Code of Conduct

Default How do people who wear many different fragrances....

get them out of their clothes?

I have long been a "single signature scent" person, but I've grown bored of the most recent one in the last year, and have been trying TONS of samples to find something else I like.

There are a few that are quite nice; nothing as instantly "me" as the previous scent was when I put it on the first time six years ago, but whatever. So it occurred to me that perhaps I could have three or four scents and wear them according to mood -- but how?

My full-wear samplings -- something, I might add, which I have done ONLY with the few scents I liked -- I certainly haven't tried it with the many, many I didn't -- have left my clothes reeking of a horrid mishmash of different perfumes. My winter coats smell of at least three or four things together, and I get mingled wafts depending on how the wind blows. A couple of shirts have been through the wash and still smell of the Trial of the Day. (I always use unscented detergent -- precisely because I don't like a big melange of scents about my person.) So does a dryclean-only blazer, which I wore on top of two other layered shirts, on top of my trial spray -- always a single spritz on my bare torso, which I allow to dry before dressing.

This is... not good. At least, not good for me. What do other Basenoters do? How can one wear different perfumes and not go nuts from lingering residue and resulting unfortunate combinations? How does one clear a scent out of a dryclean-only garment without taking it to the cleaner every time one wears perfume -- not something I can afford!

Or am I delusional, and does this particular fussiness of mine mean that the Single Signature Scent is my destiny no matter what?

Default Re: How do people who wear many different fragrances....

Never had a problem with dry cleaning removing scent from clothes nor with my at home cleaning appliances.

i haven't had a problem either with getting scents out of my clothing after a wash.

Well, maybe that's my landlord-supplied washing machine, or our extremely hard water. But leaving that aside -- what about clothes for which a wash/clean after every wear is neither desirable nor practical? Wool and cashmere sweaters. Tailored items. Winter coats.

I don't spray directly on my clothes, only on skin. What little rubs off gets out easily.

I've wondered the same.

What do those in colder climates do?

You can't wash coats and jackets everyday.

I'd hate to smell Vetiver of yesterday mixing with geranium of today.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I've wondered the same.

What do those in colder climates do?

You can't wash coats and jackets everyday.

I'd hate to smell Vetiver of yesterday mixing with geranium of today.
    Luckily you'll never have to worry about that.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

When ever I wash my clothing at home or have them laundered, the scent that I wore is removed. I never had a problem with fragrances lingering on clothing after it has been washed.

I don't spray my coat or jacket, so that's not an issue for me. My scarf smells like a mix of all my most recently worn perfumes, and it's the same, but to a lesser extent, with sweaters - since I don't wear each one as frequently. To be honest, I'm ok with it. It doesn't stress me out.

I've never had a problem with perfume clinging to my clothes post-washing, though.

I live in a cold weather climate during the winter, and I just spray on my neck and chest. When I do that, my fragrance rarely, if ever, gets on my jackets or anything else. If it does, I guess a little soap and water would do the trick, or maybe add some baking soda in there.

Spray on the skin and wait a while before putting on your jacket or use an undershirt as a barrier

I usually just...wash the clothes.
    I don't think I've ever had a scent stain a shirt. I also never wear the same shirt twice before it is washed.

I spray skin, the laundry zaps any lingering frags. If and especially when the occasional clothing item comes out of the wash still smelling like whatevs, I just wear that same whatevs when I wear that shirt.

I'm puzzled. My fragrance rarely gets on my outerwear, and when it does the cause tends to be obvious - I spray it on the back of my neck and wear a sweater over a collarless shirt, for example.

How high on your torso are you spraying, and how much? My first suggestion would be to go for your stomach and avoid your upper torso, and maybe to extend the dry time by a few minutes, until the top notes have burned off. To get maximum control, you could even dab instead of spray - for the experiment if not permanently.

Speaking of dabbing, is there any chance that the fragrance is somehow getting on your fingers and transferring to your outer garments that way? I could easily see that happening with a sample vial; with a spray that doesn't leak I admit that I can't think of a theory.

Or is it possible that you're extremely scent-sensitive? If you ask someone else to smell those garments, can they smell the scent as well?

I've never had much trouble with lingering scents after laundering, and I too use inscribed laundry products, my reason being sensitive skin. I find very little transfer to my jackets and coats, but any time I notice a little lingering scent it usually disappears in a short time.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Blog Entries

l'm sitting here in my dressing gown right now, & l actually adore the mixture of scents on it; whatever l've sprayed on in the evenings when l'm chilling out before bed.

l find that ordinary washing removes scents quite effectively from clothes. On the rare occasions when l've got something on the sleeve of a coat when testing something in a store, hanging it up to air helps it to fade after a few days. And Febreze also works very well in removing odours from outerwear.

l advise applying perfume before dressing, & a good half-hour before putting on outerwear to go out. Once it's dry, it really shouldn't end up on coats or jackets.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Spray on skin, wash clothing, be careful to not get frags on items you wish to wear repeatedly before another cleaning, etc.
    Did get Paul Smith's London on a jacket once...it lasted...and lasted...overpowering other scents.

Some of my clothes usually get zapped especially around the neck line. Creeds and my only Amouage are culprits here. Often I've been told my shirts "smell of me" even after washing, albeit only mildly. It's one of the joys of this hobby

I wash all of my clothes (including those made of wool), even coats... the most gentle cycle in the washing machine. Use a wool wash liquid for gentle items. Even delicate items survive the wash - I don't use the dryer and just put them inside a zipped washing bag (not sure if that's the right term).

Add a little eucalyptus oil during the rinse - that eliminates smells.

Otherwise, perfumes do not last forever - smells go away realtively easily. Always air your coats/jackets.

Although, I do agree that some (few) perfumes have the tendency to linger much more than others.

Pretty much what has been said in the aforementioned posts: usually, simple laundry is enough, but in the few isolated cases it doesn't, dry cleaning will certainly remove even the most potent fragrances.

I think people may have different tolerance levels for perfume residue on clothes - and some may not actually smell a faint residue whereas others would say is definitely there. I find that scents to tend to linger quite a bit, and I too find it a bit annoying. Some perfumes leave a trace that mingles nicely with some other perfumes, but generally speaking I don't like to feel several scents mingling on my clothes. Some perfumes cling forever to fabric, and are even difficult to wash out completely. Still, washing plus airing is the best way to avoid a scent soup on clothes - I do realise this may be less convenient if it is outerwear, but if it's a woolen jacket that has to be dry cleaned, perhaps try airing it when it is a bit humid outside (something to do with the water vapor passing through the woolen garment). Haven't tried this specifically for getting rid of perfume residue but both white vinegar and baking soda help remove smells (you can google for more info).

Does anyone here know if active charcoal works to remove perfume residue (it does to remove bad odours, but I have never tried it - only read about it)? If so, it might work to place active coal in the area where you hang your coats.

At the beginning I had the same problem, then I discovered two facts: one- the freshly sprayed fragrance tends to obliterate the old one; two- I love the subtle mix my fragrances do on my scarf or on the neck of a jumper...
    I recently discovered that highly concentrated fragrances tend to remain on wool even after washing (I wash my wool at home, cold water, gentle washing machine program), but I don't mind since I avoid fragrances containing a certain type of musk I loathe.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Maybe you should use scented detergent to cancel out the fragrance, like something with oxyclean or febreeze added.

A scoop of baking soda in the wash may help.

Have a different shirt for each fragrance.

No, kidding. But I don't tend to spray on clothes unless it's weak, and in that case a normal washing is enough to get it out.

I live in a cold climate. My scarves and shawls smell of ''me''; a lovely mix of the scents I wear the most, that rub off from my neck to the scarf/shawl. Disappears in wash. Never spray directly on clothes, though.
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

Just the regular washing machine does the trick for me. I don't spray many of my frags on my clothing though

Banned
    Blog Entries

only if a scent is weak will i spray on clothing, and a good washing shall do.

I spray only onto clothes (on the hanger), as I get quite a chemical reaction if I put anything directly onto my skin.

I've found that addition of soda crystals with some white vinegar in the wash neutralised pretty much about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Unifex View Post
    I've found that addition of soda crystals with some white vinegar in the wash neutralised pretty much about anything.
    Care to share a bit more info about this practice of yours?

you could just leave them in direct sunlight for a few hours and repeat that several times till you get the smell out, its an old trick from the sub continent used for centuries to get unwanted stench out of blankets or clothes also leather.
    But be careful as it can dull the colours a little bit, though a couple of times should be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Plaisir View Post
    Does anyone here know if active charcoal works to remove perfume residue (it does to remove bad odours, but I have never tried it - only read about it)? If so, it might work to place active coal in the area where you hang your coats.
    I use charcoal to remove the jumbled up smells of food in the fridge, just place small pieces of it in a glass and put it there, it absorbs some of the moisture as well and reduces the smell significantly. Never tried activated charcoal just the regular did the trick for me. Was thinking to placing some in my cupboard alongside my fragrances