vintage bottle and swapped or sold it. I found it too simple and lacking in dynamism. I also don't like the castoreum note in it. I can see the appeal, and it is a "statement making" frag, if that's what you're seeking, but it didn't hold my attention for very long (in a positive way), and the castoreum note just became irritating after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    The best Chanel other than Egoiste.
    Agreed!

It's a great scent for sure. But it's going to be one that is appreciated more by people who love good scents as opposed to trendy, contemporary scents.

It has a bit of an 80s vibe for sure, but it's bigger and better than that.

A lot of 20-somethings who love the modern clubber style scents cannot relate to it.

I too have it just behind Egoiste as the best from Chanel.

I think I said somewhere else that this one wowed me the most recently. Tested it a lot and I just wallow in it. The negative experiences recounted here are most unexpected and worrying. I can't imagine it being offensive.

I prefer Egoiste ,Platinum Egoiste and Allure over this one. Itīs considered a classic by many people but never caught my attention.

Oh, and I do enjoy 80īs fragrances but this one Iīll pass.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    A top top scent, and one of Chanel's best together with pour Monsieur and the omnipotent EGOŌSTE!
    +1.

Chanel's best. A timeless masterpiece.

Yeah, love it - leathery, smoky and expensive smelling!! The shower gel is worth getting too - it's almost as strong as the eau de toilette and fragrances the bathroom for ages...!

Together with Coromandel / Sycomore / Egoiste it makes the toplist of male Chanels.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Yeah, love it - leathery, smoky and expensive smelling!! The shower gel is worth getting too - it's almost as strong as the eau de toilette and fragrances the bathroom for ages...!
    I`ve been looking for the shower-gel for a long time. It`s totaly inaccessible in my country, and it`s hard to find at on-line stores.. :-(

Antaeus is fantastic, the vintage with its sweet rounded oakmoss base even better!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I like it and bought it but it's the only fragrance that I had that I got really negative comments on when I wore it. I only use two sprays and people would ask me if I have borrowed my grandmas perfume and make fun of me. lol I also overheard people making negative remarks when I was on a train commuting to work. And someone even had the cheek to come over to the window just where I was sitting and open it while holding their nose.lol

In the end I just had enough and did not want to deal with the hassle that came with wearing it and ended up trading it. Damn shame.
    The same happen to me.The comments like "Someone wears the grandma's perfume!" were the kindest ones!
    Last edited by pirop; 9th January 2012 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I love it, a genuinely beautiful powerhouse, smoky, leathery, but not in an overpowering way, very smooth and elegant though strong
    these are my thoughts, too.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garÁons man 2

There is only one review on YouTube on this scent and it is our very own - hs grandness, Le Grand Duc. It is a fantastic review and the scent itself is one of Chanels best. Although if you don't lie th mell of leater, steer way clear of this one

One of Chanels top scents for men.

I purchased a modern formulation about six months ago and just last week received some minis of the vintage. IMO there is no comparison between the two. The vintage has real character- dark and deep with that smoky full flavour. The modern formula on my skin (could it have been a bad bottle?) was powdery and lacked the depth and sex appeal of the vintage.

Anyway- A great fragrance!!!!!
    La vita Ť breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that the vintage has greater depth. It's a mellower, fuller affair. But the angularity of the reformulation has its own charms, among them a more modern feel, a more prominent beeswax note and greater longevity. As with so many reformulations, if what you're after is a sort of total physical presence, then IFRA regulations have disfigured Antaeus. If what you're after is great particularity of character and great invention, I don't know a better composition than reformulated Antaeus.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    I agree that the vintage has greater depth. It's a mellower, fuller affair. But the angularity of the reformulation has its own charms, among them a more modern feel, a more prominent beeswax note and greater longevity. As with so many reformulations, if what you're after is a sort of total physical presence, then IFRA regulations have disfigured Antaeus. If what you're after is great particularity of character and great invention, I don't know a better composition than reformulated Antaeus.
    I really appreciate your having made a case for a well-done reformulation. Too often the good ones get lumped in with the sad and pointless ones.

When I first smelled the new Egoiste, after having smelled only a vintage sample, my immediate reaction was to smile, wave the blotter around happily, and tell my Saks lady that I wanted a bottle. I could tell that it had been skillfully adjusted to modern tastes, while retaining the essential character of the old juice. As someone who enjoys newer releases, I was more than happy with it. In fact, I was almost more impressed by the brilliance of the reformulation, than I was by the classic goodness of the vintage.

I'm certainly not trading off my big vintage sample, but I do enjoy wearing the new stuff with abandon, and with the knowledge that it smells like it was made for 2012.

smeller

I must refer to the two last posts, and state that, unlike some older understandings in Basenotes, now I do feel that current …goÔste is much closer to the original than the current Antaeus. Being acquainted with both versions of both frags, I tend to seek vintage Antaeus and current …goÔste.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Smells great, but the projection and longevity of newer bottles is kind of lame. Otherwise I'd use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yiyi4real View Post
    smells like my granny's wardrobe. not a big fan
    You must have a wonderful smelling granny.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Agreed. It`s a smooth powerhouse, and not at all strong on my skin.

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

The only man I ever know who wore this was arrogant and utterly obnoxious. LOL. So no matter how good or bad it smells, i will always associate it with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Scottish Scent Lover View Post
    The only man I ever know who wore this was arrogant and utterly obnoxious. LOL. So no matter how good or bad it smells, i will always associate it with him.
    Maybe he was arrogant and utterly obnoxious but he definitely had great taste in perfume!

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

No, honestly, just a slimeball

Basenotes Plus

I just picked up a 4ML bottle of vintage juice. It is warm and deep, with lots of patchouli and warm bees wax in the dry down. The scent is a bit dated, but - wow - is it ever good. I had Egoiste Concentree on my left wrist and vintage Antaeus on my right risk, and was a very, VERY happy camper.

It's a masterpiece and I just bought an extra 100 ml EDT if this juice at 25% discount last saturday
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

I am 23 and wear this daily to work (Just wanted to break the age perception). This is just a fantastically smooth fragrance, and though perhaps a bit dated in terms of style, it absolutely is a classic. I have not tried the vintage, but something tells me that i would like it even more.

Quote Originally Posted by GelbeDomino View Post
    The ladies at the local Chanel store told me it selles pretty well, so it must have its devout wearers.
    Nice, Egoiste sells well too?

Fantastic.
    Vintage is better, the actual formulation still very good, but different.
    My girlfriend think it smells classic, but nice (she hates classic, but htis one she likes. She hate Azzaro, Kouros, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by GelbeDomino View Post
    Nice, Egoiste sells well too?

one of the best from Chanel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Frankly, it does nothing that Kouros doesn't do much, much better.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Frankly, it does nothing that Kouros doesn't do much, much better.
    Kouors and Antaues in the same sentence and you just wrote in my Bourdon thread that GIT and CoolWater have very little in common

Antaues and Kouros have exactly NOTHING in common - ZIP ZERO RIEN !

Like saying a Ferrari does nothing that a Hummer can't do better
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Kouors and Antaues in the same sentence and you just wrote in my Bourdon thread that GIT and CoolWater have very little in common

Antaues and Kouros have exactly NOTHING in common - ZIP ZERO RIEN !

Like saying a Ferrari does nothing that a Hummer can't do better

Yeah, okay. You have just helped make my point. Kouros crushes Antaeus like a grape, because Antaeus struggles after what Kouros does without ever gaining purchase. But sorry bud, Antaeus is an animalic fougere, as is Kouros. To say they have nothing in common is like saying Salaž's famous painting looks nothing like the Mona Lisa. The resemblances in general are there . . . but only one is a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Yeah, okay. You have just helped make my point. Kouros crushes Antaeus like a grape, because Antaeus struggles after what Kouros does without ever gaining purchase. But sorry bud, Antaeus is an animalic fougere, as is Kouros. To say they have nothing in common is like saying Salaž's famous painting looks nothing like the Mona Lisa. The resemblances in general are there . . . but only one is a masterpiece.
    A Ferrari and a hummer are both cars, Kouros and Antaues are both fragrances, yeah I agree to that.
    Other than that - I don't give a hoot whether they both are categorized as Animalic Fougeres, since they smell nothing like each other.
    They are both masterpieces in my mind and I adore both frags highly.
    10/10 in my book.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    A Ferrari and a hummer are both cars, Kouros and Antaues are both fragrances, yeah I agree to that.
    Other than that - I don't give a hoot whether they both are categorized as Animalic Fougeres, since they smell nothing like each other.
    They are both masterpieces in my mind and I adore both frags highly.
    10/10 in my book.
    Some people do like castoreum and labdanum more than civet. And beeswax more than honey. Myrtle and sandalwood more than raw incense. Understood.

i have a 100ml splash of the vintage and will be soon taking delivery of a 50ml splash as well. love this stuff, pretty sure that's what i'm wearing to close on my condo on monday wonderful stuff, i much prefer it to the current juice.

eric b

While I love Antaeus, this made me laugh hysterically!

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Kind of outdated... A Tom Selleck fragrance...
    Got a good laugh out of this. Not untrue.
    It's the only thing my father wears...he loves it! I can never wear it because it's *his* fragrance.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Andy Tauer said it was one of his favorite fragrances.

Personally, I like this one, but it is a bit too strong for my tastes.

I'd feel silly wearing it.

Cameron - I got a laugh out of the 'Tom Selleck' remark too - not just because it's complete bullshit, but also because Tom Selleck never wore it! Clearly he didn't have shit-hot, sophisticated taste like your Dad!

noirdrakkar - I never knew you were so uncomfortable with your masculinity? Just busting your balls. But you should learn from Mr Tauer's example - he's bang on with his taste too, just like Cameron's Dad! Hahaha.......

Despite my evident opinion of Antaeus and my brazenly smart-arse remarks (as expressed above), I would not bother with the current version of Antaeus at all. Limpid and pale.

I have a vintage bottle on my way and am frothing in anticipation already! I also have the modern version which I am rather in a hurry to get rid of!

Ladies and Gentlemen, thanks for all your comments!

i love this fragrance the best from chanel i think